Escape to the Movies: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I stopped watching them after the third film.

My sister had the fourth one on the other day. (She was watching all the films leading up to this one.) So I sat through it and watched the thing.

I'm certainly not going to bother catching up with the rest or see this one.

If they're on TV at somepoint and there's nothing else on I might catch them. I just think Rowling has to take the cake for most undeserved megggggga success ever though.

Nautical Honors Society:

Gxas:
I stopped going to see the Harry Potter movies after the fourth one.
I stopped watching them altogether after I got halfway into the fifth on DVD.
I don't like to be a snob or anything, and I know that the series was unfinished at inception, but they left out huge details that they just can't pull back together in my mind.
Plus, all the "My childhood is ending" bullshit that all my friends are spouting just makes me want to take a bat to everyone's head.

Yes, I am a bit mad.

Why be mad about that? Your friends are obviously being hyperbolic. Their childhoods aren't ending but a major series from ther childhood is. While growing up seeing Harry Potter would remind you of when you were much younger and now that there are no more movies to look foward to it can be understandably sad. I mean say if the Legend of Zelda franchise put out it's last game next year I am sure people would be a bit sad. But I'd be annoyed too if your friends literally meant a movie is ending their childhood. It's just a saying.

It's more the whole bundle. The movies are awful through my eyes and I've never been (nor will I ever be) able to see how people get so excited for them. When I think Harry Potter movies, direct comparisons in my mind are Hulk and Eragon. Sure, the Potter films did a bit better, but they still butchered the original story they were made to tell, which, frankly, is a sin by my standards.

Sorry bob but the LoTRO trilogy owes no thanks to the harry potter movies in any way shape or form.

MovieBob:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II

The long-awaited finale of the tale of the Boy Who Lived.

Watch Video

Hey Bob what did you think of the acting? I heard Alan Rickman did a fantastic job.

GartarkMusik:

MB202:
Good thing I've read the book, so I don't need to worry about spoilers...

Although, I haven't read the final book in a long time, so I'm still a little confused about the whole "Elder Wand being Harry's" business...

Dumbledore intended to die undefeated, the Wand's last true master, and its power would have disappeared with it, however, Draco Malfoy disarmed him before he died in the 6th book, so the wand recognized him as the new owner, but then Harry defeats Draco in a duel at Malfoy Manor and takes his wand, which then leaves Harry as the true master. Hope that helped! :-)

OH, okay, thanks a lot!

I saw a midnight viewing of the movie, and hell, it was good. It's the end of an epic franchise that has pretty much defined a generation. The whole thing is finally coming to a close, most of the loose ends are tied up, and it all ends. I was young when I saw the first Harry Potter and read the Harry Potter books. To see it all end is pretty much like seeing a part of my childhood fly away. Whether or not you really like the books or movies, nobody can deny Harry Potter's impact on the world.

SonofSeth:

PsychedelicDiamond:
Not gonna watch it. I never got the appeal of the Harry Potter movies. I mean, there are book adaptions that expand upon the source material but Harry Potter was never one of those. The movies are just like the books, only less. I have read the books so i don't need to watch the movies.

What are those book adaptions you speak off? I'm intrigued by the concept, but never actually witnessed it.

There are some rather famous ones. you know, Star Wars. Jaws. A Clockwork Orange. 2001: A Space Odyssey. The Shining. Did you know these were based on books? No? Well, that's what im talking about. ^^

Darth Sea Bass:
Sorry bob but the LoTRO trilogy owes no thanks to the harry potter movies in any way shape or form.

Yeah, I didn't really get that either.

Both the LotR movies and the first 3 Harry Potter movies were made practically on the same time schedule. So how exactly did the Harry Potter movies pave the road for LotR?

Nice review there, Grumbledor.

Gxas:

Nautical Honors Society:

Gxas:
I stopped going to see the Harry Potter movies after the fourth one.
I stopped watching them altogether after I got halfway into the fifth on DVD.
I don't like to be a snob or anything, and I know that the series was unfinished at inception, but they left out huge details that they just can't pull back together in my mind.
Plus, all the "My childhood is ending" bullshit that all my friends are spouting just makes me want to take a bat to everyone's head.

Yes, I am a bit mad.

Why be mad about that? Your friends are obviously being hyperbolic. Their childhoods aren't ending but a major series from ther childhood is. While growing up seeing Harry Potter would remind you of when you were much younger and now that there are no more movies to look foward to it can be understandably sad. I mean say if the Legend of Zelda franchise put out it's last game next year I am sure people would be a bit sad. But I'd be annoyed too if your friends literally meant a movie is ending their childhood. It's just a saying.

It's more the whole bundle. The movies are awful through my eyes and I've never been (nor will I ever be) able to see how people get so excited for them. When I think Harry Potter movies, direct comparisons in my mind are Hulk and Eragon. Sure, the Potter films did a bit better, but they still butchered the original story they were made to tell, which, frankly, is a sin by my standards.

I am a huge fan of the books and I disagree. They are movie adaptions and shouldn't be exactly the same as the source material. Also each movie was well shot and well acted. Do you know how many fantastic and acclaimed British stage actors are in this series? Even of youre not a fan of the movies they are well done and do the series justice in my opinion.

Nautical Honors Society:

Gxas:

Nautical Honors Society:

I am a huge fan of the books and I disagree. They are movie adaptions and shouldn't be exactly the same as the source material. Also each movie was well shot and well acted. Do you know how many fantastic and acclaimed British stage actors are in this series? Even of youre not a fan of the movies they are well done and do the series justice in my opinion.

Production-wise, yeah. They are awesome. And I'm not saying that they should be the exact same as the source material (though, I would definitely sit through a seven hour movie if they did that), I'm just saying that you can't leave out huge, important chunks of the story, and then expect to be able to patch it back together when you realize you made a plot hole by cutting a character or a scene.

Read the books! If you don't then you miss out on some many things that make the Potterverse amazing. As for the Malfoys, the main reason I think they get a pass is because of all the Harry/Draco pairings.

I liked seeing emma-watson-cleavage in the undressing scene. I enjoyed it alot.

Anytime I see a movie based on a book, I think of it as more of an aid, then something that should be able to stand alone. I went and saw it last night and I have to say it didn't disappoint me. It's like how reading Game of Thrones helps you understand the series.

rayen020:
Harry potter as a movie series hasn't really worked for me... The books can take pages out to cover any and all plot holes and one of the great things about JK Rowling is she actually did that instead of saying "it's magic so shut up". As film series it always seems they're in too big of a hurry and in a couple of movies it shows (order of the phoenix). I will probably see this one if only to justify my harry potter fandom, but if they nix my favorite chapter in lieu of more voldy/harry fight night i will be disappointed.

Im taking it your favourite chapter is the Kings Cross one ? Or Snapes memories one ? The latter is my favourite. I wont forgive the filmmakers if they missed out both or just one.

themilo504:
so its finnaly here and i dont care. for the first time i feel old(in only 14)

LOL i just did the math, and I got into Harry Potter in first, or second grade, so I was 6ish, I am now 20...that's 13 or 14 years. Good job kid, you have made me feel old lol.

OT. It kind of seems alike a safe review from moviebob. After his raveish review of the first part, in which he makes the claim that if this movie did its job nods and Oscars would be coming it's way. One would think he would either fawn over it, or bash it for lost potential, but he just kind of floats between summarizing the movie, and commenting on the grand undertaking that the movies were (GOD its weird using past tense). I'm probably just being sensitive.

Yeah there didn't seem to be much review. As other people said earlier, this was almost a "Big Picture," look at the franchise as a whole and less about the actual movie.

The things that were said, like details being left out, are known quantities that one should expect before walking into the movies. I think the movies by themselves are very difficult to follow without having read the book or having someone else who read them nearby to explain a few things to you.

I'll probably like it, less than the books but that's expected.

I certainly felt that way about the ending in the book, it seemed as soon as the battle ended, so did the franchise. Very little wrap-ups, goodbyes, or questions answered. In here it ends in the exact same fashion, but I really like the way they handled the epilogue because

Heh, two things in that movie got applause from the audience in my theater

and

Well, other than the credits-rolling applause.

Mischlings:
I was a huge fan of the books, and barring personal bias, I was mildly disappointed with the movie. It's the best "big movie" in about the last month (well, all it's really had to compete against was Transformers and Green Lantern), but watching it on the big screen made the parts of the books that didn't work all the more obvious. And they missed the chance to show possibly the best special effects shot in the movie, which really disappointed me. (I'd put it here, but I'm not sure how to do spoiler tags)

And don't worry if you don't catch them right away -- they're all fridge logic moments that I noticed a few months after I read the book.

You don't need to go into detail (I can't do spoiler tags either), but would the shot you're talking about have involved fire and a hat? If not, you're free to ignore me, I'm just really curious.

As for Bob's review, I just wanted to say that I can understand him being confused in regards to reveals of Dumbledore and Snape's backstories, but that was the point. You don't learn anything about Dumbledore's family history until Harry starts reading Rita Skeeter's book and then meets Aberforth. (It's just further knocking people off of pedestals - by death or douchebaggery - so Harry can grow into his own.) The movie dropped the ball a bit in regard to Dumbledore's story, but it's not like these were things that could or should have been in any film pre-DH.

And Snape's backstory isn't revealed in it's entirety until you-know-what happens. They were both meant to be reveals; Snape being the biggest, as far as I'm concerned. I think they did Snape's backstory beautifully and that was really the only thing I was worried about.

TheNaut131:
I'm just gonna leave this here. Best part of the HP movies.

*Neville image snip*

Seconded.

Oh, I see Harry's still alive. That's cool, I guess. I mean, I was ready to deal with Voldemort myself, but, you know. Whatever's good for you.

Wanker.

road_to_dawn:

Mischlings:
I was a huge fan of the books, and barring personal bias, I was mildly disappointed with the movie. It's the best "big movie" in about the last month (well, all it's really had to compete against was Transformers and Green Lantern), but watching it on the big screen made the parts of the books that didn't work all the more obvious. And they missed the chance to show possibly the best special effects shot in the movie, which really disappointed me. (I'd put it here, but I'm not sure how to do spoiler tags)

And don't worry if you don't catch them right away -- they're all fridge logic moments that I noticed a few months after I read the book.

You don't need to go into detail (I can't do spoiler tags either), but would the shot you're talking about have involved fire and a hat? If not, you're free to ignore me, I'm just really curious.

Yes, it did. For those who still might not be clear on it, in the book,

Captcha was "The Holy Grail of Pants". What?

Well that was great and all Bob, but I was kinda hoping for a review of the actual movie at6 hand rather than a retrospective of the significance of Harry Potter fandom to modern Hollywood with about 30 seconds at the end for you to say 'So yeah part 2 was quite good'.

I suppose you have a point though. You could've ranted on this film with Transformers or Expendables levels of rage and I'd still be planning to go see it, with my fake glasses and painted on scar the embarrassing fanboy I am.

Rusman:
Saw it last night at the midnight opening and wasn't disappointed, was pretty much everything I imagined it would be from reading the books, and I so happy that they kept in Molly's awesome line of:

"Stay away from my daughter you BITCH!!!"

Seeing Julie Walters and Helena Bonham Carter have the mother of all cat fights on the big screen is a good enough reason to see this movie, Harry Potter fan or not.

Yeah, for the perspective of a fan of the books and not a fan of the movies, go check out my review (shameless plug)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.300718-The-Guitarist-Reviews-Harry-Potter-Year-7#11980220

It's on the Escapist Review section, so promoting it is a-okay!

My basic points of contention for these movies are:

Emma Watson is not a good actress
Starting with the third movie, if you haven't read the books you will known progressively less and less important stuff
The directors for most of these movies are idiots
When the directors aren't idiots, the scriptwriters are.

Steve Kloves can suck a big one.

Diegolomac:
Well, I was already going to watch this anyway, but I always like hearing Bob's opinion first. Now I'm pretty convinced that I won't be disappointed.

This pretty much sums up my feelings exactly, well put sir =]

But I always expected them to put more emphasis on the battles on this one then the last book did, and I can definitely see people that have just read the films being confuzzled by the sudden revelations about the Dumbledore clan, but all in all, I'm rather excited about this film =]

brinvixen:
I just hope its good. I haven't really enjoyed any of them since the third one to be honest. Having read the books, I found the fourth one to be insulting when they changed important aspects of it.

Because the third one totally didn't lack an important conversation that explains who four mysterious characters actually are and why they are important towards the end. The fourth film cut some secondary plotlines, but they didn't take out anything that was important for the overall plot of the series, as far as I remember.

Well, I'm probably going to watch this next week with my friends, hopefully I won't be disappointed. I found the previous film to be one of the most faithful to the book.

Oh, and I did that thing Bob said with the Dark Knight Rises poster and... Wow... Just Wow... The revelations...

Mischlings:

road_to_dawn:

Mischlings:

Yes, it did. For those who still might not be clear on it, in the book,

Captcha was "The Holy Grail of Pants". What?

I don't get why they didn't do that either. The only thing I can think is the fact that the film is rated PG-13 and that probably wouldn't have gone over well. I don't know. But I completely agree with you. Plus, I must admit that

Abandon4093:
I stopped watching them after the third film.

My sister had the fourth one on the other day. (She was watching all the films leading up to this one.) So I sat through it and watched the thing.

I'm certainly not going to bother catching up with the rest or see this one.

If they're on TV at somepoint and there's nothing else on I might catch them. I just think Rowling has to take the cake for most undeserved megggggga success ever though.

Stephanie Meyer begs to differ.

I know that there's a lot of argument to be made for either side of this, but really I think Stephen King summed it up pretty well:

'The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a damn. She's not very good.'

Also, JK has very little to do with the films, so you can't blame her for those.

Saw it today v.early, I thoroughly disliked it.
I'm a fan, books and films alike,, but this one is just one Massive third-act, which makes for an unenjoyable experience.. (It seems that its going into Michael Bay territory :s )

So who wants to bet we're going to get some movie exclusive prequels or spin offs or something?

JaredXE:
Thank god the series is over. Never before has such a popular book series been so completely bastardized over so many years as Harry Potter has. After the first two movies I saw the whole series go down hill with what amounts to "YOU NEED TO READ THE BOOKS FIRST" almost emblazoned on each frame due to the movie's nonsensicle plot-holes, sudden drop-in characters that appear out of context and the shear frustration of how horrible the films were.

Thank god it's over.

As someone whose read the book, that doesn't bother me in the least. Besides, the books are better anyways.

OT: Ya, seeing this movie or not is pretty much a foregone conclusion for most of us. I'll probably see it some time this week or so.

normalguycap:

The lakeside dressing scene for camerawork we are treated to Michael Bay circling the characters in a most nauseating manner....
And I hate those kid actors. Maybe there good by British standards because I see people talking about that, but here in the states, you can't get away with that garbage.

Um, you do realize Michael Bay is American and wouldn't recognize good acting if it slapped him in the face? And those "kids" are now in their early/mid 20's. Also, YOU LEAVE EMMA ALONE!!!

I read all the books, and they're fun reads. Not my favorite books of all time, but definitely worth the read, even with some of them being quite long. The movies got better around Goblet of Fire and from then on have been really good, Deathly Hallows Part 1 actually being my favorite so far. Can't wait to see this movie, although I'm not anticipating it enough to have been one of the people who saw it midnight release. And there were a lot of them.

I got my tickets for Sunday cant wait have to say every time I have watched the trailer it has given me goose nipples!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here