Miracle of Sound: Duke You Used to be Cool (Duke Nukem)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Oh man, this song was somewhere between awesome and... awesome.

This is actually rather good as a song game review. Rebecca Mayes Epicness!!

Triforceformer:

DarkhoIlow:
Great song and I agree with the message.The 2 weapon rule kinda ruined it all,amongst other things.

I think it was the only game that I almost punched the monitor when I died by accident and I had to wait 2 minutes for the damned loading screen each time.

Let me guess. You played the 360 version?

The PC version actually.

My system specs were set to high.The timer of load times were fluctuating between 1.30 - 2.03 mins.

Great song, awesome work as usual. And yet another variation in style! Impressive as ever.

wrt the visuals, I'm less inclined than ever to play DNF, as much as I enjoyed DN3D. Excellent video, though - thanks for giving us more of a feel of the game. :)

lol, thats how i was feeling when i was playing this crap. lets hope the next duke will be better and for sure not this 2 weapon system anymore.
still wish i cna get my money back for it.

Wow, that's probably my favorite song you've done so far. Great job!

we should play this outside of gearbox. I think Duke needs an intervention. He's not dead yet, he just needs to be saved.

Also, I was the guy begging for a Duke song in the "Age of the Dragon" comments on youtube, so... Thank you My King!

Like I said before though, Wonderful piece of music.

MiracleOfSound:

Phlakes:
When you said it was thrash metal on the Facebook page, I got a bit worried because I hate metal. But I am very pleased at the absence of growling and screaming.

Also, any idea when Sweet L.A. will be on Bandcamp/iTunes? Can't wait to get that one.

Today...

And metal doesn't all have screaming and growling in it. There are hundreds of different kinds of metal (I happen to like screaming and growling myself though)

Weird, hasn't shown up here on itunes at all today, maybe tomorrow.

OT: For me the screaming and growling type of metal always gave me a headache. Just wondering Sound but what kind of metal was that you used for the song?

dalek sec:

OT: For me the screaming and growling type of metal always gave me a headache. Just wondering Sound but what kind of metal was that you used for the song?

I dunno...thrash metal with a pop chorus?

MiracleOfSound:

dalek sec:

I dunno...thrash metal with a pop chorus?

Ah I see. As other's have said I'm impressed by the range you have in these video's. You're making me drain my itune's gift card slowly at this rate. I think my favorites personaly are "Wheatley's Song" "Mind of the Bat" and "Wasteland Soul".

DarkhoIlow:

Triforceformer:

DarkhoIlow:
Great song and I agree with the message.The 2 weapon rule kinda ruined it all,amongst other things.

I think it was the only game that I almost punched the monitor when I died by accident and I had to wait 2 minutes for the damned loading screen each time.

Let me guess. You played the 360 version?

The PC version actually.

My system specs were set to high.The timer of load times were fluctuating between 1.30 - 2.03 mins.

Then something is very, very, very wrong with your system. I max out the game and the longest loading screen I got was around 15 seconds.

Owlslayer:
Well that sounded good, even tho i don't usually like heavier stuff, if you can call it that. I did like the lighter parts of the song more, i guess.

This. I would absolutely love it if the entire thing was that cheesy rock anthem style. Especially that third chorus, that shit was amazing.

dalek sec:

It's up on Bandcamp. At least for me.

Also - loving that the Escapist intro is now silent for MoS vids. With other videos it's not such a big deal, but the sound effects often jar with the sound of song, and the MoS video doesn't have its own intro.

Much nicer just to move straight into the song with no sound effects. :)

I still claim that Duke was never cool. Games were good though.

Oh this one isn't under your name, no wonder why it was so hard to find

After watching this video I can't help but hope now more than ever that one day Gearbox will take the Duke Nukem character/license and make a true sequel to DN3D thats just as immature and filled with womanizing and witty oneliners that kicks as much ass as 3D did

Wow. As always you show amazing breadth in your work Gavin. Good job.

The song feels a bit schizophrenic with the difference between the hard music style and the rather soft sung-chorus (personal prefference would've been more along the lines of In Flames - The quiet place) personally I think that one should be softened/hardened for them to meet up better. This felt more like a pop-song trying to be "hardcore", or possibly a "hardcore" band making a mock pop-song.

Still...I get the feeling this will grow on me each time I listen to it. I hated the first chorus, but by the time I got to the end of the song I was nevertheless humming along. I'll probably come to love it like the rest of your work :P

JustaGigolo:
I like Duke Nukem: Forever, despite what the Bangwaggon says.

Can't wait for it to stop being cool to bash that game.

Yeah, people aren't bashing the game to "be cool", they are bashing it because it is not a very good game.

You should go on Ireland's Got Talent, they've got that right?

Anyway, it's a Miracle that you can produce these sounds.

Oh, Miracle. Why do you have to make me cry?

Now I have to go find Duke 3D again. I know it's here somewhere...

MNRA:

The song feels a bit schizophrenic with the difference between the hard music style and the rather soft sung-chorus (personal prefference would've been more along the lines of In Flames - The quiet place) personally I think that one should be softened/hardened for them to meet up better. This felt more like a pop-song trying to be "hardcore", or possibly a "hardcore" band making a mock pop-song.

I listen to a lot of Devin Townsend, who does this style very often. It was deliberate to have the chorus sound very pop! I'm not into In Flames to be honest, their stuff sound kinda wimpy and sonically flat to me.

Tax_Document:

I will never partake in a popularity contest that has nothing to do with actual talent ;)

MiracleOfSound:

MNRA:

I listen to a lot of Devin Townsend, who does this style very often. It was deliberate to have the chorus sound very pop! I'm not into In Flames to be honest, their stuff sound kinda wimpy and sonically flat to me.

Tax_Document:

I will never partake in a popularity contest that has nothing to do with actual talent ;)

Ahh, sorry, I don't usually watch the show I just thought you were judged and moved on.

Sorry!!

Tax_Document:

Ahh, sorry, I don't usually watch the show I just thought you were judged and moved on.

Sorry!!

Maybe that is what happens? Maybe I'm thinking of X Factor/American Idol.

Either way - thanks for the compliment :)

Wow, okay after hearing this I approve Miracle of sound completely. Lyrics were so spot on and described what was ultimately wrong with the game. I loved the chorus.

Tried the demo yesterday, found it to be utter shit. Couldn't even play through the fucking demo of the game, now THAT is saying something.

Guess which gigantic noob just messed up the age restriction box and locked himself out of his own song...

:D :D

mikespoff:
Also - loving that the Escapist intro is now silent for MoS vids. With other videos it's not such a big deal, but the sound effects often jar with the sound of song, and the MoS video doesn't have its own intro.

Glad you noticed, and I agree. Much cleaner as a music video presentation with the pre-roll bumper running over the song lead-in. I started that with "Sweet LA" and I think I'll probably keep it. Might try to work up a completely new intro as well if I have time at some point.

You proved the main problem of DNF in one song. Bravo.
Here was the real issue (besides the loading screens):
It's not that Duke doesn't fit into today's society. It's that his personality and his gameplay have always been linked. In Duke3D, Duke didn't just say he was badass: he was badass. He was carrying about 8 heavy guns around and still running at the speed of the cheetah. He was kicking with both feet at the same time while still moving forward, propelled by nothing but his awesomeness. He was taking on 10 aliens at once and still kicking all their asses, making lewd comments as he did so. He had a FREAKING JETPACK.
In DNF, he still acted like he was all tough, and I love Duke's personality, but he was a wimp: taking cover, only being able to take about 4 hits before dying, only having two weapons, etc. It was like Duke Nukem's atmosphere with Call of Duty's gameplay, and that doesn't feel right.
On the bright side, knowing what the fans want, they can hopefully listen to the complaints and return Duke to his former glory. At the beginning of the new Duke game, he should spit out some gum, look in the gum package, and see no more. He should then look at the camera and smirk.

Russ Pitts:

mikespoff:

Glad you noticed, and I agree. Much cleaner as a music video presentation with the pre-roll bumper running over the song lead-in. I started that with "Sweet LA" and I think I'll probably keep it. Might try to work up a completely new intro as well if I have time at some point.

Yeah, I actually went back and re-watched the "Sweet LA" video after this one and noticed that it was also silent there - wasn't sure if it had been that way originally or had been retroactively removed. On that note, the "Sweet LA" is among the best vids that you've done - great blend of black and white with colour, great mood-match for the song.

This song owned.. and the game blew. I mean, I can handle flaws but.. .darn, 12 years to waste. No offense on their part- but also was very.. very disturbed with the scenes taken place in the Alien's lair. How could Duke be so uncool to let all of that happen? Not a hero.. just a dude who needs to redeem himself.

Okay, I love this song. Further more, thank you for making a musical request for Gearbox to remove that "lame 2 weapon rule" they added onto DNF once getting a hold of it. (Seriously, there wasn't even an end-game cheat to remove it, but they gave us God mode /and/ infinite ammo?)

Dfskelleton:
You proved the main problem of DNF in one song. Bravo.
Here was the real issue (besides the loading screens):
It's not that Duke doesn't fit into today's society. It's that his personality and his gameplay have always been linked. In Duke3D, Duke didn't just say he was badass: he was badass. He was carrying about 8 heavy guns around and still running at the speed of the cheetah. He was kicking with both feet at the same time while still moving forward, propelled by nothing but his awesomeness. He was taking on 10 aliens at once and still kicking all their asses, making lewd comments as he did so. He had a FREAKING JETPACK.
In DNF, he still acted like he was all tough, and I love Duke's personality, but he was a wimp: taking cover, only being able to take about 4 hits before dying, only having two weapons, etc. It was like Duke Nukem's atmosphere with Call of Duty's gameplay, and that doesn't feel right.
On the bright side, knowing what the fans want, they can hopefully listen to the complaints and return Duke to his former glory. At the beginning of the new Duke game, he should spit out some gum, look in the gum package, and see no more. He should then look at the camera and smirk.

I think you have a really good point there, but seriously. DNF would of been better for me if they would of had an end-game cheat to remove the 2 weapon rule, I can't even find a mod to remove that brain-dead flaw.

This is great, MoS, even though I still secretly love The Duke ;)

MiracleOfSound:
Guess which gigantic noob just messed up the age restriction box and locked himself out of his own song...

:D :D

Funny thing about the age restriction box.. it's broken. If you don't enter anything and just hit the 'go' button or whatever it is it will take you to the video.

MiracleOfSound:

I have single drum hit samples which I copy and paste into the patterns I need using Cubase.

It is very time consuming :D

When reading that I was expecting reason(tm).

OUCH! That must be extremely time consuming.

MiracleOfSound:

InsomniJack:
I like the music, but... I'm sorry, I couldn't listen to any more of it after "You're an out of date, redundant sacred cow." That line is so awkward, even to read.

I'm all for constructive criticism, so please do elaborate.

Well... I'm not sure what exactly to say. Music is such a subjective thing, it can be flawlessly argued that what works for you won't work for other people, and vice versa. I can't really call it constructive criticism as this one issue I have is just my own personal thought on a different subject altogether. In this case: wordiness.

What I mean is that I believe there are artists out there (and I've noticed this coming mainly from female singers) that have the position of adding a lot of words in the lines that they sing. Whether it's to get a rhythm from the syllables used or to cram as much of their psyche in the song as possible, that's to be decided by the listener, I suppose. But I never really cared much for it. I guess you could blame my own music choices (Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Starflyer 59) for gravitating towards lyrics that are (for the most part) compact and carefully chosen.

But when I heard that line, it just... I don't know, it felt so out of place for me. I'm sure in writing it's a perfect view on Duke Nukem. But I can't recall a time I've heard "sacred cow" used in a song other than from Primus ("Line 'em up now, greet the sacred cow"). It's a rare expression, and as a result, I ended up unconsciously comparing your line with Claypool's line. His, which was divided and spaced out; and yours, which fit all those words into one breath.

Again, that's just my view. You may find that line works perfectly for you. And that's fine. I'm just stating my opinion. It's unfortunate that I can't really offer any constructive criticism, as pretty much all I have had to say is just my personal feelings based on my own experience with music (both listened and composed), and not from some guidebook on how music is to be written.

However I will say: I think it was rather petty of me to stop listening to the rest of the song based on my reaction to that one line. And for that, I apologize.

InsomniJack:

But when I heard that line, it just... I don't know, it felt so out of place for me. I'm sure in writing it's a perfect view on Duke Nukem. But I can't recall a time I've heard "sacred cow" used in a song other than from Primus ("Line 'em up now, greet the sacred cow"). It's a rare expression, and as a result, I ended up unconsciously comparing your line with Claypool's line. His, which was divided and spaced out; and yours, which fit all those words into one breath.

A fair point. What I was trying to do there was to fit the lyrics around the spirally guitar riff that plays simultaneously. It's not always easy to be objective about your own work so sometimes little clumsy or less smooth sounding things will slip out!

InsomniJack:

However I will say: I think it was rather petty of me to stop listening to the rest of the song based on my reaction to that one line. And for that, I apologize.

That's quite alright, I have no problems with people not listening to a song they're not enjoying.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here