Zero Punctuation: Alice: Madness Returns

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Yeah, thought he sounded a little ill. Hope it's not too bad.

That laugh at the end over the incredibly lame pun really made the review for me :)

Shjade:
That post-credits joke...ow. Just ow. ;.;

Indeed. Incidentally, this is where I laughed the hardest in this review.
Also, the medical joke in the final caption (right after the cocktail umbrella line) was pretty clever as well.

I actually kind of liked the game, but then I've never played the first one, so I'm unable to make the comparison.

Being perfectly honest, i mostly got this for the original game that happened to be in the bundle and that i had wanted to play for a good few years now, but never got around to getting the PC version

Entertaining stuff as usual Yahtzee, keep up the insulting work

Your voice sounded really weird to me, threw me off through the entire episode. Otherwise good one, could have hammered in the repetition and art design though.

'Batman Returns' ? 'Return of the Jedi' ? Oh Yahtzee you silly goose !

Sounds like yahtzee has a cold. A fair enoguh review but Im surprised he didnt mention that the game is totally and completely beautiful. Ya the gameplay is a little bit on the bad side, but its really really nice looking.

loved that little joke and chuckle at the end. it was a adoraboo

OhJohnNo:
Also, quadruple jump? ...Seriously?

Yup.

And you can sort-of glide between those jumps. And then you can do the game's equivalent of a dodge-roll in mid air (she turns into a cloud of butterflies, it's pretty cool to watch). All that without touching the ground.

Not being overly familiar with the language of platforming games, I don't know whether that's awesome or terrible. I found it pretty fun though.

I guessing he either got a sore throat or his microphone is broken in some way. Regardless good review, so does the HD version still got the flaws like the control or did they fix it?

Yathzee's voice seemed to be a litte.. odd.

That laugh at the end was retardedly, creepily, funny. Even if it made him sound kind of like Nigel Thornberry.

The best ZP in a while. The final "mad returns" joke was very good.

mad returns :3

Great episode, ending had the best joke and laugh ever.

Zhukov:

OhJohnNo:
Also, quadruple jump? ...Seriously?

Yup.

And you can sort-of glide between those jumps. And then you can do the game's equivalent of a dodge-roll (she turns into a cloud of butterflies, it's pretty cool to watch). All that without touching the ground.

Not being overly familiar with the language of platforming games, I don't know whether that's awesome or terrible. I found it pretty fun though.

I dunno, that sounds crazy enough to work.

God, he hit the boss thing right on the head. I probably could've ignored this but for the love of God, they set them up SOOOOOOO easily.

"Oh hey a mechanical robot in the Hatter's Domain! Let's fi-oh it fell apart..."

"Hey, that Walrus is eating all of them! Let's kick so-wait, we're just leaving?"

"Wow, we're right in front of the Red Queen...who has been trying to kill us since the level started....who actually said "off with her head" at the beginning of the level...WHY AREN'T WE FIGHTING!?!?"

C'mon McGee!

Alfador_VII:
Yeah, thought he sounded a little ill. Hope it's not too bad.

That laugh at the end over the incredibly lame pun really made the review for me :)

Agreed. I actually, honest to god, covered my screen in ice cream from that.

i remember he sounded like this in his God of War 3 review and possibly in some others. Maybe he's got a cold or his allegies are flaring up or something.

I didn't think he had a cold. I thought that voice was on purpose; he sounded bored to me. Since he said the game was boring, I thought that was done on purpose. Get well soon, I guess?

Sketchy:

Genixma:
Sounds like someone has the Summer Cold...or was speaking too much into their microphone...or has allergies. Either way, interesting.

That'd be the winter cold... He's in Australia, it's winter here... And at least where I'm from, EVERYONE has this cold.

It's not winter, it's just an upside down summer. >.>

It sounds more like a different mic. Though we go through this every time he sounds even remotely different.

I'd comment on American Pie's Return of the Funk, but I'm not sure what to say. Seems like a good idea butchered.

TheNaut131:
God, he hit the boss thing right on the head. I probably could've ignored this but for the love of God, they set them up SOOOOOOO easily.

"Oh hey a mechanical robot in the Hatter's Domain! Let's fi-oh it fell apart..."

"Hey, that Walrus is eating all of them! Let's kick so-wait, we're just leaving?"

"Wow, we're right in front of the Red Queen...who has been trying to kill us since the level started....who actually said "off with her head" at the beginning of the level...WHY AREN'T WE FIGHTING!?!?"

Jesus McGee!

I'm guessing they were planning on making those boss encounters but they probably ran out of funding or time.

Macrobstar:

Soveru:
Its his job to hate everything

Not really ots his jobs to give his opinion in a comical way, it just so happens he dislikes a lot of games, also for those saying he sounds differant, he just has a cold its happened before

Not sure if you've already been corrected, but ahem.

Critic: "one who expresses a reasoned opinion on any matter especially involving a judgment of its value, truth, righteousness, beauty, or technique; one given to harsh or captious judgment"

As Yahtzee is a "video game critic", it is technically his job to observe and point out the flaws that games have, and otherwise laud exceptional changes to the monotonous clones or just plain poor-quality or poorly executed games that get pumped out. So while the person you quoted was not entirely correct, he was technically more correct than you, sir or ma'am.

If Yahtzee "just so happen[ed] to dislike a lot of games", he would not have this job to begin with.

latenightapplepie:
The best ZP in a while. The final "mad returns" joke was very good.

Really? I felt it seemed a bit flat... end credit joke aside.

To be fair, crappy voice (everyone says cold since it's frozen over in Oz) didn't help.

Out of all the reviewers/critics/whatever who reviewed this game I think Yahtzee pointed out the the real flaws the game had. Especially the one with the lack of bosses. That and I'm glad he said the last one of average too since I found it weird how the American Mcgee's Alice had a higher review score than this despite it having way more problems than this one.

I heard that the new one wasn't very good, and I believe the reviews, but honestly, the original Alice game was one of my favorite games back in the day. I thought the art style was awesome, the puzzles intriguing, and the story fun. May have to grab this game when it drops drastically in price just to see. After all, for all of Yahtzees lambasting, he actually said a few positive things. A game that Yahtzee gives even a single positive point will generally be somewhat decent.

I think there was another time when Yahtzee's voice sounded different, but I can't remember why. Maybe he's got a cold or something. Maybe some device he uses is messing up.

Just noticed how Yahtzees' voice is a big part of the show.

Get well soon!

heh, I thought you sounded like you had a bit of a cold last week, but wasn't sure. Guess I was right. Hope you;re feeling better already!

most critics said it was pretty good but not gr8 but then again they use rating systems so bugger them.

also yahtzee sounds like robert webb this week. and his voice broke a few times (hehe) but i refuse to quote the simpsons sweecky voiced teen coz maybe if we ignore it the show might just go away and leave us alone.

Wow, it took a good 2-3 years or so to make the gay Batman and Robin joke after Yahtzee said it on the Australian Gamer Podcast? I would have thought it would have used it sooner.

nyeahaha ^v^

His laugh made me go LOL

I had a pretty good feeling he was going to slam this.
Nevertheless, i still like this game for one reason or another, whether it's the combat, the platforming or the art direction...
or perhaps it's becuase it isn't another BLOODY SHOOTER.
Great joke at the end too :D

I nearly shot milk out of my nose on that last line. Dang, that was funny. Especially that little "neh" he did after it.

I actually liked the game. I do agree that the platforming is long and gets boring after a couple of minutes of the same platfrom-to-puzzle lather rinse repeat thing, but it has better platforming than the prequel. Too bad the sequel got rid of ledge hanging and it only had one boss fight.

As for the prequel, I only hated how half of the weapons were shitty while a couple of them were cool, but takes up magic and if you ran out, you're stuck to using your knife and whatever you can get your hands on based on how much magic is left. Also the game slows down when you're fighting enemies. The fight between the Twiddle twins was the worst! It lagged so much, it felt like I was playing for the online leaderboards.

I may be on my own hear, but i'm sick of Alice in wonderland, I thinks its done and should be left alone. people now see it as an easy way of marketing to an audience of alternative tastes (I say it like that for lack of a better way to describe the targeted audience)I mean no offence to Lewis Carroll's work, even though its not my sort of thing. but people just take it, make it slightly dark(that marketable kind of dark anyway, I know it was already pretty messed up) and they know it'll sell a few copies.
of course I may just be slightly spiteful because I've known so many girls with Cheshire cat, or mad hatter tattoos who got on my freaking nerves. also i'm from Guildford, where he died and we had to study his work at school, including field trips to his statues in the town center, and I got severely bored of it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here