Jimquisition: Nintendo of America

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

As a Nintendo fanboy, I say:
I agree. 100%. And this isn't the first time something like this happened. *coughMother3cough* It's been absolutely mind-boggling. I signed one of Operation Rainfall's petitions. I sent a little email to NoA. And really, to be shot down in such a manner is just downright disrespectful. I am kinda curious about the accuracy of that chart he displayed, but yeah, it seems mostly believable. The Wii does need more games than first-party titles. And now three critically acclaimed games are being kept out of our reach!

I can see SOME reasons to justify this. After all, the American gaming public generally hates JRPG. And there is the very real fact that not everybody who show interest would actually buy the game. Many would also wait to buy them used. But as Jim mentioned, sell it in limited quantities or take online-only sales or something. This wouldn't be the first time Nintendo did THAT either (Electroplankton), so "niche market appeal" isn't really going to cut it as an excuse. And two out of three of those games have been translated to english. One of the biggest aspects of localization is done. This isn't exactly some major Herculean task.

But I'd also like to point out that Operation Rainfall isn't done. So rather than resort to piracy, why not keep trying to get these games localized? That's just me speaking, anyway. I also know that people on this site do tend to look for any excuse to spite Nintendo, so the fact that they get some good games is merely a nice bonus. But hey, anyone who I can help get involved in trying to legitimately get these games localized is another person showing interest. No need to resort to piracy yet...

Still, on another unrelated note: Wow, Jim seems to have become a lot more popular now that he did an episode bashing Nintendo (as right as he was.) How fickle the Escapist is...

what blows my mind is xenoblade was the #1 preordered title on amazon for a week...something like 100k preorders...

I am really happy to see the mic drop make a return, I really wish he would just go back to the same style he had on youtube, but nonetheless he has improved drastically since his first video on the escapist.

one of the many reasons that i rage when i hear about fucking region lock or as i like to call it taking it up the ass from corporations

Spot on. Also, the very same thing is true for Sony Europe. Although to a bit lesser extent.

MatParker116:
Hey all of these games are coming to Europe thanks Nintendo of Europe!!

That made me laugh quite a bit...

Perhaps NoA is busy making plans to localize the games at the moment?

I love how people hate Jim. He should be given a medal for being the most nerd-rage inducing commentator.

I dont own a wii and I can still feel the Pain of not having those games coming over.

Alpha Maeko:
Herp Derp, we heard you like ipads, so...

lulz, well done sir, well done.

These decisions reek of laziness and disregard.

Reek.

"What's that? The handful of games that are exclusive to our console and actually worth playing? Nah, let's not release those. We're fine with just remaking Link to the Past for the 5th time, and slapping 3D on everything under the sun. That'll line our pockets with gold just fine."

DX

Stall:
[quote="Eri" post="6.298317.11836143"]SNIP

Im sorry but imo companies do act retarded especially the really big ones that have lots of red tape or daft company culture. While im not in the industry ive read tales from ppl who have worked in the Japanese games industry and the insane business culture they have, with tales of company execs green lighting game projects with practically none of the game design fleshed out, soly on the basis that the design document has a good title thats a haiku or some other horsecrap.

As for NOA we dont know why they wont localise those games, they havnt told us and until they do ill have to make a guess. And how I see it it doesnt look to good, ild say is bloody retarded.

Well, Zelda: Skyward Sword and Kirby Wii. Not that they're talking about Kirby Wii at all though, so it's amazing that I even remember it. But yeah, still. I don't particularly care about any of those three games myself, but if one is already translated into English, what is the problem NoA?

Also, hurray for the return of the mic drop!

Zeetchmen:
Can anyone make that herp derp bit into a file? I want to have it to play at moments ^o^

Just record it with Fraps or something,that should do the trick.

OT:Well it seems as the farther the show goes on,the more sense Jim makes so congrats on evolving past what would've been a show that was DOA.

You are right, Jim.

A sad state of affairs... :(
But with a big Internet campaign already failed to achieve success it seems unlikely that anything will change now.

Stall:
I'm sorry, but this is just pathetic. Okay, so you don't agree with a business decision they made. That's fine, but there is no need to be an immature prick about it. I'm sorry that you've just now arrived at the crushing realization that Nintendo isn't in the game to be your BFF, and actually tend to do their own things with the intent of what would be best for the company and shareholders because the entire rasion d'etre of a corporation is to maximize profits for the shareholders: NOT to make you happy and be your BFF. Odds say NDA didn't do this out of spite: they had a legitmate reason for not bring these games over.

Sometimes Jim Sterling can make a good point, but this episode is just beyond pathetic. It's like a little kid getting mad about realizing that gaming companies aren't our friends. Be a god damn realist about this, would you?

I just realized that Jim is what I always feared the Star Wars Kid would grow up to be.

But then again, now he's being paid for it, so I guess someone, somewhere, somehow thinks it's a good business decision.

Possibly the same people who build castles on swamps.

Best Jimquisition so far.

He's making sense here, can agree on all points and he's almost funny even.
Not that I really care.

the only episode of the jimquisition that hasn't actually made me feel like an idiot for watching it. i hope it stays more in this vein. he most certainly has a point, why would NOA let the wii go out with a whimper in the hope of porting games to the next gen, while giving gamers no reason to truly believe that the WiiU will be any different?

Anyone else noticed how Jim resembles Lord Varys from A Game of Thrones?

I can only say stupid publishers left us in the EU bleed and now for the first time, I'm happy to get something first... but I'm sad for all people in NA that can't play these fine games... but Jim got it wrong... the problem is EFFING STUPID REGION LOCKS which are illegal means to prevent game import (read: bought games) !!!!

*shakes*fist*

also what's wrong with EscapistMagazine comments? who would like to use the not yet five years from now "myspace" called "facebook" comments???

Threatening piracy is really the only way gamers can weild power against billion dollar companies. I'm not a Nintendo fan so it doesn't matter to me one way or another, but I'd love to see these jerks sweat over fans protesting the lack of release by pirating the EU version since they can't buy it in NA, which really does mean "WE DON'T WANT YOUR MONEY".

So if they don't want your money, that means it's open season as far as I'm concerned.

I stopped buying anything for my wii after they decided to jip us from Fatal Frame 4. NoA is really hurting the system. :(

Stall:
-snip-

His choice of words and his dressed down appearance is supposed to display the gamer side of him, and really just seeing the title of this episode gave me those exact same lingering thoughts. He is saying what many of us may be feeling. Even after large outcries over these matters NoA refuses to give exact reasoning behind their decisions even though the potential paying customers are sitting right there with raised eyebrows. Do they -need- to give a reason? Well I suppose they don't, but leaving us in the dark doesn't do them any favors either. I haven't used my Netflix Box in over a year for games, hence why I now call it my Box o' Netflix, and really I feel that could have been different had they decided to localize these games that actually held my interest rather than flaunting the never ending list of disappointing titles. :(

Stall:

Yes, and you and the individuals who want this game aren't NDA's sole demographic. Nintendo has a wide demographic to appeal to, and many different kinds of consumers out there who they can sell to. It's clear that they did not think this was a good business decision for whatever reason, and would not receive the profit margins to justify such an activity such as localizing these games. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I am saying that NDA, as much as you want to believe otherwise, did have good enough reasons not to localize these games, and their decision is just that. They have the right to make their own decisions, and that's all you can really do. It's bitter medicine, but you have to be a realist about this sort of thing.

EDIT: Honestly guys... do you seriously think this is going to even come close to scratching the money eating behemoth that is Nintendo? Nintendo and NoA are going to continue to print money like they have been. A decision to not localize a few games isn't going to cause the company to crash and burn.

Like I said, it goes back to this whole fallacy that people think companies are their friends... that they do thinks to make them happy and please them. And when they don't, their fallacy is shattered and we get a little fiasco like this.

What makes you think i want just these games? and all you're pointing out is that that NOA (and it is NOA, i dont know where you got the D from) are not worried by the emotions and feelings of one demographic of it's customers. i'm not saying people who want these games are the sole demographic of nintendo's customers, im just saying nintendo has many chances to increase the demographics of people who play their products, and they keep missing out on the opportunities because they wont localise games. So what if i might want to play Earthbound
I only wanted to play that after i played Super Smash Brothers the original and the Wii sequel. which is another thing, Why include characters in a fighting game you're releasing to everyone when no one knows and i quote "Who the fuck is Marth and why is unlocking him considered a reward?" Yahtzee SSMB ZP review. I didn't even know the other character that came along with Marth, so im assuming he came from a game that wasn't localised? it's the same with Ness.

Stall:
I'm sorry, but this is just pathetic. Okay, so you don't agree with a business decision they made. That's fine, but there is no need to be an immature prick about it. I'm sorry that you've just now arrived at the crushing realization that Nintendo isn't in the game to be your BFF, and actually tend to do their own things with the intent of what would be best for the company and shareholders because the entire rasion d'etre of a corporation is to maximize profits for the shareholders: NOT to make you happy and be your BFF. Odds say NDA didn't do this out of spite: they had a legitmate reason for not bring these games over.

Sometimes Jim Sterling can make a good point, but this episode is just beyond pathetic. It's like a little kid getting mad about realizing that gaming companies aren't our friends. Be a god damn realist about this, would you?

Ok so they're either being a bunch of dicks for not releasing it in north america for no reason or they're being a bunch of dicks for not telling us what the reason is or they're being a bunch of dicks for not telling us that there is a reason they can't inform us of said reason.

Pick one.

messy:
Anyone else noticed how Jim resembles Lord Varys from A Game of Thrones?

Yes. And it's awesome.

The stupid regionalism of companies certainly pisses me off since it limits the audience for a game but people who refuse to play games that aren't localized piss me off just as much. Even if Nintendo went out of their way to localize everything they published you NA gamers would still end up missing out on numerous game, if you really want to play these games mod your console or get a Japanese console. People who depend on localization will always be missing out.

is it just me
Or is this show getting better and better by the episode.

As usual you're reiterating what everyone already knows, but I really liked this one. We saw you as a gamer that actually believed in something, and you actually did some research. Keep it going!

Feylynn:

You miss the point so I'll break it down.
I had money.
They wanted money.

They had games.
I wanted games.

Now in math.
Money x Games = ?
Where: Games = Zero.

They don't care about me, I don't care about them very much right now.
They still own the equivalent of 47 solid gold planets and I'm an angry forum poster busy exercising my freedom of expression to other like minded bitter forum poster that happened to want these games.

Now I think we are having very different conversations here so I can give you my entire point in like 6 words.
"They did not take my money."
The end, there is nothing more to be gleaned from this data. The potential for money existed they chose to pay for that potential, and then not release the game.

playsaia dot com, japanvideogames dot com, videogameimports dot com ect ect. Does that solve your problem?

There isn't any more reason to get mad at Nintendo any more than any of those various other localization companies. Atlus and Aksys "deserve" to be whined at just as much, Atlus not localizing the Megami Tenseis, Aksys not localizing 360 versions of Shikigami 3 and Arcana Heart 3. Singling out Nintendo ignores that this same problem is true for practically every game company.

The worst part about this is all those games are in my favorite genre. Dragon Quest X is really the only game I care about for the Wii, so it would have been nice to have others to look forward to. After all, you're going to tell me stuff made by teams who created Xenosaga and Final Fantasy can't sell in America? Let's not forget that they would liven up what has been essentially FPS hell. The sentiment seems to be "all America cares about is Call of Duty," so **** them. Wii is nothing more than a waste of space in my apartment. Given that WiiU is little more than third party ports for systems that already exist, what's the point? This could have done a lot to help Nintendo's rep with actual gamers (not casuals like my parents), but it's just sad.

Thank you, Jim. This is the best video you've put out yet. When you're not talking down to the audience and outright insulting us for "humor", and instead put out some legitimate discussion that everybody can relate to, you can make some damn good videos.

Wow, definitely the best one so far. Satire indeed. One small niggle though: Nintendo have always been a fairly honest company... so giving the impression that they give a shit of any size would be lying!

Halo Fanboy:
There isn't any more reason to get mad at Nintendo any more than any of those various other localization companies. Atlus and Aksys "deserve" to be whined at just as much, Atlus not localizing the Megami Tenseis, Aksys not localizing 360 versions of Shikigami 3 and Arcana Heart 3. Singling out Nintendo ignores that this same problem is true for practically every game company.

Been a PAL shmup fan myself I cant afford to import a Japanese console so ill buy all the region free ones I can get and pray to RSG to localise the rest.

You do have a point though some US WII gamers act like this sort of localisation shit is new or something that rarly happens. Maybe its because the games like JRPGs have only recently become niche, but for anyone who is into other niche Japanese games like shmups or those living in europe and down under we are well accustomed to this kind of shit happening and have learnd to live with it(Thats why importing has always been rather popular in PAL areas) If I was to list off every Japanese game that I liked that didnt see a UK release ild be here all night. (I still cry myself to sleep over the Langrisser series)

Saying that, this particular case with NOA does stand out as retarded considering I can see nothing stopping NOA for localising them. That is apart from any marketing image problem and they dont want to risk their casual business. But this can be easily avoided if publishers use a genre grading system of casual and hardcore.

Atleast all this crap is bringing attention to the the whole localisation issue, hopefully something good will come out of it.

That answer they gave because they promised one, it was one of those political non-answers people like to give when they want people to shut up for a while. Hopefully so they can get their shit together and eventually give the real answer.

I'm happy I live in the UK and will be able to play these games but there is a bitter taste in my mouth because of this. Nintendo, people are begging to throw money at you, take it.

Well at the very least they haven't said no. I'm hoping they just gave than non-answer because they are sorting things out and they weren't in a place to confirm it yet.

And here I thought Nintendo was all about Mario...And why - cause most of the good stuff doesn't hit the mainstream.

Now, take that level of annoyance, crank it to 11, and you have Nintendo of Australia.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here