No Right Answer: Videogame Industry's Biggest Broken Promise

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Raiyan 1.0:

Anezay:

Raiyan 1.0:

Ummm... correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Episode 2 released on October 2007 with The Orange Box? I don't remember them promising to release another episodic title in the same year within the next two months. And Valve has repeatedly stated that the Episodic experiment was a failure and that they weren't going to work on any HL episodes in the future. If we do get any more Half Life, it'll be Half Life 3.

When they announced HL2ep1, they announced all three episodes, and gave tentative release seasons for each. HL2ep3 was to be a late '07 release.

Oh, silly me then.

But at the same time, silly you for believing in Valve's 'tentative release date'. :P

I didn't believe Valve was going to release Portal 2 this year till I was playing it myself.

Indeed. Valve time is a bitch, but it does get some good games made.

Broken promises? As a personal grudge I'd nominate Sega for releasing Episode 1 of Shining Force 3 (3 episode game, all out in Japan) in the USA then never releasing the other 2 to us on any format, leaving all us Shining series loyalists hanging with just 1/3 of the damn game.

Dark Cloud 3.

At first they said that they were going to make it right after they finished the International version of White Knight Chronicles. And then instead of making DC3 they started making White Knight Chronicles 2, at which point they promised they'd make DC3 right after that.

Now they're making White Knight Chronicles 2 International and we've heard no word about Dark Cloud 3.

STOP BREAKING YOUR PROMISES LEVEL FIVE!

Kingdom Hearts and Half-Life don't seem like broken promises to me. Neither company has said "It's coming by (date)" and then said "No wait, we lied, we'll start making it by (date)". As far as I know, Valve has said that Half-Life is still in the works. As for Square-Enix? Those guys can eat a shoe as far as I'm concerned.

episode 3 for sure...

Though I kind of hope they're holding back so that we can get halflife 3 on a new engine, source is good but somewhat aged at this point.

Rayman 4 rayman 4 rayman freaking 4. the 2 and 3 games I played to death when I was younger (I'm only 14)and ever since I beat rayman 3 if been waiting. The first rabbits game was fine I didn't care but other people liked it so whatever. Number 2 really? I had hoped it was just one spinoff game number 3 enter the hate. Then they release a game called rabbits go home(which I heard is good) at which point I started gaining hope again.(if only because the title)
And then came rayman origin ubisoft attempt to jump on the retro bandwagon and here's the catch I hate hate HATE the first game if only because the games unfair 10 times game over you have to start the game again thing ruined my love for rayman and games in general. but he they aren't stupid enough to add that system again. but the game is in development hell and we got another rabbits game .yippie
Come on ubisoft the 3d platformer genre needs all the life it can get there's a new sly cooper game in the make and Nintendo still makes 3d Mario platformers there's still some market. If not think about the fact that in a few years kid who grew up with the play station and Nintendo 64 3d plat formers are going to have disposable income. Although I don't want to wait so long.

say is there a way to delete Comments

I think the one guy lost a point because he reference Squenix going under as thought it were a bad thing. I've loved games by both Square and Enix in the past, but since the merger, their games have been embarrassingly bad and unfun.

Negatempest:
For me, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. One of the nastiest trolling a video game company has done to it's consumers.

Is the main reason you're saying this because of Raiden? Or do you have other issues with the game besides that unexpected switch?

Champions of Norrath 3 or Balder's gate 3

SonicKoala:

Negatempest:
For me, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. One of the nastiest trolling a video game company has done to it's consumers.

Is the main reason you're saying this because of Raiden? Or do you have other issues with the game besides that unexpected switch?

Less to do with being Raiden specifically and more to do with not being Solid Snake. Could you play a game of Half Life without being Freeman the majority of the game? What about playing God of War and only playing as Kratos the 1st 30 min. What about playing Uncharted as some random new guy because Drake got captured after 1 hour of playing the game.

I believe Half Life 2: Episode 3 (Or was it Half-Life 3?) was at E3 2011 if anyone didn't notice. And with how they ended Portal 2, my friends thought is that the two games will converge and we will have Grav Gun and Portal Gun... I can't see it being a broken promise if THEY ARE working on it. Also Squenix is always full of broken promises, because they havn't pushed out a game I liked for years now and they don't know how to make games anymore. I'm sorry guys but I just can't take you seriously at all. You choose topics that not only have been debated before but feel as if they were chosen last second. I WANT AN ACTUAL DEBATE! Also your debates are extremely repetitive.

Rex Dark:
And here's a real broken promise: Dungeon Keeper 3.
There was even a trailer for it in Dungeon Keeper 2.

^^ YES! This! This is something that I would have actually enjoyed. When Lionhead Studios decided to take it over even that didn't work (I'm severely glad they didn't, only Bullfrog has the balls to do it properly). Than years later (recently), Dungeons came out and that was the most god awful creation ever. It had no humor and was a repetitive piece of crap that has you focusing only on a "Dungeon Lord" or whatever. The only thing familiar about it was that it had monsters, a Dungeon Heart, Heroes (who only ever stole your riches which you used as bait to steal their 'life energy' or whatever), Magic, and you were underground (ya, that's it. It gets a 0 for saying it was Dungeon Keeper 3). Most people don't like Nostalgia, but even this had no gameplay value, and the story was shoddy and not worth anyones time (in other words it didn't have one). The only giggle I got was the threats to murder the main character.

Thinking of DK3 makes me anger as you can see.

Too human as a trilogy, or psychonauts 2, just saying...

Negatempest:

SonicKoala:

Negatempest:

Less to do with being Raiden specifically and more to do with not being Solid Snake. Could you play a game of Half Life without being Freeman the majority of the game? What about playing God of War and only playing as Kratos the 1st 30 min. What about playing Uncharted as some random new guy because Drake got captured after 1 hour of playing the game.

I see what you're saying, and it's a fair point to make. It may be because MGS 2 was the first MGS game I ever played (and therefore I had less of a connection to Snake as a character), but I was able to cope with the lack of Snake and just enjoy the game for what it was. It still had MGS 1's enjoyable, stealth-based gameplay and engaging storytelling, two things which more than compensated for the lack of Snake as the main character.

SonicKoala:

Negatempest:

SonicKoala:

I see what you're saying, and it's a fair point to make. It may be because MGS 2 was the first MGS game I ever played (and therefore I had less of a connection to Snake as a character), but I was able to cope with the lack of Snake and just enjoy the game for what it was. It still had MGS 1's enjoyable, stealth-based gameplay and engaging storytelling, two things which more than compensated for the lack of Snake as the main character.

Oh, it was my 3rd, played Metal Gear on the NES, cheesy but fun. Though Metal Gear Solid 3 also did not have solid snake, it was still extremely related to his legacy. That helped keep it from being like MGS2, especially since in MGS2 it was like a tease/troll of using snake on the ps2 until MGS3.

Bioware, Dragon Age 2. When DA:O was released, they promised to keep the Dragon Age games as their oldschool, complex RPG series while Mass Effect was supposed to be their simpler, action-oriented series. That promise sure got broke.

Of those two, edge goes to the episodic content that never came out over an implied but unanounced sequel. It's jsut too natural to drop some sequel bait into things that the list of games this could apply to is way too long.

Between canceld games, vaporware, things that didn't live up to expectations, things that didn't live up to the sales pitch, ect. it's hard to narrow things down. But I think historically the worst offense (without getting personal) would be the cancelation to the Swordquest contest back in the 80s. Yeah, they had their reasons (colapse of the industry and all) but big prizes were offered and shown, yet 3 of the 5 never got the chance to be claimed.

Penny Arcade: On The Rainslick Precipice of Darkness: Episode Three

Goddammit, I don't want to read it on their website, I want to play it! You hear me, Hothead Games? Deathspank is an interesting idea (I've never played it), but I want PA:OTRSPD:E3 now!

OT: I got tired with Kingdom Hearts After the sequel. Honestly, the game ended right there for me. Everybody got their happy endings, and I could have cared less about Roxas.

However, I haven't played any of the Half Life Games (I've got Half Life One wating for me on Gamefly), but HL2: Ep. 3 is the bigger insult of them all. It doesn't need to be Duke Nukem: Forever, and it doesn't need to be delayed. Either do what the authors of Penny Arcade ended up doing and release the last episode as an online book or make the game.

HL2 ep3, Psychonauts 2, EARTHBOUND!!!! Honestly this whole thread is just flat out depressing.

Hooray for the Jones soda not showing up though... One thing though, if it was so important, why didn't you guys hit a supermarket and buy your own damn bottle? Admit it, you guys are just trolling us with this product placement.

Rex Dark:
And here's a real broken promise: Dungeon Keeper 3.
There was even a trailer for it in Dungeon Keeper 2.

Oh god yes! I want that even more than EP3.

shogunblade:
Penny Arcade: On The Rainslick Precipice of Darkness: Episode Three

Goddammit, I don't want to read it on their website, I want to play it! You hear me, Hothead Games? Deathspank is an interesting idea (I've never played it), but I want PA:OTRSPD:E3 now!

This too, they were great games.

I do not want kingdom hearts 3.
Not until Squeenix gets their fucking act together and starts making good games again.

Ok, I like you guys, very funny show and all that, but why the hell do you have the Twilight books on that shelf in the background? Please, please move them. They burn.

As for the biggest broken promise, I am still being disappointed by Fallout: New Vegas DLC. I think my *X-Box 360* (shh...) has just given up trying to play either of the DLCs for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Mine?

KOTOR 3.

Fuck this PC MMO nonsense right in the ass. I've been waiting... how long now?... for an actual *console* RPG to tie up the story of where Revan went and why. (Which, if I'm recalling the things I've heard about the PC game, it won't do either.)

I have to side with Episode 3 guy in that little argument. Hell, Kingdom Hearts guy actually made some points in favor of NOT releasing the game. Death of Square Enix? FUCK YEAH! Maybe we can kill just the development side and they can just stick to publishing good games from other studios they ate. Except Kane and Lynch, that shit needs to stop Square Enix. BTW, that thing you asked if it was a dude or a chick? Totally a dude.

Anyway, enough about that. Can I say Jak 4? I'm going to say Jak 4. We got Jak 1-3, we got that Racing thing, and then randomly we get some PSP game a few years down the line. But Naughty Dog said they were done making full Jak games on PS2 and wanted to wait until PS3 came out (as I recall anyway). Well now it's here and it's been here for 5 years almost and what's this? Uncharted, Uncharted, and more Uncharted?! Uncharted is pretty good, sure, but where the hell is Jak?! Oh, you'd love to do it? Please do it after Uncharted 3, then. We don't really need Uncharted Racing after Uncharted 3 like you did with Crash and Jak in the past.

Kh3 is the one I'm looking out for, but I bet it will be made at some point. Ep3 was promised by valve, and well, If I trust them with my steam account might as well trust them on this. The real outrage is that there will be no Starwars battlefront 3, doubly so because pandemic no longer exists.

I would have to go with the sequel to Advent Rising. It was one of my favorite games for the Xbox, with a great story and very interesting gameplay (I like to call it the Mass Effect before Mass Effect, with better focus on the 'magic' abilities). It ended on a massive cliffhanger as well.

I'd say "Any audible sound that comes out of Peter Molyneux's mouth," but that would be too easy.

Firefilm:
Videogame Industry's Biggest Broken Promise

Chris and Kyle decide who has wronged them more in the videogame industry. Post below or tweet what your choice would be, and we'll list the top 3!

Watch Video

Seriously stop whining and complaining about Half-Life 3. They didn't break a promise because Valve is still making games and you know what? Half-Life 2 wasn't even that good! Give it time and you'll get the game when Valve wants to. Not when you want.

Well done both of you. Excellent points on both sides, however my definition of a gaming broken promise is when a game falls short of fan expectations and the promises made of it. The award for that can only go to Duke Nukem Forever.

I don't exactly have an opinion on Kingdom Hearts, so here's my thoughts on how long Valve's taking with Episode 3:
Valve, we should have this by now. Too much time in development is not good for a game, Duke is proof of that. Now, not to disparage Valve's recent games like the Left 4 Dead series and Portal 2, but I am getting tired of these diversions. While I'm on the topic of diversions, one thing that's gotta stop, or at least get put on hold if Gordon's going to get anywhere is the new TF2 content (not including bug fixes and map exploit fixes).

For me, it's SW: Battlefront 3. They even released epic gameplay footage and then the studio went under (RIP Pandemic :(). These games will at least come out (HL:E3 being HL:3, but whatever).
Also, noticed Firefly in the bookcase. Nice taste!

Jabberwock King:
Where the fuck is Star Wars Battlefront 3?

Where can we picket to get this changed? Screw Kingdom hearts and halflife.

My other choice is vagrant story. It pretty much ended on a to be continued and was far better than the trash Squenix has been knocking out since.

Off Topic: Come on Sega -- Shenmue 3!!! Yakuza is good, but it's no substitution for Shenmue.

On Topic: Another solid episode this week. I kinda miss the Jones soda bit. But the "We don'ta know howa to makea games anymore" line more than made up for it.

Nicolaus99:
Broken promises? As a personal grudge I'd nominate Sega for releasing Episode 1 of Shining Force 3 (3 episode game, all out in Japan) in the USA then never releasing the other 2 to us on any format, leaving all us Shining series loyalists hanging with just 1/3 of the damn game.

Sometimes you have to let go. I loved shining force and shining in the darkness. I played every version that saw UK release... I got a sega CD for my genesis, an old saturn, I went above and beyond to keep the faith. I too was devasstated not to get all of shining force 3 but if you can't make peace with this it will destroy you. We will not see an English language version. With things like psn and XBLA it is the perfect time to release all the shining titles to a fresh audience but not a peep from Sega. Turn based strategy has died a death and no amount of charm or sprawling story can fix that.

I do miss the tinkley noise that the female charecters made when talking. It was like hearing a foreign language with subtitles. If it was made today they would voice act the lot and ruin it.

bjj hero:

Nicolaus99:

Sometimes you have to let go. I loved shining force and shining in the darkness. I played every version that saw UK release... I got a sega CD for my genesis, an old saturn, I went above and beyond to keep the faith. I too was devasstated not to get all of shining force 3 but if you can't make peace with this it will destroy you. We will not see an English language version. With things like psn and XBLA it is the perfect time to release all the shining titles to a fresh audience but not a peep from Sega. Turn based strategy has died a death and no amount of charm or sprawling story can fix that.

I do miss the tinkley noise that the female charecters made when talking. It was like hearing a foreign language with subtitles. If it was made today they would voice act the lot and ruin it.

Aye, but the worst of it is that while things like Shining Force III might be a commercial non entity, Sega does not care enough about us to throw us bone. Maybe release the source code and let fan groups localize it themselves for PC or talk to folks like Good Old Games or similar and sell the downloads. But they'd rather just sit on it forever doing nothing with it because they suck like that.

And yes, the way they changed the tone of the 'beep-beep' speech for each character was just one of those charming details that shows the original developers DID give a sh_t.

Nicolaus99:

Aye, but the worst of it is that while things like Shining Force III might be a commercial non entity, Sega does not care enough about us to throw us bone. Maybe release the source code and let fan groups localize it themselves for PC or talk to folks like Good Old Games or similar and sell the downloads. But they'd rather just sit on it forever doing nothing with it because they suck like that.

And yes, the way they changed the tone of the 'beep-beep' speech for each character was just one of those charming details that shows the original developers DID give a sh_t.

There were so many little touches that oozed charm in that game, the "voices" are just the tip of the iceberg. You got so attatched to you team and the possibilities opened up by having that amount of charecters meant I have lost count of my number of play throughs. I can remember the first time I saw Adams special attack... I keep an eye out on XBLA but I'm really not hopeful. Think I'll be digging out my genesis again now.

Heres hoping I'm proved wrong.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is going to happen, it will. Tetsuya Nomura confirmed it in an interview not long ago. The end of KH3D will have a secret movie with a teaser for 3.

Source.

But I agree with some people that they should hold out while they get their attention off Final Fantasy. In that time they could, oh I don't know, MAKE AN HD REMASTER COLLECTION OF KH 1, 2, AND RE:COM FOR THE PS3. Just think of the money, Squeenix.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here