Extra Punctuation: Yahtzee Could Have Written Duke Nukem Forever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I used to have a lot of fun with map editors, Age of Empires even let you design your own campaign. I also had hours of fun making my own maps for Timesplitters.

User generated content seems to be a thing of the past but I'd like to see a revival.

I actually toyed around with the ending of Infamous 2 and it can only go several ways. Cole, if in the bad ending, must be knocked out by some stronger conduit (or multiple conduits, which would work best as a seperate faction). He should be transported to the city his body is going to in the good ending. Amnesia would be Cole's main affliction in this story. That's one.

Another is that the player's choice is disregarded and one of the endings takes prominence albeit karmic choice. The good ending works well, because Nix, playing as Cole's romantic interest during the evil missions, can be seen as a reason for him to resort to the "good" ending (now in quotations, being no longer polemically good). Also Kuo is a bitch, and those who tend to be immoral are often self-centered and apathetic to altruistic motives. If I had lightning powers and I was rockers I would never join Kuo to destroy/"save" the world. A big part of the following game would then be Cole exploring his real interests in love and whether he's acting out as a thug because of neglect, primarily from Trish in the original. Continuing from the evil decision is harder. There are ways of doing it, but it's beyond the current storytelling abilities of the industry (in that I don't trust the writers of today to create it). The only way for this to work is to control a different character.

On the story of Infamous 2, my opinion of it is described by my feelings in Kuo's Graveyard scene. The emotion was very much there--surprising me greatly--but the writing was really flat. That's embarassing and disappointing. There were a lot of themes to explore in this speech: the seperation of man and superman, what the designation of humanity means, what responsibility entails from all of us. Instead it was about Kuo getting violated by a machine, which doesn't go places except in the ending. However, the series is still a watermark in videogame creativity. I never expected such a view on ice powers, similar to how I never expected giant trash monsters to have great significance in a sandbox.

*Looks at fake DNF review.*

*Looks at article.*

To think, maybe Vladimir Lestrade could have been real!

(I'm sorry, but if you're at the point where you're honestly debating if a phrase is 'something Duke Nukem would really say' then you're beyond hope. Step away from the Duke.)

Yahtzee wrote a script for Duke Nukem? Hell, Yahtzee should have BEEN Duke Nukem!

...Ben "Yahtzee" Crowshaw...could have used his story for "Duke Nukem: Forever"...but was then denied, due to a weird delusion that Duke was to be taken as a serious character, not as a parody?

... wow, just... wow, that's a new kind of hurt. I think my very soul is offended.

Don't get me wrong, never cared either way about DNF, but fuck me, there's NO WAY that game wouldn't have at least been interesting, getting to watch a lunatic like Yahtzee twist the DN universe as he saw fit. Not to mention it would have at least doubled the sales of the game, since they'd be appealing to a whole new audience with a celebrity like Yahtzee in the staff. A game that's been in production for 12 bloody years could have used that publicity, instead of blindly charging forth with their game out of bum-fuck nowhere, with a product that's about as edgy as a drawer full of butter knives.

Too bad they didn't like your idea, I think making it an ironic game about Duke as a relic of the 90's trying to find his place in today's world. Also the start of the game where it turns out it was Duke playing a game, I would have made that the ending.

Here's my synopsis: After the events of 3D, Duke has fallen into obscurity and is looked down upon as an old relic of the past. But then the aliens return and it's up to Duke to show the world how kick ass...90's style!

It's a shame that after such a long wait they couldn't make something that was at least passable, nothing could have lived up to the hype but at least something decent instead of a giant turd.

The problem with yay/nay is that the mediocre can get a really high rating. Urbanspoon does this, and we keep wishing for a more nuanced scale (even just a yay/meh/nay). Went to an italian restaurant the other day with a 95% on Urbanspoon. It was...fine. Not great, not good. Fine. Harmless. What do I rate that?

I'm still gunshy from Bioshock. Everyone raved how good the story was when it was barely above "has a story" level.

Then nobody wrote about the STALKER story that was totally fresh and original even if it wasn't a LONG story it certainly fit the mythology that was being built.

But between this and the video review it looks like it will be worth picking up.

As much as I adored both Infamous games, I agree that this would be a nice place to leave them. If there is another game, I reckon it should be completely unrelated, borrowing only the name and gameplay, kinda like BioShock Infinite is doing. Oooh you know what'd be cool? An Infamous game set in a sort of gothic noir setting a la Batman: The Animated Series.

As I said in the review, I'm completely dumbfounded by your praise of inFAMOUS 2's story. I loathed it.

But damn, it would be so awesome if you had written DNF. Make the sequel!

Secret world leader (shhh):
"apocolyptic ending"

Yahtzee, i've had the past two games i've played (L.A Noire and portal 2) spoiled by shits on message boards and youtube comments. If this is a big spoiler I swear...

I've had every game ever spoiled to some degree. Maybe you should just avoid the internet?

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Infamous as a franchise cannot go anywhere after 2. The plot (both of them) comes to a decisive end. And that, I respect.

I had the same feeling once I had beaten the story. I remember thinking when I first beat inFAMOUS 1 "I wonder how they'll stretch this out to three games?" And while playing inFAMOUS 2 it was starting to become obvious that they really couldn't, which worried me further.

However they ended it after the second one. As you said, respect to Sucker Punch!

Yahtzee's experience with 3D Realms pretty much confirms why this game was so rubbish. They clearly got caught up in their own hype and decided that a macho misogynist action hero was an awesome character and they would base the humour around him being better than everyone else, instead of allowing you to laugh at Duke.

Actually, InFamous 3 could be made.

Captcha: "nomeki schonmann," esquire.

***SLIGHT SPOILER WARNING***

If You haven't Yet finished the game, Don't read this post, I warned you, if you do so, Dont cry to me.

good read, Though i'm not entirely sure Sucker Punch did end Infamous 2 with complete finality, the very end of the last clip as the boat drifts away out of sight(good story anyway yet to bother completing evil), a massive lightning bolt strikes in the same area sooo... that COULD lead onto OMG COLE IS ALIVE!... so i'm skeptical on there being No infamous 3.... i've seen sequels come from endings with more finality than that..

Zhukov:

MR.Spartacus:

Zhukov:
PS. Oh, and about DNF. I can understand why the developers didn't want to make fun of Duke. Can you imagine the fanboy rage that would have ensued? Somehow I doubt the people eagerly awaiting the game wanted to see their hero portrayed as a self-mockery.

No. The people waiting for the game didn't give two shits about the character. It was the gameplay what made 3D fun, not the cliche quote spewing douche-bag of a protagonist. At least that was what I felt.

I wouldn't be so sure. I really can't speak for Duke Nukem fans, since I'm definately not one of them, but I have seen plenty of comments along the lines of, "I just wanted a game that let me play as Duke again."

I was really just speaking for myself. I only ever really got into Duke Nukem 3D though. So naturally all I was after was more of the same but prettier. If someone were to extensively complain about Halo not having ten weapons and a platoon of enemies you could say "It's not trying to be Duke Nukem" but... At least I can play inFAMOUS 2 now.

Tell us this, Yahtzee. Did any of your test script get into your sarcastic review?

No one outside of Australia is going to understand the reference to planking in the last part of the article haha.

yahtzee needs to be given a project that isn't franchised. that way risks can be taken and he can debute as a scriptwriter. its disapointing to find out he didn't get the go ahead for duke and can also been seen as if he isn't a talented enough writer but i have faith that he could produce a worthy game. that said after reading mogworld which wasn't a work of art but an entertaining worthwhile read.

Zhukov:
I dunno, maybe saying this makes me sound like a bit of a prick, but I feel that it says a lot about the overall quality of video game writing that Infamous 2 can be regarded as outstanding.

It has the guise of being very good, because it surprises you in the end by actually ending.

Every new IP these days is marketed from the get-go as a trilogy atleast, and inFamous seemed to be no different. So when the sequel suddenly had a definitive ending, it felt like an unexpected goodbye. I didn't find the story or characters that good either, but both endings to inFamous 2 did leave a positive impression on me, more so then most other games I've played this year.

The bashers would have had a reason more to bash it.

Maybe he should try LBP2. It isn't only based on platforming anymore, it has top-down hack and slash, basic RPG's, point and click, racing and even FPS levels.

Yahtzee pondering the notion of playing the Sly Cooper series... all I can say is DO EET, DO EET NAOO.
In all seriousness I wonder why he hasn't tried them sooner since he is such an avid fan of the Thief games since the only thing you do in Sly is steal shit

Man if Yahtzee had written the script it would of drastically changed dukes character, wouldn't really work if duke wondered about calling everyone twat-biscuits and waving his cringe worthy member at pig cops. I'm not exactly apposed to him writing a script for a game, there would be lots of games he would be perfect for, id really like to see what he'd come up with if he were to write a script for a survival horror game, could really have something special.
Oh and am i the only one who would love to see a remake of the infamous Spanish town slaughter in resident evil 4 but instead of gonados it's zero's imps? No?

On the subject of DNF, it would only have been a positive step, had our beloved Yahtzee been in charge. Then again, it would have been a positive step had a lobotomized monkey been in charge of the whole thing, so ya.

I could see there be a lot more "have I mentioned I'm not gay" from Duke, had Mr. Croshaw been writing ;) "No, these twin schoolgirl strippers aren't overcompensating for anything. Why would you even think that?" in a cheeky British accent.

On the subject of sequels, file me under "I don't get it." I don't get why every game MUST have a sequel hook and a direct followup. Why not follow the RPG strategy (Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, Diablo, etc) and just make completely unrelated sequels in a somewhat similar universe.

For example, if Bioshock had gone straight from #1 to Infinite, I'd be much more forgiving. You can still call it BioShock and thus remind people of the awesome game you already made in order to draw in your loyal customers. But at the same time, put it in a completely different setting with completely different characters. You can make some lore tie-in, if you're so inclined, but let games end. Let the stories be told, give us closure and leave it at that. If you want to do a trilogy, set it up as such from the beginning and don't try to shoehorn in a sequel where none deserves to be.

Worst case scenario, your sequel gets delayed over a decade and becomes some crazy internet phenomenon, at which point the FINALLY released sequel sells well enough to pull a profit despite being complete and utter crap. And on the subject of DNF: FULL CIRCLE BABY!

MR.Spartacus:
I was really just speaking for myself. I only ever really got into Duke Nukem 3D though. So naturally all I was after was more of the same but prettier. If someone were to extensively complain about Halo not having ten weapons and a platoon of enemies you could say "It's not trying to be Duke Nukem" but... At least I can play inFAMOUS 2 now.

Just a quick point on the Halo thing... I gave it credit at the time for being "new" and original. Not many games limited your weapon inventory like that (I can only think of Soldier of Fortune, though I'm probably forgetting something) I can't remember any games before it with a melee attack built in like it (a melee weapon, sure, but smacking someone with your rifle was new to me) and NO ONE had done the regenerating health thing.

At the time it was new and fresh and exciting. It allowed the developers to tune every encounter much better. They KNEW roughly how much health you had at all times (except mid fire-fight) and they KNEW you weren't packing a BGF9000 with full ammo in your back pocket while you fired a minigun, rocket launcher and shotgun all willy nilly.

However, given the myriad of games that cribbed those notes so thoroughly, I for one am over it. Save us, Serious Sam!

somone did a mistake and did not let you to continue writing DNF. i mean, you couldn't have done a worse job anyway.

UGC usually gives longvivity to the game. most of sandbox games get boring after you explroe everything in them. however if there is new UGC coming all the time you keep playing if the game is good. this is why there are people still playing gta vice city and San Andreas still has huge amount of players.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Extra Punctuation: Yahtzee Could Have Written Duke Nukem Forever

Yes, Yahtzee wrote a test script for DNF.

Read Full Article

Yahtzee you really need to play Sly cooper. you'll notice the same kind of improvement from Sly 1 to Sly 2 as in Half life -> Half life 2. and then 3 gets even better.

Sizzle Montyjing:
Wow, he could of ended up writing DNF?
That would be weird...
oh, and the bit about inFamous 2, i believe there will be a sequel, as it continues on basically from the good story and there is an electric question mark at the end.
So yeah, just my humble opinion :P
And if there was to be a sequel, they might even have to make 2 games to cover both endings.

How would it continue on from the good ending? I'm not gonna spoil for everyone, but I think you misunderstood the lightning bolt at the end as the opposite of what it is; it's not a sign of possible continuation, it signifies the end.

The-Epicly-Named-Man:
How would it continue on from the good ending? I'm not gonna spoil for everyone, but I think you misunderstood the lightning bolt at the end as the opposite of what it is; it's not a sign of possible continuation, it signifies the end.

Perhaps i'm getting this wrong, but stranger things have happened.
And to me, at least, the lightning bolt signifies that at least something happened to him, unless they just added it as a cool effect :P.
Or maybe it's just my belief that game companies just won't let their protaganist's die.

Duke Nukem Forever would have been an awful fit for Yahtzee. I could see his style gelling well with the likes of Erik Wolpaw and Chet Faliszek though. And I hear that Valve is always hiring...

I like how he says "when i was poor", meaning that he's very wealthy now, does speaking fast like a douchebag on drugs really pay that well? I'm starting my own rants on youtube now.

I like how he says "when i was poor", meaning that he's very wealthy now, does speaking fast like a douchebag on drugs really pay that well? I'm starting my own rants on youtube now.

rembrandtqeinstein:
I'm still gunshy from Bioshock. Everyone raved how good the story was when it was barely above "has a story" level.

Then nobody wrote about the STALKER story that was totally fresh and original even if it wasn't a LONG story it certainly fit the mythology that was being built.

But between this and the video review it looks like it will be worth picking up.

That's because the mainstream gaming media is full of jackasses. They will hype up anything that is heavily promoted by a high profile publisher, like in Bioshock's case, and leave out some game from some russian developer that "nobody cares about". BTW, more Stalker, I'm not buying another Bioshock in the air.

I seriously doubt Yahtzee's game writing skills. One thing is to be opinionated about lots of subjects on a gaming column and ranting on a flash video, but to actually make an entire game world IP is completely different. Im not saying he can't do it, maybe he already has, could you show something, mr. ramblomatic?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here