Escape to the Movies: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II

The long-awaited finale of the tale of the Boy Who Lived.

Watch Video

so its finnaly here and i dont care. for the first time i feel old(in only 14)

I've always felt that the Harry Potter series doesn't have enough sheer quality to uphold it's more dramatic moments. It works as a nice whimsical kid's story using quite a few clichés but it's not very smart or well constructed so I don't like anything past the third one... The movies aren't inherently bad butI just end up disliking them a lot

Harry potter as a movie series hasn't really worked for me... The books can take pages out to cover any and all plot holes and one of the great things about JK Rowling is she actually did that instead of saying "it's magic so shut up". As film series it always seems they're in too big of a hurry and in a couple of movies it shows (order of the phoenix). I will probably see this one if only to justify my harry potter fandom, but if they nix my favorite chapter in lieu of more voldy/harry fight night i will be disappointed.

I'm not a huge fan of the franchise, as I explained in a thread about the film a few minutes ago, but I have to admit this one does look good. Deathly Hallows 7 pt 1 was boring, I thought, so I'm looking forward to this being pretty much an epic battle.

Harry Potter is a good, good movie. Kept reminding me of Return of the King all throughout the movie. That and the constant gasping of 13-year old girls that were sitting....everywhere, kind of dampened the whole experience. Because I wasn't there for the big finale, I had already read the books and I knew what would happen.

Go see it though; worth 11 bucks.

Honestly this could have been a Big Picture episode. Not really much of a review here of the actual movie itself.

But nontheless, I am a Harry Potter fan and I respect the movie franchise.

Powerfully acted, well shot,enough dedication to the source material, and enough talented British stage actors to run their own theater company.

I am sold and I will see it and probably love it.

Well off the the theater!

Since the creation of modern cinema, there has been a movie or series of movies that defined a generation. For George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, it was the Flash Gordon-style movie serials. For my generation it was, you guessed it, Star Wars. Now this generation's 'defining cultural epic' is the Harry Potter films and books. It will be interesting and amusing to see where the next one comes from.

Hopefully, it won't be High School Musical.

:-S

Well, I was already going to watch this anyway, but I always like hearing Bob's opinion first. Now I'm pretty convinced that I won't be disappointed.

Good thing I've read the book, so I don't need to worry about spoilers...

Although, I haven't read the final book in a long time, so I'm still a little confused about the whole "Elder Wand being Harry's" business...

Finally. FINALLY!!
It's been years, and maybe most of us grew up with these movies, but it's finally come to an end.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see how the movie handled the death scenes...the many MANY death scenes I imagine.

I stopped going to see the Harry Potter movies after the fourth one.
I stopped watching them altogether after I got halfway into the fifth on DVD.
I don't like to be a snob or anything, and I know that the series was unfinished at inception, but they left out huge details that they just can't pull back together in my mind.
Plus, all the "My childhood is ending" bullshit that all my friends are spouting just makes me want to take a bat to everyone's head.

Yes, I am a bit mad.

Thank god the series is over. Never before has such a popular book series been so completely bastardized over so many years as Harry Potter has. After the first two movies I saw the whole series go down hill with what amounts to "YOU NEED TO READ THE BOOKS FIRST" almost emblazoned on each frame due to the movie's nonsensicle plot-holes, sudden drop-in characters that appear out of context and the shear frustration of how horrible the films were.

Thank god it's over.

How many Warner Brothers executives are going to unload their company stock after this weekends' box office take?

Thanks for putting the HP movies impact on modern cinema into context. While I feel you might be over-playing the impact just a bit I can't say why so you are probably correct.

Good episode, very informative.

I also have waited to read the series until after I've seen the final book.

Saw it last night at the midnight opening and wasn't disappointed, was pretty much everything I imagined it would be from reading the books, and I so happy that they kept in Molly's awesome line of:

"Stay away from my daughter you BITCH!!!"

There were some scenes where I felt that the movie kinda dropped the ball when they were trying to make some scenes really dramatic. Overall though, I really enjoyed the experience! Really happy I went to the midnight premiere!

Not gonna watch it. I never got the appeal of the Harry Potter movies. I mean, there are book adaptions that expand upon the source material but Harry Potter was never one of those. The movies are just like the books, only less. I have read the books so i don't need to watch the movies.

Going to see it, just to see Snape. Same reason I'v watched every movie thus far. Alan Rickman is gold.

Because I'm awesome I've already been able to see they movie, I say this Wendsday and it was good. If you liked the previous ones you'll like this one. Some things doesn't really make sense but I guess that is to except when you have to slim down everything. Explanations have to take the axe to the face sometimes.

I was a huge fan of the books, and barring personal bias, I was mildly disappointed with the movie. It's the best "big movie" in about the last month (well, all it's really had to compete against was Transformers and Green Lantern), but watching it on the big screen made the parts of the books that didn't work all the more obvious. And they missed the chance to show possibly the best special effects shot in the movie, which really disappointed me. (I'd put it here, but I'm not sure how to do spoiler tags)

And don't worry if you don't catch them right away -- they're all fridge logic moments that I noticed a few months after I read the book.

MB202:
Good thing I've read the book, so I don't need to worry about spoilers...

Although, I haven't read the final book in a long time, so I'm still a little confused about the whole "Elder Wand being Harry's" business...

Dumbledore intended to die undefeated, the Wand's last true master, and its power would have disappeared with it, however, Draco Malfoy disarmed him before he died in the 6th book, so the wand recognized him as the new owner, but then Harry defeats Draco in a duel at Malfoy Manor and takes his wand, which then leaves Harry as the true master. Hope that helped! :-)

Realitycrash:
Going to see it, just to see Snape. Same reason I'v watched every movie thus far. Alan Rickman is gold.

He is by far the best thing with this series, not counting the mindblowingly hot Emma Watson. I think he makes his best in this movie compared to the previous ones, but that might me because his character get some well deserving evolvment.

No there is no reason whatsoever that the Malfoys are able to get away scott free. This is why I still take exception to the super happy ending tacked onto the very end of the book.

PsychedelicDiamond:
Not gonna watch it. I never got the appeal of the Harry Potter movies. I mean, there are book adaptions that expand upon the source material but Harry Potter was never one of those. The movies are just like the books, only less. I have read the books so i don't need to watch the movies.

What are those book adaptions you speak off? I'm intrigued by the concept, but never actually witnessed it.

Part 1 was a big disappointment, so I better enjoy Part 2.

By huge disappointment, I meant it was way too gritty, overenthusiastic with it's use of the rule of thirds, and if you didn't read the books, you were lost in all of it. I had read the books, but still.

So, I should, at the very least be glad that Harry Potter brought new realms of possibility to film-making, then? Well, okay.
Personally, Harry Potter left me very disappointed at the very end because *Spoiler Warning* Harry doesn't die at the end.
I have already donned my flame-retardant hazmat suit, so don't expect a reply from me about this unless you genuinely are curious to know why I think Harry should have died rather than just assume I'm hating on poor Harry and should go jump off a cliff.

Gxas:
I stopped going to see the Harry Potter movies after the fourth one.
I stopped watching them altogether after I got halfway into the fifth on DVD.
I don't like to be a snob or anything, and I know that the series was unfinished at inception, but they left out huge details that they just can't pull back together in my mind.
Plus, all the "My childhood is ending" bullshit that all my friends are spouting just makes me want to take a bat to everyone's head.

Yes, I am a bit mad.

Why be mad about that? Your friends are obviously being hyperbolic. Their childhoods aren't ending but a major series from ther childhood is. While growing up seeing Harry Potter would remind you of when you were much younger and now that there are no more movies to look foward to it can be understandably sad. I mean say if the Legend of Zelda franchise put out it's last game next year I am sure people would be a bit sad. But I'd be annoyed too if your friends literally meant a movie is ending their childhood. It's just a saying.

I'm glad it's over.

After the third film this series started limping like a one-legged walrus. Mainly due to it being the same fucking movie everytime: Harry returns to Hogwarts and discovers an evil plan by Voldemort. No one but Ron and Hermione believe him, but in the end the truth reveals itself and Harry is proven to be correct, only to be disbelieved again in the next movie. Wash, rinse, repeat.

That and the fact that David Yates lacks any form of cinematic vision.

I always felt that Harry Potter movies/books have had some problems missing some "important" plot or some visuals thats not been the WOW it should have been like magic teaching have been missing out a few to many of the stupid things you would do that would been fun/interesting for the audience to see..

OK just realized how hard it is to put my feelings for the series of harry potter in to words but what really impress (and makes me happy) is the fact that the movies kept the cast all through the movies if they hadn't it would not have been the great success it become. But I do not think the actors always been great (several times it just looked awkward or wrong like the person just wouldn't say/do whatever...)

But as so many others I will go see the movie and probably like it to some extent, as all conversions book-> movie it will lack some of the things I imagined while reading the books. And yes I grown up "with" the movies so much of the feelings is due to nostalgia...

I hated that movie. I thought it was utter dogshit. Acting, editing, camerawork, script, special effects, and even some music were wrong. It ruined certain scenes when it changed dialogue which would have been better if left alone. I understand Kloves wants to leave his mark on the movie, but he makes too many wrong decisions.

If ever you say to yourself, "huh?" or "What?" That's never a good sign.

The lakeside dressing scene for camerawork we are treated to Michael Bay circling the characters in a most nauseating manner.
Snape saying the word "E...qually" was the most memorable moment because it was so pronounced and bad. Could not stomach this movie. And I hate those kid actors. Maybe there good by British standards because I see people talking about that, but here in the states, you can't get away with that garbage.

I've never actually gone to theaters to see one of the movies, but I may actually do it. I am a rare oddity in that Harry Potter, while a cultural phenomenon, has never done it for me. That said, it's funny how many people are mad over these movies.

Saw the midnight premiere with all my friends, wands in hand. It was a satisfying ending, and stayed true enough to the books (even if they did glaze over some minor details).

I'm just gonna leave this here. Best part of the HP movies.

I just hope its good. I haven't really enjoyed any of them since the third one to be honest. Having read the books, I found the fourth one to be insulting when they changed important aspects of it. Then the fifth and sixth ones were just pretty boring (especially the sixth, where they so obviously cut the epic fight scene at the end). The first part of Deathly Hallows was so overwhelming disappointing (and boring) that I was actually angry as I walked out of the theater. And I've never been angry at Harry Potter. So, to be honest, my expectations for this one are kind of low ... but hey, that might actually help me enjoy it more, since I'm not expecting anything. I just really want to like it, considering its the end of the series (I mean really, I can't believe the first movie was ten years ago, when I was just turning eleven, much like Harry was at the time. Or the fact that I first started reading these books when I was just eight. That was so long ago!). I just hope they do it a justice and end it right.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here