Jimquisition: Nintendo of America

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I like valve, anyone else like Valve? cause I do!

Jim, you absolutely nailed it!

Nintendo of America told its fans straight out, we do not want your money. If these people at Project Rainfall are serious, they should oblige Nintendo of America and leave its products on the shelf to collect dust.

Two words for you Jim: Thank. You.

The Last Story is a game that I've been looking forward to since I first heard of it. Also, in the past year, I've had two periods of time (lasting a few weeks each) when I've played my Wii, and in both of those periods of time I was playing Virtual Console games.

This drought of good Wii titles makes the dry spells from the Gamecube days look like oases in comparison.

And I can understand the lack of localization for the games you mention, IF it was legitimately bad decision to localize...but you clearly demonstrated that it would be a good business move. The games would sell, NoA would make money, and the fans would be happy and have more goodwill toward Nintendo leading up to the launch of the WiiU. EVERYBODY WINS!

But I guess Nintendo of America makes their business decisions based on something that's not logic...

I have no interest in these games, but yeah, Nintendo is shitty to its fans. Where the fuck is Earthbound on the virtual console, god damn it? I've read all the excuses, all the potential legal justifications, and it's a big old pack of bullshit. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to spend 800 wii points or 1000 or 2000 to play a game I've wanted to play for years. And for that matter, where's Earthbound 0 and 3? Or the trilogy on gameboy advance? It's this kind of smug self righteous crap that turned me off as a fan. I play PS3 now. I don't need your 3DS or your U or whatever the fuck you want to peddle in the next five or ten years. I've had enough. This is the first year as club nintendo member I didn't meet platinum status and it will be the first of many.

Let's e fair to Nintendo for one thing: they, like many others, can't not speak in PR bull shit. We know they're not telling us everything, and they know we know, but they still do it.

I've seen this crap happen with anime a lot. Someone wants to license something for the NA market but the licence holder sees a bigger market and more demand, so jacks up the asking price to the point it may no longer be viable for that market. Some even ahve a very poor understanding of just how overhyped their sales expectations are. And since multiple parties have to get involved (ie: music is licenced seperatly) it can be very tenuious.

What I'm saying is it may not be Nintendo's fault here, at least not entirely. At the very least, don't take a blanket PR stantment as an excuse to malign the mentally disabled.

Zhukov:
Advocacy of piracy, albeit under rather specific conditions, from an editor-approved Escapist video.

Huh. I haven't seen that happen before.

I know right?
I've been put on probation for much less then what Jim said this episode... little bit sore about that -.-

I was going to advocate piracy myself if they didn't want to localize. Nothing off my back. Where there is a need the market will not fulfill, the black market will do just fine.

Nintendo of Europe are also localising The Last Story and Pandora's Tower in Europe for the first quarter of 2012 which is nice for me, but will I damn sit back and say nothing. I'm joining the letter-writing campaigns. Sure it's nice to know I'll have three great games to play, but I have a lot of American friends who would like to play them as well... it's not as though they have to translate them again, they're already in English, French, Spanish, German and Italian... because they've localised them for EUROPE!

Nintendo did this to Europe in the SNES years. Here's a list of all the RPG's for the SNES that we didn't get in Europe:
Brandish, Brain Lord, EVO: Search For Eden, 7th Saga, Ys III, Lufia, Ultima VI, Ultima VII, Breath Of Fire, Ogre Battle, Super Mario RPG and the big 4...
EARTHBOUND, FINAL FANTASY 2, FINAL FANTASY 3 AND CHRONO TRIGGER!

Yes, that's right. FUCKING ALL OF THEM! That is pretty much every single notable RPG that was ever released for the SNES, and not a single fucking-cunting-bastarding one made it's way to Europe. Not even games like Final Fantasy 3 (6) and Chrono Trigger which where routinely in the Top 10 best rated and best selling games list for the damn consoles. We got fuck all.

Will I SHITE sit around and watch Nintendo do the same thing to North America now. We get The Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles and Pandora's Tower but North America doesn't! WHY NOT?

I will be joining the e-mail campaigns, the letter writing campaigns and everything I can to make this clear to Nintendo. "YOU'RE NOT BIG ENOUGH TO FUCK WITH US! If you don't release these games internationally WE WILL PIRATE THEM! You're messing with the adult gamers here during the age of the internet, we can bankrupt your company tomorrow if we want. All it would take is for us to all get together and to decide to pirate all Wii games from now on unless you localise these games... don't think we'll do it? TRY US!".

TornadoCreator:
Nintendo of Europe are also localising The Last Story and Pandora's Tower in Europe for the first quarter of 2012 which is nice for me, but will I damn sit back and say nothing. I'm joining the letter-writing campaigns. Sure it's nice to know I'll have three great games to play, but I have a lot of American friends who would like to play them as well... it's not as though they have to translate them again, they're already in English, French, Spanish, German and Italian... because they've localised them for EUROPE!

Nintendo did this to Europe in the SNES years. Here's a list of all the RPG's for the SNES that we didn't get in Europe:
Brandish, Brain Lord, EVO: Search For Eden, 7th Saga, Ys III, Lufia, Ultima VI, Ultima VII, Breath Of Fire, Ogre Battle, Super Mario RPG and the big 4...
EARTHBOUND, FINAL FANTASY 2, FINAL FANTASY 3 AND CHRONO TRIGGER!

Yes, that's right. FUCKING ALL OF THEM! That is pretty much every single notable RPG that was ever released for the SNES, and not a single fucking-cunting-bastarding one made it's way to Europe. Not even games like Final Fantasy 3 (6) and Chrono Trigger which where routinely in the Top 10 best rated and best selling games list for the damn consoles. We got fuck all.

Will I SHITE sit around and watch Nintendo do the same thing to North America now. We get The Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles and Pandora's Tower but North America doesn't! WHY NOT?

I will be joining the e-mail campaigns, the letter writing campaigns and everything I can to make this clear to Nintendo. "YOU'RE NOT BIG ENOUGH TO FUCK WITH US! If you don't release these games internationally WE WILL PIRATE THEM! You're messing with the adult gamers here during the age of the internet, we can bankrupt your company tomorrow if we want. All it would take is for us to all get together and to decide to pirate all Wii games from now on unless you localise these games... don't think we'll do it? TRY US!".

Nintendo only cares about niche audiences when they are in trouble, since this is not the case, no matter how hard you try, they will not bring those games to America unless they see a good reason to. Besides, looks like they'be already "won" since you decided to buy those games anyway.

Holy Hell, man. Jim Sterling needs to get this pissed about things more often. Epic points were made. Well done, Jim. Thank GOD... for the Jimquisition!

Feylynn:

Stall:

It's this over idealized postulations of these corporations that kill me. Nintendo, Sony, MS... all of these guys... they aren't here to make you happy. They don't care what you want or think. They are here to cut a profit.

You miss the point so I'll break it down.
I had money.
They wanted money.

They had games.
I wanted games.

Now in math.
Money x Games = ?
Where: Games = Zero.

They don't care about me, I don't care about them very much right now.
They still own the equivalent of 47 solid gold planets and I'm an angry forum poster busy exercising my freedom of expression to other like minded bitter forum poster that happened to want these games.
Now I think we are having very different conversations here so I can give you my entire point in like 6 words.
"They did not take my money."
The end, there is nothing more to be gleaned from this data. The potential for money existed they chose to pay for that potential, and then not release the game.

Thank you!! A side note to Stall. The sole objective of this video was a comical nerd rage based on exaggeration and the points of view of a knowledgeable and well informed journalist. If you didn't appreciate this kind of humor, refrain from watching. And it be nice to ask you who you are to be so informed about the stockholders and shareholders of NoA... Or are you only making assumptions on basic financial knowledge? Well only as slight remark to you my dear friend, bigger companies then NoA have fallen over bad marketing decisions... so I dunno extrapolate from that basic knowledge? (oh and just for the record I'm not a fan boy, i don't even knew these games existed and I do not own a wii).

Jim, that was waaaay over the line of decency, and propriety, and I loved it.
Also, that was probably the only good argument for piracy that I've ever heard.
((aside from the existence of Games for Windows Live))

Stall:
Odds say NDA didn't do this out of spite: they had a legitmate reason for not bring these games over.

Perhaps they did, but Jim did put some effort into trying to find reasons for their stupidity. Legions of fans make themselves heard, but all Nintendo will say publicly to them is "thanks for playing." ?? But I do agree that I'd like to see more evidence that Jim is doing his homework to find out what the Jarate is going on here.

There can be legitimate reasons for burning your bridges.

Setting fire to a mattress stuffed with American dollars is insane.

Oi! Jim?
In future, my approval will scale directly with evidence presented.
Yes Nintendo is making stupid amounts of money. And the heads of their Marketing and PR department apparently have Tourettes syndrome or something. But more information is better, like: How well staffed are the groups that do localizations? Are those groups booked solid through 2013? Who does Nintendo normally use for NA releases? Do they have a short list of homeless guys who can "phone it in" at a hamburger's notice? Hell, I've got a nice voice, are they hiring?

I cannot be avoided, the guy who hosts this segment is annoying as all fuck. But he brings a good point. I would LOVE to buy those games, and have my Wii be more then just shelf decoration. Hell I've only played one game on it in the last year, and that was Twilight Princess. If not for the Sonic games exclusive to it and Klonoa, I'd have givin up the Wii long ago.

And truth be told, Nintendo isn't selling me on the WiiU yet. Its claim of third party support of what the PS3 and the 360 will have makes me think " I have a Ps3 and/or 360, why should I buy a gimic like this?". Unless they ahve some really outstanding games that you know, they actually announce, maybe I'll invest. Honestly I'm still waiting for the PS4 or something, knowing that Sony and Microsoft, though incompetent boobs in their own right, know that they should be making a system, and not a ... whatever the hell the WiiU claims to be.

Golan Trevize:

Nintendo only cares about niche audiences when they are in trouble, since this is not the case, no matter how hard you try, they will not bring those games to America unless they see a good reason to. Besides, looks like they'be already "won" since you decided to buy those games anyway.

Yeah, I will buy those games, and only those games. I haven't bought a single Wii game in over a year. In fact, when it comes to the Wii there's Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Wario Land Shake It, Fragile Dreams, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, The Conduit and Dead Space: Extraction.

7 Games. That's it. I own more games for the Sega-CD, and that's sad. It would be a few more but they never bothered to localise Fatal Frame IV or Ju-On: The Grudge... because well, it's Nintendo.

My favourite games are RPG's. The Wii has exactly none.

I haven't played on the Wii for about 4 months, and even then it was for a little Multi-player Mario Kart. The last time before that, Christmas, to try out Dead Space: Extraction with the Overshot Shotgun (so cool). Without these games, the Wii is an embarrasing waste of space and honestly, the Wii NEEDS these games or it will be remembered as a pathetic wannabe-console, even if it did have market-share.

You know what Nintendo have lost though. I don't trust them. I won't be buying a 3DS or a WiiU. I will instead be buying a PS3 and a PSVita. I feel Playstation are far more trustworthy. Sure they got hacked, but they where the victim, and they're trying to fix the problems. But their games are good, their consoles are region free, there's more than 10 games for it that I want to play and it has some RPG's on it (as well as some good action-platformers). Nintendo didn't win... Mistwalker, Monolith and Ganbarion won.

Mistwalker, makers of The Last Story, also made the incredible RPG, Lost Odyssey, one of my favourite games of all time (even if it is Xbox 360 only).

Monolith, makers of Pandora's Tower, also made Disaster: Day Of Crisis, which was a surprisingly unique game that I really enjoyed.

Ganbarion is the wildcard for me. Sure they made the Xenosaga series, which... We never got in Europe. So yeah... oh, sorry, we got part 2. Not part 1 or part 3... oh no. Just the middle part, to fuck up any chances of us understanding what the hell was going on. But, I hear it's a good series, so yeah. I'm giving them a chance.

Nintendo get nothing but my disgust, and I won't be buying any First Party Nintendo titles.

Buying the European version of the game and messing with the Wii's region lock is NOT piracy. Piracy is STEALING THE GAME.

For years people have been buying Japanese SNES games and popping the tabs out of the NA SNES so they could play Japanese games on their SNES. Messing with your own hardware is not piracy either.

I'm warming to you, Jim. Your episodes are getting better in both how you present your argument and the actual point you're trying to make. You are quickly becoming what GameOverthinker used to be before inane prattling turned that and all subsequent shows into a slide show projection of fanboyisms.

Here's a question:

If anyone on these forums honestly considers BUYING AN IMPORT piracy or "stealing," how does he or she explain games like Mushihimesama Futari, which were DELIBERATELY designed with no region lock so they could be played by Americans without localizing the game? After all, importing is importing. Region lock is just a jerkish thing publishers do because they THINK it might affect their future sales, but usually it doesn't because the game will either be released in the US and make a bunch of money (because we generally want our english language version), or else it never will be released and they're screwing customers for no reason.

KarlMonster:

Oi! Jim?
In future, my approval will scale directly with evidence presented.
Yes Nintendo is making stupid amounts of money. And the heads of their Marketing and PR department apparently have Tourettes syndrome or something. But more information is better, like: How well staffed are the groups that do localizations? Are those groups booked solid through 2013? Who does Nintendo normally use for NA releases? Do they have a short list of homeless guys who can "phone it in" at a hamburger's notice? Hell, I've got a nice voice, are they hiring?

See this is why people are pissed off. It doesn't matter whether the localisation teams are booked up, one guy on his own could localise these games for North America. All the work is done. They've already been translated into English for the European release in January of next year (September this year for Xenoblade Chronicles). It would literally be a case of doing the following.

1. Convert game to run from 50Hz to 60Hz if needed which it probably won't be, (Most games since the Dreamcast have had both setting in them from the beginning because 60Hz TV's started being sold in Europe).

2. Remove the PAL region coding and and the NTSC-NA region coding. (would take all of 5 mins).

3. Burn game onto disc and insert into box.

4. Sell for $60, or $95 if bundled with classic controller pro (which one of the games is going to be in Europe).

5. Recieve pot-loads of money from RPG starved Wii owners and get shit-loads of good PR for bringing over "niche" titles that don't sell well (even though they do sell well and a decent jRPG can expect to sell over 200,000 copies in North America).

6. Sell loads of WiiU consoles at Christmas because the RPG fans now think Nintendo really cares and listens to it's customers (because we don't want to be angry at Nintendo and it's a lot easier to believe this lie), and thus recieve even more pot-loads of money.

Please explain why this would be difficult.

the spud:
Wow. Nintendo can be pricks.

This shouldn't be a surprise, given their business practices from the mid-'80s to the early '90s. So many praise them for saving the gaming industry, yet those same people forget about the iron-fisted tactics Nintendo used on its third party companies, and how their business model was on the fast track to driving it all into the ground again. Competition, like touching, is good, but Nintendo was all about making sure there was no competition, while keeping their third party companies on a tight, costly leash. So yeah, they can be pretty prickish when they feel like it.

But anyway, it would be nice if Nintendo at least brought these games over with subtitles. That alone would make people happy, and all it would take is a some translators, proof readers, a few people to replace the text in the game, and finally have someone redo the manual in English. That would take, what... maybe a year? Sure, it wouldn't have English-speaking voice actors, but oh well. At least you'd still get the game and know what's going on while playing it.

Thank you so much for this. I completely agree with everything you said. I was behind the Wii for a while but a lack of interesting games has left it to gather dust. And just when some truly awesome titles could come out here Nintendo of America does just this.

I can't wait to see all the people I know that regard Nintendo as the "ultimate gaming resource in the world forever" have to say about this.

I really did enjoy this episode, and thought you were pretty much dead on.

Even with the herp-derp part,..which I'll admit to laughing to. There I said it!

Hey, morons, before you all jump your way to conclusions, take a look at this

It's very possible we might see these games at E3 2012.

itsmeyouidiot:
Hey, morons, before you all jump your way to conclusions, take a look at this

It's very possible we might see these games at E3 2012.

We already know it's being released in 2012 in Europe. That is a European source, from a French convention. Read your sources before calling people morons, moron.

Just so people a clear, in case the above prick raised anyones hopes. Pandora's Tower has NOT been announced for North America and while it's entirely possible that it could be announced at next years E3. When asked only 3 days ago, Nintendo Of America officially said they have no plans to release this game, The Last Story or Xenoblade Chronicles. This is why it's important to send the letters and e-mails during these maining campaigns.

ALL 3 of these games have been announced for Europe. If you see news from the French conventions, they are announcing the EUROPEAN releases, not the North American releases. This battle is not won yet.

"Clit giraffes", eh?

They also didn't bring over Mother 3. I'm still angry about that.

I've started to realise something, I like Jim Sterling (though he does sometimes labour the point).

I just don't like his 'Jimquisition' shtick. Just be yourself Jim, you're much more interesting than the quasi-fascist routine. Sure return to it occasionally, but you don't need it and I think it holds you back.

Stall:
rasion d'etre of a corporation is to maximize profits for the shareholders: NOT to make you happy and be your BFF. Odds say NDA didn't do this out of spite: they had a legitmate reason for not bring these games over.

Sometimes Jim Sterling can make a good point,

Some episodes he fails to properly explain himself, this one he succeeded with aplomb. He shows how well these sorts of games sell in the USA. That is profit AND being nice.

Hell, Nintendo is a company that makes profit by SELLING GAMES PEOPLE LIKE! If they refuse to do that for MASSIVE market... what the hell sense does that make for the share-holders?

This all seems to be a useless marketing strategy to do with the Wii-U.

I also like this episode because he directs his vitriol not at the audience, or his critics, but well deservedly at the out-of touch corporations who are standing in the way of millions of gamers enjoying such wonderful works of gaming art. And Nintendo have done worse than given no reason, they have blatantly lied about why will bullshit like costs of localisation and minimal market.

How many languages in Europe is it localised for? 6? 12? And one of those languages is ENGLISH! I don't think it would be a deal-breaker if they saw words spelled like "colour" or "aluminium".

I didn't really like the first couple of episodes but this show is actually kind of growing on me. Not as good as some of the other shows on the site, but still good. Me gusta.

Halo Fanboy:
japanvideogames dot com, videogameimports dot com ect ect. Does that solve your problem?

At the time it might have but Fatal Frame didn't get fan translated for a while so I got a PS3 instead.
Now from what I've seen it's ridiculous to find a copy in stock at all, let alone what somewhere under a hundred dollars which is problematic since I'd need to be the system just to play it and have been waiting for other good reasons to convince me the Wii was worth it.

Firstly Jim looks better and is more approachable when he wears his own clothes.

Secondly this is totally justified loads of Japanese games are better than the shovelware that is actually released on the WII. It's been this way right back to the Nes and Snes, yes I know I'm old.

Although I they tend to be kinder with Europe (probably becuase France is very into it's anime) I really don't see why they wouldn't risk releases over in America just the size of the consumer base means that a game would still bring alot of money in with a small percentage of the market.

Stilkon:
"Clit giraffes", eh?

lolled.

What part of that video I didn't spend wondering what was wrong with 'Jim', and thinking Nintendo of America were indeed being pretty jerkish, I spent trying to keep at bay the thought that this may be what happens when Western gaming media communities put as much effort as they do into ragging on Japanese RPG titles and their associated genre staples, and the feeling that Nintendo may have simply, finally, said 'screw this, if they don't like the genre, we won't bother anymore'.

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that, but still, it's a feeling that just isn't going away, and I really wouldn't be surprised if it isn't at the back of these people's minds every time they contemplate a localisation effort.

I agree with him. And still find him obnoxious and annoying.

Not a bad episode.

But I just realized that this character is not a persona, like Jim likes to put it. It's an extrapolation of his own personality. A simple look into his personal twitter and some of the messages he exchanges with people he doesn't like, and it's obvious that it's not entirelly acting what we see in this show. In reality, almost nothing of it is acting.

I believe this show would be a lot better if he didn't take himself very seriously, like a real game journalist. He can adopt Yatzees's approach. Simple enterteinment. It would be perfect.

I have a reason why Nintendo America doesn't want to publish these damn good games. They really don't want any titles to compete with their own. look at the Wii most of my favorite games aren't from Nintendo. Muramasa, Madworld, No More Heroes 1 and 2. Yes its a pretty basic list but people love those games and I feel sorry and those companies trusted Nintendo. All 3 games could have tripled or more in the sell if they were on all the consoles.

I knew Reggie was a fuck up. When during those past E3's when he only pushed hardware and didn't give a rats ass about a board range of software. He really thought motion control was gonna to keep Wii players gaming and he's a fucking lie saying he's a hardcore gamer. Nintendo has money to piss, shit and burn and they'll till have money left over. What's so hard for them to get off their ass and translate some games do they really fear the fact that the appeal of Mario, Link, Zelda, Samus, DK, etc isn't gonna last forever. They need to get out of their fantasy land and get in with reality. With the fact they're killing their own appeal by making subpar consoles, trying NOT to compete hardware and software wise with Sony and MS. Then forcing bad controls unto games that really don't need it.

I've seen it happen lots of times when people localize games and refuse to bring them out else where. for example monster hunter for the Xbox 360 was only released in Japan only for capcom to cry about it when people decide " well I cant get I here lets see where I can download it from" but with this and the 3 games for the nintendo I'm starting to think that it has something to do with the games origins because all the games I can think off that have had a similar situation all seem to be Japanese

Jim Sterling:
snip

Great episode Jimmy boy. I can't help but be reminded of a news story that I just read as a matter of fact:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111443-Carpe-Fulgur-Picks-Out-Third-Japanese-Indie-Project

You put out a pretty reasonable position, built it up with logic and evidence and the great looking video footage shown all through out the video left me with the impression that this looks like a great game that I would happily play. I was amazed to see the list of sales figures showing just how much better Japanese games actually sell here in the states as opposed to japan. (Literally twice the number for a Bleach game? Yowzer.)

For once I agree with him. Scary.

I haven't touched my Wii since clocking in 120 hours on Rune Factory: Frontier two years ago, as no games have caught my fancy. The spiders in my basement are having more fun with my Wii than I am.

I looked up Pandora's Tower and the two other games and damned if I'm not interested. But if the 'States don't get the games I doubt the people up here in Canada will get it either.
...I just realised how much I miss JRPGs which aren't FinalFantasy or other mainstream series.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here