Jimquisition: Nintendo of America

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I agree, localization is kind of annoying. Because localization was sitting around on their hands, we have fun events like Marth debuted in Smash Bros.

Aren't people crying out for Nintendo to release new IPs anyway? Just localize more games, and there you go. Two problems solved.

Also. Mother and Mother 3.

Also also, Jim, I think you should start thinking about cutting your podium segment, if this is how it's going to be. You look like you're acting and hamming it up for the camera, and I can't speak for anyone else, but it grates on my nerves. There's a reason why I don't watch Top 5 with Lisa Foiles, all the over-acting isn't cute, and gets really old.

GamemasterAnthony:
Definitely agree with you, Jim. In fact, I wonder...

If Project Rainfall sent them THIS VIDEO, how do you suppose Nintendo will react?

Probably a lawsuit, or maybe modeling a Zelda mob after him.

Nice one Jim. I know most commenters prefer the horrific "humor" offered by Loading Ready Run, but I for one rather like satire, so keep it up.

You're talking about comparing the sales of games in Japan and Europe go up against America's sales? Without taking into consideration the gross gaming populations of each?

And you're complaining they don't just take the English translation of one game and put it here in English?

Do you have any idea what processes go into games localization Jim?

Jim could really make his points in a less erm... well less jim-ish fashion but he is dead on here. The games would proabaly do well if their releases were handled correctly since both the UK and US have a sizeable market for this. Just translate them into english if you can't be arsed. Hell ill take a game with subtitiles so you don't have to dish out on voice actors. These are three very intersting looking JRPGs that i would love to have a go at (since the crop we have had this generation have been almost universaly shite, im looking at you Squeenix!)

Three things;

1. The production valyes and stlye REALLY do need to get better, as does your delivery, but overall the show is not unserviceable

2. Are there any higher quality cips you could have shown of the games? I was watching in publishers club HD and it was lamost unwatchable in places

3. Fix you mic problems. They make the show sound cheaper than it should. Or just buy a better mic. I am a poor student, as are many of my freinds, but they put the investment into half decent equipment and making sure their audio on videos/recordings is dead on.

Who's Nintendo...?

But seriously that's how much and long they have fallen off my radar as a gamer. They simply no longer care about games or gamers and are content to sit on their asses pumping out shovelware for the "casual" masses. They have been pulling in mountains of money from wii and DS sales and instead of using that money to fund new IP's and make new innovative games they give us more bs. "Thanks for all the money, morons! HAHAHAHAHAHA XD "

And not only is "Wii U" an idiotic name I think its them outright admitting that they are pissing all over us.

What exactly is "localisation"? That term gets thrown around so much that i find it frustrating when all i have is this flawed understanding that it's pretty much just translating the dialogue / text and changing from NTSC to PAL coding. Because, really, if that's all it is then i just don't see how on earth it could be considered an expensive process. Especially if the dialogue / text bit has already been done for other English-speaking markets.

I suppose the reason Nintendo of America isn't bothered about bringing niche titles to the Americas is that the Americas themselves are vast. Very vast, in fact, which means a lot of copies would have to be sent out all over the continent which may or may not see any returns. The overall sales figures may be higher than Japan and Europe, but Japan is a small country compared to the Americas - and even the places of Europe that gets titles to distribute, is going to be a smaller market. For example, whenever i go to France, i don't see any video game stores in any of the villages or towns. I only see them in cities. So while Europe may technically be big, they're only really distributing to small, specific parts of Europe. It's the 80-20 rule; 80% of your profit comes from 20% of your demographic. The thing is, Europe and Japan are small enough compared to the Americas that it's okay to only see returns on that 20%, because the Americas in comparison are a far larger investment due to the size of the continent. It's safer to try and sell 100 of X and only sell 20 of it as opposed to try and sell 1,000 of X and only sell 200 of it.

well i must say i really ahted jimquisition at first, but he's been picking his topics well, i can watch it now. though while i agree with everything he said in this one, i still have a hard time hearing it from... him.
he's really not a good speaker is he...

Localisation is half the problem the other half is that they are becoming more and more restrictive with the region locking of games.

It's one of the things sony gets right i can play a game from anywhere in the world on any playstation.

I might not understand the language of the game i'm playing but at least the opportunity is there for me to stumble around in the dark.

for some reason we still live in a world with archaic borders for no benefit to the consumer.

there is no real reason for region locking

ok the few good good points that Jim made are completely overshadowed by the fact that he's such an annoying, obnoxious, and idiotic prick halfway up his own ass, and expects us to love him for it. I only decided to give him another chance because I kept hearing that the show had improved since the pilot. Guess how it turned out.

I sympathies with my counterparts in the US, but this idiot sure makes it hard for me to.

Zhukov:
Advocacy of piracy, albeit under rather specific conditions, from an editor-approved Escapist video.

Huh. I haven't seen that happen before.

Nope, that happened on Extra Credits in the Piracy episode, too! Under the SAME conditions as Jim!

There's a problem in your logic, Jim. (Don't hate me. I think you're great and I have huge problems with NoA too, but there's a problem with your logic)

Let's look at the syllogism I'm concerned with:
These games would be profitable to localize provided the publisher has the resources to do it.
Nintendo of America is a very big company (has lots of resources)
Therefore, Nintendo of America is ignoring an opportunity to profit.

The first statement is a hypothetical, but let's say we accept it.

The second statement is the problem. It equivocates the idea of having a large pool of total resources, with having a large pool of disposable resources, and they're not the same thing. You could say this:

These games would be profitable to localize provided the publisher has the resources to do it.
Nintendo of America's pool of resources vastly exceeds its project load.
Therefore, Nintendo of America is ignoring an opportunity to profit.

But, you would need evidence to back that up. Just saying that Nintendo is really really big is not enough to demonstrate that position.

Edit:
Now that I think about it, even if you accept the conclusion above, then that still doesn't demonstrate that NoA are window licking retards. It's possible for them to recognize the fact that they are missing an opportunity for profit, but simply deciding to invest their resources in something else that would provide an even GREATER profit.

You would have to show that they have disposable resources, and that those disposable resources would not be better spent on other projects, and then show that these two facts are painfully obvious and not up for debate and risk assessment, before you're able to suggest incompetence. None of that was done during your video. :(

Alternative explanation: It's also possible that Nintendo is being a dick in a different way. Maybe they're refusing to publish these games in order to use it as a bargaining chip against the developer for some future development or something. They get a cut of localization sales, right? Refusing to localize could be used to pressure them, or perhaps the developer asked for exorbitant royalties on localized sales. Who knows? In fact, not knowing is my whole problem with NoA. See my next post.

Jim didn't touch on my biggest problem with NoA, and the games industry in general:

They're excessively secretive. That press release is a perfect example. It starts out like this 'We promised we'd give you the information you crave. Here it is: No plans at the present time." That doesn't actually say anything. It doesn't say yes, it doesn't say no, it doesn't try to justify their decision or even shed any light on their thought process at all. It literally is the exact same amount of information as releasing nothing at all.

Sadly, this is so normal that nobody even bats an eye at evasive and secretive press releases. I can see why they do it. They don't want to invite their customers into their creative or decision making processes because they don't want users to get too excited or disappointed only to change their minds later, but FUCK THAT. We are giving them our hard earned cash, and when we ask for answers, we should get actual answers, and more of us need to vote with our wallets until that starts happening.

Crono1973:

I forgot:
I like it that for once, someone criticized a subsidiary rather than the broad company. I hate it when people blame Nintendo for something that only their subsidiaries are responsible for. Nintendo of Europe is responsible for European localization, NOA for American, etc., etc. So if a game isn't localized, like Mother 3, that's not Nintendo's fault but their subsidiaries whose decision it is to localize and publish them.

So if I run a company with separate branches and one of the branches make a very bad decision, should I just say "Oh well, not my problem"?

Nintendo of Japan can overrule Nintendo of America and if it doesn't, then it is as much to blame as NOA is. You think Reggie got his job without the approval of Nintendo of Japan?

No, if I run a company with separate branches, I'd expect them to do their job while I do mine. Much like the developers expect publishers and marketers to do their jobs.

I forgot:

Crono1973:

I forgot:
I like it that for once, someone criticized a subsidiary rather than the broad company. I hate it when people blame Nintendo for something that only their subsidiaries are responsible for. Nintendo of Europe is responsible for European localization, NOA for American, etc., etc. So if a game isn't localized, like Mother 3, that's not Nintendo's fault but their subsidiaries whose decision it is to localize and publish them.

So if I run a company with separate branches and one of the branches make a very bad decision, should I just say "Oh well, not my problem"?

Nintendo of Japan can overrule Nintendo of America and if it doesn't, then it is as much to blame as NOA is. You think Reggie got his job without the approval of Nintendo of Japan?

No, if I run a company with separate branches, I'd expect them to do their job while I do mine. Much like the developers expect publishers and marketers to do their jobs.

Yes but when one branch doesn't do it's job, would you sit on your hands or would you (as the head of the company) make changes?

Nintendo of Japan has the last word so a bad decision make by NOA but not reversed by NOJ still falls on both of their shoulders, not just NOA.

Crono1973:

I forgot:

Crono1973:

Yes but when one branch doesn't do it's job, would you sit on your hands or would you (as the head of the company) make changes?

Nintendo of Japan has the last word so a bad decision make by NOA but not reversed by NOJ still falls on both of their shoulders, not just NOA.

Obviously, that depends. If it was the internal teams developing games not doing their jobs, certainly so but this is localization; they're leaving it to their other offices to decide if it'll sell there because they don't know. NOJ doesn't decide if it's okay to have it in Europe, but not America or maybe Australia and not South Africa. That's because that's the shit they let their divisions worry about while they worry about their own country and things of a much more higher priority like developing their hardware and software.

I forgot:

Crono1973:

I forgot:

Obviously, that depends. If it was the internal teams developing games not doing their jobs, certainly so but this is localization; they're leaving it to their other offices to decide if it'll sell there because they don't know. NOJ doesn't decide if it's okay to have it in Europe, but not America or maybe Australia and not South Africa. That's because that's the shit they let their divisions worry about while they worry about their own country and things of a much more higher priority like developing their hardware and software.

If NOA said "We aren't going to release Skyward Sword or the next Mario game in America", NOJ would almost certainly overrule them. Don't you agree?

Crono1973:

I forgot:

Crono1973:

If NOA said "We aren't going to release Skyward Sword or the next Mario game in America", NOJ would almost certainly overrule them. Don't you agree?

Sorry, but you need to come up with a better argument. That's next to impossible because NOA already knows that Mario and Zelda are high selling franchises. You're using a hypothetical situation that has zero chance of ever happening.

I forgot:

Crono1973:

I forgot:

Sorry, but you need to come up with a better argument. That's next to impossible because NOA already knows that Mario and Zelda are high selling franchises. You're using a hypothetical situation that has zero chance of ever happening.

Your argument appears to be:

"NOJ doesn't get involved with what games are released in other regions"

My example was to show that NOJ CAN get involved and since they can, they should in cases like this where public outrage is becoming severe. If they refuse to get involved then they are just as much to blame as NOA.

It doesn't matter though, I don't really care who YOU blame, I know that both NOA and NOJ are responsible for those games not being released here.

Crono1973:

I forgot:

Crono1973:

My example was to show that NOJ CAN get involved and since they can, they should in cases like this where public outrage is becoming severe. If they refuse to get involved then they are just as much to blame as NOA.

It doesn't matter though, I don't really care who YOU blame, I know that both NOA and NOJ are responsible for those games not being released here.

And your argument appears to be:
"NOJ should get involved because I said so"

Your example doesn't show anything, except naivety in how things work. Your reason to blame and believe that this is the fault of the whole damn company is because of some naive idea that NOJ should be in charge of something that they hired a division to do for them which makes about as much sense as the heads of the company getting involved with Nintendo of Europe's marketing or voice acting efforts.

I forgot:

Crono1973:

I forgot:

Your example doesn't show anything, except naivety in how things work. Your reason to blame and believe that this is the fault of the whole damn company is because of some naive idea that NOJ should be in charge of something that they hired a division to do for them which makes about as much sense as the heads of the company getting involved with Nintendo of Europe's marketing or voice acting efforts.

Yes, I expect the head of a company to oversee it's branches and get involved with decisions when needed.

Your problem is that you are treating NOA as a separate company instead of a branch of a company. NOA makes it's own decisions but they are all subject to approval for NOJ. Do you dispute this?

I am done here, if you want to go on pretending NOA is a separate company, go ahead, I am not going to waste anymore time on you.

Crono1973:

I forgot:

Crono1973:

Yes, I expect the head of a company to oversee it's branches and get involved with decisions when needed.

Your problem is that you are treating NOA as a separate company instead of a branch of a company. NOA makes it's own decisions but they are all subject to approval for NOJ. Do you dispute this?

I am done here, if you want to go on pretending NOA is a separate company, go ahead, I am not going to waste anymore time on you.

Typical wimp-out response and really, I'm done with you. You provide no arguments whatsoever and the only ones you do are strawmen.

Is it me or does this operation rainfall seem to be a sobering situation for some people? I suppose it's because nintendo tries really hard to come off loving and wholesome in public but they are about as faceless and corporate as all the other companies. They've more or less always had a questionable practice or somewhat mean spirited edge to them when it comes to there business.

People are all like "This is the last straw Nintendo! no more fun times with me!" it's really silly in just how much the thought process lacks perspective and retrospect.

I completely agree. I've had my eye on The Last Story for years now. If they released in the US, I'd finally have a real RPG to play that's a true spiritual successor to the old school JRPG. I've played the hell out of Lost Odyssey, this gen's JRPG that Squeenix wishes to hell they could produce. I was hoping Sakaguchi and his Mistwalker studio could bring me that magic again. Sad to hear that it's Nintendo who's cock-blocking me :/

viranimus:
I honestly forgive the slow and rocky start of the show. I am officially sold.

My thoughts exactly. I'll probably check this show out more often now.

No Xenoblade in North America? After to out selling Mario Galexy 2 in Japan? After it was announce to be called Xenoblade in the English version? After it had been localize? After 2 years of delays of a North American release, reassurance that it would happen this year, and being given a European release date? Now, after all that.. it comes to this?

I honestly don't believe it. I mean, I've seen companies do stupid things before, sure, but this, it's just crazy. I want to invent some conspiracy to give this move some logical reason. Maybe I'm still going through the 5 stages of grief.

It's much easier for me to believe the announcement was a complete mistake. Yes, that's stupidity I can believe. Maybe not all of the 3 games listed are going to be released in the US, maybe Xenoblade the only one we'll see. Yes, this is nothing more than a gaff. Sure, they are still too incompetent to correct it, but that's incompetents I can accept. Heck, maybe Xenoblade will be released without any correction. Still would be smarter than to refuse to sell a game ready to be sold to the biggest market that has been demanding it.

I just don't have the right words to say about this. So I suppose I'll let Margulis end this with the most cheerful quote I can muster in response to this topic:

"Behold the light that spreads before your eyes. This light once symbolized civilization, the very will of the human race. But what can be gleam by the light we see today? The people of this world have cast away their will to create, drowning themselves instead in an endless light of consumption. What you see now is the deceitful light cast by their stagnant eyes. The people you encounter in your life time are not people at all. They are less then human, mere sacks of flesh and bone. Only upon the realization of self will can a person truly be called a man. You choose to reject the false light, refused to succumb to their lies, that's why you never faltered."

Alright Jim, you've done it. I'mma say it "Thank GOD, for Jim Sterling". This was a great video, with a serious point, and one where the Ad Hominem was the entire video.

Not that it matters, but I now consider you a welcome member of my weekly viewing regiment.

Did he say 'clit giraffe'? O_o

I forgot:

Crono1973:

I forgot:

Typical wimp-out response and really, I'm done with you. You provide no arguments whatsoever and the only ones you do are strawmen.

"No, it's not Nintendo! It's just Nintendo of America. Booeey!"

Haha. Let's continue from there:
No, it's not NOA! It's only one division within NoA!
No! It's just some unnamed executives working there!

All Pointless distinctions, because we're outsiders. Just blame the parent company for anything. It's short. It's neat. It's where the ultimate responsibility lies anyways.

I concur with jim on this one. I want to play pandora's Tower the most though. the use of a chain weapon in the clips looked very unique and creavtive for combat and Platforming.

Oh, so THAT'S what Project Rainfall is... Well, nice to see people genuinely passionate about it, but I doubt it will do any good.

After all, if Nintendo of America never published Mother 3 in America and completely IGNORED the thousands upon thoughts (if not over a million EarthBound fans, then what are the odds of Operation Rainfall working?

Oh, come on, Nintendo of America was a lot worst in the 90s.

Well, Jim probably knows more about these titles than I do (just now getting around to watching this one) however I'd wonder if part of the issue might have something to do with the content of the games... you know the constant spectre of American censorship and sex.

Not to mention the whole Supreme Court case about game censorship that just ended, I can see how a company like Nintendo might have not wanted to risk releasing games that it was afraid were going to be banned, or open them to potential lawsuits, immediatly after release.

Likewise, US sales are strong still, but the US is in decline, while Europe and other countries are expanding markets. It's also possible that Nintendo is slowly trying to withdraw from the American market so it will already be out, and present somewhere else as it's major focus, in sync to the changing markets.

All these thoughts occur to me as far as what they might be thinking... of course none of that really justifies their desicians in the final equasion.

Also this *IS* Nintendo, and truthfully it's always seemed to be lacking in the common sense department, right up there with Sony.

I heard the argument that Nintendo of America doesn't want to look weird and that these games would be bad for its image.
To that I say this: No More Heroes.
It's so weird. I look at Nintendo of Japan and Miyamoto, and I see people who love games and love people who play games.
And yet Nintendo of America doesn't seem to like games or gamers at all.

veloper:

I forgot:

Crono1973:

"No, it's not Nintendo! It's just Nintendo of America. Booeey!"

Haha. Let's continue from there:
No, it's not NOA! It's only one division within NoA!
No! It's just some unnamed executives working there!

All Pointless distinctions, because we're outsiders. Just blame the parent company for anything. It's short. It's neat. It's where the ultimate responsibility lies anyways.

It's sad that that's how most people think despite that it isn't just pointless distinction.

I completely agree. I've been waiting for those games forever. I'm done with Nindendo and their crap.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here