No Right Answer: Best Western Film Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Best Western Film Ever

Poor options to choose from won't stop Chris and Kyle from debating the best western film ever.

Watch Video

Pssh, naw. Best Western I've seen? The 3:10 To Yuma remake. Damn, I loved that film.

Good the bad and the Ugly, Blazing Saddles... one of the two.

I've tried to make the claim that Back to the Future had the best western ever, but now I guess I can never be taken seriously again. Damn Fievel.

Flutterguy:
Good the bad and the Ugly, Blazing Saddles... one of the two.

Ohh yess... those 2 are awesome... I'll have to add 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' and maybe 'The Magnificent Seven'...

I love cream soda...

I liked the arguments. Sure, I don't quite agree that either can be called the best, but then again, saying "which is better" just doesn't have the appeal that "Best Ever" does. Funny show. Looking forward to next week.

aww no more tinkerbell for ds in the background.

I wish I had some delicious Jones Soda....

Good episode. I never would have guessed in a million years the two films would be Back to the Future 3 and a mouse movie that never should have had a sequel.

Good Episode, I look forward to next weeks topic.

I'm just waiting for when the Jones Soda holiday packs, Turkey & Gravy, Broccoli Casserole and other flavored soda, make their rounds again.

Once Upon a Time in The West, Unforgiven, or The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. Cannot decide!

That picture of Arnold you had to describe a foreigner turned cowboy, you should have gotten a screen shot of him from The Villain. Fairly easy to Google search an image from it. He was called the Handsome Stranger, named after his dad.

I got to say Back to the Future 3

I agree with Chris on every point BUT I must admit that the movie lacked a gunslinger villain.

BTW if you're looking for a decent western comedy; look no further than...

Pfft... The best western is OBVIOUSLY either The Good, the Bad & the Ugly or The Searchers.

That said, based on the premisses of this particular discussion, I'd say the man with the beard made the better argument, in spite of the glaring lack of good villains in his film of choice.

I am quite enjoying these, by the way.

The Wild Wild West, bhua hahahaha, only kidding.

Has to be a Fisful Of Dollars.

That, and the
"Aim for the heart, it's the only way to stop me"
Cement it as untouchable in my mind.

This really is brilliant, and the visual aids sold it.

I like to imagine that's real product placement, because it would be so weird

The Jones Soda is real product placement. They send us free soda to review the flavors!

Definitely Serenity.

Actually wait, I'm only saying that because it's the only western movie I've seen...

...and it only counts if you accept "sci-fi western" as western...

So... anyone got any good examples of a western for someone who hasn't seen one before?

This show just pulled back on the throttle and got itself back in the air...I hope it stays in the sky. My additional argument is that Back To The Future 3 should've won and using the lazy eye was a really good way to win because just talking about it started to take over Kyles chugging ability and soon as Chris used it that was the final blow.

Overall Back To The Future 3 should win because the idea of Clint Eastwood was introduced to Western Hill Valley and Marty McFly turned Clint Eastwood into a real life character instead of a made up wild west hero.

Best Western film ever?

Star Wars. Natch.

Blazing Saddles, hands down. But if you must go the serious route, I guess I'd say Tombstone.

At least this new series is actually good, unlike that Drinking Games thing. Combined with Extra Credits, the Escapist is batting .667 on Thursdays....still pretty respectable.

Here are my top 5:

1) The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
2) Once Upon a Time in the West
3) The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
4) The Searchers
5) Unforgiven

WOAH!! Hold on now what's wrong with Mr. Tarantino!?

Also, his next film is going to be a westernish film and i bet it shall be good.

First dont settle debates with a soda chug. Its immature and juvenile, and it adds no validity to any arguement. If you have to have product placement, have the bottles out displayed the whole show and before you start introduce the flavor and blah blah blah.

Second...Are you stoned? Fivel goes west? Back to the future3? These are not true westerns.

Here are true westerns:

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

A few dollars more (A western remake of the classic Yojimbo, story was remade again in Last Man Standing)

Unforgiven

3:10 to Yuma (remake and original, liked remake better)

True Grit (both again, liked both equally)

and one of my personal favorite westerns McClintock

Mmm... I'm gonna have to disagree with the verdict, and not just because of the dirty tactics forcing the spit-take.

But anyway, I actually think the cut-away-to-visual-gags pictures have some great moments in this series.

Blates Star Wars a New hope

Hero in a half shell:

That, and the

I should mention that Fistful of Dollars is actually originally a Japanese Samurai film, though it was a good movie, I don't think I could consider it as the best western knowing that.

Primus1985:
A few dollars more (A western remake of the classic Yojimbo, story was remade again in Last Man Standing)

Pretty sure it was Sanjuro, Fistful of Dollars was Yojimbo.

Here are the top 5, not my top five, THE top five.

1. Kurt Russell's mustache in Tombstone
2. Tombstone
3. Silverado
4. Unforgiven
5. "Ah'm yah huckleberry."

Yeah I'm, going to stop watching this series. They're just adverts for Jones Soda.

Shame, because it's fairly amusing at times.

But there IS a right answer: The Searchers. I'm not a John Wayne fan of any sort, but I cannot deny the greatness of that film. It is the most grand western ever. It feels like you're living the 10+ years with the protagonists (in a good way).
Some runners up include:
Yojimbo, Dead Man, Tombstone, and if you're a Eastwood fan and you haven't seen The Outlaw Josey Wales yet, you must!

Are they trying to set the bar as low as they can so we can have something to discuss? I know this is called "No Right Answer", but they're proving they have bad answers.

You can not have a best western movie that is either animated or sci-fi.

Hero in a half shell:

That, and the

Much, much better than either one of those.

What about "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"?

And Tarantino? What is with that guy? Every movie is "great... for a Tarantino." That's like saying "That's a good painting... for a paraplegic." Don't candy coat it. The guy can't be judged against the big kids or we'll see how his stuff doesn't stand up.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

It's VERY VERY common answer but damn its just so cool and Tuco is one of the best characters of all time, such a nasty piece of work and brilliantly played by Eli Wallach.

mountie218:
Here are my top 5:

1) The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
2) Once Upon a Time in the West
3) The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
4) The Searchers
5) Unforgiven

almost matches mine (different order) but i would replace searchers with yuma(remake), it really stands up to me.

"Are they trying to set the bar as low as they can so we can have something to discuss? I know this is called "No Right Answer", but they're proving they have bad answers."

The point is that they have to debate with really bad options. Clearly neither of these are proper westerns. It's a joke. You laugh at it.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here