The Terrifying Tale of Amnesia

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Designer and Programmer Thomas Grip reveals the story behind the creation of Amnesia: The Dark Descent - including how it originally imitated Super Mario 64 and how you may have helped save the game from disaster.

Read Full Article

Wow, that was really interesting! Kudos to the development team of Amnesia! You guys made a great game that still keeps me up at night =D

Very Intesting Read, Amnesia is such a fantastic horror game, and one of my fav in the genre.
Glad to know everything worked out, as it would have been a compete shame if after all that hard work if it went to waste.

Congrats to them. Hope they bring out a 'like Amnesia, but better' with their next title :P

Wow. Those guys were cutting it pretty damn close.

Glad it payed off in the end though. Amnesia was fucking brilliant. Easily one of the best games of 2010.

If Frictional make another horror game, I'm buying it. Hell, I'm pre-ordering it, no questions asked.

its a good game only that it dint scare me as i hope it would, no seriously, this game dint scare me one bit.
was a good read anyway. good to hear they had success. im interested how their next game will be. the atmosphere was really good in amnesia and it sure made you want to keep playing, just not scary for me.

does this mean FG is going to write stuff for the escapist?
awesome!

I love Frictional. Both of the Penumbra games (I got stuck on Requiem never finished it) and Amnesia are some of my favorite games and by far the best horror games that have been released in the past few years.

It's a good thing there wasn't any combat in Amnesia, while it wasn't terrible in Penumbra: Overture, it was pretty basic and really had no point to it.

I played Amnesia at my friend's house and it was great. First time I had actually been scared in years and i loved it. I would buy it myself but my computer is terrible.

Very good read, amazing how borderline things got there...wouldn't expect Steam sales would be capable of making-or-breaking a game.

Inspirational story, thanks for writing it.

WOW, I never realized the game took over three years to make! Good thing it was worth the effort. I've never been more afraid in my life when I played it last October.

Good article, more of this...

I bought Amnesia at some point too after it got some coverage in the media (I think it was the Christmas sale) and I wanted to try it, unfortunately it didn't quite impress (or scare me) quite as I would've liked and I only played the first 3 or-so levels and that Portal 2 ARG campaign so far... I might get to continue it at some point though.
Good luck to you guys and maybe you can do a game that's thematically somewhat different this time around :P

It's harrowing to read how close you were constantly to never getting the game out the door, and interesting how much design iteration it went through over the years. I'm really glad you got financial stability from your hard work and can work on your next game with full focus on making it even better.

Mr. Google:
I played Amnesia at my friend's house and it was great. First time I had actually been scared in years and i loved it. I would buy it myself but my computer is terrible.

Amnesia is on OnLive now, I believe, so you no longer need a good computer to play it, just a decent internet connection.

I just finish playing Amnesia last night (ended up playing untill the sun got up). And I love it (even if I have to play it in low setting :( )

BTW: Does anyone know why developers teams (mainly indie) doesn't put a "donation" feature in their bussiness model???. I'm shore that a percent of the people who get Amnesia at 25% (or piracied it) would give a nice tip to FG for the asskicking scary jumps they got playing the game.

Just saying: more money into FG -> more games from FG

Great story. It's nice to hear how Frictional managed to survive through all that. Good luck to them on future projects!

hollowleviathan:
It's harrowing to read how close you were constantly to never getting the game out the door, and interesting how much design iteration it went through over the years. I'm really glad you got financial stability from your hard work and can work on your next game with full focus on making it even better.

Mr. Google:

Amnesia is on OnLive now, I believe, so you no longer need a good computer to play it, just a decent internet connection.

Well i neither have a great internet connection or OnLive so im still SOL. I have a strictly internet browsing PC from like 2003.

This is a great story. Very cool to hear how they managed to put this game together, well done.

I really enjoyed that story, and I had no idea what they had to go through just to get that game out. I'm glad they survived all that madness.

Good luck and I wish nothing but the best!

Amazing read, and I am quite glad that Frictional Games was able to release Amnesia, because that was probably my best game of 2010.

Great article, reminded me a bit of the one about Starbreeze Studios by 1Up http://www.1up.com/features/starbreeze-secret-history, but with an overall better ending. I mean it's really nice to read this kind of stories, puts things in perspective and ends up adding to the game's experience. Knowing what went behind your enjoyment (and horror in this case). It's a pitty I can't play Amnesia, I get too terrified, seriously.

LawlessSquirrel:
Very good read, amazing how borderline things got there...wouldn't expect Steam sales would be capable of making-or-breaking a game.

It's not the first time Steam saved a small indie studio. Just look at Introversion and Tripwire.

Reading that it kinda makes me happy to know how vital a time it was when I bought the rest of penumbra with the Humble Indie Bundle discount. It wasn't much but every little bit helps right?

Glad we got this version of Amnesia despite all the setbacks in development, would have been a shame to not get such a great horror game considering how rare good horror is in gaming.

It could just be the heat, but I feel sick. An A+ company like this struggles to build their game, risking bankruptcy and having disinterested and cruel marketing claws sinking in the whole time. They had to deal with a never-ending crunch time, low pay, and low interest from the community as a whole. It's amazing that the game even got completed!

I... I dunno, I just want to say a great big neon THANK YOU!! to everyone who bought the game early, or at all. Every single penny is their lifeblood, and you've been generous to the blood bank. If not for all of you, yet another great small company and one of the last bastions of beautiful, mind-bending horror might have died out. I'm so emotional now, you guuysss

That was a really interesting read. Despite all the problems and setbacks when making this game, i'm glad you guys at Frictional Games pulled through and produced, in my opinion, the best and scariest horror game ever made.

Kudos! :)

I saw the teaser, and I was hooked instantly. The teaser sent shivers up my spine, and I knew that was a game I would have to have. I didn't know about the pre-order, or else I would have... tried. I was (and still am) a poor college student. :) But they got some of my food money. That's right, I ate less so I could have this game. :D Sounds like they ate less to make this game. Seems fair.

That was a cool story, I'm glad Frictional Games managed to make it through and keep making games.

I really hope Frictional continues to make horror games, theirs are the only games that truly scare me.

Great article! I love Frictional Games for all that they've done; they've really been through a lot in the process it seems. Hopefully they come out with some new horror games down the road. They are one of the best companies at it in my opinion.

So, long story short, Steam saved the day? Oh Steam, it's a love/hate relationship with you :P

Thomas Grip:

Designer and Programmer Thomas Grip reveals the story behind the creation of Amnesia: The Dark Descent - including how it originally imitated Super Mario 64 and how you may have helped save the game from disaster.

Read Full Article

Thank you Frictional for my GOTY 2010. A helluva ride it was :)

Brilliant read. Really interesting to see how the game came together and the money worries that you faced as well - kudos for making a fantastic game. (Best horror game of the year).

Great read and a fucking spectacular development team!
Keep up the awesome work guys, we need more!!!

This game easily ranks in my top 5 favorite games. When I got this my gf and I set out to play through this together, planning to make it an all nighter over a long weekend. Unfortunately, it took weeks to play because we'd get so scared that we had to stop and come back to it a few days later. Never have I heard that girl scream like that, any time we'd open a door and a monster was inside. I had to cover up the picture of the monster in the article because it was making me too anxious. Not many games stick with me like that.

I love you guys, and look forward to whatever you make next.

Amnesia is by far one of my favorite games because it managed to terrify me while being very immersive with a good story. And when I say this game terrified me, I mean like, I have felt every emotion within and around fear and suspense while playing this game. I am kind of sad that such a great development team was struggling, wake up and smell the good games people! And buy them! Ya! Amnesia is amazing.

Yay for my favorite indie game developer! :)

Amazing to see how close this game was to not having existed, and I'm glad that it got released. (: It was a great ride of a game.

Off-topic: Do we really have to watch ads before we get the captcha now? Really?

Actually i'm surprised that i'm not surprised. the killer piano in mario 64 and the rest of the stuff in that level did scare many a 9 year-olds shitless.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here