Trailers: Rage: The Legacy of id

Rage: The Legacy of id

The developers of Rage discuss their history with the genre and their goals for the game.

Watch Video

I'm interested to see how Rage will turn out, but I really hope it doesn't turn out to be your generic, gritty FPS.

Still, I'll be keeping an eye on this game.

This is going to be a good game. ... hopefully.

Looks like a mashup of Fallout and Borderlands and with better FPS mechanics.
I doubt it'll be another 6hour campaign, mainly multiplayer game.

I hope id software live up to their trailers.

It might be good, but I don't hold out much hope for it. The graphics look a bit dated, Id was never the storyteller, so there is just gameplay to redeem the game.

I'm hot and cold on this game. Some footage I see it looks great, and other footage it looks average and derivative. Really I'm most interested in Rage because once it's out then Id will stop talking about it and start talking about DOOM 4.

That music, western style... I'm having flashbacks to Firefly.

Looking forward to Rage, it could be a really good game.

Calico93:

Yet not a single bit of multiplayer as far as i have seen.

Phas:

Calico93:

I think you misunderstood him.

He said it doesn't look like a 6 hour campaign multiplayer focused game such as Call of Duty or any other FPS game.

Unless you meant to type Yep instead of Yet and your post means the exact opposite of what it appears.

*sigh*

That was an awful lot of build-up and name-dropping. And what was it building up to? Pretty textures and a high framerate. Yay.

Yes, they invented an entire genre back in the day. That's awesome. Really. But I can't help but feel that said genre has long since left them behind.

Rage looks like a very competently executed shooter, but nothing more. Certainly nothing new. Perhaps they haven't noticed, but there are a lot of shooters out there.

Ha! John Goodman! Made me laugh. Probably because I just watched Monsters Inc.

Anyway, looks... decent, I suppose. Guess I'm just getting FPS fatigue.

At least I know it'll be optimized to hell and back.

Don Reba:
The graphics look a bit dated.

What you on about? It looks more detailed than anything else out there.

id always pull off what they set out to do. Can't wait for Rage and Doom 4.

Still Life:

Take a good look at this or other videos of the game. The low-poly models and washed out textures don't stand up to the most graphically advanced games of today, such as Metro 2033 and Crysis 2. Id has been in denial of having fallen behind ever since after Quake 2.

This could have come from Doom 3.

Don Reba:

Still Life:

Take a good look at this or other videos of the game. The low-poly models and washed out textures don't stand up to the most graphically advanced games of today, such as Metro 2033 and Crysis 2. Id has been in denial of having fallen behind ever since after Quake 2.

Have you been following different game? The models look great and the animations smooth. Washed out texturing? Colors yes, textures no. Every environment is also handcrafted. This will make for a much more detailed game. Sorry, but id are very much in the game with technology and they know their craft. People who have played the game have constantly talked up the balance between visual fidelity and smooth, consistent gameplay.

Still Life:
Have you been following different game? The models look great and the animations smooth. Washed out texturing? Colors yes, textures no. Every environment is also handcrafted. This will make for a much more detailed game. Sorry, but id are very much in the game with technology and they know their craft. People who have played the game have constantly talked up the balance between visual fidelity and smooth, consistent gameplay.

I am not sure how you can compliment the game's graphics in view of the shot above. Handcrafted environments are not anything special these days; they were back in 2006 when Id first showed off its "megatexture" trick. Animation is quite good - I will give you that. :)

Don Reba:

Still Life:

I am not sure how you can compliment the game's graphics in view of the shot above. Handcrafted environments are not anything special these days; they were back in 2006 when Id first showed off its "megatexture" trick. Animation is quite good - I will give you that. :)

There's lots of screenshots floating around, many of which look leaps and bounds better than the one you posted, and a lot of gameplay footage which looks phenomenal.

With the updated megatexture tech behind Rage, the level of detail that artists can handcraft into a level is unprecedented, and it even frees up more resources for a system to use. Add to that all the mondern graphical features you'd expect from a top of the line engine. It really is genius tech. Don't get me wrong, Crysis and Metro 2033 were and still are wicked looking games, but id's new tech will stand toe-to-toe and bring in some innovations of their own. id have even gone so far as to say that Doom 4 will blow Rage out of the water.

Given what they're aiming for and that the game will be multiplat, I think it's quite an achievement.

Single Player FPS Games.

Thank You id. Thank You.

I still want to kick in your glass door tho, not as an insult, just as a compulsive act.

Can't wait. I always had a weird dream of buying a single item that would put money into both id's and Bethesda's pockets. I guess that's my gaming fantasy.

In the immortal words of some Unggoy: "I have a bad feeling about this" (You always hae bad feelings)

Game can turn out to be a very worth while experience but the more I see of it the more derivitive it appears. While solid, the overall gameplay will decide whether I feel entertained enough to make it to the end.

Zhukov:
*sigh*

That was an awful lot of build-up and name-dropping. And what was it building up to? Pretty textures and a high framerate. Yay.

Yes, they invented an entire genre back in the day. That's awesome. Really. But I can't help but feel that said genre has long since left them behind.

Rage looks like a very competently executed shooter, but nothing more. Certainly nothing new. Perhaps they haven't noticed, but there are a lot of shooters out there.

I had a bit of the same feeling and I'm completely clueless what the megatexture actually does :\
I don't think Id was left behind, but they used Carmacks brilliance in the wrong way. Other tech is now much closer, so they can not get away with something like Doom3 anymore. We just need more game, less tech I guess.

bob1052:

Phas:

Calico93:

I think you misunderstood him.

He said it doesn't look like a 6 hour campaign multiplayer focused game such as Call of Duty or any other FPS game.

Unless you meant to type Yep instead of Yet and your post means the exact opposite of what it appears.

Nope, I misunderstood him.

Still Life:
There's lots of screenshots floating around, many of which look leaps and bounds better than the one you posted, and a lot of gameplay footage which looks phenomenal.

With the updated megatexture tech behind Rage, the level of detail that artists can handcraft into a level is unprecedented, and it even frees up more resources for a system to use. Add to that all the mondern graphical features you'd expect from a top of the line engine. It really is genius tech. Don't get me wrong, Crysis and Metro 2033 were and still are wicked looking games, but id's new tech will stand toe-to-toe and bring in some innovations of their own. id have even gone so far as to say that Doom 4 will blow Rage out of the water.

Given what they're aiming for and that the game will be multiplat, I think it's quite an achievement.

I did not even try to find an unflattering screenshot - that was just the first game footage in the video. The rest looks the same. Just try to find a much nicer screenshot that is recent, not blurred, and not a pan view. Graphically, Rage looks a lot like Doom 3, and that game in its time was already surpassed by Far Cry. Nothing the video hails as unique actually is.

kingmob:
I had a bit of the same feeling and I'm completely clueless what the megatexture actually does :\
I don't think Id was left behind, but they used Carmacks brilliance in the wrong way. Other tech is now much closer, so they can not get away with something like Doom3 anymore. We just need more game, less tech I guess.

Game models are made of 3D meshes "wrapped" in square pictures called textures. Storing all of these textures in separate files is a bit of chore and could be wasteful, so Id decided to merge all of them into a single huge megatexture and let the game engine decide which pieces to load at any given time. It was quite a revolutionary idea back in 2006.

Carmack is certainly a smart guy, but there are others in the industry who are at least as good.

Don Reba:
Rage looks a lot like Doom 3, and that game in its time was already surpassed by Far Cry.

No. Even with the HD update, no. However, from what I heard, the Crytek engine was a lot easier to use than id tech 4.

I can find shots of Crysis 2 and Metro which have similar levels of detail. I don't think screens from a compressed video format are a great depiction of any game.

Still Life:

Don Reba:
Rage looks a lot like Doom 3, and that game in its time was already surpassed by Far Cry.

No. Even with the HD update, no. However, from what I heard, the Crytek engine was a lot easier to use than id tech 4.

We've got square heads and black shadows of Doom 3 with its ubiquitous oily sheen against soft shadows and somewhat decent materials of Far Cry. Although, Doom 3 scores big bonus points for accurate dynamic lighting. It's interesting, though, that at around the same time STALKER was showing off its DX9 renderer, which had large open areas, soft shadows, and accurate dynamic lighting all at the same time. That tech was made by the people behind Metro 2033.

Still Life:

[snip]
I can find shots of Crysis 2 and Metro which have similar levels of detail. I don't think screens from a compressed video format are a great depiction of any game.

The first screenshot looks pretty good, thanks to blur and lack of foreground. The second screenshot is not too bad either, but compared to the best modern games, it has pixilated textures, low-polygonal environment (crates with drawn-on handles, a dozen grass polygons), and all surfaces covered with the same oily material. It does have soft shadows, though, so I have to take my words back - it is a big improvement on Doom 3. But this is what it's up against:

http://uk.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/849120/metro-2033/images/metro-2033-20091201041454008.html
http://uk.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/849120/metro-2033/images/metro-2033-20100204093902251.html

http://uk.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/14354294/crysis-2/images/crysis-2-20100817104439901.html
http://uk.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/14354294/crysis-2/images/crysis-2-20100614021419717.html

Don Reba:

Still Life:

Don Reba:

We've got square heads and black shadows of Doom 3 with its ubiquitous oily sheen against soft shadows and somewhat decent materials of Far Cry. Although, Doom 3 scores big bonus points for accurate dynamic lighting. It's interesting, though, that at around the same time STALKER was showing off its DX9 renderer, which had large open areas, soft shadows, and accurate dynamic lighting all at the same time. That tech was made by the people behind Metro 2033.

FC certainly had a more vibrant style than D3, but the id tech 4 was the more powerful engine. D3 was also extremely flexible in its hardware scaling considering the huge amount of detail that went into each level. It has also aged surprisingly well even against the likes of Source. Prey 2 looks quite good. The character models were good for the time, though, overshadowed by Valve's digital actors which blew away everything and still hold up really well today.

The first screenshot looks pretty good, thanks to blur and lack of foreground. The second screenshot is not too bad either, but compared to the best modern games, it has pixilated textures, low-polygonal environment (crates with drawn-on handles, a dozen grass polygons), and all surfaces covered with the same oily material. It does have soft shadows, though, so I have to take my words back - it is a big improvement on Doom 3. But this is what it's up against:

I still think Rage will stand up with the competition judging from those screens. Metro has very hi res textures and I suspect those shots are for PC as that is the platform the dev touted most. I found that on closer inspection, the character models didn't hold up that well and a lot of the crappy textures found in game were mitigated by the great lighting. As for the polygonal environment, I'm not so sure. I found lots low res textures and low poly environmental detail in Crysis 2, also. This is not to downplay those games, because they were designed well enough that these things didn't stick out and draw a player out of the illusion.

At the end of the day, I'm not saying that Rage will be the best looking game period and id haven't laid that claim either. There's also a subjective element in that statement because there's a bit more to it than simple graphical prowess. One of things id have been touting is the ability to create an exquisite looking game with huge amounts of detail, which retains an average of 60 FPS on all platforms. That's not something to sniff at and is testament to the high efficiency and power ratio the engine has. As great as those other to games are, they both chugged (especially Metro) on console. Metro 2033 even chugged on hi end PCs and the graphical quality didn't nearly push things like Crysis did.

Regardless, I can't wait to give Rage a spin on an up to date PC :)

Looks beautiful and I hope to some day purchase it.

Wow, these people just can't seem to stop patting themselves on the back. Guys, you made a game, you didn't find a cure for cancer, so calm down.

Kudos for the single player focus though, we need more of those these days.

Enough talk! Release the game already and let ús decide how "awesome of an full experience" it really is.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here