Extra Punctuation: Yahtzee Could Have Written Duke Nukem Forever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Yahtzee Could Have Written Duke Nukem Forever

Yes, Yahtzee wrote a test script for DNF.

Read Full Article

The sly collection (all three games) are available right now, so yahtzee if your interested try them out. I think you'll like them and even if you don't, they are much more unique and varied then a lot of other games out right now.

I wonder what would it be like if Yahtzee wrote L.A.Noire.

The interrogation options would include calling the suspect a twat.

My first thought was "a child could have written DNF," but apparently he meant he had the actual option, so that joke is down.

cjbos81:

A hard-boiled cop with a British accent, a sweet hat, and many, many "your mum" jokes.

Between Yahtzee, Sterling and the Giant Bomb crew, everyone seems to think DNF would have been a lot better if Duke's character was played ironically. DN5, maybe?

I'm a little puzzled by the love for Infamous 2's writing.

I mean, sure, I wouldn't call it bad by any measure. It certainly had its moments. There was some fun dialogue, Kuo was a decent character and the endings managed to convey some emotional impact. But, well... shouldn't that be about standard?

I dunno, maybe saying this makes me sound like a bit of a prick, but I feel that it says a lot about the overall quality of video game writing that Infamous 2 can be regarded as outstanding.

PS. Oh, and about DNF. I can understand why the developers didn't want to make fun of Duke. Can you imagine the fanboy rage that would have ensued? Somehow I doubt the people eagerly awaiting the game wanted to see their hero portrayed as a self-mockery.

I'm mildly surprised he didn't do another deja vu thing like he did in the Fable 2 review where he noticed it was the sequel to the game that started this whole thing. Infamous (and Prototype) was the game that started the Extra Punctuation articles, or at least helped them get off the ground. It's possible that XP was a premeditated act for Yahtzee, but I feel like the Infamous vs Prototype contest is what started it all.

I would love to see Yahtzee write the script for a game. Game writing is such a mess as a whole, and getting a professional writer (Mogworld was awesome, for the record) would be nice

Oh how I wish Infamous 2's UGC had a simple like/dislike choice. All missions now are either unrated, or have a score of 2.x / 4.x -- meaningless.

As for Infamous 2's writing -- it fit the game perfectly. Just like you don't go to a Michael Bay movie expecting a plot, all Infamous 2 had to do was provide a setting with its story, and in that they succeeded perfectly. It might not be worth awards, but Cole's choices are rationalized pretty well for both the goof and evil paths.

beetrain:
Between Yahtzee, Sterling and the Giant Bomb crew, everyone seems to think DNF would have been a lot better if Duke's character was played ironically. DN5, maybe?

Matt Hazard with the DNF engine (and the tediousness stripped away), and you have the prototype of that.

"apocolyptic ending"

Yahtzee, i've had the past two games i've played (L.A Noire and portal 2) spoiled by shits on message boards and youtube comments. If this is a big spoiler I swear...

Wow, he could of ended up writing DNF?
That would be weird...
oh, and the bit about inFamous 2, i believe there will be a sequel, as it continues on basically from the good story and there is an electric question mark at the end.
So yeah, just my humble opinion :P
And if there was to be a sequel, they might even have to make 2 games to cover both endings.

I'd have loved to have seen how Duke Nukem Forever could've turned out now. Oh well, the game itself would still have been awful so maybe being turned down was a good thing

I don't understand exactly why they wanted the game to be about other silly people, I like your idea. Duke in a world that has moved on while still possessing too large an ego to care or listen would add so many layers of depth to the game.
Then again, It would be pretty hard to admire Yahtzee's writing in the midst of 2 minute load screens.

I wonder how one could come to the conclusion that inFamous ends after the 2nd part. The last scene of the good ending pretty much hints at a sequel with it's "lightning question mark". Without spoiling too much, I'd say that if it just were a flash of lightning, I might see the argument, but it clearly represents a question mark and there seems to be no reason for them to include that other than continuing with the series.

Zhukov:

I mean, sure, I wouldn't call it bad by any measure. It certainly had its moments. There was some fun dialogue, Kuo was a decent character and the endings managed to convey some emotional impact. But shouldn't that be about standard?

I dunno, maybe saying this makes me sound like a bit of a prick, but I feel that it says a lot about the overall quality of video game writing that Infamous 2 can be regarded as outstanding.

PS. Oh, and about DNF. I can understand why the developers didn't want to make fun of Duke. Can you imagine the fanboy rage that would have ensued? Somehow I doubt the people eagerly awaiting the game wanted to see their, um... hero portrayed as a self-mockery.

Actually, it does say a lot about the current quality of video game writing that Infamous 2 can be considered outstanding. I don't know if you've noticed, but many games these days range from mediocre to downright terrible in the writing section. There are obvious exceptions, and those are usually what I play but overall yes, game writing these days is crap. What Infamous 2 has should be the standard, but just because it should be doesn't mean it is.

The only direction I can see the story going in right now is a prequel staring Kessler.

shrekfan246:

Zhukov:
[snip]

Actually, it does say a lot about the current quality of video game writing that Infamous 2 can be considered outstanding. I don't know if you've noticed, but many games these days range from mediocre to downright terrible in the writing section.

Oh don't you worry, I've noticed.

Yee gods, have I ever noticed.

Here's my question to everyone out there in The Escapist land.

Let's say we live in the alternate world where Yahtzee DID write Duke Nukem Forever. Let's also say that Yahtzee's script was good despite having to conform it a bit to 3D Realm's ideals. So the game is still bad, but slightly better because of the way Yahtzee delivered it.

My question here is this: Do you think there would be groups of fanboys who would blatantly defend the game based solely on the fact that Yahtzee wrote it?

The answer to this question is "Yes" by the way...just to save you some time.

Isn't yahtzee the same man who said this about Alone in the Dark:

"the fire effects are extremely good, if you lean too close to the screen you risk losing your eyebrows. Normally this is something I highlight in a good game but instead I feel it just makes a bad game pretentious"

Having good writing in DNF wouldn't fix any problems, it would make those problems seem more disappointing.

Secret world leader (shhh):
"apocolyptic ending"

Yahtzee, i've had the past two games i've played (L.A Noire and portal 2) spoiled by shits on message boards and youtube comments. If this is a big spoiler I swear...

It's not really. If you played Infamous 2 already, even just a little and have seen the Beast, well... labeling it as "apocalyptic ending" is rather fitting...

edit:
My only issue with Infamous 2... every main character Conduit, among several others, all have the power to fly! Even Kessler could warp around! And yet here's Cole Macgrath, super Conduit extraordinaire... who can't fly.

Though, to be fair, once he gains the Spider-man power, it kind of makes up for that...

I just barely got the first Infamous, still haven't beaten it. Now I know that I should get the 2nd one, especially since Yahtzee loved it so much.

cjbos81:
I wonder what would it be like if Yahtzee wrote L.A.Noire.

"Right, fuckstick, tell me what I want to know; I've got to get back to your mum."

That would be quite interesting.

wow yahtzee have not played the sly cooper games? :O sort of wierd since he's such a fan of the thief games.. if you read this yahtzee go play the first one, you might like it. ^^

Sly Cooper was a great series, a few flaws mostly caused by them experimenting with different ideas in each game, also Sly 3 did a good job of closing the series, though we seem to be getting a fourth game now.

Yahtzee:
Hit me up, developers, I've had some free afternoons lately.

No, you haven't. You're writing two columns (one of which has accompanying animation), chiming in on an irregular third column (Extra Consideration), doing a podcast with Gabriel, co-running a bar in Brisbane, getting ready to open a second bar in Melbourne (next week!), and writing trivia contests every other week. And for all we know, you're out fighting crime every night.

"It's people like that who make you realize how little you've accomplished. It's a sobering thought, for example, that when Mozart was my age, he had been dead for two years." -- Tom Lehrer

BTW, I'd never heard of planking before.

I actually liked Yahtzee's Duke Nukem Forever storyline in his fun review. A struggle to reclaim earth and the whole "hiding out" thing had a lot of potential, and there's not reason you couldn't infiltrate some sort of trans-species wedding while trying to liberate the planet. There's a lot of potential beneath the jokes.

I always thought Yahtzee was a good writer (I watch a LOT of ZP, too much sometimes) and I haven't gotten around to playing any of his stuff yet, but without a doubt he's got tons of talent

From the article:

"I've never played their previous games before, the Sly Cooper series, but now I kind of want to. All in all, well done Sucker Punch, they deserve to be bigger names than they are."

Absolutely. The Sly Cooper games are top notch and when the pickpocket mechanic is introduced in the 2nd game, I would wander around levels just to do that. Check them out.

Try the Sly Collection.

Just be wary that the age market is low, so the game's are piss-easy. But still very fun!

Dear Epic Games.
Lease People Can Fly studios to Yahtzee for one game. Have them make whatever story he wants to tell.

I PROMISE you.... it will sell well.

Sincerely,
A humble Yahtzee fan and Escapist.

i really have no idea what you are talking about
the end of both of the campaigns might be ending the big story arc but both of them offer at the same time a very different and exciting new startoff point for a new arc

i'd expect a real end to be a world in a state like it was before the story
in the case of infamous that's only the case for the good version...

and you could even do away with the moral choice system in part 3(although there will be good opportunities to implement it... and do it better)
i certainly hope for another game as there can never be enough good open world games

Zhukov:

I mean, sure, I wouldn't call it bad by any measure. It certainly had its moments. There was some fun dialogue, Kuo was a decent character and the endings managed to convey some emotional impact. But, well... shouldn't that be about standard?

PS. Oh, and about DNF. I can understand why the developers didn't want to make fun of Duke. Can you imagine the fanboy rage that would have ensued? Somehow I doubt the people eagerly awaiting the game wanted to see their hero portrayed as a self-mockery.

No. The people waiting for the game didn't give two shits about the character. It was the gameplay what made 3D fun, not the cliche quote spewing douche-bag of a protagonist. At least that was what I felt. Forever completely missed the point. Same shit character, new shit gameplay. Too bad he lost what he wrote, I would liked to have seen that.

Ignoring how I could not possibly disagree more with everything said about Sucker Punch, LittleBigPlanet 2 changed from the 5 star ratings in the first game to like and dislike for the second game. It works okay I guess, but personally I'd prefer it there was a neutral button. Sometimes it's not good enough to like but not bad enough to dislike, and we should be able to rate it as such. Instead you don't get to vote at all if that's how you feel about a level, and then every time I look at a level's ratings and the number of votes VS the much greater number of plays, I always wonder how many people were too lazy to vote and how many people didn't vote because there wasn't an option to express their thoughts on the level.

And then there are the people around various LBP forums who spout hippie free love crap about giving every level a "like" vote regardless of quality because someone spent time creating it and they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or shit like that. Yeah thanks a lot, the rest of us trying to use the ratings to decide if we should spend our time playing that level or not really appreciate your total disregard for how ratings are supposed to work.

hey I find planking to be hilarious

but yeah seeing how DNF came out, they prob shoulda just let Yahtzee write it
and tell them the regenerative health and two weapon limit for 90s style Duke Nukem game was stupid

Zhukov:

Compared to the completely mindless drivel Sucker Punch usually puts out, anything even remotely resembling a decent story would seem outstanding. Compared to the rest of the industry though, you're right. It shouldn't get nearly as much praise. It's just people overblowing the fact that Sucker Punch didn't make everything about one of their games completely bad for once.

MR.Spartacus:

Zhukov:

No. The people waiting for the game didn't give two shits about the character. It was the gameplay what made 3D fun, not the cliche quote spewing douche-bag of a protagonist. At least that was what I felt.

I wouldn't be so sure. I really can't speak for Duke Nukem fans, since I'm definately not one of them, but I have seen plenty of comments along the lines of, "I just wanted a game that let me play as Duke again."

mjc0961:

Zhukov:
[snip]

Compared to the completely mindless drivel Sucker Punch usually puts out, anything even remotely resembling a decent story would seem outstanding. Compared to the rest of the industry though, you're right. It shouldn't get nearly as much praise. It's just people overblowing the fact that Sucker Punch didn't make everything about one of their games completely bad for once.

Uhh... okay.

Look, if you want to hate on someone or something, go right ahead. But I don't really see why you need to direct it at me.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here