No Right Answer: Videogame Industry's Biggest Broken Promise

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Videogame Industry's Biggest Broken Promise

Chris and Kyle decide who has wronged them more in the videogame industry. Post below or tweet what your choice would be, and we'll list the top 3!

Watch Video

At least Square Enix was giving us Kingdom Hearts games, although they did get a little cheeky with Recoded.
As for Half Life, I dunno, if Meet the Medic taught me anything, is that they do eventually get round to doing things, just on Valve time...

I actually quite liked this one.
I'll be back next week.

I don't know why I like these guys but I do.

And here's a real broken promise: Dungeon Keeper 3.
There was even a trailer for it in Dungeon Keeper 2.

*Bookmark this series with the others of the Escapist*

While I agree with both of you, I have to lead towards Kingdom Hearts 3. SE needs to cash in on KH3 (andmaybeFF7Remakecoughcough) just to get that cash flow going. I don't want to hear about SE being in trouble.

For me, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. One of the nastiest trolling a video game company has done to it's consumers.

Episode 3 isn't really a broken promise, just a very scarred over, dehydrated cocktease of a promise.

... But not broken, ohohoho no.

Much better this week. Not quite good yet, but no longer terrible.

Congrats guys. You've taken a show that was borderline not worth watching and managed to make it funny. I'll definitely be back for next week's episode.

Extra points in your favor (and there were several this time):
1) the argument was actually interesting. I may not play either Kingdom Hearts or Half-Life 2 (got bored halfway through 1 and I hate not getting through series from the beginning), but I could definitely see real arguments for both sides as to which was the biggest broken promise. (Also, it was Oni 2).

2) NO JONES SODA! Yay, you guys seemed slightly less like shills! I have no problem with the idea of the soda itself, but it simply does not fit in with the concept of the show. How about milk or juice next time? It's a little harder to drink but it will look awesomely gross whenever either of the guys coughs it up.

3) Funny! The jokes actually worked this time. And yes, you have magically made Italian and Japanese the same accent. Weirdest plausibly racist combination I have ever seen.

Keep it up and I'll keep watchin'.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is the biggest broken promise for me. I still replay the original at least once a year.

I loved every single episode out, keep doing more funny stuff!

I think Kingdom Hearts would be more forgivable if they didnt keep releasing all these games on different platforms. It feels like when it comes out, I'm not even going to know what the story means because I can't own all the different handhelds

Negatempest:
For me, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. One of the nastiest trolling a video game company has done to it's consumers.

I loved that game, but then I've never taken offence to emotional protagonists with long hair (ie every Japanese protagonist ever, and most of the antagonists)

Was placing FFX-2 and Firefly in the background deliberate? Because they both represent broken promises in many ways :D (Even if Firefly isn't a game)

I'm with ya, Chris. But yes, we, the public, are all the losers here.

And hey, this show is my #1 go-to on Thursdays now. Keep being fun, fellas.

One of the better episodes, mainly because of the lack of Jones.

What about beyond good and evil 2? They made a teaser a few years ago but since then there's been no news.

Good lord this show is way to cool! Keep up the good work guys.

First time watcher. Keep the good topics and I shall return! Got to go with Half Life 2 ep 3. Arguing the other company needs money is not enough of an excuse to pull value off the hook.

Goldjit:
*Bookmark this series with the others of the Escapist*

While I agree with both of you, I have to lead towards Kingdom Hearts 3. SE needs to cash in on KH3 (andmaybeFF7Remakecoughcough) just to get that cash flow going. I don't want to hear about SE being in trouble.

SE isn't in any sort of trouble. Besides making Dungeon Siege III his year and the new Deus Ex game, they're the publisher for the Call of Duty games in Asia. Trust me, they're raking in the cash.

I couldn't agree more with both games.
Since I've played Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 with a friend, I've been waiting for any decent information for that but nothing so far.
As for Half-Life 2 Episode 3, well Half-Life 2 is in my opinion the best game ever made and since that damn cliffhanger ending in ep2 I've been waiting for the next one, it's the thing I'm most looking forward to, it's the one thing I really want at the moment. I know it will be released some day, Valve won't just abandon the Half-Life series and its fans and I know that they don't talk about it for a reason(probably because it's Half-Life 3 by now and not episode 3) but the wait is killing me.

Where the fuck is Star Wars Battlefront 3? I don't give a shit that Pandemic studios no longer exist, Lucas Arts can just buy another studio to do it for them. The only Star Wars game that I would ever want to have stealing my money is a current generation Battlefront game for home consoles. Georgey must be spending all their money on pancakes and all you can eat buffets, rendering his studios unable to make good games!

Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming, oh yes its coming. The secret ending in Birth By Sleep pretty much confirmed it. And also regarding Square Enix, they have been doing pretty well recently. FF 13 was good not great but good and when they finally get around to releasing FF Versus 13 they will be on top again.

This isn't even a question.

Squeenix has been releasing KH games. The handheld ones are great, and have been nice tie-ins. So what if they're not on the "correct" console?

Valve has done nothing in the Half-Life universe except another Portal spinoff, when the reduced format of the episodic gaming means that they should have had their next one out in a year or two. Valve "wins" this one, hands down.

kingdom hearts 3, purely thanks to the ending of reCoded. 3 is gonna be awesome if they do it right.

I didn't really care for the format and so forth but I totally agree with the Episode 3 promise. What bs.

Never played Kingdom Hearts and the Half Life 2 episodes never really found as fun as the original game so those don't bug me too much.

Thinking back though, what about Starcraft: Ghost? That third person action game that was going to let us sneak into Protoss and Zerg bases, call in nuke strikes, snipe templars, etc? And instead they canned the whole project and just had the protagonist show up a few times in Starcraft 2.

HL2ep3 originally had an expected release date of 2007. As far as I know, KH3 never got an announced release date. Therefore, HL2ep3 wins on account of being more promised.

I NEED KINGDOM HEARTS 3.

The portable versions simply don't stack up to the awesomeness of the consoles. The first is probably my favorite game ever, the 2nd has this ridiculously epic final boss in like 70,000 stages and you fucking chop BUILDINGS IN HALF DAMMIT. *deep breath*

But yeah. Actually, Birth by Sleep was really good too... although I haven't beaten it yet. (Damn you PSP and needing a new battery thus making me forget about that game). Also, FFXIII Versus looks like it might be Kingdom Hearts esque, so I'll play that too.

KH3?

Really? How bout a KH game that goes forward in the story line, no more prequels...

Screw kingdom hearts. The only thing i want from Square is a new Chrono game. Loved Trigger. Loved Cross (really really loved the OST). They teased us with Chrono Break domain registration, only to let it lapse.

Registering that domain was a promise and square broke it.

kayisking:
Beyond Good and Evil 2 is the biggest broken promise for me. I still replay the original at least once a year.

necromanzer52:
What about beyond good and evil 2? They made a teaser a few years ago but since then there's been no news.

BG&E2 was the first thing I thought of. It is easily more of a broken promise than either game, considering that the first BG&E came out in '03 and that it, too, had an ending that hinted at a continuation of the story.

If I were to choose between the original two choices, I'd go with HL2:E3. Because, yeah, Kingdom Hearts is Square Enix. All they fucking do is make sequels.

In other news, why the hell is my captcha a commercial?

Anezay:
HL2ep3 originally had an expected release date of 2007. As far as I know, KH3 never got an announced release date. Therefore, HL2ep3 wins on account of being more promised.

Ummm... correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Episode 2 released on October 2007 with The Orange Box? I don't remember them promising to release another episodic title in the same year within the next two months. And Valve has repeatedly stated that the Episodic experiment was a failure and that they weren't going to work on any HL episodes in the future. If we do get any more Half Life, it'll be Half Life 3.

Here's to hoping both come out. I played the first kingdom hearts and enjoyed it and love the hl series. Though isn't square enix working on Deus ex 3? Or are they just publishing it? Either way, won't they get some money? Also sqeenix.... I think I remember at from Charles Barkley shut up and jam gaiden. Speaking of which, that is gaming's biggest broken promise. The world needs... may Demands! Part 2 of the hoopz Barkley saga!

Raiyan 1.0:

Anezay:

Ummm... correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Episode 2 released on October 2007 with The Orange Box? I don't remember them promising to release another episodic title in the same year within the next two months. And Valve has repeatedly stated that the Episodic experiment was a failure and that they weren't going to work on any HL episodes in the future. If we do get any more Half Life, it'll be Half Life 3.

When they announced HL2ep1, they announced all three episodes, and gave tentative release seasons for each. HL2ep3 was to be a late '07 release.

Anezay:

Raiyan 1.0:

Anezay:

When they announced HL2ep1, they announced all three episodes, and gave tentative release seasons for each. HL2ep3 was to be a late '07 release.

Oh, silly me then.

But at the same time, silly you for believing in Valve's 'tentative release date'. :P

I didn't believe Valve was going to release Portal 2 this year till I was playing it myself.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here