Pages 1 2 NEXT

Shadows of the Damned Review

Flashy and dumb, but not without charm.

Read Full Article

Bulletstorm in Hell?

Now w/ 100% moar Spanish accent

and insert everything that wasnt included in the 2 lines above

-'Lets take this pole for a stroll.'-

Did they really just.... yeah, they did...

Not sure about this game, I hear many mixed things about it. Some people say it mixes things up so often it's amazing, some say the controls are horrid. This needs a demo, or perhaps a spot in the bargain bin sometime down the road.

Side Note: When will the video review parts be in HD?? Ever?

I don't mind a little juvenile humor if the gameplay behind it is my style.

:)

I'll pick it up.

Don't worry guys, the dick humor wears off a bit after the first section.

TheNaut131:
Don't worry guys, the dick humor wears off a bit after the first section.

A bit, yes, but just a bit. The whole game is pretty damn dumb. But I actually rather like how utterly unburdened by thought Garcia is.

That over the shoulder view looks like it could get annoying real fast. :/

Man i need to pick up this game.
As soon as i saw it was by Suda 51 i knew it would be hilariously dumb, hell NMH and NMH were both absolutely stupid at times, but still a lot of fun.
And Johnson and Garcia make a excellent duo.
I love the dick jokes and non-dick jokes spouted by them just talking with each other.

Why did you show boobies at the end, I forgot everything I was going to say.

I would rate it at about 20$, once it drops to that I'll check it out for a giggle, probably won't take too long.

This sounds like a frustrating game. Not so much in the challenge sense but in the "Could have been more with some polish" type of frustration.

This was a tough sell for me. I went into a GAME store to pick up Alice: Madness Returns (and uh... Transformers: Dark of the Moon... hey, I'm a TFanboy, ok?!), and the guy behind the counter asked me if I liked Japanese games. I said no. He asked if I liked Bayonetta. I said no. He persisted and asked if I liked Resident Evil. I said... yeah, kinda. And on that fragile thread he went on to explain the game to me in detail. And I still wasn't sold.

I left the store and went to a local cybercafé to do some research, and I was intrigued by the gameplay and the world. So I ended up buying it on top of the other ones I went in there to get, on the promise that I would return with a vengeance if I disliked the game, which seemed quite possible.

And I loved it! In fact, I even called the store to thank the guy for his recommendation. It is sheer fun, stupid, mindless fun, but done really, really well! And the humour? Well, let's just say this is what Duke Nuke Forever should've felt like. It COMPLEMENTS the experience, it doesn't rule over it.

I'd say get it. If I was satisfied, then you sure as (dick) hell will be.

Shoot enemies with a light shot to remove the darkness before you can kill them? Hmm well that sounds rather like another game... *cough* Alan Wake *cough*

Firework sections that remove the darkness? Well now, that also sounds like another.. oh well you get the picture!

Seriously though, the gameplay does look a little bland and uninspired, just from the video. I expect it's the sort of game that thinks the silliness and dick jokes alone are enough to hold it all together. Sadly, for me, that's not enough.

I'm unconvinced about the gameplay, wouldn't buy the game even if I did have a console to play it on, but the visual design actually looks surprisingly good. There are a few really great facial expressions, the colour palate is consistent but has flashes of contrast (like the main character's blue jacket in warm-coloured environments) that keep it visually interesting.

Still not gonna play it, but it looks very pretty. Insofar as hell can.

I would make a joke about how the entire story seems to revolve around a Mexican man fighting tooth and nail through Hell itself to save his Generic and bland (as far as I can tell from gameplay vids) White mistress girlfriend......but that would be very poorly received, so I won't. :)

Instead I'll say: why does everything looks so.....smudgy, in this game. Sure it has bouts of cool aesthetic design; but every element of the world seems to.... bleed into every other element. Is it deliberate? Or Is is a depth of field thing? Also, is anyone else disturbed by that?

I have a really, really hard time buying any game where there are complaints about controls and gameplay. One of the things I greatly value in a game is how smooth its controls and gameplay are, and this game's complaints say it's got problems there.

I think I'll just play through Resident Evil 4 and 5 again. At least each of those is longer than a weekend.

if you liked no more heroes you will like this.
i personally had a lot of fun with this but then again i also laugh at dick jokes.

I really want this game for the PC. Really, what shithead has decided that this is suitable only for consoles?

Do you think Steve Blum will ever be hired to do more then dick jokes?

Sober Thal:

They could've made a Scarface reference...

Im enjoying Shadows Of The Damned alot, it's juvenile and silly. Kinda lets you look into the mind of Suda 51 and it turns out that he is a bit of a massive 12 year old. Dont belive me just look at No More Heroes.

Also I think this is the best game Suda has had his hand in, No More Heroes and Killer 7 were kinda bad.

the review was a little harsh but it did nail the key points two things i would have mentioned is the music score is amazing! and as a negitive the 2D side scroler is just frustratingly slow (also i wish there was a survival mode or something like resi 5 mercenaries because hell seemed really underpopulated and i wanted to spray my johnson on hordes of enemies)

but still a solid game gotta be at least a 4 outa 5

Can't believe you forgot to mention Mr. Silent Hill, Akira Yamaoka, and some of the awesome pieces he's done for the game!

But yeah... this game is definitely low-brow in its humor, hell, near the beginning Garcia will crack a joke by saying "Please warn me if I have to fuck a horse to unlock a door", plus his full name, as we've heard, is Garcia Fucking Hotspur, if that doesn't say classy I don't know what will!

And I love it! Its not concerned with making itself approachable or decent, it isn't trying to dress itself up in front of our parents, its unabashedly itself. While the gameplay isn't stellar, its functional and familiar to use. It just works. Besides, the Dentist is my favorite machine gun of all time now, hooray for rapid-firing smart-bullets!

It's a hard thing to recommend buying I'll admit, but you'd have to be freaking insane to pass up a rental. Story is short, I'm near the end after 6-7hrs, and so far my biggest complaint is the achievements, which a friend told me about. Its one of those rare bugger games that makes you beat the difficulty to get the achievement, not unlock it if you beat the game on a higher difficulty. So its pretty much no reason to play on "Hard" first, otherwise I would of.

Susan Arendt:
Before we go any further, you may want to give serious thought to how you feel about dick jokes. Lots and lots of dick jokes.

Jejeje. Es un bicho.

Pero seriamente But seriously, this game is what Duke Nukem should have been. Or at least could have been. But every time I see the 'Welcome to Hell' neon sign I think of the joke they missed by not having it say 'Abandon all Hope'.

Worth a rent. Like a quick trip to hell.

It's a decent game.

Pros: -interesting visuals and warped concepts
- raises a chuckle now and then
- solid, though not innovative combat
- excellent soundtrack

Cons: - unskippable cutscenes are unskippable! That's bullshit.
- camera can feel a little quirky
- replayability suffers due to no extra modes or unlockable difficulties/features
- some of the humour falls very flat
- graphics are not excellent

Bottom line: I was expecting more from Mikami (RE4, and my absolute favourite shooter, Vanquish), but it is still a solid, fun game with a cool schlock aesthetic. 7.5/10

Sounds quite interesting.

Somehow, this reminds me a lot of the first Devil May Cry, maybe because of the monster designs or the "castle" level design. Maybe for both.

Was about to find somesite to buy this game from, but then I saw it's console only. Nevermind.

You forgot to mention it's a Suda 51 game! I personally love his stuff, mainly because he appears to have full creative control of his games, essentially doing what he wants. Killer 7 is still one of my favourite games of all time and I really want to get this one.

Waaghpowa:
You forgot to mention it's a Suda 51 game! I personally love his stuff, mainly because he appears to have full creative control of his games, essentially doing what he wants. Killer 7 is still one of my favourite games of all time and I really want to get this one.

I didn't forget, I left that out on purpose, because while it means something to people who know his work, it's utterly irrelevant to those that don't.

But folks chiding me for not mentioning the soundtrack are absolutely right to do so - it's excellent, and perfectly suited to the game. Almost worth the price of admission by itself.

if I had time I would totally check this game out...but I seem to have even less of that than money for games :/

especially come September and onward

Sober Thal:

Not sure about this game, I hear many mixed things about it. Some people say it mixes things up so often it's amazing, some say the controls are horrid. This needs a demo, or perhaps a spot in the bargain bin sometime down the road.

Side Note: When will the video review parts be in HD?? Ever?

I had no real problem with the controls. They aren't super tight but they are far from terrible. The only real issue I had is for the 2D shooter sections which don't have a separate Inverse Y option :/ Pressing down to shoot up in that situation is just really alien and going into options to change it is a pain.

If you have mixed feelings about getting it wait for a bargain or rent. It's worth the trip just for the aesthetics and soundtrack and countless movie references.

Suda51.
I don't think people need anymore reasons to buy this game.

Games should give you an option;
- Jump after girl into the pits of hell, blow shit up for girl and then die in the process. or:
- Don't jump after girl, get a new girl, stay on earth to blow shit up and have fun.

Why do I have to go in and save a girl I don't know? Let the player-character do it whilst letting me control a sane person or something. Maybe you should let the player take control over the Demon-king-guy? That would be fun.

Susan Arendt:

Waaghpowa:

I didn't forget, I left that out on purpose, because while it means something to people who know his work, it's utterly irrelevant to those that don't.

That's like saying it's irrelevant to know if a film was done by Kubrick or not. The context is important for understanding what the game is, and explaining its idiosynchrasies, and if this is standard fare for these developers. If they don't know, then they should know. If this was a site for people who didn't care, it'd be IGN.

John the Gamer:
Games should give you an option;
- Jump after girl into the pits of hell, blow shit up for girl and then die in the process. or:
- Don't jump after girl, get a new girl, stay on earth to blow shit up and have fun.

Why do I have to go in and save a girl I don't know? Let the player-character do it whilst letting me control a sane person or something. Maybe you should let the player take control over the Demon-king-guy? That would be fun.

I think companies find the really cliche corny stuff to be satisfying..

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here