Escapist Podcast: 009: Skyrim, CivWorld and Tali

Pages 1 2 NEXT

009: Skyrim, CivWorld and Tali

This week, we talk about Skyrim and the streamlining vs. dumbing down argument. We also discuss if Bioware should reveal Tali's face and the office's lastest addiction CivWorld.

Watch Video

Any way to download these things? I tend to throw podcasts onto my phone to listen to while biking/taking a walk or sth, my speakers are usually busy playing something else at other times.

The armor-grieves combination in Skyrim sounds tolerable, but it's a slippery slope to just picking up a full armor set like every bland RPG out there. If I wanna wear bright green pants with my Daedric cuirass I should be able to.

Also, as far as making the protagonist a jack of all trades instead of a uniquely skilled character, I think they're going about this the wrong way. I'd rather choose a specialty, but have some way to change it for a price, like the talent reset guy in WOW or the Power Reset upgrade in Mass Effect 2.

Vrach:
Any way to download these things? I tend to throw podcasts onto my phone to listen to while biking/taking a walk or sth, my speakers are usually busy playing something else at other times.

Yes, there actually is now. There is a Podcast link in the lower left hand side of the player, and they should be available on iTunes soon.

Slycne:

Vrach:

Yes, there actually is now. There is a Podcast link in the lower left hand side of the player, and they should be available on iTunes soon.

Ah so grab it from the RSS feed then, got it, cheers :)

Nab question, does it cost to grab that stuff off iTunes? Never used it and always kinda assumed it's a digital platform so everything's paid for.

I also bought the lightsaber avatar item.

Why? Because it's a little videogame version of me, using a lightsaber, that's fucking why!

Vrach:
Nab question, does it cost to grab that stuff off iTunes? Never used it and always kinda assumed it's a digital platform so everything's paid for.

Nope, they will be free as well.

Slycne:

Vrach:

Nope, they will be free as well.

Wunderbah! Cheers for the info :)

That said, I shall hate you now for giving me a reason to infect my PC with an Apple product!

Glass Joe the Champ:
Also, as far as making the protagonist a jack of all trades instead of a uniquely skilled character

What game are you talking about? I can't be Skyrim, seeing as you still have a choice to make either a specialized character or a jack of all trades. That's what the perk-system helps with, in that you cannot get all the perks from every skill and therefore there is a down-side to having a "all-around" character.

So its exactly the same as in any of the other games, you can't get all the good stuff from every skill.

...Huh. Fluffy green pants is exactly what I said about the armor debate yesterday. Here-

Phlakes:
Nope. Now I don't have to look ridiculous with my fluffy green pants of stealth and my bulky steel armor and a red hood.

And if it really bothers you that much, wait a week after release and there'll be a mod to fix it.

Am I being watched? I think I'm gonna close my blinds now...

Susan was wrong. It's not the atmosphere, it's that their immune systems are... pretty much non existent. Entirely different.

Hyper-space:

Glass Joe the Champ:
Also, as far as making the protagonist a jack of all trades instead of a uniquely skilled character

What game are you talking about? I can't be Skyrim, seeing as you still have a choice to make either a specialized character or a jack of all trades. That's what the perk-system helps with, in that you cannot get all the perks from every skill and therefore there is a down-side to having a "all-around" character.

So its exactly the same as in any of the other games, you can't get all the good stuff from every skill.

Yeah, you can't get the best benefits of everything in one run, but from what they've been saying so far, every character will start out fairly competent at everything. For me, it was more fun to start out good at a few things and terrible at everything else. It allowed for better role playing by having your character already have a trade, and it gave an incentive to make a new character and try the skills you never used because you didn't choose them at the start.

Glass Joe the Champ:
Yeah, you can't get the best benefits of everything in one run, but from what they've been saying so far, every character will start out fairly competent at everything. For me, it was more fun to start out good at a few things and terrible at everything else. It allowed for better role playing by having your character already have a trade, and it gave an incentive to make a new character and try the skills you never used because you didn't choose them at the start.

I have been scavenging the internet for every piece of information on the game and there is nothing that indicates that every character will start off good at everything. Most likely your character will start of as a blank-slate, so it would be like in oblivion if you started off as a novice in all skills.

Really, the only possible down-sides are extremely minor and nit-picky shit that often just borders on the subjective, such as how you want to start of RP-wise. I mean, some people might want to start off when they role-play as a blank-slate and then shape their character as they go on, or if you are a veteran player who knows what he wants to be shape your character right away. There is nothing stopping you from being a witch-hunter or a assassin right away.

Re: Tali's face, i think they should wait until the second Mass Effect trilogy (you know it's gonna fucking happen), set it four or five hundred years after the events of the last game, and have all Quarians out-of-suit. Maybe the descendents of Mordin devised a "cure" for their weak-ass immune system.

that way you kind of find out what she looks like without ever seeing her face.

While I like the podcast, will there ever be any more episodes with Yahtzee and Mikey Neumann? Their few episodes seemed to be much more free-form and I find those types of podcasts more compelling.

On continuing a universe with a new protagonist:

It's been done before in other games. In each Fable game you play a different protagonist, and Halo did it with ODST and Reach where you played as the Rookie, and Noble Six respectively.

The Crysis series did it too, with Crysis Warhead you play as Psycho, instead of Nomad and in Crysis 2 you have Alcatraz. And specifically in the Star Wars games there is KotOR 1 and 2 where in the second game you play the Exile instead of Revan and KotOR 2 happens only 5 years after the end of the first game.

And also the Dragon Age series, with the Warden then the Hawke family.

So Mass Effect's universe can continue without Shep. But the challenge would be making a story compelling enough to live up to the first three games. Which is completely possible because so far ME is full of plot holes and is essentially an idiot plot.

(Really in ME2 even if you take Legion to meet the council they immediately dismiss him as a trophy. You have essentially what is the only non-hostile ambassador of the Geth beyond the Vale and they don't take 30 seconds to consider speaking to Legion directly. Not only that but you meet the council after getting the video of the collectors actually abducting a colony and they dismiss it saying it's not in council space so we don't have to worry about. I'm sorry but that's an idiot plot because it fails logically on so many levels.)

Addendum: Tali's face.

I don't think they should show her face and probably shouldn't show the face of any quarian. Why? Because the moment they do, rule 34 will distort her face worst than anyone should care to imagine.

AvauntVanguard:
Susan was wrong. It's not the atmosphere, it's that their immune systems are... pretty much non existent. Entirely different.

Actually..You're both right. Due to having no immunity, the atmosphere might as well be disease ridden and causes sickness.

On the sheperd vs. hawk discussion......never bring a fireball to an orbital laser fight.

AvauntVanguard:

Aaaand what do you think happens when a shit immune system meets a foreign atmosphere?

In Regards to Skyrim's Armor, armor and grieves together is great, more people on screen is nice, at this point I only hope that there will be more choices of clothing and armor, I don't think variety will have to be sacrificed to keep things from lagging out on my screen.

Still going in Echo Bazaar, Susan? How's the new late-game content? I've heard tell that some of it is damn pricey (both in Echoes and Fate), is it worth it? (I choked when I heard that one of the Rubbery Man storylets takes some obscene amount of Fate, 90 or something.)

I had characters with each one or two high-level stats and now I'm in a hard grind to get them all up near the caps so I can unlock the later content, but it's starting to burn me out and I'd like to have some idea if I'll like what I see.

(My goodness, there's no good multi-stat storylets for Watchful characters. Seriously, if you cap in any of the other three it's easy - if tedious - to get the others up as long as you have a good supply of second chances and a few choice storylets. But Watchful? Some mid-level Shadowy and Dangerous ones but those are locked by the time you cap their primary stats.)

I was thinking of checking out Civ on facebook but I think this has convinced me to do it.

Hehe...as soon as I heard Home Improvement, I imagined someone saying "Hidy-ho, Shepard."

As for the stuff on Garcia, I kind of like that he's that obvious of a character. Sometimes, there is a desire to play a game with a character who directly knows what he's after. That's part of the reason I liked No More Heroes, as each has a protagonist who's obvious in his desires (Garcia looking to get his girl, Travis looking to get laid/revenge).

Tali solution: give the player control of the opacity of the glass portion of her mask. not much extra time in production.

I personally LOVED Civ Rev. Though oddly enough the DS version was much better then the console version. Maybe it's because you didn't have the annoying Voices or the five second wait as one of your advisers popped onto the screen. The only thing it didn't have that I really miss when I play is is the civopedia. It makes it much harder to plan things out without knowing what everything does.

For the Skyrim changes, I think what they announced just annoyed me. I'm not a huge Elder Scrolls fan. I didn't like Morrowind and Oblivion is the only game of the series I really got into. But the fact that they're removing what seems like fairly self-explanatory abilities like hand-to-hand just kind of irks me. The only ones I'd say were a bit vague were the magic-based skills. Other then that, I think you at least have an idea of what each one does.

And that brings into the issue that I highly doubt that getting rid of some skills will actually fix the issue they say it will. I still think that you'll need to play a few hours into the game to get a feel for all of your abilities and how much you'll actually use them. The only way they could really get rid of that is by making it just completely dumbed down by changing into just the basic 'Fighting, Magic, Stealth' options. And even then you'll likely realize you don't care for skills you thought you'd love. That's just one of the main problems with RPGs I think. Until you get a taste of the abilities then you can't know which you enjoy the most. While The clothing thing isn't as big an issue to me, although I do understand why people get upset about it. I do agree the gain is worth it for the clothing.

I actually had the same idea as Susan for how to handle the Tali situation. I think making it optional would be the best way to handle it. Of course, then most will likely run into a picture of her somewhere on the internet by mistake as you just know it'll blow up over sites like these. One really interesting thing they could do is make it so you can see Tali's face in one certain situation, and that's if she dies.

It may sound a bit harsh, but I also think it could be a very intimate moment for the player if it's handled right, especially if she was romanced in the second game by the player. I just imagine her getting killed at the end somehow, and Sheapard goes over and (based on if the player chooses to or other choices in the game) removes her faceplate, perhaps giving her a goodbye kiss or something similar as if to say goodbye. Of course, there could, and really should be other ways for her face to be seen, but I think if they handled it like that then it could be one of the most powerful moments in the game.

Seeing other quarians is another good way to handle it. I guess I really don't care much either way. I do understand the mystery, but I like Tali for herself. She was an interesting character that was one of my favorites. I guess I actually think of her as herself in the suit. Seeing her actual body would be... different at least. I can see both sides of the situation. I guess I like the seeing other quarians idea the best.

Didn't Bioware say recently they don't actually know what she looks like yet? I thought they had at least.

Anyways, I wrote this out as I listened to the podcast, which is why the post is so long. Thanks for more great content.

/rant

-Dragmire-:
Tali solution: give the player control of the opacity of the glass portion of her mask. not much extra time in production.

If I turn it all the way up, will she start bumping into things?

That would be great.

On the top of DLC, I would probably never buy any DLC. I usually wait for the game prices to drop anyways, and they usually release a complete ultimate blah blah pack with all the DLC on it for $30. So yea, DLCs are a dick move for greedy publishers for the most part, especially day 0 DLCs.

Hawke vs Shepherd? Make love, not war.

3rd podcast I cant hear much more than 2 or 3 mins of and my 3rd time asking what Im doing wrong ...

Phlakes:
...Huh. Fluffy green pants is exactly what I said about the armor debate yesterday. Here-

Phlakes:
Nope. Now I don't have to look ridiculous with my fluffy green pants of stealth and my bulky steel armor and a red hood.

And if it really bothers you that much, wait a week after release and there'll be a mod to fix it.

Am I being watched? I think I'm gonna close my blinds now...

Haha. I thought that sounded vaguely familiar when I said it. I must have read that earlier in the day and it bubbled up unconsciously. It's a great example of exactly why this problem bugs me.

Slayer of dragons, master of magic, conqueror of nations and oh yeah dresses like a color blind hobo...

Zhukov:

-Dragmire-:

If I turn it all the way up, will she start bumping into things?

That would be great.

It gets pretty bright out there and she can't put on shades.

Sometimes, you just want to tint your windows.

Tali's face needs to be revealed?

Just as how Vader needed a back-story?

Just had a great idea about Tali. There could be a moment like the end of Star Wars where Luke removes Vader's mask. Removing the mask would give her a chance to say goodbye and let you see her face, but keeping it on would increase the chances of her survival at the risk of never knowing what she looks like.

Regarding return to Ostigar....The Darkspawn DID have the armor. You had to defeat them to pick it up piece by piece. You also had to kill the undead orgre to get the sword and dagger back right?

In regards to Skyrim dumbing down there skill system, they already did that from Morrowind to Oblivion, they changed from short and long swords to just blades, same with blunt weapons. I think taking it a step further is completely unneeded. Also removing customization of gear is a crying shame. I personally love dressing up in fuzzy green pants with a Daedric breastplate. Removing that so we can have more NPC's on screen seems pointless, were not playing Samurai Warriors where the whole point is to have 1000 enemies on screen to wade through.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here