Jimquisition: Nintendo of America

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Definitely agree with you, Jim. In fact, I wonder...

If Project Rainfall sent them THIS VIDEO, how do you suppose Nintendo will react?

Jim Sterling:
Nintendo of America

Thus Jimquisition descends from on high to spread the word that Nintendo of America are a bunch of pricks.

Watch Video

So I see you kind of went with a casual tuesday kind of look....interesting

The only downside I can imagine for Nintendo is that a company only has so much money to invest in business decisions, and Nintendo expects other investments to yield a higher investment to profit ratio. Under those conditions, they are making the correct decision.

This, of course, rests on at least one of the following assumptions:

1. That Nintendo has already pissed away all the billions they made on the Wii and DS in their 3DS and Wii U product launches, so they have no more money available.

2. That Nintendo actually knows what is going to return a large profit, which I am convinced they do not. The Wii was a fluke and I have never seen anything to make me suspect otherwise. I will be shocked if the Wii U does half as well as the Wii.

3. Nintendo has made the active decision to completely ignore the hardcore gamer market in favor of the casual market. The problem with this decision is that a console is a hardcore product these days, when every person in the country has a phone and a computer they can play games on for free or less money than you can find couch diving. The Wii saw success in the casual market because it hit before free Facebook games were big and before the rise of the smart phone.

I like it that for once, someone criticized a subsidiary rather than the broad company. I hate it when people blame Nintendo for something that only their subsidiaries are responsible for. Nintendo of Europe is responsible for European localization, NOA for American, etc., etc. So if a game isn't localized, like Mother 3, that's not Nintendo's fault but their subsidiaries whose decision it is to localize and publish them.

This show is getting better and better. You just got another regular viewer, Jim.

I forgot:
I like it that for once, someone criticized a subsidiary rather than the broad company. I hate it when people blame Nintendo for something that only their subsidiaries are responsible for. Nintendo of Europe is responsible for European localization, NOA for American, etc., etc. So if a game isn't localized, like Mother 3, that's not Nintendo's fault but their subsidiaries whose decision it is to localize and publish them.

So if I run a company with separate branches and one of the branches make a very bad decision, should I just say "Oh well, not my problem"?

Nintendo of Japan can overrule Nintendo of America and if it doesn't, then it is as much to blame as NOA is. You think Reggie got his job without the approval of Nintendo of Japan?

As much as I like Nintendo as a whole and loved some of their past titles (i.e. Zelda: Majora's Mask, my personal Best Game of All Time), I'm gonna have to agree with Jim on this one. Nintendo of America are a bunch of ungrateful pricks with some sort of passive-aggressive grudge against the people who buy so much of their product and take such an active interest in it.

As an example that goes beyond poor business decisions, have you ever sent some fanmail about the Zelda timeline to Nintendo (Of America)? Did you get a stock-letter back telling you "There is no timeline?" Did you perchance happen to inspect the reasoning by which they come to this conclusion? An out-of-context line from Aonouma about how it's a different Link every game and an equally context-free line from Wind Waker's prologue calling it "but one of the legends of which people speak" or something.

If that's not a cop-out, I don't know what is. To ignore fanmail on a subject is one thing, but to go out of your way to twist a couple of quotes in order to claim that the subject of the fanmail is directly against series canon is just a dick-move and spiteful to the people discussing the topic.

On a lighter note, this is one of Jim's better episodes. Being a smug prick every now and again is fine and all, but I like this show best when there's an actual point and/or serious discussion.
Although I'll give Jim some more credit here, even when he is carrying himself like a total douche in his videos, he's at least sticking to the point, unlike MovieBob, who took a break from actually encouraging and engaging in thoughtful examination of gaming culture to try to show off his l337 5cr33nwri7ing 5k33lz with a poorly-written unfunny evil doppelganger storyline, complete with some seriously lower-tier fight scenes.

So what I'm trying to say, Jim, is that I promise never to bitch about your show up until the point you try to shoe-horn in some bullshit narrative into it.

AAAAHHHH

It must be the end-times because I found myself sending this video as a link to a friend to watch.

Either that or maybe I found Jim good enough to pass on finally. Keep it up, Jim!

Why is it right after I watch a show on The Escapist like Jimquisition, MovieBob, Zero Punctuation, or Extra Credits, I always have a friend talking about the same topic that I just watched... and then they deny that they watched the show? This happens at least twice a week for me.

Wow lots of responses this time. My comment may be drowned in a sea of others...

Loved your ending, Jim. The angry "thank god for me" was wonderful and made me laugh despite knowing the line was coming. You seemed genuinely angry in this episode, which really worked. For you, angry + arrogant is funnier than smiling + arrogant. Angrily coming up with silly solutions using an intensely arrogant persona? Recipe for comic gold. I don't know if you have many things that make you angry, but if you can find them on a regular basis, your show will only get better.

Good job and keep on improving.

well if you want a good example of Nintendo of america can be a group of douches, just look at how they've handled the Mother 3/ Earthbound 2 issue.
They made no effort to release it in america, but tried to shut down sites who worked of fan-coded versions.

for more info, here is a good review of the series and talk about the issue:
http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2011/01/16-bit-gems-earthbound1/

I... err... hmm.. huh.

I agreed with the Metacritic one. I found this one funny. I will have to go away and think about this for a while.

Good work for sticking at it Jim, this show is definitely getting better!

viranimus:
Jim... this is an instance... I thank god for you.

I honestly forgive the slow and rocky start of the show. I am officially sold.

He didn't change his show, you got used to him :)

NicolasMarinus:

viranimus:

Its not that I got used to him, because I was receptive to begin with. No, the first couple episodes were really bad. First ep.. he stated a mind numbingly obvious fact, second episode he put forth a horrible idea, third episode he completely missed the point he was trying to make by suggesting instead of the crap Sony gave to apologize, Sony should have given even worse crap.

No..Its not wise to assume you know someone elses thinking, and downright foolish to exclaim that you do.

Fullmetalfox:
Guys this is actually a good thing!
Remember when Sega released the SegaCD/MegaCD and refused to support their system, and then nobody gave a fuck about the Saturn and the Dreamcast? Remember Sega had to leave the hardware business and focus only on games because they couldn't afford another console?
Well same here. People are gonna remember this stupidity and refrain from buying the Wii U, as a result Nintendo is gonna have to drop the hardware business and we will finally have Donkey Kong on the PS4.
It may piss you off now, but when you don't need to buy another console only to play the next Zelda/Mario game, you'll be happy.
Good times ahead!
Thank you Nintendo of America!

Awesome! Then I can say good-bye to innovation and creativity and just get the same thing every couple of years with a slight hardware/graphical upgrade. I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!

But serously NOA, you release these games, and I'll give you money. Sounds like a good plan to me.

I agree with him so much even though I am not a Nintendo fan / consumer, but having been stiffed with this kind of thing from Sega. He's made a viewer out of me, i'm sick of this lack of RPG localisation. I'm sick of the stupid 'we see this as mainstream' crap being the only thing released.

-Dragmire-:

the spud:
Wow. Nintendo can be pricks.

They did the same thing with earthbound and the rest of the Mother series. They won't even release earthbound on the virtual console, due to fairly minor legal reasons. Maybe its time they grow some balls.

There were actual legal reasons? I heard fans of the game were translating it but I'm not sure if they completed it.

Anyway, wow that was quite some dichishness coming from nintendo america. I wonder if they're waiting to release those games as wiiu exclusives to spur initial sales with the hardcore crowd.

they said it was cause of the music, yet they can sell the soundtrack on itunes

Lol how does EU get Xenoblade and US doesn't wtf considering Xenosaga/gear wasn't even released in the EU

viranimus:

NicolasMarinus:

viranimus:

Its not that I got used to him, because I was receptive to begin with. No, the first couple episodes were really bad. First ep.. he stated a mind numbingly obvious fact, second episode he put forth a horrible idea, third episode he completely missed the point he was trying to make by suggesting instead of the crap Sony gave to apologize, Sony should have given even worse crap.

No..Its not wise to assume you know someone elses thinking, and downright foolish to exclaim that you do.

It's true, the first few episodes were absolutely horrible.

This one is pretty dead on, but Nintendo are pretty notorious for this so I'm not sure if it's a massive revelation or anything.

Either way, I enjoyed/hated this episode. Enjoyed it because it brought up good points and I thought it was pretty funny, hated it because I'm once again reminded I can't own the Mother series legally.

DarthSka:

Fullmetalfox:
Guys this is actually a good thing!
Remember when Sega released the SegaCD/MegaCD and refused to support their system, and then nobody gave a fuck about the Saturn and the Dreamcast? Remember Sega had to leave the hardware business and focus only on games because they couldn't afford another console?
Well same here. People are gonna remember this stupidity and refrain from buying the Wii U, as a result Nintendo is gonna have to drop the hardware business and we will finally have Donkey Kong on the PS4.
It may piss you off now, but when you don't need to buy another console only to play the next Zelda/Mario game, you'll be happy.
Good times ahead!
Thank you Nintendo of America!

Awesome! Then I can say good-bye to innovation and creativity and just get the same thing every couple of years with a slight hardware/graphical upgrade. I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!

But serously NOA, you release these games, and I'll give you money. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Gimmicks and innovation are two very different things. As for creativity, we can find that on other systems as well. You only miss it if you want to. About getting the same thing over and over with a slight graphical update... Isn't that people do every time they buy a Mario game?

Having put off getting a Wii for the entire life of the system, I actually would have considered getting one if these games had made it to the states. It would have been some "real" games on a system that has less than a handful of them. But, as stated, apparently Nintendo doesn't want my money.

Stall:

Eri:
Too bad you don't make any sense. There is no downside to bringing the games here. Only an upside. An upside on many fronts.

There's no downside from where you are sitting as an outside observer. You are only seeing a fraction of the picture. You have NO idea if there was no downside, as you are only speaking from your very, very limited perspective. There might had been a HUGE downside for the company if you were a shareholder or an executive who actually made this decision. We don't really have all the information, and probably never will, so it is remarkably ignorant to assume that there was no downside to this decision.

Note that I am not making any assumptions about this decision being right. I am only saying that you cannot say there were no downsides, since you do not know the inter workings of Nintendo of America. All we can conclude is that the executives and shareholders of NoA thought this was a good decision for whatever reason.

You're ignorantly speaking from a limited perspective also. You're arguing what you don't know against what someone else doesn't know. You may as well be smacking your face on the keyboard, it might produce something of more argumentative weight. Unless you actually are one of these Nintendo executives that you speak so highly of, you're just as guilty as anyone else engaging in speculation. The only difference is you look like a mindless Nintendo Fanboy for defending them as they snub their supporters.

The more I watch this guy the more I like him.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Jim hates pirates. He even did a Jimquistion making fun of them. So you know he is pissed if he is advocating piracy of these games. For good reason. Atlus,Aksys,NIS, these companies make a living doing what Nintendo says is too costly.

It's not like Aksys and Atlus (probably NIS too if I cared to know) aren't total fuckups though. I mean Aksys doesn't give us the good versions of Shikigami no Shiro 3 leaving us with only the inferior Wii version and that's not the last time they've had the publishing license for a game and decided not to release it on all platforms. And where the fuck was Atlus USA when Dodonpachi and ESPrade came out? I don't personally have any faith in any localization company, which is why I choose to bypass them now a days.

Halo Fanboy:
There isn't any more reason to get mad at Nintendo any more than any of those various other localization companies. Atlus and Aksys "deserve" to be whined at just as much, Atlus not localizing the Megami Tenseis, Aksys not localizing 360 versions of Shikigami 3 and Arcana Heart 3. Singling out Nintendo ignores that this same problem is true for practically every game company.

the first few megatens were because it was too risky moneywise and the controversey from the content probably wouldve driven them out of buisness. theyve said theyll bring over any and every game that gets remade. the only exceptions being the very first devil summoner due to some twat in atlus japan losing the source code and megaten 1 for the wii cause the code for that is fragile and is only for the VC, which nintendo wont let them translate even aeon genesis who did the english patch for the first 2 had problems translating it. and even with a good ROM, you cant buy guns at the antique shop at the begining

I find it really weird when a site where users can get modded for advocating even condition piracy has contributors who do it.

That being said, I find the anger here to be quite understandable and I don't get the logic of "We don't want you giving us money."

What Jim FAILS to grasp is that this is not a new thing and Nintendo is not the first company to pick & choose their distribution points.

Yes... It's staggering to see how many Japanese games are not released in the U.S. BUT then again I doubt that EVERY American game reaches Japan's shelves.

S---o much this.

localizing any game is always going to get you more money than if you didn't, and that bit of evidence you pulled up shows America dominating sales of every game listed. i can't believe they still claim "it wouldn't sell well". even if every copy sold in america was bought used it would equal or surpass sales in the others when bought new. and some of those games are so rare in America now that even their used prices can get to 40-50 dollars.

and he's right. every time i look at wii's selection in stores, its like a wave of frustration and disappointment. metroid is fun, i love zelda, mario is entertaining the first time through(if a little annoying), but they cannot come out with enough frequency to carry the system, a point magnified by how little there is to do with the games beyond playing them again.

i'm not a huge supporter of dlc or patches for everything, and im not saying to add it. just give us other games in the mean time. make an english version and make it either compatible with US/UK, drop the stupid localization codes, or make one for each code (which is really just swapping the disk codes).
not releasing a game because you think its sales wouldn't crush a "bigger" title's is like making five pieces of candy when you could have made twenty, and laughing at any who show up willing to buy. its a loss of profit, its mean, and it loses customers who will either take their money elsewhere or find an easier way to get it.

W-what is going on with me? I...actually like Jim and I completely agree with him and, yes! I thank God for him! D8

But I completely agree. Nintendo is not the best console out there right now, so it cannot pretend to still have its dignity and deny people from playing games released in Japan. What pisses me off the most is that, like Jim said, there is no fucking reason for that! They're just being pricks about it.

You know, I used to be a Nintendo fan. But then I looked at Sony and Microsoft and they started making smarter moves. Sure, they're more into money but hey, at least they're trying o keep people happy and entertained so that we don't start questioning them. As shallow as it might sound, I don't mind support Sony and its lame security because I love my game library I've developed over the years. Keep me happy and all is forgiven.
But Nintendo? What is it trying to accomplish? No, seriously. All anger and sarcasm aside, I would love to find out what they're up to. Their game library is pitiful, their main focus is kids and families so they're alienating potential customers, they deny globally requested games to its customers, the refuse to take gambits...

It's like in their heads, they're watching Sony and Microsoft race against one another and waiting for the day Sony and Microsoft launch an all out war and destroy each other so that they can come back with arms wide open and say "I told you so". Problem is that Sony and Microsoft are waaaaaaay ahead of Nintendo, up to the point that even if they knocked each other out, they would have time to stand up, shake it off, have some tea and get back in the race. And Nintendo would be utterly unaware...

I'm taking that analogy too far...

So that's how you pronounce Reggie's last name. Wow, I actually learned something from this series for once.

I love the retarded impression.

Can't you get into all sorts of legal shit for condoning piracy, Jim? We need you! Don't get yourself locked up!

Deadly episode. Keep 'em coming :)

Skunktrain:
How does NOA maintain a business model that involves repeatedly telling fans literally begging to give them their money no? This isn't the first time they've done this shit; Mother 3 ring any bells? I understand that they've probably been burned before by niche-market games but this is ridiculous.

When they released the first Earthbound game, they tossed in a game manual to the game causing it's price to go beyond the regular price, since the internet wasn't in public access at the time(I could be wrong) not many people knew what it was about, Nintendo had made a bunch of adds for it, but not much explanation. Anyways, the higher price then the other games combined with not being as well known, 'caused Nintendo to get burned in sales, and they're probably still crying over that.

MatParker116:
Hey all of these games are coming to Europe thanks Nintendo of Europe!!

Seriously, thank you. I was not aware of that The Last Story was coming out here and I've really been looking forward to see it come out, but I had given up hope so I have stopped looking (I am used to having high hopes and giving up because of the Tales series) assuming it wouldn't come. You however made my day by informing me that it would actually be released. Thank you so much.

OT: this is the best one so far, I guess that is because I am really tired about games not getting localized too. The remake of Lufia II made it to USA, not here, Tales of Legendia, Tales of the Abyss (that one gets a 3DS remake so I am happy though) and so many Japan only titles. I have been one of those who's joined in to tell them that these games are wanted, but that always fails of course, the only exceptions being Tales of vesperia and Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World.

...I actually liked it. Really liked it.
I don't know if it was the slight detachment from the overtly campy and flamboyantly silly persona or the content but this is the first one I've watched where I've found it genuinely amusing and agreed with a lot of the content (I can normally see how it might appeal, just not to me).

Anyway, good episode and well made. I take serious issue with the localisation when it's between Europe and the US, Japan -> the west is mildly more understandable (though those figures were very surprising, definitely something I'm going to look into a little more) but the difficulty from there is so minimal it's ridiculous and genuinely makes me wonder why the effort wouldn't be worth it...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here