Zero Punctuation: Infamous 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Anaklusmos:
Wasn't this supposed to be the 200th episode?

Yathzee didn't really celebrate his hundredth episode when it came out so far as to actually mention it a couple episodes later and what did he do then? Just play that intro song in full. Weeee....

If he doesn't want to make a fuss than I don't mind him not making a fuss personally online people get kind of annoying always celebrating a number.

Call me immature, but my goodness I loled at "or you can fuck a cow"

IMO they worked a lot more on the Good side and a lot less on the Bad side. I just don't think there's a reason to be evil. At all. What, taking over the city and being reckless? Well, then you should've given more destructive powers. The Good side yields a lot more practical powers, like Ice Launch, and...well, powerful powers, like Bolt Stream. Also, Nix is the most annoying character I've seen in a while, what a whining bitch. I'll give the Evil ending credit though, it made me cry, and I don't cry easily.

lionsprey:
Kinda disappointed he didn't notice the achievement that's really a homage/reference to his review of Infamous 1.

What was that?

Not G. Ivingname:
I think this is going to be his pick for game of the year.

nah my bets on saints row the third

TheFPSisDead:

jmarquiso:

lionsprey:
Kinda disappointed he didn't notice the achievement that's really a homage/reference to his review of Infamous 1.

What's it called?

I think it's called "extreme makeover"

Extreme Makeover is a reference to the first review? That's just a TV show.

I think "Well-Adjusted" would have been better. "Down-Syndrome Batman" might be another. "Electricity is just the thing for a collapsed young" also.

Furioso:
What the, he actually enjoyed a game that I also enjoyed? What is this madness?!

Madness!? THIS!!!!! IS!!!!.....The escapistmagazine.com, where gamers from every corner of the globe unite under this one HTML site and watch our ever loving Yahtzee review games.....hehehe thought I was gonna say Sparta.

I'm surprised myself he liked it. However I still need to Play Just Cause 2 first

That sounded like mild praise... Well done sucker punch?

Nah, I wish I had the money for this game, but I haven't even been able to get Portal 2 yet. And there are other games I need.

But I've been looking forward to this game ever since PS3 came back online and I was more than pleasantly surprised with the first game.

Personally, I like the morality system in the first game, because it had a reason to it. Aside from this way you get blue powers this way you get red. The powers were different and it made me play the game as a good character. Which I never do in a sandbox game, ever. It felt right for the character and I was pretty thankful for it in the end. And if that carries over to this game, I'll probably really enjoy it.

There is some damn brilliance in predeterming a player's karma BEFORE the game begins. First you wouldn't have to integrate some sort of karma system for the game; second you can just concentrate on really dicking around a sandbox instead; third you don't have to think of the karmic duality of missions too difficultly; fourth it would be a good exploration of a character's psyche, like two legitimate responses to one event that end in absolute good or absolute evil, a real statement on the flippantcy of the human mind. It's like if Mass Effect had a preemptive button that changes moral attitude, and if you choose good people are like "Oh Commander Shepherd you're so great" or "Commander Shephard haha what a sucker I can con it", and if you choose bad people go "Commander Shephard you are such a bastard" or "Oh Commander Shepherd we can make a partnership in my KITTEN NEUTERING BUSINESS." The plot would change dramatically--shying away from the overall neutrality of the plots we have now--and show the player the contrast between being a good guy or a bad guy, like Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde. For example the good side would have Shepherd getting its dossiers and information from planetary militaries, and the bad side would have Shepherd getting its dossiers from pirates and mob bosses and neo-nazis.

Anyway, damn. I predicted Yahtzee's big problem would be UGC. I even screamed out UGC! when he stated there was one problem. Ah well.

I've always liked the moral choices they had in KOTOR2. While it often does have the "be a dick for no reason" or "godly saint who feeds all the orphan puppies", it also comes down to some choices that really made me stop and ponder. Do you turn in the semi-blind technician who's been scavanging parts from the local government building, and in doing so, sabotaged their capability to defend themselves, or, do you let him go, knowing he will continue to destroy the things around him? Would you still do it, knowing that he was only doing it in order to save his dying father? That one seriously hit me hard

I have to say, the idea of letting us have the choice at the beginning of the game is actually quite good. If you are not going to be able to re-write every scene to count for five or so playing style (Evil, on the path to evil, neutral, on the path to good, Good) so the story flows smoothly then this is the very way to go about it. Give the player the choice at the start and then make the cut-screens designed so you get a good feeling of character depth during the whole of the game and not these bland, pointless, 'hero' and 'anti-hero' templates.

It is always good to see that I the only one sick with good and evil moral systems not based on the circumstances they are in. Cause face it, when you make a moral choice in real life it isn't based on 'will I be good or evil?' but a wide range of variables at that point in time. Not just 'am I a dick' but also if you are wanting to impress someone who is near by, if you are planning for a bigger betrayal due to revenge, have a irrational hatred or fear of something... I can go on and on with reasons people do good things for evil reasons. Hell, even if you are just having a bad day affects if you will be good and evil more then what we see in said games.

Never forget: The most evil acts in history are those justified that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

In games life Infamous having those sort of thought patterns leave you getting screwed out of all the good power up and other stuff in the end because you simply can not play this game like a real, rational, human being. You have to either be a saint or a dick all the way through and that is unbelievable, to say the very least.

Sure, maybe I am asking for too much like game developers to make the story part of their game five times just to make it all fit together with a more smoother feel... but if your not willing to do that, make the player choose good and evil at the start and write the whole story with more depths and feeling then some bland 'can swing either way' gray moral character.

I'll contest you on the system not making sense in this one. At it's weirdest, yes, it's a bit shallow. At it's best, which has more examples, you see a viable option (for the comic book themed superpowered individuals in question) that stays well within the boundaries of selfish, self-indulgent, self-glorification (evil), and the for-the-betterment-of-the-many selflessness that makes him a hero to the people, often risking losing something himself (hero). Consider the biggest decisions of both games. They follow this line to the letter. Does he save the lone woman he loves, or save a number of doctors instead? Does he steal medicine and break through the heavily defended enemy line to get the support of the people, or does he stage an attack that he ends, making him necessary in preventing further deaths? Does he sacrifice himself and others to save millions, or does he protect his own life at the cost of many other deaths? The morality is at least consistently directed, and does usually make sense in that light.

Nice to see the emotional endings getting some love, though. One, a tear-bringing affair with an emotional sendoff, the other a stolid, somber affair that is in itself rather heartbreaking, making the result a lonelier world. Well done, Sucker Punch, Well Done.

jmarquiso:

AetherWolf:
Huh... I didn't know Brits pronounced "St. Bernard" that way.

Not to sound like an annoying hipster but I disliked Infamous 1, so unless Infamous 2 is several times better I doubt I'll get it until it costs $20 at the bottom of a bargain bin.

What about endless player-made custom missions through the mission creator?

That was honestly one of the biggest problems on this great game. In order to prevent exploiting the UGC for experience they made it so you barely gain any exp at all. I also don't know about you, but I found most of the UGC missions far too tedious for the measly 50-90 experience gained. Well, except the "Cole - God of Thunder" ones - infinite health, no knockdown, rocket to the face? what? Psh... let's not forget infinite energy and a bunch of respawning dudes. Even then you don't get experience from any of the stunts or kills you make so it's pointless. According to the Sucker Punch forums it's based on how much time you spend in there up to the current cap of between 100-300... couldn't get confirmation. So yeah, UGC... no incentive to do them short of mind numbing boredom once you're done with the campaign and the trophies. So my final take on that... good idea, decent tools, poor execution. It's like Co-op in Dungeon Siege 3.

Oh, and on an entirely different note; Cole's voice and design is much better in this game than the first game.

I'm suprised he didn't mention the direction they're moving with the ending, but then I guess you can't exactly talk about that with huge Aeris Dies sized spoilers. I would havbe thought he would have approved of that.

lol Yahtzee loves sandbox games way too much

also the Assassin's Creed games to some degree despite their flaws...guess I'm the same with the latter and sandbox games kind of sometimes

Y'know, I recall on this very site one of the reviewers was talking about how much fun they were having being evil, but then said "the story's...meh..." and I instantly thought
"But the story goes to SHIT if you're infamous!" Seriously on my 2nd playthrough when I was evil it felt like I was playing a lame parody of the good story. but when I thought about it, I couldn't really put my finger on why the story was so much worse. But now that good ol' Yahtzee's worded my thoughts in a much more organized and coherent way (with a posh british accent to boot) I got lots of newfound insight to walk away with, it was also fucking funny. My new favourite review! They say the best stories are the ones that tell you what you already know.

I had a feeling he'd mention the INSANE health bars of the bigger enemies since that was my biggest gripe with the game. Very good show Yahtzee old chap. *sips tea*

I played through evil in my first and only playthrough and I thought the story was great.

Anywayy the only thing that annoyed me about the story is that Nix's switch from bad to good seemed tacked on and ridiculous (that she loved the stupid creatures sooo much that she was willing to kill herself just for revenge). People don't change their personalities so drastically just like that.

Other than that, an extremely solid series, Infamous 2 is.

Well, it does seem like an interesting game. I'll probably be getting a PS3 this year, because I now have a JOB! (YAY) So, I'll go for this, Infamous 1, Heavy Rain, and something else good.

Yeah I must agrea. The idea of having a good or evil choses in alot of these games. Really do not have much effect on me. Cause no matter what I do the game is 100% the same. Really if game makers add the good or evil system they need it to totally change the story. Make for you feel that this was a totally different game. Like in the good old days where games that epic stories that end with 4 - 6 endings with 200+ hours of game play to even unlock 1 ending let alone all of them.

Then again. The epic rpg games always had shit graphics so they needed the good story and gameplay to make people play their games.

Damn Graphics have killed gaming.

Being forced to live with choices you made can be an excellent source of dread for the player, but when the choices are so transparent, the effect is ruined. These game designers are really shooting themselves in the foot.

Moral choice needed to be different?

I might be the only one who noticed this, but I thought Infamous was about playing a lightning-powered silver-age superhero vs playing a lightning-powered silver-age supervillain. I don't recall 'making the hard choices' being appropriate to the genres that it was trying to be a simulation of.

The evil side is supposed to be about being a lightning powered asshole who destroys everything he comes across because of the sheer lulz. It's an Emperor Palpatine-simulator. It's a Doomsday-simulator. It's a slide-along-the-electric-rails-dropping-grenades-on-everyone-because-you-can simulator.

I'm actually tired of comic book video games going 'You can be the villain!' and have it mean 'You do almost the same stuff the hero does but with more bondage gear!'

Kudos to Sucker Punch for not going that route, and actually making villain gameplay the destructive laugh that it's supposed to be. This isn't Paragon vs Renegade, this is cartoon heroism vs cartoon villainy. And it's damn appropriate to Infamous.

My only complaint is that there weren't so many cut scenes split between the two playthroughs, unlike the first.

And you can have your iceleap. Ionic Drain is an I-win button. And Scythe Blasting into a group to be grenaded to death as they're stunned into doing nothing to stop you is a laugh.

Kungfu_Teddybear:

Roganzar:
Wow, that has to be the most favorable review I've seen Yahtzee do.

Except the one for Portal. But yeah I was quite surprised he actually liked it.

Why would you be? It doesn't have any of the kind of stuff he usually whines about (except for the karma system), it improves significantly over the first game, it doesn't copy paste content, and it has a great ending, not a sequel hungry one. I'd be surprised if he didn't like it.

TimeLord:
Why do game give stupidly generic names to enemies, cities and whatnot? Could they really not come up with a better name than "The Militia"? How about "Team Gonad"?

It's a comic book styled game so it fits.

Since he's favorable of this game, I really want this game now..

...which makes it harder for me to hold out for Ico Shadow of the Collosus and Uncharted 3 for this year..

daxterx2005:
Call me immature, but my goodness I loled at "or you can fuck a cow"

you're immature. But then I laughed out loud as well.

call me immature

Anaklusmos:
Wasn't this supposed to be the 200th episode?

WOW! Has he really reached the 200 mark? I know it is my own fault for not keeping track, but still I am very impressed!

TheFPSisDead:

Not G. Ivingname:
I think this is going to be his pick for game of the year.

Depends on how good Saint's Row 3 is :-P

Considering the gameplay trailer (can be seen on YouTube despite having age restrictions for offensive dildo wielding) that only mentions one gameplay style (wrecking the city in over-the-top ways like a car that shoots people it sucks up as carnival music plays), it sounds like quite a contender for the #1 spot.

It was pretty good. Looking forward ro human revolution though. Also, I apologize if anyone read my shitty infamous 2 combat FAQ.

Very nice to see Yahtzee actually appreciate a game for a change instead of just shitting on it.

Roganzar:
Wow, that has to be the most favorable review I've seen Yahtzee do.
I kept waiting for the big turd covered other shoe to drop and the worst it gets is that the moral choice system still sucks, (s shoe just not turd covered).

Not the first time he did this, either. I seem to recall about the original Prince of Persia game where all he had was basically nitpicking and not much else. A good game gets nitpicked, a bad game gets shred to pieces. That's pretty much Yahtzee's M.O., IMHO.

Also, LOVE what the imp did at the end credit. If Cole has so much power over electricity, why couldn't the villain just suit up in rubber/insulator suits and blast the fucker in the head? XD

Yahtzee, why are you speaking slowly?

It's good to see him actually like the majority of a game for a change some times. It's still funny.

I still need to play Infamous....

Dirty-sock in a fruit basket... I have to remember that one.

OT: Yahtzee's got a point with the "morality choice" feature.
You can't have the hero be a dick-weed throughout the entire game and then be revered as a saint just because he saved a puppy.

I mean sure; It worked for "W"...
But we're talking about the "fictional" world and as Arthur C. Clarke put it...

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."

PoweD:
Morale system is always going to be a problem until game writers actually write some hard decisions into the story.

COUGH WITCHER 2 COUGH COUGH

*Ahem* Sorry.

iamultraman:
There is some damn brilliance in predeterming a player's karma BEFORE the game begins. First you wouldn't have to integrate some sort of karma system for the game; second you can just concentrate on really dicking around a sandbox instead; third you don't have to think of the karmic duality of missions too difficultly; fourth it would be a good exploration of a character's psyche, like two legitimate responses to one event that end in absolute good or absolute evil, a real statement on the flippantcy of the human mind. It's like if Mass Effect had a preemptive button that changes moral attitude, and if you choose good people are like "Oh Commander Shepherd you're so great" or "Commander Shephard haha what a sucker I can con it", and if you choose bad people go "Commander Shephard you are such a bastard" or "Oh Commander Shepherd we can make a partnership in my KITTEN NEUTERING BUSINESS." The plot would change dramatically--shying away from the overall neutrality of the plots we have now--and show the player the contrast between being a good guy or a bad guy, like Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde. For example the good side would have Shepherd getting its dossiers and information from planetary militaries, and the bad side would have Shepherd getting its dossiers from pirates and mob bosses and neo-nazis.

Anyway, damn. I predicted Yahtzee's big problem would be UGC. I even screamed out UGC! when he stated there was one problem. Ah well.

Mass Effect 2 was fine in that respect, thank you, all they need to do is take away that big fat karma bar and they are set. The game had some CONSEQUENCES WILL NEVER BE THE SAME moments.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)