Zero Punctuation: Alice: Madness Returns

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Coming down with something again, are we, comrade Yahtzee? Get well soon.

Also surprised you didn't stab Disney's Alice. I was sitting through everything expecting a Schadenfreude-tastic torturing of the aforementioned property.

The game was oddly hollow by the end. I mean, I enjoyed it. It was incredibly beautiful... but there was just not enough substance in the gameplay. It is unfortunate really, because the combat was decently well nuanced, and the quadruple jump made for some impressive motion dynamics.

But then you spend the entire game just jumping around hitting levers, and shrinking through key holes. Good mechanics... terrible level design.

Just to add what Yahtzee didn't - The PC version doesn't come with the remake, unless you're one of the people who doesn't mind buying from the EA StoreOrigin AND you live in the US. Yes, that's right, only one portion of the market has access to the remake, and the original at a semi-decent price is like trying to find a needle in a great big pile of turds.

God, I'm surprised how many people comment about Yahtzee's voice. He's not and immortal robot entertainer, there are colds in Australia.

And I really wanted this game to be good, but the moment Wonderland becomes about combat it's just not really Wonderland. I wonder if any of these adaptations would even exist if not for the Vorpal Blade.

You know I have to say this episode really wasnt very funny. He didnt really make any jokes and intead just picked on the game.

Nimcha:
Who the hell plays this game on a console anyway? On the PC it looks so fantastic none of these complaints even matter anymore.

People who prefer consoles? Or people who want the 2 game bundle?

Yahtzee and his cold :(

However.
"Neh Heh Nhehh!"

Cracked me up

I agree with Yahtzee on one thing. The story could've been directly tied to the levels, informing each other. For Chapters 1-4, they do lead into each other,

where Yahtzee missed the point of creepy dolls being redundant. The villain's goals are now clear and how it ties to the orphans in the house.

This chapter is where the creepy imagery is warranted instead of feeling forced. Once you finish the game on such a strong note of interactive storytelling, I could forgive the rest of the chapters feeling more videogame-y.

666Chaos:
You know I have to say this episode really wasnt very funny. He didnt really make any jokes and intead just picked on the game.

Kinda his job, really. Game critic.

trollpwner:

666Chaos:

Kinda his job, really. Game critic.

Ya but normally he makes jokes and stuff. In this one he just kind of listed off problem and didnt really seem to make fun of anything or even try to make it entertaining.

Genixma:
Sounds like someone has the Summer Cold...or was speaking too much into their microphone...or has allergies. Either way, interesting.

You do realize it's Winter in Australia, right?

Aww...too bad...It sounded like such great-hey! Wait a minute, when did Yahtzee get a new microphone?

(Yeah, I know. I could've made the usual "he had a cold" joke, but I'm pretty sure it's been killed a few posts back and I'm currently sleep deprived, which means expecting humor from me is like expecting My Little Pony content from horses. Take that any way you want.)

I played through this game and really enjoyed it (except the end boss fight. That was too easy...).

I agree with most of the review. I was really looking forward to boss fights at the end of every chapter, and so I was disappointed at the end of every chapter when there was no boss. The gameplay is really prolonged and combat gets boring fairly quickly (unless you purposely do stupid things like I did).

Also, if you want the bundle, make sure you don't buy it on Steam, because that doesn't count.

Now that was really unnecessarily harsh. Not that those points aren't true, but it's still amazing what the Chinese devs managed to accomplish.

One just has to appreciate games like this, in today's world of grey and brown.

Also, the first Alice wasn't good? What's Yahtzee smoking? And Scrapland? That was a freakin' sweet game.

This feels like an older episode.

Never noticed the end credit jokes till my girlfriend pointed it out. Currently going through the older episodes to find more.

Ot: I really, really enjoyed the game. I found it fun and really enjoyed the combat. I didn't mind the fact that there really were no bosses until the last one. Would have of enjoyed having to actually take on some of the characters. I mean, take the final encounter with the Hare and the Door mouse, could have been a fantastic end of chapter boss fight I got really pumped up and was like "Oh, finally, a boss fight" and it ended as just one big flop.

Ok, I lied, I do think their should have been bosses in the game. Even if they were just end of chapter bosses. It would have of been better then what we got.

When it comes to the platforming, again, I kinda agree with what he is saying here. The massive jump range is silly and spreads the game out too thinly. A bit like trying to spread the last drop of jam over a massive slice of toast. XD

I didn't see any problem with the enemies in the game, the enemies in the game seemed to vary between chapters and the only ones that seemed to be the same across all chapters where the "ruins".

Over all, I really liked the game. Sadly I don't see any replay value. Just glad I got it on steam and not what ever shit that EA has put out on the market.

Oh.My.God. Yahtzee has been replaced with a gruff voiced british game protagonist!

Jokes aside, Get well soon man.

Loved Alice. Still loved Alice. Yahtzee sucks :P

But we did get to hear him f-bomb his way through this...a new mature edge?

it seems like every few months yahtzees voice changes in a subtle but noticeable way, and just i get used to it, it changes again

OhJohnNo:
Sounds like he bought his old voice back.

Also, quadruple jump? ...Seriously?

No, it's actually more of a 3 jump.

JasonBurnout16:
On the other note, can really not decide if I should rent this game or not. It sounds interesting though. Hmm.

Well the scenery is beautiful in the majority of levels, but some do drag on wayyyyy too long (I'm looking at you dollhouse), but if you don't mind long levels too much I suggest renting it to show support that art games can actually exist in this industry dominated by boring cloned shooters.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Alice: Madness Returns

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews American McGee's sequel adaptation of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Now with more creepy baby doll heads!

Watch Video

By the sound of your review, you had to force your way through this game's boringness and just had nothing really exciting to say about it. Am I right?

All I could think through this video was "Who are you, and what have you done to yahtzee?"

SUDDENLY cocktail umbrella! Saving review, stealing lulz...

I enjoyed playing the game,but it got very dreary and repetitive towards the end.

I thought those dollhouse levels would never end.

I had a few laughs at this video,especially the wannabe pun at the end,hilarious! :D

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Wait, is this Yahtzee? It kind of sounds like him, but it kinda doesnt. Gives you a weird feeling when listening.

It's a cold, he sounded like this in his God Of War 3 review and it happens time to time.

Oh, look! Another "Yahtzee-is-an-Anti-America-xenophobe" joke! Never seen one of those before!

Did Yahtzee grow an extra testicle or something?!

OT: I have already seen reviews of Alice TMR and they all say the same thing...

"It's better than the first game!"

But when you remember that the first game was (by far) no masterpiece "It's better than the first game!" is not saying much.

Is Yahtzee sick? He sounded like he had a cold/flu/bubonic plague and I couldn't really get around that.

Genixma:
Sounds like someone has the Summer Cold...or was speaking too much into their microphone...or has allergies. Either way, interesting.

Australia =P

OT: I've been weighing whether i should buy this or not. Seems like the problem of sameyness is brought up a lot so i probably won't.

Shame about Yahtzee's voice, even though assuming it is a cold it isn't his fault, otherwise mostly good review. A slight error though, the real Alice wasn't a teenager when the author knew her, she was more like 7 to 11 so yeah... 0.o

Genixma:

Its winter in Australia.

I enjoyed the game, but I can't say his criticisms aren't accurate. I would, however, like to point out that the quadruple-jump doesn't actually make the game super-easy. It's easier than the first one, but the first one was only hard because it was broken (it was an action platformer with TPS controls, you can imagine how that went). The original did, however, feature a lot more little interesting flourishes in the level design. Also, I kind of like the mini games and I'm surprised he didn't at least make a joke about the one where you play as a baby-doll head rolling through a machine, although my favorite was the 2D platformer inside a Chinese scroll painting.

Chris Sandford:
for some reason, that didnt sound like yahtzee to me...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...maybe his mic got screwed up again.
[/shrug]

one thing i realize more and more about yahtzee, its that simply put he's a bad gamer. really, any game that requires twitch skills or really intense hand eye coordination he simply stamps "to hard" on it. I played the game on the hardest difficulty and found it a cake walk, but I regularly play bullet curtain games.

he's great at reviewing, great a being a comedian, but his actual skills are extremely lacking.

Xero Scythe:

Chris Sandford:
for some reason, that didnt sound like yahtzee to me...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...maybe his mic got screwed up again.
[/shrug]

He just sounds really board.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook