Jimquisition: Two Rules For Square Enix

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

PixelKing:
The way he said right was funny for some reason, if you watched the vid you know which part.
OT: Does anyone really care about SE at this point?

Very sadly, yes, loads. The same people that will ignore all the glaring issues in FF13 and 14, including all the content that was outright pulled from the game. Either because of time constraints in the case of 13(which is funny considering it's dev time), or kneejerk reactions to speculation like in 14.(Removing mail/auction systems to 'stop' goldsellers.)

Even despite the past two FF's being major clusterfucks, there is still a very vocal legion of people waiting for Versus 13 to make everything all better, despite it being headed by Nomura, who took the Kingdom Hearts series down the toilet when given full control over it.

Personally I started to lose hope in SE years ago, but only until FF14 did I give up all hope and just say fuck it. I was one of the people that really enjoyed FF11, even with it's horrible grind. I hoped 14 would fix that aspect and make things better, and once I got into the beta I learned I was very, very, horribly wrong.

There are some good points but again, the delivery is more grating than funny.

I know Jim has some interesting things to say about gaming but frequently it gets lost amongst the noise he produces as 'JIM' instead of the writing/sharp/interesting person involved in the industry.

AgentBJ09:

Antwerp Caveman:
Yes, it's the first 3 rules. His show breaks all of them.

So does Yahtzee, on a regular basis no less, so your argument is invalid.

How is it invalid?
Because there's two shows on this site that prove a double-standard exists, it's suddenly not a double-standard?

I'll have to become an attorney and try that one out in court:
"Well you see your honor, my client is innocent because another person was guilty of the same crime."

VGStrife:
Am i the only one who thought it was pronounced eeeeenix rather than (en)ix?

Also what game are they currently working on that is in the way of FFVXIII/KH3 so i can destroy it.

No I'm right with you on the pronunciation.

Killing Jim over and over again? Thats going to make the game very popular among detractors with no sense of the value of a dollar.

Atmos Duality:
How is it invalid?
Because there's two shows on this site that prove a double-standard exists, it's suddenly not a double-standard?

It boils down to opinion, but the basis for saying he should go has to work both ways. You don't like Jim because he "breaks the rules"? So does Yahtzee, yet both are contracted by this site.

Also, those rules he brought up are for the forums and User Groups, not the video producers. If you want to start applying those rules to Jim, they have to apply to everyone else who makes videos here, including Yahtzee, meaning the sexual imagery and flaming talk in many of his videos and columns would get him booted as well.

Jennacide:

PixelKing:
The way he said right was funny for some reason, if you watched the vid you know which part.

Very sadly, yes, loads. The same people that will ignore all the glaring issues in FF13 and 14, including all the content that was outright pulled from the game.

Well, if you, like me, are perfectly content pretending FF XI & XIV never happened, the only FF left whose errors you need to skirt around is FF XIII (and granted, there is lots of skirting needed). Now, given that FF XII was marvellous, it's not really that much of a stretch to still hold out hope that either Versus-XIII, XIII-2 or eventually XV will be good.

PixelKing:

You'd think that would be the case, and yet I'm STILL getting quoted for a troll post I did a week ago because the JRPG fanboys rolled in and couldn't take a joke.

OT: I completely agree. With the popularity of threads about SE last week and the news of FFvsXIII, it's good to know others are tired of them as well.

Love the Father Ted reference, Jim.

orangeapples:

VGStrife:

Also what game are they currently working on that is in the way of FFVXIII/KH3 so i can destroy it.

Final Fantasy XIII-2

No offense to fans of 13, but i really REALLY think they should just stop making the sequel and just divert the resources to Versus 13. Cause hey, atleast Versus is trying SOMETHING new with it's lead protagonists personality. The game, while certainly better then 12, was just...boring. The fact that they have Rosh Penin as one of the main characters (Seriously, listen to the voice in that one gameplay footage thing and TELL me it doesn't sound like Rosh)...if you don't know who Rosh is, I truly envy you. As a result, the sequel to 13 isn't really making itself look too good in my eyes.

So yeah, less 13-2 and more Versus 13...then you can make Kingdom Hearts 3!

Jonny49:
I think Square Enix has more problems than that.

yeah but i don't think he is allowed to do a 2531 hour show

DigitalAtlas:

PixelKing:

You'd think that would be the case, and yet I'm STILL getting quoted for a troll post I did a week ago because the JRPG fanboys rolled in and couldn't take a joke.

OT: I completely agree. With the popularity of threads about SE last week and the news of FFvsXIII, it's good to know others are tired of them as well.

You don't troll JRPG's unless you want a legion at your house, I got the same reaction to my response to Osama Bin Ladens death which is much grander on the scale. Although in latest posts there was a thread named 'JRGPS SUCK' so some people agree that JRPGS are wastes of time and effort.

AgentBJ09:

It boils down to opinion, but the basis for saying he should go has to work both ways. You don't like Jim because he "breaks the rules"? So does Yahtzee, yet both are contracted by this site.

Boils down to OPINION?
Absolutely not!

When you establish RULES, you are establishing an OBJECTIVE code of behavior with the intention of enforcing a set of principles (in this case, a more orderly, polite online community).
Either you follow them, or you don't. There is no opinion involved.

Simply put: A double-standard contradicts the purpose of a rule in the first place.
What's the point of making rules if you don't believe in them?

Sylocat:
And once again, Jim Sterling takes five minutes to say something that much better game critics than him have made in ten seconds as little asides in their videos, and dresses it up with this insufferable Giant Ego Persona™ that has ALSO been done much better elsewhere.

It's sad that The Escapist has become so desperate for pageviews that they're willing to bend over backwards to pander to the misogynistic retard demographic, which has been a negative influence on gaming culture since forever. Remember when this site was devoted to actual constructive discussion about gaming and gaming culture? Those days are long gone.

This might have been (somewhat) tolerable if he ever actually said anything that wasn't copy-pasted from other critics more witty and insightful than him, or if his schtick was actually funny.

It's people like Jim Sterling that are helping prevent gaming from being taken seriously as an art form.

Don't you think it's the games and people who make games that would stop it from being taken seriously as an art form rather than a guy who's only known within the video game community and probably doesn't really have an identity that can be exploited that easily?

I seriously loved how you said all those words it's just as arrogant and egocentric as Jim himself.

How about this for a rule for Square Enix;
Announce as many titles as you like just go back to making good games! Go back to the point where everybody can depend upon the next Final Fantasy rocking their worlds, yes story and graphics are important to a JRPG but so is gameplay and the world that we are asked to explore and if you leave both feeling empty and shallow whats the point. Bottom line, you make games and despite some recent disapointments you make very good games in my opinion, go back to making great, rich and deep games or become a film studio.

I just wish Square Enix worked on more handheld games instead. I have no problem with Square Enix working on an HD title, but we should at least get a decent title while we're waiting for it.

Mister Linton:
Better solution for SEs problem: Liquidate that pos company and stop making games all together. The game designers can get jobs at Burger King where they will be successful and not painful failures.

Most of their games receive great sales and receive critical acclaim.

"They're painful failures"

Holy shit, this post almost gave me a aneurysm.

Jennacide:

PixelKing:

Very sadly, yes, loads. The same people that will ignore all the glaring issues in FF13 and 14, including all the content that was outright pulled from the game. Either because of time constraints in the case of 13(which is funny considering it's dev time), or kneejerk reactions to speculation like in 14.(Removing mail/auction systems to 'stop' goldsellers.)

Even despite the past two FF's being major clusterfucks, there is still a very vocal legion of people waiting for Versus 13 to make everything all better, despite it being headed by Nomura, who took the Kingdom Hearts series down the toilet when given full control over it.

Personally I started to lose hope in SE years ago, but only until FF14 did I give up all hope and just say fuck it. I was one of the people that really enjoyed FF11, even with it's horrible grind. I hoped 14 would fix that aspect and make things better, and once I got into the beta I learned I was very, very, horribly wrong.

If I recall correctly, Final Fantasy XI was a mediocre game in the beginning as well. Judging an MMO on firsthand experience, out of all games, is foolish, especially when the new team is much smarter and actually listens to customer complaints.

Jim is a supremely annoying person, but he does make a lot of good points. Square Enix really does need to restrain itself. Although, I'm uncertain about whether or not he actually knows the extent of what goes on at the studio.

The way he presents his material makes me wonder if he isn't just going on a huge rant about what he knows by ear, not by research.

Square Enix seems to be fixing itself a little though since XIII-2 will be out in less than half a year. Versus XIII needs to get up and running. Lucasarts and Square seem to be acting similarly. Battlefront III still has yet to be released and was announced in 2006.

lisa foils suddenly ends, daily drops gone.....yet this crap stays...........fail

VGStrife:

FFXIV for PS3. FFvsXIII. KH:DDD. KHIII. FFXIII-2. FF Type-0. Dead Island. Chocobo Racing 3DS. FFVII remake that they keep hinting at. Quite a few more titles, actually. Check their wiki. That isn't counting Eidos Titles, btw.

PixelKing:

DigitalAtlas:

PixelKing:

You don't troll JRPG's unless you want a legion at your house, I got the same reaction to my response to Osama Bin Ladens death which is much grander on the scale. Although in latest posts there was a thread named 'JRGPS SUCK' so some people agree that JRPGS are wastes of time and effort.

I'm still expecting them to show up at my house and throw burning copies of ME2 and Fallout 3 through my window...

Also note: NEVER quote Anthony Burch's Fun Isn't Enough video without a thousand purists quoting you 90 times each. Isn't pretty. Every post used the word 'gamer' in a stereotypical way, too.

goddamnit! this guy makes me so confused! he's got such good points to make but i just can't watch him for more than a minute or so because he's just a fucking dickhead!
a tip for YOU jim sterling: ass-hole + insightful + funny, that's a winning combination, but just insightful with no funny, that's not enough for you get away with being a complete ponce.

Atmos Duality:
-Referenced-

You didn't read the entire post, did you?

AgentBJ09:

Also, those rules he brought up are for the forums and User Groups, not the video producers. If you want to start applying those rules to Jim, they have to apply to everyone else who makes videos here, including Yahtzee, meaning the sexual imagery and flaming talk in many of his videos and columns would get him booted as well.

Read it again, and then state your points because I specifically pointed out whom those rules were for: Those of us who use the forums, not those folks who produce videos. They can do more than we can, so they don't follow the same rules we forum users do, but they still have some in place either way.

The fact that Jim doesn't bash JRPGs for being JRPGs and that he didn't whine about FFXIII in the slightest raises my respect for him above my respect for Yahtzee now.

Thank God, for Jim.

AgentBJ09:

Antwerp Caveman:
Yes, it's the first 3 rules. His show breaks all of them.

So does Yahtzee, on a regular basis no less, so your argument is invalid.

IMO Yahtzee is actually funny and insightful on his critiques to games, unlike Sterling.

I am tired of being booted in the ass by SquareEnix, and have been attempting to boycott their games since DQ9. However they keep sneaking games in on me that don't feature characters with spikey purple hair, so it flies under my radar. Just Cause 2 being a good example.

Anyway, at least on the JRPG front they've already lost me. I didn't hate FFXII as much as all the squalor when it came out, but it only had 2 features I enjoyed, and both got old quickly enough.
I. Fang. I then learned via the Escapist Podcast that she was originally a male character (makes sense). And her part in the story was minute. So there's not too much to really enjoy. It's like trying to like Vincent in FF7 - he never did anything. He had more screen-time in Advent Children than he did in the entire 50+ hour game.

II. The combat system. When you realize the potential for quickchanging your job class mid-attack, it's pretty wild. It gets considerably less wild when you realize there are only 2 or 3 worthwhile combinations and it returns to repetition.

They have made games that have surpassed the FF series in quality, but they are few and far between, and I'm not holding my breath for any more in the near future. Especially since they seem to have given up making new IP in lieu of just creating more games with the FF or DQ logos branded into the box to ensure sales. I was quite surprised a week or so ago when Jimquisition talked about 2 I'd never heard of.

Thank God for that.

AgentBJ09:

Atmos Duality:
-Referenced-

You didn't read the entire post, did you?

I did.
If you want to prove something, try to disprove their hypocrisy; disprove the contradiction in their alleged principles.

Read it again, and then state your points because I specifically pointed out whom those rules were for...

This is a system where the alleged PROFESSIONALS are allowed (and encouraged) to act like petulant children for our entertainment. Fine. I see that everywhere online.
Yet, the audience (who is encouraged to respond) is punished for doing the same.

Now, you claim the separation of rules justifies that.
Why? What principle gives them the right to insult me without me being allowed to insult them right back?
Nothing. There is no actual argument there. Just a tangential statement with no justification.

And you want me to just accept that as "proof"? What nonsense.

All told, I wouldn't even care if these shows were just ribbing at the audience (good comedians can do that; work it into their act) on occasion, and usually they are. But there are occasions where they cross the line into genuine scorn for their audience, and for a professional journalist/entertainer, that's just unacceptable.
You *never* make things personal.

It's a double standard and that's it. I deal with it, but that doesn't mean I don't pretend it's not there.

Still, if you truly believe that it's justified, then you are beyond any rational reasoning, and there is no point in me wasting more time on the matter.

Another "controversial" opinion from the Jimquisition. Next week: Is the sky blue? Answers from the man who knows what color everything is.

New Rules? When did Bill Maher become a British version of MovieBob?!
There. Now no one can say that no one said that which didn't really need to be said before someone says it with a modicum of sincerity.

Square-Enix ought to be required to cross-over Death By Cube with The Blocks Cometh just so Jim Sterling can be a playable character in a blood soaked blockbuster game.

That would be the most sensible thing that they have done in years!

mrc390:
You only need one rule
Stop making shitty games

You, sir, just won the thread. I could not agree with you any more.

Another rule: if you create a fantasy society, give them actual societal differences in morals, hierarchy, whatever. You're not allowed to just keep making completely normal civilizations, only everyone has a wacky haircut and watches water football.

The following is more of a begrudgement than agreeing or disagreeing about Squeenix. If I have gone too far, Mods. Please inform me and I will personally remove my post from the thread.

While the topic about Squeenix was sound, I still have a very hard time watching Jimquisition because of its presentation. If Jim replaced all shots of himself as a nazi preacher with himself sitting next to a fireplace, or pictures to display how he feels like shown in other Escapist programming, or even pictures of puppies playing in the grass for all I care, and he stopped slapping assholes and penises all over the place like a teenager fresh out of school, I could at least stomach the program better than I have. As it is, no matter how I feel about Squeenix, no matter if I agree, I have an overwhelming urge to disagree with what Jim says.

I don't care because I'm not a FF fanboy unfortunately, but if they fuck up KH3, Square Enix better expect a lot of shit going down at all their offices.

haha, Squeenix....

I realize that it's about Square's tendency to announce games that won't be out untill I turn 25, or older, but seriously, a game trailer with no gameplay is acceptable but after waiting and knowing about said game for 5 years and expecting to see a new drive/battle/way of killing system and see a trailer with NO gameplay is annoying. If Squeenix wants to get me on the FF bandwagon, show some gameplay and alot of it.

So, no rule about pulling Final Fantasy XIII off the shelves, burning the unsold CDs, running a permanent delete of all of the source code, and informing the computer gaming public that FFXIII never existed and that any memory we may have of it is just a figment of our collective delusions?

For the record I thought it was an okay game but I'm surprised not to see any direct mention of it here.

This video came off more as a rant than a serious meditation on the gaming industry; certainly so, because it was just Sterling picking on a company's practices without making bare concessions on his aggression, or his solution on the same note. If at any point he said, "Square Enix probably behaves this way because of (I, the writer, here would assume marketing tactics)" or "These amendments might have some problems down the road such as (I, again, assume the discouragement of hype; indeed, sweet, delicious hype, vehicle of the yonder gods) but overall it works out because I'm awesome [This is acceptable]" I would have respected his argument slightly more than I do now. As it stands, I can't find any reason to believe that I'm listening to a reasonable, intelligent person. Instead it seems that I've found another obnoxious internet troll with an interesting background choice and a podium.

I get that his shtick is being a dick, and I would accept such being if it was creative in any way. But it isn't. Yahtzee, who gets compared to Sterling, has several things going on in his show: he writes a proper introduction to segue into the review, he writes several jokes on the game, he analyzes the game in a specific manner (those consisting of the peculiarities in the game that stand out to him), and he ends the review on an often comedic note. That, of course, takes creativity; it's standard writing practice every critic does when they make reviews. I might not respect Yahtzee's opinion, but I respect his professionalism on the basis of the time in which it took for him to summarize his opinions on the topic. Sterling, sir, you are somehow exempt from this; or, rather, the finer details of your work somehow evades me; or, they're nonexistent. How do I know your credibility during the course of your show when it seems the work you've done consists of waking up and thinking? On your absolute righteousness? When were you dependent on a points system only divinities such as Anubis or Dagon have subsisted on?--faith, as the english speakers call it. I don't hate you Mr. Sterling--both hemipsheres of your brain seem to be in order--a great natural feat--and intelligent, perhaps greatly if my doubts subside--but I hate your show. I hate its premise, and I hate its tolerances, which often only permits small nitpicky subjects and disallows massive subjects that do require attention; this being akin to the Inquisition, where pettiness thrives and the greater weight of morality is constantly fleeting. Anyway, there is a greater chance I'll watch the next installment, but I had to let my continued disappointment known lest it worries me.

Why'd you keep asking me to thank God for you? Do it yourself you lazy git...

But yeah, Square Enix does have a case of the announcement diarrhoea. Maybe they're playing stock value though. Every game announcement bounces up their company value a bit. And they still follow through... eventually... so it still works every time.

Jim's a character in a videogame! :O

And the character's "speed" was... one. Ohhh, poor Jim. Your sarcastic, forced laughter echoes with your fans. :3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here