The Big Picture: Hollywood History 101: Part 1

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Hollywood History 101: Part 1

Learn how Hollywood became Movie Central.

Watch Video

Good vid, thanks Bob

Its funny how inflexible industry juggernauts get squished by innovation from time to time...*glares at record companies*

Wow. Thank you for that. Also can't wait to see what the TV did in the next episode. It's up to something, I can feel it.

And just when I started playing "The movies: Stunts and Effects"... Maybe I can learn from this? Nah, the game doesn't have such depth.

Still very interesting episode as always. Thanks Bob.

I appreciate the vid. I usually prefer Bob's videos when he actually gets into opinion and one-man debate, but I know little enough of the early days of film for this to be worth a look.

Honestly thought the big reveal would be radio, but then I figured out that since Hollywood and radio stations existed side by side throughout the depression, that it couldn't be the culprit.

Uhum, but don't linger too much on Tv story please. There is still the silver era, the decadence of western the Hollywood crash, nowadays, I mean lot of material just about movies. Best episode so far. Waiting for part II and possible III.

this was very interesting as a huge film geek i knew a bit about the history of hollywood but moviebob just showed me i only knew the tip of the iceberg, thanks bob

I guess history repeat itself eh?

Now the big unstoppable juggernaut is very slow to adapt itself to the internet. >_>

Thanks Bob, this is helpful. I knew some of it, but it helps to have a go-to guide from an expert.

Interesting to note the similarity that came into my head to the monopolistic business practices of Nintendo in the 1980s, and how that era is similarly remembered as a "golden age" of video games...

Very very interesting Bob.

One question though. Will you be covering the HUAC affects on Hollywood in the Early 50's?

and while hollywood was blasted for owning distribution and content, the record companies keep on abusing the system and artform

Thanks Bob. Sometimes I get lost when you start talking about old movies and things like that, so Im glad to you to clear it out.
Great episode.

Fantastic. I love when you demonstrate your undeniable authority on the history of film and film criticism, Bob.

Was TV the main culprit though? I've read that the UK and other European film industries (especially the French and Italian) rose to dominance in the 1950s and 60s and posed a very real threat to Hollywood. I'm hoping you touch on that as well, as it's always interested me.

Is that missing no. at 2:56 in the word block or...what?

The end is like the worst part of the best history classes. it ends right when stuff is getting interesting.

Great episode, but damn your cliffhanger Bob.

While knowledge for knowledge sake is fun, and I'll probably bring some of these factoids up at some point in my life, I'm hoping this will all tie into something.

I've got a good source for anyone who wants to do more research on this (including Bob, if need be):

TV Tropes: History of Hollywood

Yeah, it's TV Tropes, but it basically covers everything that Bob's going over concisely and clearly, along with everything else that he couldn't fit into a five-minute video.

Side note: Yeah, I wrote a large amount of the stuff on that page and its sub-pages. Feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

Oh geez, it's like the first term of film class all over again...

A good episode. In the future, can you bob make one around the subject of the europern films from that era (Like Metropolis, bike thives and M)?

Damn it. I was so into this. For someone who takes his trivia in 2+ hours blocks this was really unsatisfying. Not unsatisfying in the "this was not good" way but unsatisfying in the "I need more" way. You know... the good way.

I look forward to the next instalment.

Alright, directly typing what my friend says while he's on suspension:
FUCK Bob, whenever you do these multi-parters, you ALWAYS end it on a fucking cliffhanger! FUCK.

{Me} And... I really can't disagree with him. I mean, the Green Lantern first part was a cliffie, and everyone knows cliffies are the worst!

But thank you for the enlightenment, Bob, it's stuff I didn't know and probably won't need to know! Internet, FOR THE WIN!

So are those businessmen "robber barons" or intelligent entrepreneurs? I'd like to see an episode on that.

i didnt really see it in the sillouette but i was thinking the internet

I guess im getting ahed of myself, maybe that is for part 3 lolol

Ah, reminds me of the movie history 101 class I had in school. For me, this is nothing new, but it's always good with a refresher, and this is really good stuff.

I've learned a few new things! Thanks for the history lesson. :)

More like: You're Bob
And that's part of the Big Picture.

Another day, a little bit wiser. Thanks, Bob. Most episodes remind me of how young and oblivious I am. I mean that in the most positive way possible.

did not know that stuff... and do not regret knowing it now
nice educational watch
looking forward to next time

Entertaining education! There's something you rarely see. Kind of getting sick of the fact Movie Bob has to put a disclaimer about his condensed histories. It's a summary (well the first part) of a industry which left a massive impact on global culture then and now... In under five minutes, don't think he can cover everything.

Falseprophet:
Fantastic. I love when you demonstrate your undeniable authority on the history of film and film criticism, Bob.

Was TV the main culprit though? I've read that the UK and other European film industries (especially the French and Italian) rose to dominance in the 1950s and 60s and posed a very real threat to Hollywood. I'm hoping you touch on that as well, as it's always interested me.

I agree, TV in the fifties and HBO in the seventies (PPV films) only had an effect on box ofice receipts (it is important to factor in TV becoming more affordable and the baby boomers moving to the suburbs).

As Falseprohet says there is an important European influence. A number of German/Jewish ex-patriots worked within the "studio system" bringing their own influence (the German Expressionistic influence upon "film noir" being the most overt). More important and timely was the rise of European art cinema in the fifties/sixties (Bergman, Fellini, Truffaut etc) fed a cine-literate audience looking for something with a more sophisticated dominant mode of address than typical Hollywood fare. This of course would inform the rise of post-classical/new Hollywood in the sixties and seventies where to some extent the gap between the two modes of production was closed to some extent.

Oooh, I'm learning knowledge. Movie knowledge.

Yeah, the studio system produced some excellent movies, but... Let's not forget that they also produced the four crappy movies they forced their theaters to show to get that excellent movie. I think between our here-and-now awareness of the volume of crap Hollywood shuffles on to us and the fact that you're more likely to see Sunset Boulevard or Casablanca on television than any of the movies MST3K mocks played straight often leads to a kind of rose-colored-glasses nostalgia that isn't an entirely accurate picture of the so-called "golden days". We're not going to be seeing a lot of rebroadcasting of Ecks vs. Sever in thirty years, either.

I just recently finished an Early Film History class and you were able to better explain all of that history in five minutes than my professor could in sixteen weeks. Yay Bob, loved the review.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here