Trailers: Star Wars: The Old Republic: E3 2011

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Wars: The Old Republic: E3 2011

E3 2011 attendees try Star Wars: The Old Republic for themselves and share their thoughts.

Watch Video

regardless of all the nay sayers, i definitely am going to at least try TOR, it looks like an MMO i might not mind paying for..at least for a few months.

I think this video came out last week, actually. Hm. Not so much a trailer though, just the customary little re-cap video they do after every fan event. I'm still looking forward to release, hoping to get into testing, etc.

I'm expecting some unwarranted antagonism in the comments below me... to all of you: I respectfully disagree.

More importantly; where is that trailer showing that cool dual-wielding Jedi and that Smuggler? Because I want that right bloody now.

Looks alright, still on the fence about it. Not really much to say about this video. There was little snippets of gameplay in there at least.

Hey, a Felicia Day cameo there.
Also, conversation trees in an MMO. Intrigued.

Cowabungaa:
More importantly; where is that trailer showing that cool dual-wielding Jedi and that Smuggler? Because I want that right bloody now.

This one?

:)

Well I'm glad to see that the demo game didn't disappoint them. Still I only interested in the game once the full spec is reveal.

Scarim Coral:
Well I'm glad to see that the demo game didn't disappoint them. Still I only interested in the game once the full spec is reveal.

Seriously, right? Good to see that first impressions are positive, but just tell me when it's finished and I'll have a look then.

rsvp42:

Cowabungaa:

This one?

Holy fucking shit it's John Marston in SPACE!!!

That was just...just... *weeps at it's glory* For the love of the gods, someone get LucasArts, Blur Studios and BioWare working together to make the most awesome Star Wars movie to date. Good gods that trailer is better than the 3 new movies combined!

Oh eh, yeah, the game. Well I hope it'll be good enough to be my new MMO.

Scarim Coral:

That is the full game. Bioware stated in a livestream that they stopped doing demo verions of the game at press events. Everyone who played at e3 this year was playing the full game, albeit with some tweaked characters :D.

Wow, EA are really trying to grab Activision's thrones this year. Battlefield 3 to take on CoD and TOR to take on WoW. I actually think they're in with a fighting chance.

The game seems interesting. Honestly I've heard plenty of people bitching it is going to be a WoW clone, I don't really care. So long as it has a damn interesting story, I'll be happy. Of course an interesting story won't keep my playing forever, but still it will keep me on the game for at least a few months.
I hope this game turns out well, and people start giving a damn about story in their mmos.

rsvp42:

Cowabungaa:

This one?

While we're at it, let's toss out all three, in chronological order:

"Return" [Opening Cinematic, E3 2011]
"Hope" [E3 2010]
"Deceived" [E3 2009]

Jonci:
Hey, a Felicia Day cameo there.
Also, conversation trees in an MMO. Intrigued.

Also Hillary and Jessica from Crabcats. Any other recognizable faces?

Cowabungaa:

That was just...just... *weeps at it's glory* For the love of the gods, someone get LucasArts, Blur Studios and BioWare working together to make the most awesome Star Wars movie to date. Good gods that trailer is better than the 3 new movies combined!

Blur is moving towards doing actual features. They've apparently been working on an adaptation of The Goon that's intended as a full feature. If they're able to expand into bigger formats like that (and/or if TOR and other new Star Wars properties do well enough) it's not impossible. I'd love to see it. The only thing I'd worry about is meddling from the higher-ups. When it's just a game cinematic and all the creative control is between Blur and BioWare, it's easier for them to make it cool and appealing. Once there's a movie budget in the equation and a lot of LucasArts involvement, it's not as easy to maintain that control.

To the people that say we're a WoW clone, all I have to say is: reserve that judgment until you've tried it. It's more unique than it appears, particularly where the quests are concerned.

Also, for what it's worth, I generally loathe playing any game that I've worked on but I actually enjoy playing this.

Take that however you please. =)

RollForInitiative:

Also, for what it's worth, I generally loathe playing any game that I've worked on but I actually enjoy playing this.

Take that however you please. =)

Nice, what do you do at the studio?

1:36 - my god, Darth Maul has stumbled into the prop collection from Tron.

Also, he stood in line 4 times? I mean I understand, it's just I think I would never be able to survive that. I stood in line for the first-ever Diablo 3 beta and I would never have thought about doing it again no matter the game quality.

RELEASE THE GODDAMN THING ALREADY!!! *sheesh* Also, I'd love to see some info on what the subscription plans will be. I doubt there'll be any sort of "lifetime sub" offering, but if there is, I'm SO there. I feel for my wife; she may never have any sort of meaningful interaction with me again.

the game's interface is nearly copy-pasted from WoW, and (for some reason) I noticed that the experience points are the also the same.

idk, maybe there is more to the dialogue trees that I'm missing and hopefully the combat differentiates more from WoW than what I think. I hope this game does better than what I'm currently expecting

Eh.. if only it wasn't set in the SW universe. Give me a Mass Effect or Dragon Age MMO from Bioware and I'd have it pre-ordered on announce day, but I just can't get into constant lightsaber schwing-schwing and copy/paste "smugglers." It's like the commentary in that recent Unskippable episode.

Oh well, I'll probably still give it a shot simply because I like most of what Bioware does.

BoredDragon:
the game's interface is nearly copy-pasted from WoW

Ehh, not really. Maybe you just mean it has similarities?

rsvp42:

BoredDragon:

Someone just got told!

Gazisultima:
Wow, EA are really trying to grab Activision's thrones this year. Battlefield 3 to take on CoD and TOR to take on WoW. I actually think they're in with a fighting chance.

I don't play MMO's but I'm tempted to try this one. And if they make it free-to-play with micro transaction system they will take over WoW.

tehpiemaker:

rsvp42:

BoredDragon:

Someone just got told!

This made me Giggle, always funny to see someone get proved wrong xD

OT: Well, at least they were happy with it, now all i need is the game reviews and high ho i is set to buy!

I'm glad looks different to WoW as well, the Graphics are kinda similar but if they weren't, it wouldn't be as accessible. Also...for some bizzare reason...i want to build my Star Wars lego's =\

arc1991:

I'm glad looks different to WoW as well, the Graphics are kinda similar but if they weren't, it wouldn't be as accessible. Also...for some bizzare reason...i want to build my Star Wars lego's =\

That set of screenshots doesn't really do TOR justice. The environments especially were gorgeous when I played. Great draw distance, though the graphics could use a bit more razzle-dazzle on the upper end before launch, I think.

rsvp42:

arc1991:

That set of screenshots doesn't really do TOR justice. The environments especially were gorgeous when I played. Great draw distance, though the graphics could use a bit more razzle-dazzle on the upper end before launch, I think.

If I recall correctly the devs stated at e3 that none of the in-game footage is shown running on max level graphics settings. Something about the limitations on either the PCs they show them on and the video capture stuff.

Also i would like to add that in the Alderaan video, that palace is probably the single largest structure I've ever witnessed in a video game. I played WoW for years and it doesn't even come close to that.

Cowabungaa:

rsvp42:

Cowabungaa:

This one?

Holy fucking shit it's John Marston in SPACE!!!

Oh eh, yeah, the game. Well I hope it'll be good enough to be my new MMO.

He looked more like the SC2 version of Jim Raynor to me...but then again, so did John Marston

Well that was a balanced recount of opinions may I say!

The Escapist, masking advertisments as media/news coverage since payed reviewes were invented!

Looks awesome...goodbye life, goodbye uni, goodbye money lol

Either i am going insane or the hype is blinding; because i see WoW on all but the story stuff in that game.

Just dosen't do it for me.

cieply:
Well that was a balanced recount of opinions may I say!

The Escapist, masking advertisments as media/news coverage since payed reviewes were invented!

It saws "trailer" right up there bud. Also, this video wasn't compiled by The Escapist, it was compiled by Bioware, it was uploaded a few days ago to their website.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
Either i am going insane or the hype is blinding; because i see WoW on all but the story stuff in that game.

Will TOR play like WoW? Yes. Does the graphical style resemble WoW? Yes. Are there numerous subtle differences that will make it different than WoW, as a game all it's own? Yes. TOR might be a standard MMO, but it's the subtle things (Reactive combat, full voiceover, AI party members, ranged-based tanks, etc) that make the game different, and in many ways, better.

P.S. Which is better? A time-tested successful game engine, like WoW, or an original yet failed game engine, like SWG?

Clonekiller:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

Will TOR play like WoW? Yes. Does the graphical style resemble WoW? Yes. Are there numerous subtle differences that will make it different than WoW, as a game all it's own? Yes. TOR might be a standard MMO, but it's the subtle things (Reactive combat, full voiceover, AI party members, ranged-based tanks, etc) that make the game different, and in many ways, better.

P.S. Which is better? A time-tested successful game engine, like WoW, or an original yet failed game engine, like SWG?

1. Nice calling in another post out of context. But for the record SWG had its own issues. But i interpreted what you just said(aside from being posted in malice) as "Do you think all MMOs should play like WoW or SWG?"
2. Define reactive combat because i can't get anyone to do that for me.
3. AI party members that function like pets/ With their own skills, talents, and abilities you control and guide?
4. So what ranged tank it still sticks to the trinity formula.
5. Full voice over still dosen't do it for me. Though it is good that we would hear something other than "Hello" or some variation there of.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here