Trailers: Soul Calibur V Trailer

Soul Calibur V Trailer

Trailer for Namco's latest entry in the Soul Calibur series.

Watch Video

I know I'll buy it regardless, but this game better have Xianghua in it! I need to "Just Kidding" people some more!

And I really hope Killik isn't in it. I didn't play 4, but in 3 the guy had range and speed, and he was the only character that kept me from a perfect victory in story mode. He'd kick my butt up and down and there was never anything I could do about it. I won't miss him if he's not in this one.

Not impressed by anything I have seen so far. I am unhappy about this. Soul Calibur is the only fighting series I have invested over 100 hours in.

I want a Soul Calibur 2 remake.

Also: No need for the cross over characters.

I shall remain very happy as long as Zasalamel makes a return - although I see no reason why they would strip characters out.

I'll still purchase this game regardless - but I became near perfect with that scythe, after having fell in love with the style almost immediately after seeing it.

Kilk where are you?

Here's to hoping the game is much more like SC2 then SC3.

For those interested here's my personal ranking of the series thus far:
SC2
SB
SC4
SC1
SC3

Sober Thal:
Not impressed by anything I have seen so far. I am unhappy about this. Soul Calibur is the only fighting series I have invested over 100 hours in.

I want a Soul Calibur 2 remake.

Also: No need for the cross over characters.

Ha. You sound like half the guys on the soul calibur board. I guess that's how I know you're a real fan. Myself I keep an open mind. Soul Calibur 2 was the one I loved best by far but I understand that things have to change, that's the nature of life. As for guest characters, now is a really bad time. Half the roster will be new and it would be a shame (a waste imo) to give a really well designed and compelling move set to a guest.

I will miss my mains though. Taki and Cass aren't in and at this point it's looking like there's no cass replacement. Since we're here this looks like a fine time to post some things from Daishi Odashima's Twitter. ( http://twitter.com/#!/Daishi_CALIBUR ) These are teasers for characters to be revealed at the Sandiego comic con. Speculate away:

Why does this need to exist?

This series hasn't really evolved much since SC2.

Don't get me wrong I'm a fan but does this console generation need two soul caliburs?

ACman:

Don't get me wrong I'm a fan but does this console generation need two soul caliburs?

We have 3 renditions of street fighter IV, six maddens, three bioshocks, lord knows how many call of duty's. I could go on and on. I won't begrudge two soul caliburs. Frankly I'm always happy to see more of something I like and considering the last game was released three years ago it's not exactly like they're swamping the market.

As for why this "needs" to exist, it doesn't. But neither does any of the other stuff I mentioned before. From a business perspective though, you might be pleased as punch to learn that the series was almost ended. The idea according to Katsuhiro Harada was Namco would focus entirely on Tekken and end soul calibur at IV. If you have followed namco releases and looked at their support habits, this seems entirely believable. Daishi Odashima, who began work at namco as a soul calibur 1 tournament player wanted to bring the series back, fearing it was going to fade from the public consciousness, and used a fan petition with 1 million signatures to do so. So I guess there's a lot of answers to that? As a test of soul Calibur's continued market viability? Because a million people asked for it? Because an ex tournament Xianghua player thinks he can return the series to it's old heights? Because Namco likes the long green? Take your pick of whichever one appeals to your particular sensibilities.

ACman:

Yes, definitely yes. Needs more content, because I've done everything there is to do in 4. It also wouldn't hurt for them to give SC5 an easily navigable multiplayer system, as to what would be changed about the menu interface, I have no idea. Aside from that, I kind of like Soul Edge's new look, SC2 made Soul Edge look beast, even if it was supposed to be a shattered mess and shadow of it's former self, I never played Soul Edge (Fuck you Tim Langdell), SC1, or SC3, and I didn't like the look of Soul Edge in SC4.

Anyway, I'm hoping that Partroklos's fighting style is made more masculine, because I don't want to play as a male Sophitia/Cassandra clone, I can just do that in SC4.

Ghengis John:

ACman:

We have 3 renditions of street fighter IV, six maddens, three bioshocks, lord knows how many call of duty's. I could go on and on. I won't begrudge two soul caliburs. Frankly I'm always happy to see more of something I like and considering the last game was released three years ago it's not exactly like they're swamping the market.

As for why this "needs" to exist, it doesn't. But neither does any of the other stuff I mentioned before.

But Bioshock and COD aren't completely repetitive experiences. Even I'm morbidly curious to see where infinity ward takes Modern Warfare's ludicrous storyline. And the 3 new Street Fighter at least make significant roster changes.

Soul Calibur doesn't really feel changed from game to game aside from maybe adding a one or two new characters and stupidly overpowered crossover characters.

As long as we get a create a character option, and as long as we get the classics, its fine.

However I'd also like something like what SC3 did with its tales of soul thing.

Though I doubt it will be good. Oh, i'm going ot buy it, all my friends are, this is our go to fighting game. but any game that is fan petitioned to be made is not going to be as good as it could be. This is going ot be purely about money, and the game will suffer.

plus the story arc is done, done after four. they should have just started fresh, not make sophitia's son the new main character.

ACman:
But Bioshock and COD aren't completely repetitive experiences. Even I'm morbidly curious to see where infinity ward takes Modern Warfare's ludicrous storyline. And the 3 new Street Fighter at least make significant roster changes.

COD isn't a completely repetetive Soul Calibur doesn't really feel changed from game to game aside from maybe adding a one or two new characters and stupidly overpowered crossover characters.

You are aware that this new game is taking place 17 years after the last one and that half the roster will be new characters are you not? Were you aware that the series is for the first time getting a "super meter"? I think there will be differences that will be quite palpable to the average player.

The series has undergone a lot of changes through the years though. From weapon breaks to armor breaks to soul charging moves to character creation to critical finishes. You can't honestly say it has been "completely repetitive". I don't know what kind of "fan" you are, because a fan would probably notice that there's suddenly naked characters running around.

As for COD not being a completely repetitive experience, I will simply state that is your opinion. But you're honestly telling me a super and arcade edition release of the same game is more justified in your opinion than a full-fledged sequel? How can I appeal to reason with that kind of logic? I can't. If being able to select two Ryus gets you more interested than skipping a series 17 years into the future I can't help that. Different strokes for different folks. And I can't say if it will be good or not. It makes it an impossible position to defend something when we don't know much about it. But I think it's just as pointless to detract from it until we know more about it.

I'd love to know who you thought was stupidly overpowered though? Most of the guest characters have been crap throughout the series with the exception of Necrid (who got a tournament ban).

Ghengis John:

You are aware that this new game is taking place 17 years after the last one and that half the roster will be new characters are you not? Were you aware that the series is for the first time getting a "super meter"? I think there will be differences that will be quite palpable to the average player.

The series has undergone a lot of changes through the years though. From weapon breaks to armor breaks to soul charging moves to character creation to critical finishes. You can't honestly say it has been "completely repetitive". I don't know what kind of "fan" you are, because a fan would probably notice that there's suddenly naked characters running around.

As for COD not being a completely repetitive experience, I will simply state that is your opinion. But you're honestly telling me a super and arcade edition release of the same game is more justified in your opinion than a full-fledged sequel? How can I appeal to reason with that kind of logic? I can't. If being able to select two Ryus gets you more interested than skipping a series 17 years into the future I can't help that. Different strokes for different folks. And I can't say if it will be good or not. It makes it an impossible position to defend something when we don't know much about it. But I think it's just as pointless to detract from it until we know more about it.

I'd love to know who you thought was stupidly overpowered though? Most of the guest characters have been crap throughout the series with the exception of Necrid (who got a tournament ban).

Without wanting to get too heated I'm just pointing out that after playing SC 2,3 and 4 I couldn't really detect much difference in the core gameplay, trying to make Sophitia's breast-plate fall off aside. The important difference between them for me is which console generation that they belonged to. Another Soul Calibur on current gen tech feels redundant so I want to know how this will be a significant evolution.

PS. I'm not defending COD.

As long as they return the exhibition mode, and put in a lot of chracter customization, I'll be happy. Hell they had potential to add DLC costume istems for the last game, and didn't do much at all. Take a hint Namco, if people want it, they will buy it.

I want threes custom weapon styles back. It added roughly 15 different fighting styles to the game that weren't tied to any story character. I want my custom characters to not be re-skins of actual characters.

Please have a campaign n' a story this time around. Tower of Souls was soooo boring without a story to drive the gameplay!
Man these guys have so cool 'uniforms', wish I could go to work with an outfit like that!

everyone is japanese, haha

With all due respect, Daishi Odashima comes off as a little naive calling the game extremely original.

Its admirable to see them try to Re stock the cast, something I haven't seen in fighters in a very long time. But its still a soul calibur game. Its a joke compared to other fighting games. All the fights amount to are throws. It leaves no room for competitive play and it just isn't that fun to me.

The people just aren't very good at making these games. Case and point, yoda.

Street fighter tournaments are a regular occurring.
Mortal kombat is starting to get pretty popular in the competitive circut.

Ever hear of a Soul calibur tournament?
That's why I won't be getting it, unless they start doing some major overhauls of the mechanics.

wrecker77:
Its admirable to see them try to Re stock the cast, something I haven't seen in fighters in a very long time. But its still a soul calibur game. Its a joke compared to other fighting games. All the fights amount to are throws. It leaves no room for competitive play and it just isn't that fun to me.

The people just aren't very good at making these games. Case and point, yoda.

Street fighter tournaments are a regular occurring.
Mortal kombat is starting to get pretty popular in the competitive circut.

That's why I won't be getting it, unless they start doing some major overhauls of the mechanics.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=soul+calibur+tournament

For me, tournament opportunities for a game are not even on the list of reasons to buy it.

wrecker77:
All the fights amount to are throws.

Wow. You really have no idea what you're talking about do you?

Well that settles it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or