Trailers: Civilization World Gameplay - Episode 01

Civilization World Gameplay - Episode 01

Episode 1 of 2kGames' video series explaining the basics of Civilization World, their upcoming Facebook MMO.

Watch Video

*Sigh* I can't say I'm a fan of Strategy games.....but it does still hurt to see the once-great genre slowly choking itself to death like this.
Age of Empires: Gone.
Civilization: Gone.
Warcraft: Gone.
Command and Conquer: Gone.
Dune: Long gone.
What's left? Total War? I guess I should pick one of those games up, before they announce "Total War Worlds Online Ville" or something.

That intro was painfully bland. Couldn't they higher who ever did the technology voices form Civ V to do it again, or anybody besides this guy?

I don't have Facebook, so I couldn't care less about them releasing it as such. I rather see them getting people to make Civ V better, I didn't buy it as I heard it had painfully bad A.I. . I love to play CIV IV, one of the best strat games out there imo. I would love to see more of that - heaps of micromanagement, heaps of depth. This new Civ World looks like it has neither.

GrizzlerBorno:
*Sigh* I can't say I'm a fan of Strategy games.....but it does still hurt to see the once-great genre slowly choking itself to death like this.
Age of Empires: Gone.

Can't argue with that one.

Civilization: Gone.

They just released a new one last year! I've played over 50 hours of it and it's really good!

Warcraft: Gone.

Warcraft III came out a while ago, but as I understand it its community is still alive and well, and this is Blizzard we're talking about. They just don't release frequently. StarCraft II also just came out last year.

They just released Command and Conquer 4 last year too. It has HORRIBLE, CRIPPLING DRM, but it got released. They also released Red Alert 3 in 2008.

Dune: Long gone.

Can't argue with that one.

Get on Steam, search "Strategy." King Arthur is supposed to be pretty good, and it's on sale. Frozen Synapse is also supposed to be pretty good. Squad-based, not huge army-type strategy, but some complex and nuanced stuff. Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War and Dawn of War II are also supposed to be good, although it's not quite the base-building type of game you'd be used to seeing in Dune or StarCraft. Otherwise... yeah, they don't release these games once a year like with Call of Duty, but they're still around and being produced, and arguably they shouldn't release once a year.

NickCaligo42:

GrizzlerBorno:

They just released Command and Conquer 4 last year too. It has HORRIBLE, CRIPPLING DRM, but it got released. They also released Red Alert 3 in 2008.

We all know Red Alert 3

DOES. NOT. EXIST.

Seriously they never made Red Alert 3. If you try and tell me otherwise..... I might accidentally burn your house down. Just sayin' :)

Also, I was being Hyperbolic. I obviously know about Starcraft 2, Dawn of War and Frozen Synapse; (though that one's a turn-based strategy, not RTS). And there's no proof that this online Civ is replacing Civilisation 6. So yeah, I was Exaggerating for effect.

That being said, I highly doubt Warcraft 4 ever coming out. I mean they have 4 games worth of continuity stuck into WoW(vanilla + 3 expansions), and a lot of non-WoW players will feel lost if they continue the story from there for Warcraft 4.

They simplified it further than Revolution? Where will it end?

Not a facebook user so whatever, but isn't there meant to be a hotseat patch for Civ V coming about this time? Come on Firaxis fix your damn game.

Ahh the only Civ game I ever liked was Civilization 3. Which I still have, just no computer to play it on. The old one died and I'm on a Mac.

I don't usually play a lot of Facebook games but this looks interesting. Been playing a lot of Civ V lately so I'll check out this Civ World when it's out and see what it is like.

Tiger Sora:
Ahh the only Civ game I ever liked was Civilization 3. Which I still have, just no computer to play it on. The old one died and I'm on a Mac.

Do you mean you have the Mac version and no computer to run it, or a PC version and you're now running a Mac? Aspyr brought out a Mac port with all the expansions a few years ago.

OT: This game looks nothing short of awful. I don't hate all facebook games by default but I will never understand why it's as if there's some enshrined law that says they must all look like they were drawn with crayons.

GrizzlerBorno:
That being said, I highly doubt Warcraft 4 ever coming out. I mean they have 4 games worth of continuity stuck into WoW(vanilla + 3 expansions), and a lot of non-WoW players will feel lost if they continue the story from there for Warcraft 4.

Considering WoW had a bigger subscriber base than most single-player, off-line games ever reach, I have my doubts that this would be all that much of an obstacle for them. I'm not sure there's all that many Warcraft players who haven't played World of Warcraft, plus any storyteller with their salt can introduce an episode in an ongoing tale without having to recite the entire continuity. Hell, I never finished StarCraft 1, let alone Brood War, I still got StarCraft 2 just fine.

NickCaligo42:

GrizzlerBorno:

Considering WoW had a bigger subscriber base than most single-player, off-line games ever reach, I have my doubts that this would be all that much of an obstacle for them. I'm not sure there's all that many Warcraft players who haven't played World of Warcraft, plus any storyteller with their salt can introduce an episode in an ongoing tale without having to recite the entire continuity. Hell, I never finished StarCraft 1, let alone Brood War, I still got StarCraft 2 just fine.

I'm a warcraft player who never even tried out WoW.
But yeah I think you're right. Blizzard can make Warcraft 4. I still doubt that they will make Warcraft 4; and I will continue to do so until I see a gameplay trailer within my lifetime.

GrizzlerBorno:
Blizzard can make Warcraft 4. I still doubt that they will make Warcraft 4; and I will continue to do so until I see a gameplay trailer within my lifetime.

Yeeeah, with their release timetable tending to be on the order of twelve years, you'd be in for a long wait. XD

fun-with-a-gun:
They simplified it further than Revolution? Where will it end?

I don't think this one is simplified so much as it is... Not really trying to be Civilization. Using the name and some of the most basic elements but very different otherwise.

GrizzlerBorno:

NickCaligo42:

GrizzlerBorno:

We all know Red Alert 3

DOES. NOT. EXIST.

Seriously they never made Red Alert 3. If you try and tell me otherwise..... I might accidentally burn your house down. Just sayin' :)

I liked RA3, but C&C4? Yeah, I agree with you on that. NEVER existed IMHO

Thedutchjelle:
I don't have Facebook, so I couldn't care less about them releasing it as such. I rather see them getting people to make Civ V better, I didn't buy it as I heard it had painfully bad A.I. . I love to play CIV IV, one of the best strat games out there imo. I would love to see more of that - heaps of micromanagement, heaps of depth. This new Civ World looks like it has neither.

The Civ5 team patched the AI months ago, if you play with it on a moderately difficult AI it will romp you really hard now (before I could take on 3v1 Prince AIs by myself, now I can hardly take 2v1).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here