Terraria Review

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Terraria Review

If you're a fan of adventure platforms like Metroid and Castlevania, but you always felt they could be a little more sandbox, Terraria is a must have.

Read Full Article

Hmm, It appears we may have a new god to replace Notch?

I heard about this game from Endling's page on deviantart. He did some art for the bosses, apparently. I was hoping I could see some of the ones he posted on his page in your video review, but it seems those are higher-level.

I love the music, its really funky

Minecraft w/ End Game...

I hate the Fire Imps and Skeletron's Chainsaw attack..

Beyond that its pretty fun to play Solo...I was able to get to Shadowscale in ~12h+ of dickin around

Heh, I've been playing this game since May and I gotta say that it's a lot of fun. Especially if you're playing with friends.

These are the best $10 I've ever spent in a while and even better, it's being dsicounted at Steam for just $7.50.

Seriously, this game is awesome.

Add water to you long drop to hell and then you will survive the landing, or find a lucky horse shoe on a sky island to not take fall damage. While minecraft is all about creaking your own fun Terraria is all about exploring the land, fighting monsters and getting the best armor and weapons possible.

Anyone notice the Kiershar obsidian farm?
And Christ, hopefully THIS will shut up some of the trolls screaming "MINECRAFT RIPOFF IT'S SHIT!" (oh, and if I get warned for calling people trolls, can you explain to me exactly WHY that's an insult?) on this site.

I think the game is pretty cool, and I was happy to support the developer with my ten bucks, but I found the mechanics too difficult to deal with conveniently. I would have gotten a ton more enjoyment out of the game had the aiming been more precise and the blocks had been about 2-3 times larger.

Still, great game.

Justin Clouse is glad that fire imp spawns are down to a less murderous level now.

What? The last patch was June 23rd, and that patch more than trebled the rate that fire imps spawn for me. In fact, it became impossible to mine at all where they can spawn as there is at least one, if not two, imps attacking me constantly.

Early today on a large sized map I built a huge tower to the very top then mined all the way down to the very bottom in hell, I was surprised it only took 1 minute and 6 seconds to fall all the way from the top to the bottom because it feels like an eternity when you build a complicated network.

I love Terraria, it is a really fun game to play and is not similar to Minecraft!

I love both games, but the only real thing the games have in common is the fact that both worlds are composed of blocks...

I don't know who first came to the conclusion that the game is just a 2D Minecraft, but they were completely wrong.

i admit I first heard of it as 2d minecraft. I'm glad to see it has grown far beyond that.

Just need to get some friends to play with. Sigh loneliness.

In Castlevania and Metroid, you feel like there's a purpose to what you're doing. Terraria is more like doing things for their own sake. Unfortunately, that concept works much better for a creatively focused game like Minecraft. The creation aspect in Terraria is not really the emphasis of the game, which is okay, but the adventure is boring and lacking in any real goals.

Also, stolen Final Fantasy sprites for the lose. I mean, I know they were replaced, but I can't shake the feeling it's only because people noticed and complained; the idea that they were merely placeholders all along seems like an excuse made after-the-fact.

P.S. Thanks

Covarr:
In Castlevania and Metroid, you feel like there's a purpose to what you're doing. Terraria is more like doing things for their own sake. Unfortunately, that concept works much better for a creatively focused game like Minecraft. The creation aspect in Terraria is not really the emphasis of the game, which is okay, but the adventure is boring and lacking in any real goals.

Also, stolen Final Fantasy sprites for the lose. I mean, I know they were replaced, but I can't shake the feeling it's only because people noticed and complained; the idea that they were merely placeholders all along seems like an excuse made after-the-fact.

P.S. Thanks

They were stand ins during production, and replaced before the game shipped. This is, like, the most common indie practice in history.

Doing things 'for your own sake' is completely silly. When you stab monsters in Castlevania, why are you doing it? Because the princess is at the end, and needs rescuing? Does it really matter why you are leveling up your gear and potions? The only thing Terraria lacks in that department is a shiny star at the end to certify you are 'done'.

For those who can let the path be the reward, Terraria is indeed awesome.

I dont get why every reviewer I've seen is just doing the review now.. Its been out for months..

But whatever, its a awesome game..

He didn't have lucky horseshoe and died from falling damage. :D That's like the most important equipment in the game. =)

Enjoyed playing Terraria for about three days straight.

Then I lost ~6 hours of progress when the game crashed since it only saves when you quit.

Sorta killed my interest. I'm not a fan of setbacks that large in a game like this.

Its a fun game but once you have everything in it your basically stuck waiting for the next patch. It doesn't have Minecraft's longevity.

lotsofotherstuff:
I dont get why every reviewer I've seen is just doing the review now.. Its been out for months..

But whatever, its a awesome game..

Lol its because they have been too busy playing the game ^_^.

On topic the game is awesome and I myself have spent MANY hours playing it.

Side note: How many people do you have playing on that server and how long did it take to build all of that?

With all the new content being released... this is a must buy.

I only wish they work out the server bugs more sooner than later. Either way, the new stuff is still a constant reason to go back to this game, even after mastering it.

Its good.

What? You want some insight into what i think? Fine.

Its a fun ride while it lasts, but its pretty short. I got it, played it for a week, and i rarely touch it now. Not because it isnt fun, its just that, once you hit the endgame content, it becomes way to easy.

My only complaint is that it's fairly difficult to set up or find multiplayer, considering it's sold on Steam. Besides that, amazing game! Glad to see the Escapist finally getting to it.

I was going to ask how he planned on getting back UP that shaft at the end... but apparently it was never an issue.

Although I'm a diehard console gamer, this game looks AWESOME, and if I can find a console - style controller to use with my laptop, I WILL consider it a must-buy!

This is one of those games that doesn't need a review at all.

It was really fun for me while it lasted (about 70 hours) but I can't really bring myself to keep playing it... kinda burned myself out on accident.

juffeee:
He didn't have lucky horseshoe and died from falling damage. :D That's like the most important equipment in the game. =)

not even close. rocket boots FTW!!!!

This game was entertaining.
However, I can't bring myself to play it again.
Despite adding new updates with interesting content, they had end game content from the beginning.
Without adding more end game content (which they haven't so far), anything else they add is kind of trivial. Well, except for new players. There's not much left for me to do in the game. I could build stuff, but nothing as impressive as what I could do in Minecraft. Honestly, I wouldn't mind it if they added some sort of level up system. Then I could at least set more goals. It could potentially help out with balance as well.

I dunno, it was worth the ten dollars.

busterkeatonrules:
I was going to ask how he planned on getting back UP that shaft at the end... but apparently it was never an issue.

Although I'm a diehard console gamer, this game looks AWESOME, and if I can find a console - style controller to use with my laptop, I WILL consider it a must-buy!

Do you like Ps3 or XBox? Razer make an Xbox controller, it is Razer priced though, or you could get an official MS xbox controller for windows, if you prefer Sony there is the logitech F310. Powerwave is a company that makes both style on controllers cheaply, they work fine but don't have the quality of logitech, saitek, or even microsoft.

However I question the viability of controller support for Terraria.

OT: I had Terraria explained to me as a 2d minecraft, in my experience it is more like a sidescrolling Diablo with crafting. It is all about the Loot.

this game is fun s long as i managed to keep me away from it in small periods. and i think its more fun to play the multiplayer, if all the people on the server is using a new character.
oh i have fond memories of fighting eye of chutulhu (correct on that one if i misspelled it). oh it is so much fun playing with friends when all have just started.

Its "Cthulhu"

OT: I really liked this game, but some weapons, like the blade of grass, are way too powerful and easy to get.

My friend keeps bugging me to play this game, so with this review now, I might pick it up now. I think it's on sale anyway.

Okay, I'm gonna call it "sandbox castlevania" instead of "minecraft + zelda 2" since nobody know zelda 2 anyway.

Might consider getting this. Heard of it but never considered buying it until watching this. Looks very interesting and fun.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here