Escape to the Movies: Hobo With a Shotgun

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Hobo With a Shotgun

He's seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Watch Video

Wait a second.

Is this only now coming out in American theaters?

Regardless, I missed this in theaters in Canada, unfortunately, but I think it's on DVD now. I'm already looking for it on that for cheap, so...yeah.

Wow...this looks VIOLENT.

I hope EVERY faux trailer from Grindhouse gets a fully fledged film. Machete was awesome.

Yeah Rocksteady really screwed that one up, but anyways at least the film is good and I'm pretty sure its already out on DVD.

I'd heard a lot about this movie, and was interested by it. You make it sound fairly decent, so maybe I'll check it out after all.

This looks really fun, not enlightening or morally gratifying but just wacky silly fun.

"Updated, quasi ironic tributes to High School Musical"?

I'm actually kinda feeling that idea. Oh, by the way, not gonna watch "Hobo with a shotgun" I'm part of a generation that probably wouldn't get it.

My favorite movie to come out this year... and it wasn't even in theaters! I had to watch this thing on PSN. Next week Bob should review Rubber.

Id say its more like Japanese gore movies like The Machine Girl and Tokyo Gore Police.

To be honest, the title alone makes this movie at least an 8/10 on anyone's scale.

Well, as a fan of Rutger Hauer, I was almost expecting some sort of Survival Run (That is, Soldier of Orange, the greatest resitance movie of all time) joke, but, meh. Didn't get any, din't miss it. Am I planning on seeing this now? Nope. I'd ruther go to see DotM, unfortunatly.

Hang on, you liked Mall Cop? I couldn't even finish that film.

I will however check out Hobo, sounds good.

Why do you ignore comedies bob? Sure Zookeeper would have been shit, but Horrible Bosses is getting decent reviews and I would have liked to see your views on that. You seem to always duck out when there's only comedies opening in theaters. Why is that?

Ha! I knew they weren't going to get Robin by without you getting a word in.

So... that Robin's a douche because he has a buzzcut?

My god...what did they do to robin?!?

He looks like the silver surfer and some emo kid had a baby.

OT: I probably won't get around to seeing this one, seeing as I did't grow up watching the films it pays homage to.

Bob, this is one of your best reviews in awhile.

Excellent summary of the merits and/or negative points of the film. Check.
Interesting tidbits about cinema history. Check.
No calling members of your audience idiot/douchebags/retards for disagreeing with you. Check.

Seriously, stuff like this is when you're at your best. Good to have you back (at least for this episode.)

Huh, it was playing in my favourite movie theater like months ago and I thought Bob was doing a review of a movie he'd missed or something... But no, it's actually opening in the U.S today.

Now I wish I'd seen it then!

Awww, was hoping for a review of Horrible Bosses. That looks like it could be pretty good, atleast based on it's cast. Still, as a Rutger Hauer fan who was unaware of this movie, I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I saw this movie a few weeks ago after a friend told me about it and raved about it. Said person is very into his horror and grindhouse movies. I've never seen a grindhouse movie before this one and overall I don't think it's my thing.

Hauer did a fantastic performance in it for sure, but some of the other actors were flat. The cheap gore effects (and I know they're meant to look like how they did) just bored me. It's not that I'm a massive fan of extreme gore anyway, but when it's clearly some construction paper and glue filled with red paint, I yawned.

Overall I watched it through and it was enjoyable with some cool shots and one great performance. But grindhouse, it aint for me.

coconut_buyer:
Why do you ignore comedies bob? Sure Zookeeper would have been shit, but Horrible Bosses is getting decent reviews and I would have liked to see your views on that. You seem to always duck out when there's only comedies opening in theaters. Why is that?

My guess would be because comedies are probably the hardest genre to review, and because of that, make for far shorter and less interesting ones. In the end, it comes down to something like this: "I liked/disliked this movie because it made/didn't make me laugh. Here are the reasons why:"

And that's it. Done. They become almost like stock reviews, and it's far more fun for both the audience and reviewer to pick something that will result in a better review. Go see part of Bob's Hot Tub Time Machine review, and you'll get what I'm talking about.

At least, that's my guess.

coconut_buyer:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1556-Hot-Tub-Time-Machine

In this review, he explains why he has a hard time doing reviews of comedies.

Dang. Ninja by Marter.

wait why is this robin a douche?
the only thing my limited knowledge of batman canon pointed out out me as unusual was the haircut.

Love me some of the ol' ultra-violence

Yeah, Robin being inspired by cage fighters does not earn Rocksteady any points. Everything else looks good though, so it balances out.

Woodsey:
So... that Robin's a douche because he has a buzzcut?

I think he's saying that he just looks like a douche. Which he kind of does, I guess. If you consider people with buzz-cuts to be douches.

YES, I had been hoping for him to review this for such a long time I've seen it twice although the second time I could hardly see anything due to large amounts of alcohol.

I saw this in theatres a couple months ago, out of patriotic support for Canadian indie film. And I did find it fun, but I'm also definitely in the demographic who remembers watching those 80s vigilante films, so I could appreciate the parody.

And most viewers who aren't Canadians in their late-20s or older won't get it, but I laughed my ass off at the music they used for the ending credits.

I am conflicted.

A: I hate the 80s schlock films your talking about and hated them growing up.

B: I loved Hobo With a shotgun. Has to be my favorite film of the year, just because of how horrible it is. Ive never seen a film more enjoyable and more easy to make fun at how bad it is. Its like the room, but without the pathetic sad cloud that is Wisneau and guys fighting over an unattractive girl.

You cant solve all your problems with a shotgun!

Ah, Troma.

imageimageimageimageimage

How you've enlightened us in the past. Seriously. Once you've seen a Troma film, all others glow in comparison.

Saw it a coupla months ago (I hail from Montreal). Movie's the epic masterpiece of modern B-movie madness. Everyone with a penchant for gore, absurd dialogue and even more absurd characters and a love of bad Eighties movies should most definitely check it.

Seriously Bob, you need to let your love of the classic Robin go. It's starting to get a little creepy. Like it or not, these are the times we live in. And in said times, a young boy in short shorts hopping round the rooftops with a big man in tights is more likely to get the attention of Chris Hansen than a comic book movie/game director.

If Nolan can make his version of Gotham that is just Chicago with explosions and it works well, what's wrong with updating Robin? Besides, they already did "Boy Wonder" Robin to perfection in years past. (seriously, B:TAS and all it's other versions had a perfect Robin setup) So why not give new Robin a chance before we call him names and say he sucks?

The strength of the Batman Mythos is that it is an archetype and therefore can be infinately reinterpreted. And like it or not, wanting classic Boy Wonder is a wish that isn't likely to come true. I'd rather put forth the question of why Robin has never been anything other than a troubled white kid. There's a lot of room to build an interesting story that a minority character could inhabit. Hell even Frank Miller was forward thinking enough to make a girl Robin.

I missread as hobo with a Shogun

and robin looks fine... in character with Tim imo, thank god its not Jason Todd...now that guy is 72% more dueche

Seen it and enjoyed it.
It's not a masterpiece but the acting of the main character is straight, and that's the best best. Especially when:

why can't any american pronounce a DUTCH name properly. never the less great movie but must have a 18+ sticker or very few kids will be able to sleep.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here