Zero Punctuation: Alice: Madness Returns

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Get well soon dude,
or go back to the old mic.

He sounds a lot different, I don't like it :/

The voice freaked me out. Like a hobo trying to win me over by wearing Yahtzee's skin and trying his best to sound like him. It was a tad distracting actually, not that he could help it though. Sounds like a terrible game, but I have to take what Yahtzee says with mountains of salt otherwise I wouldn't buy any game ever, not that I do anyway.

(not-so) interesting fact about alice in wonderland, it was written in relation to a world that functioned on higher mathematics logic.

Seriously, the second time I listen through it, the funnier it gets. Yahtzee's laugh at the end summarizes his entire show with that single "Neh heh nyeh", as if saying, "Ha ha, sure my delivery is flat and my jokes are offensive and outright juvenile, but so is the game I'm reviewing. So we're all squared that way."

Chris Sandford:
for some reason, that didnt sound like yahtzee to me...

It's Yahtzee, his other testicle finally dropped...

...kidding, get better Yahtzee.

I can't tell whether someone else is doing the commentary, if you have a cold, or if your balls dropped again.

My personal opinion on Alice: Madness Returns:

It's one of my favorite games of the year.

Yes, it has some flaws. Three big ones include: 1) a lack of bosses you expect to fight, 2) graphics that don't always look "impressive", and 3) levels that drag on too long (particularly the Dollhouse).

BUT.... it has such BEAUTIFUL art direction, a really engaging Zelda-esque combat system, wonderful platforming, hundreds of secrets and collectables, lots of replay value (New Game+, Chapter Selections), original worlds and characters, some great minigames, and it flows very smoothly and responsively.

AND console owners get the original Alice game in HD, and that's almost worth a purchase all on its own (Ebay sells it for almost $150-200 depending on the version).

It was a breath of fresh air in an otherwise shooter-filled, movie-tie-in-ridden season, and it's just what I needed.

The Queen's Castle was a highlight; beautiful art, dramatic chase sequences, clever puzzles and riddles, tense battles, freakish decor and environments, and the storming the castle moment as a giant sized Alice swatting away guards by the thousands.

I recommend giving the game at least a rental. If you remotely liked the original Alice, this one is much better. It's not for everyone, but it charmed its way into my favorite game list this year.

I kinda like the simplistic gamestyle, but dang does it feel empty. .-. I never really thought about it... gah, Wonderland's become a Ghost Town.

I think his voice mysteriously broke again before he recorded this.

Genixma:
Sounds like someone has the Summer Cold...or was speaking too much into their microphone...or has allergies. Either way, interesting.

Actually, it's winter here in Aus. So...

Did everyone else notice that Yahtzee voice was really different in this one? For the first half of the review I could swear it was someone else

-M

I really really enjoyed this game. o.o

the doll thing did get a bit excessive...until you discover why it'shappening. Then the over-abundance of dolls makes perfect sense. the game even managed to make me very uncomfortable in a few places, which coming from a girl who absolutely adores silent hill, is no easy feat.

THey did leave the door hanging open for a sequel to if they so wished one.

Eh, I don't think anybody could talk me out of getting the game at this point. I loved the first one despite the abysmal jumping controls. No boss battles sounds sweet, the Jabberwock squeezed tears of frustration out of me. Then I found out I had to fight it twice T-T

On side note, I know Carroll wrote the stories originally for a real little girl called Alice, but where does the paedophilia spin come from? I hope someone just misinterpreted his use of the word 'love'. Otherwise...I'll never look at the book the same way again.

Loved the entire game...only thing that bugged me was the dialogue. She keeps going on that she had a hand in the family killing but never explains how. And when she comes to the conclusion that she did. It's still not explain. Then she goes back to talking how "there are no centaurs in Oxford" which I never understood I went back and played the original to see if it was from there but nothing. Dialogue aside and letting you believe your about to have a boss fight. I liked it.

Genixma:
Loved the entire game...only thing that bugged me was the dialogue. She keeps going on that she had a hand in the family killing but never explains how. And when she comes to the conclusion that she did. It's still not explain. Then she goes back to talking how "there are no centaurs in Oxford" which I never understood I went back and played the original to see if it was from there but nothing. Dialogue aside and letting you believe your about to have a boss fight. I liked it.

If you go back to the first video in this game, there is a short scene where a centaur is pushing a doll in a baby carriage and the doll bursts into flames a moment later. This insinuates that Alice may have thought a centaur was responsible for starting the fire, and after she realizes who really did it, she backs this theory up by discounting her earlier theory of a centaur starting the fire. Of course, the designers really should have explained this in the game, as only someone completely obsessed or completely mental could have figured it out (You can take a guess at which one I am :P).

I'm amazed Yahtzee didn't mention that Psychonauts Easter egg in Madness Returns image

Unia:
On side note, I know Carroll wrote the stories originally for a real little girl called Alice, but where does the paedophilia spin come from? I hope someone just misinterpreted his use of the word 'love'. Otherwise...I'll never look at the book the same way again.

The "Carroll was a paedophile" theory has been largely criticized in the past decade or so, accused of blowing things out of proportion, being based on nothing more than speculation and supposition, and for failing to take into account the very different social mores of the 1860s in general. Generally the consensus is that Carroll loved children in a non-sexual way, but drawing and photographing children in the nude and being so preoccupied with children as opposed to adults tends to put people on alert when viewed with a modern mindset. Even if Carroll did have a sexual attraction to Alice Liddell - a theory which has no actual evidence - girls were allowed to marry without their parent's consent at the age of 12 at the time.

The boss fights finished by cutscenes were also in a trailer. To me, that trailer might have even made me want the game less. Trailers with cutscenes should be mostly removed in my opinion, except for debut trailers.

Speaking of too many trailers, I can't wait for your Saints Row the Third review, which will probably mention the dozens of trailers it had. Cherished Memories are more like "Spoiled Moments".

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here