The Big Picture: Americana

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Americana

Adaptations with giant robots and Mexican wrestlers.

Watch Video

First!

Anyway you were right about spiderman leading to sentai, except they wanted to make a japanese version of Captain America in the same way but things didn't go as they wanted so they made a show with heros from different countries(all of whom are japanese) called Battle Fever J. Also they weren't the first sentai, the first was Goranger and JAKQ but they weren't considered part of the francise till the mid 90's.

Turkish Spiderman looks frightening. Those eyebrows.

Oooh, Americana, I love that album.

Okay, all kidding aside, that was pretty interesting, but it did miss a rather interesting re-imagining. Italian Spider Man. Go look it up on youtube. He can squeeze a pack of cigarettes from a rooster.

Love the show, but as a comic nerd I'm Dying for your Superman Continuity Episode, or possibly part one of said episode.

Wow you should make a part 2 of this since I want to heard more of other examples (now I'm google up this lady Terminator) and no I don't want to be reminded of that anime TMNT...

Ah who can forget japanese spiderman.

The delicious irony of a TMNT Anime.....

Looking forward to the TMNT anime episode. I'm kinda disappointed that Turkish Rambo didn't get a mention (although Bob could probably do a whole episode on Turkish film rip-offs). I've only seen clips of it, but based on what I've seen I've come to the conclusion that Turkish Rambo has to be one of the best "so bad it's good" movies out there.

gunpowder_saint:
Love the show, but as a comic nerd I'm Dying for your Superman Continuity Episode, or possibly part one of said episode.

Welcome to the escapist. Stay out of the basement.

OT: Trained guinea pigs, eh? I need to look into getting some of those of my own...

But on the other hand, G-force would have been a much better movie if one of the guinea pigs ate a guy's eyes out.

Wow, that TMNT ripoff looks awesome. So, when can we expect that Samurai Pizza Cats episode?

vxicepickxv:

Okay, all kidding aside, that was pretty interesting, but it did miss a rather interesting re-imagining. Italian Spider Man. Go look it up on youtube. He can squeeze a pack of cigarettes from a rooster.

"Shut-a your mouth-a pussycat, and find me a machiatto, PRONTOOOOO!" Italian Spiderman is one of the greatest things ever.

I don't recall King Kong ever flying around while wearing a hat.

Bob, you fraking tease. You poked my nostalgia button so hard with that TMNT teaser...

*shakes fist impotantly in anger*

THERE DOING A TIN TIN MOVIE?
my life as a six year old was all about tin tin.
and lady terminator sounds like a fun movie!

Urazel:
The delicious irony of a TMNT Anime.....

Lol, I remember the Shredder saying "Delicious Irony" a lot in the American cartoon.

Seriously though, TMNT Anime sounds awesome. I'm mean they're bloody Ninja for frak's sake! How could a Japanese studio possibly mess that up?! That's like saying Samurai suck at Bushido.

Also, Captain America Vs Spider-Man in a slap fight sounds promising, in an unintentional comedy way.

These things always go in circles. Akira Kurosawa's classic, Yojimbo, got at least 3 different Hollywood remakes: A Fistful of Dollars (western), The Warrior and the Sorceress (fantasy), and Last Man Standing (noir). But Yojimbo itself was heavily inspired by two Dashiell Hammet stories, The Glass Key and Red Harvest, and the cinematography was greatly inspired by John Ford's westerns.

vxicepickxv:

Italian Spiderman is hilarious, but it's a parody of this phenomenon. It's a spoof trailer from a couple years ago by some Australian comedy troupe.

Wow ..... just wow. Hehehe although those movies seem a bit too ... uhhhh .... weird for my tastes.

Ya know i would actually like to see more things like classic movies and such be animeified, it would certainly produce some very interesting results.

TMNT 2K3 > The two TMNT OVAS > TMNT 1987 >>>>>> Next Mutation

There I said it, Im not clouded with rose colored nostalgia goggles I can admit the original TMNT sucked.

-edit-
Almost forgot to include how awful next mutation was

A TMNT anime? Don't...know if want? Still, the idea that Spiderman gave birth to Sentai, which in turn led to the Power Rangers is pretty mind blowing. Can't wait for next week. I enjoy this segment more then your movie reviews honestly.

And that shows culture does not belong to anyone. Yet remake is not the same thing as loosely based. All of them (remakes) to be named as such must respect the core idea that was the original. Hollywood gladly toss that with a load sum of cash will be avaible to do that. Hollywood is not pro or against any political side in the US (even thou they are more liberal then conservative), what they want is pure simple cash.

Damn you Bob! Damn you and your japanese turtles!

Also.. it's the only giant robot ape thingy i've seen..

I think the obvious remake you're thinking of is Powerpuff Girls Z.

Oh Bob, you tease!

The usual difference is that the remakes you're talking about aren't remakes... They're just crazy ass shit with pilfered characters.

America tends to take a story or a film. And just remake the damn thing.

You honestly may as-well just dub the damn things.

I really don't see why subtitles wouldn't just suffice though.

I watched a bit of that japanese spiderman(no subs, had only a vague idea of what was going on) and could not stop laughing. Spiderman deserves a giant robot, the closest he got to that from the show was that weird nanobot suit arc thing where the animal people were.

We do good Americanizations as well, e.g. Insomnia.

When you cover the TMNT anime, I'd be interested to hear five seconds on how you found the 2007 CGI film done by Imagi. I found it to be sorely underrated for what it was, and had some outstanding visual design, but maybe your super-cinema eyeballs know something I don't.

And I guess Power Rangers is okay for the kiddies today, but I liked it better the first time when it was called Voltron.

Anyway, all this plus: great episode, plus: SAMURAI PIZZA CATS!

Bob, you missed a golden opportunity to use the Ninja Turtles theme as the closing credits there. I am disappoint.

On a more serious note, if anyone out there is intrigued by the notion that Spiderman inspired Sentai which inspired Power Rangers, I think it'd .be worth your time to give Sentai a shot. From what I've seen, it's more serious than Power Rangers, at least to the degree that the characters know to keep their mouths shut during the fight sequences.

Although be warned: you're going to have to settle for English-subtitled Japanese footage, not every series is going to be as good as the others (I've watched all of Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, for example, and loved nearly every second of it, but I've seen two episodes of it's successor Tensou Sentai Goseiger, and I don't really care to watch any more of that. I will when I get the chance just because there'll be a team-up movie with Shinkenger waiting for me near the end, but if I didn't know that I'd probably give up on it. Although I'm told the Sentai that comes after that, Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, is fantastic, even if you weren't a big Sentai fan.), and you might find yourself going to a lot of trouble to actually find the series' short of learning Japanese and ordering the DVDs and a player of the appropriate region from Japan.

The most insane adaption of an American Icon?

Wow, I feel bad because I didn't even know that most of this stuff existed.

dex-dex:
THERE DOING A TIN TIN MOVIE?
my life as a six year old was all about tin tin.
and lady terminator sounds like a fun movie!

I remember tin-tin as well from the books that were like hard cover comics.

I think it had a cartoon show as well.

Has there been a reboot of Asterix & Obelix yet?

What was that? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Bizarre Adventure?

Why does Bob have to talk so fast in this one? Does The Escapist suddenly have huge time constraints on their videos?

Sylocat:
Why does Bob have to talk so fast in this one? Does The Escapist suddenly have huge time constraints on their videos?

Maybe he's just enthusiastic about the subject matter?

And don't forget the American Movie remake of the Puppet series by British marionette makers... "Thunderbirds".

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here