Escapist Podcast: 007: Game of Thrones and Team Fortress 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

007: Game of Thrones and Team Fortress 2

This week, we talk about adaptations, specifically HBO's Game of Thrones and Alice Madness Returns. We also discuss Team Fortress 2, free-to-play models and answer some listener questions.

Watch Video

Sorry, but this won't load. At all. Not even slightly.

I think it's the length.

Ha its escapist podcast 007

zombie711:
Ha its escapist podcast 007

Dam ninja..
Also 1:26:29 as the total time? May breaking it up into smaller eps. might be more manageable.

I love this, but if needs more John Funk. :)

OhJohnNo:

I think it's the length.

I have the same problem -_-

ECasThat:

OhJohnNo:

I think it's the length.

I have the same problem -_-

Me too.

Ok what's that game you mentioned and Susan said really slowly.

Btw you made every possible point about free to play model games which is great.

Hristo Tzonkov:

Btw you made every possible point about free to play model games which is great.

Ummm...can you be more specific? Not sure off the top of my head what you're referring to.

Susan Arendt:

Hristo Tzonkov:

Ummm...can you be more specific? Not sure off the top of my head what you're referring to.

Well I heard Root's King or something but I don't get any hits.It's around 46 minutes in.Just after "Smoke the blood for 20" xD.

Oh thank you, now i have to watch game of thrones before wat-er listening to this.

I didn't have time to send in my questions! Will you still hire me?

Morthas:
Oh thank you, now i have to watch game of thrones before wat-er listening to this.

If you skip to 19:23, you'll bypass our discussion of Game of Thrones.

31:50 for the biggest problem in the gaming community.

EDIT: Yeah, I payed 2$ for it last year, and I've gotten over 900 hours out of it, so, I'm completely fine that TF2 is free now. It's awsome, and I say, if you wanna do that, then sure, valve!

Hristo Tzonkov:

Susan Arendt:

Hristo Tzonkov:

Well I heard Root's King or something but I don't get any hits.It's around 46 minutes in.Just after "Smoke the blood for 20" xD.

Ah! That would be Runescape. :)

Susan Arendt:

Hristo Tzonkov:

Susan Arendt:

Ah! That would be Runescape. :)

Oh god.Facepalm.

pretty fun convo... Alice darkness return, should have made wonderland a vast massive unique landscape that changes as u run therough it, and u can lterally run around in circle like a maze, with key puns, riddles and other stuff that u must used to lead your ways... finding your way through the maze of lovel scenery... story wise, u get to a certain area and the event starts... and certain places would have nightmare creasture xD jsut a concept =/= a good game.. i can see my flaws, jsut gotta spew it out now XD

Hristo Tzonkov:
Just after "Smoke the blood for 20" xD.

Was that smiley to note that you know it's really "Smoke the blunt 420"? :)

Still no ability to download the podcast? Only ever loads the first couple of minutes before I reach the buffering stage, and I don't want to sit at my computer listening to it. So, I don't think I'm going to listen to this one, even though conversations about game of thrones and TF2 is a great combination.

You guys address Subscription model and the Free-to-play model... What are your thoughts on the hybrid "Buy-to-play" business model (Buy the box, no sub fee. The best example of it is Guild Wars.)? Would you assume that because they're not charging subscriptions that "they don't care about the content" or "they know it's crap", as Susan said about f2p games?

Formica Archonis:

Hristo Tzonkov:
Just after "Smoke the blood for 20" xD.

Was that smiley to note that you know it's really "Smoke the blunt 420"? :)

My head is a mess atm due to lack of sleep so it kinda went over my head I just giggled when I heard it on the podcast.

PS:I prefer a 220.

Bring Your Dog To Work Day? Machinima had that a few days ago! Is there some sort of "official" day for that?

OhJohnNo:

I think it's the length.

Same. And if I have to watch that Transformers ad again I am going to murder something[1].

[1] If I've watched X videos already in a day is it really necessary for me to keep seeing the ad? I've paid my dues. Even Youtube does this somewhat.

The Escapist Staff:
007: Game of Thrones and Team Fortress 2

This week, we talk about adaptations, specifically HBO's Game of Thrones and Alice Madness Returns. We also discuss Team Fortress 2, free-to-play models and answer some listener questions.

Watch Video

Criticising Madness Returns on your wishes rather than what's there in the game (3D platformer) and was established from the first game, is biased. Math and word play challenges in Madness Returns would be even more badly viewed by game critics who already favour simpler games like shooters or action games. Lewis Carroll was a MATHEMATICIAN and a LOGICIAN, so he wrote from what he knew. American McGee is a videogame designer, so he develops from what he knows. Unrealistic expectations.

That would be only cool for Alice fans, like Steve Butts. You're asking players to bring out the old-school technique of notepads and figuring out puzzles on a snail's pace, and I would love that since it makes the puzzles deep and rewarding but it would pretty much make a small team (Spicy Horse) bankrupt.

What about the dialogue in Madness Returns? That was true to the adaptation of having the alliteration-heavy, whimsical Shakespearean monologues from the denizens of Wonderland. Deserves some credit.

Remember the last game that tried to have that level of system mechanics with its investigation, picture taking, characterisation, mini-games, puzzles, and shying away from combat?
Didn't sell well. It's now worse in this risk-averse phase of the game industry.

Can you guys please lean in and speak clearly into the mics?

Love the show, just I hate having to keep turning up the sound to hear what you are "mumbling" about.

Here's a very practical reason why the developer would rather you buy a used copy than pirate:

Pretend for a moment that everyone buys their games at retail, and the only game store in town has one used copy, and a few new copies. So *you* don't want to pay full-price for the game, and your money is either going to nobody, or Gamestop. However, let's say the next person has disposable income, but is still smart with their money. If you pirate, then there's a used copy available for them to buy, and all of *their* money goes to Gamestop. If you buy the used copy, then a good portion of that person's money is going to the developer.

So there you go: used sales help dry up the used market, so that future buyers are more likely to buy new copies.

The Escapist Staff:

Watch Video

Is there an iron lung in the background? It's really distracting, love the discussion though.

I loved Susan's response to the questions! Thank you for putting it so simply, I had a similar experience the other week and I realised that I had absolutely nothing to be ashamed about, the way I see it talking about a game is exactly the same as discussing a movie or book.

Look forward to these every week.

Love this podcast. Such a different tone then most I've heard, and that's good. Keep it up.

The second hand game industry is often said to be entirely negative for the publishers. A second hand game sale doesn't put money directly in a publishers pocket but it can indirectly. How many people go out and buy a full price game with the expectation of selling it on afterwards? If they couldn't sell it afterwards would they buy it in the first place? I've not done this with games but I've definitely done it with expensive books. Obviously second hand sales loose the publishers something but the any possible gains seem to be ignored.

Pricing scales for rating games?

You can go digital and still have a large collection of magic cards, with MTGO.

So, in order to be about being a gamer, it's don't be a dick, and don't be afraid to talk about it.

I may, or may not be a cyborg.

Also this is just me and I have said it before, I hate the term micro-transaction. There is no such thing, either it is a transaction or not. Is buying a 50 cent candy bar a micro-transaction? No, so neither is buying $3 worth of game content, it is just regular transaction. Also if there was such a thing as a micro-transaction, there would be such a thing as a mega or macro transaction.

It could just be the accountant in me ranting, but, seriously, I want to punch the marketing ass that came up with the term.[/rant over]

Though I perfectly understand the free to play model where you can buy more content as needed and wanted. It is so simple of an idea and makes perfect sense. It is just like giving away the stick/handle of a multi-tool with the basic lay out then charging for the various attachments, thus locking in a dynamic income stream. And occasionally coming up with a new attachment.

2xDouble:
You guys address Subscription model and the Free-to-play model... What are your thoughts on the hybrid "Buy-to-play" business model (Buy the box, no sub fee. The best example of it is Guild Wars.)? Would you assume that because they're not charging subscriptions that "they don't care about the content" or "they know it's crap", as Susan said about f2p games?

Guild Wars is certainly an outlier. It basically fits with every other multiplayer game on the market, but because it's an MMO it is instantly lumped into that crowd. It's been able to separate itself well enough to some degree, they are making a second one at least.

I'm personally looking forward to the next iteration. The first one ended up feeling a little flat to me due to its lack of a persistent world map. So unless I had friends online at the same time, I was sort of playing a less interesting single-player rpg.

cant listen to this one or the last one just stops a couple minuets in all the others were fine what changed?

She did it again! Where have i heard "be-a-cuase" before?! Its driving me crazy!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here