Jimquisition: Two Rules For Square Enix

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

MatsVS:

I consider my youthful naiveté one of my more endearing traits, I'll have you know!

But yeah, Nomura is the dead badger fouling up the toilet-bowl, ain't he? I can't comment on the recent Kingdom Hearts as I thought that was gimmicky nonsense the first time around. And now with extra zippers? Fuck that. All your other criticisms seem right enough, though. Oh, except the FF4 sequel, which I also haven't played. I take you think I'm better off?

Bah, at this point I'm tempted to vomit out some dumb fucking clichés about broken clocks but I won't bother. I have absolutely zero objective reasons for thinking that the games will be good. Maybe I can hope that Nomura isn't actually an idiot, and has maybe even learned something from his own mistakes. Yeah, I know... not very likely.

Didn't say being naive was always a bad thing. :p I actually sort of miss my innocence.

Anyway, yeah, The After Years sequel to FF4 was less than good. As for Kingdom Hearts, the first game actually was quite good. Sure, it was non-sensical fanservice pretty much, but it was a well told tale for what it was, well acted (mostly), with solid gameplay for both combat and platforming. KH2 wholesale removed the platforming, and dumbed the combat down to near Crisis Core levels of spam X to win. As much as I hate the fascination with Sephiroth, he makes for the perfect case of why KH2 went very wrong. In the first game it was all about strategy if you wanted to beat him. You could theoretically do it at the lowest level possible, with no exp grinding. Comparatively, in KH2 if you want to beat him, almost no strategy is involved, and he can (and will) oneshot you if you're below a certain level.

Jennacide:
Didn't say being naive was always a bad thing. :p I actually sort of miss my innocence.

Anyway, yeah, The After Years sequel to FF4 was less than good. As for Kingdom Hearts, the first game actually was quite good. Sure, it was non-sensical fanservice pretty much, but it was a well told tale for what it was, well acted (mostly), with solid gameplay for both combat and platforming. KH2 wholesale removed the platforming, and dumbed the combat down to near Crisis Core levels of spam X to win. As much as I hate the fascination with Sephiroth, he makes for the perfect case of why KH2 went very wrong. In the first game it was all about strategy if you wanted to beat him. You could theoretically do it at the lowest level possible, with no exp grinding. Comparatively, in KH2 if you want to beat him, almost no strategy is involved, and he can (and will) oneshot you if you're below a certain level.

Aye, that sounds awful indeed, and somehow symptomatic for Nomura-games in general. I mean, how many people complained about the one-button combat in FFXIII? Personally, I thought the paradigm system salvaged it somewhat, but that really only came into play during boss battles. I suppose this touches upon a broader subject, namely where stream-lining ends and dumbing down begins. However, I'm at work right now and the idea of pondering on that in the context of modern gaming seems even more depressing and tiring than... you know, being at work.

I wish the Square Enix fans would just get their sex changes and die. Every time I see one of those piles of filth occupying prime store shelf space, I cringe reflecting upon the development capital it wasted. Oh, the good games that could have been designed with that Yen.

Certainly not designed by Square Enix, though.

Two small but potent rules that may change the world. It is surprising no one came up with them earlier.
I am buying pointy boots today to help enforce them.

I hear Square-Enix is now going release one FF every year. To which I hope they follow your rules.

Does Final Fantasy even have a cohesive plot anymore?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here