The Escapist Presents: Magic the Gathering Challenge Guide

Magic the Gathering Challenge Guide

How to beat three of the challenges in Duels of of the Planeswalkers 2012.

Watch Video

What's the music from? Feels like I recognise it but...

Edit: The Elder Scrolls remix?

I was way too lazy to try and figure out the hardest 3 challenges in the game and ended up using Gamefaqs. I like the idea of the challenges, but I honestly think they can be a little to crazy later on simply because of the lack of context you are given. Its one thing to come up with a strategy to win an impossible situation after you have played a whole game, but when you are dropped right into the end-game turn with a million cards in play it can be really daunting.

Also, they really should not have done challenges for Arch-enemy mode... there is just way too much happening >.>

AngryMongoose:
What's the music from? Feels like I recognise it but...

Edit: The Elder Scrolls remix?

Yeah, pretty sure its TES.

That's totally Call of Magic, which is the TES theme.
And I thought this would be an Escapist-wide MTG tourney, but oh well.

Cool nonetheless, and informative.

Man, I really like the challenges in the Duels games, they remind me of the old ones you used to get in the magazines, of course with those you wouldn't really know if you'd done it right till the next month.

I haven't got Duels 2012 yet, but I enjoyed the ones in the first Duels and these seem to be just as good.

ArchEnemy challenges... that sounds tricky

Two points:

1. Yes please on the showing of more challenges.

2. Nicol Bolas is a dragon, not a vampire, despite his whole "wanting to absorb all the power he can ever get his hands on" stick

Well, the challenges can be fun but the thing is that you don't run into similar situations in the actual duels due to lack of customization.

Fappy:
I like the idea of the challenges, but I honestly think they can be a little to crazy later on simply because of the lack of context you are given.

Well that's part of the fun, there is a winning play in there somewhere and you probably need to thinking well outside the box to find it.

My only gripe with them is when I find another way to win but you are forced to repeat because you didn't win in that exact turn (sure, some of them specify this condition, but damn if after a few attempts I so want to have any way of winning be correct). Nicol Bolas does lovingly smack you with Cruel Ultimatum to reinforce that no really you need to beat him this turn.

Leonhart321:
Two points:

2. Nicol Bolas is a dragon, not a vampire, despite his whole "wanting to absorb all the power he can ever get his hands on" stick

Let's split the difference and call him a vampire dragon. Even if it isn't true, it's cool sounding.

Slycne:

Fappy:
I like the idea of the challenges, but I honestly think they can be a little to crazy later on simply because of the lack of context you are given.

Well that's part of the fun, there is a winning play in there somewhere and you probably need to thinking well outside the box to find it.

My only gripe with them is when I find another way to win but you are forced to repeat because you didn't win in that exact turn (sure, some of them specify this condition, but damn if after a few attempts I so want to have any way of winning be correct). Nicol Bolas does lovingly smack you with Cruel Ultimatum to reinforce that no really you need to beat him this turn.

Yeah, I noticed a few situations that would have granted a victory the following turn as well. Kind of wish they allowed more freedom in the later challenges.

Susan Arendt:

Leonhart321:
Two points:

Let's split the difference and call him a vampire dragon. Even if it isn't true, it's cool sounding.

OT: Good video sir. I personally wouldn't mind a video for the Archenemy challenges....though I really would hate myself for watching it. Took me forever to beat the regular challenges, and god dammit I refuse to let this game win!

Slycne:

Fappy:

The problem is you dont know if you will loose on his turn because in many of them you very well could.

Cabal_Therapist:
Man, I really like the challenges in the Duels games, they remind me of the old ones you used to get in the magazines, of course with those you wouldn't really know if you'd done it right till the next month.

I haven't got Duels 2012 yet, but I enjoyed the ones in the first Duels and these seem to be just as good.

ArchEnemy challenges... that sounds tricky

They are much much much better in duels 2012. The ones in the last game took a whole 10 seconds to figure out. In duels 2012 however the last three regular ones and the last couple archenemy ones were a lot of fun. I am pretty sure the last few would be near impossible for somebody who hasnt been playing magic for awhile.

nice video, i probably wont watch any more solutions videos because i'll want to figure them out myself but this has definatly gotten me interested in the game, i didnt really like duels 2011 but this and some of the other new modes look really interesting

666Chaos:

Slycne:

Fappy:

The problem is you dont know if you will loose on his turn because in many of them you very well could.

That's actually why I thought Nicol's Cruel Ultimatum is a nice touch, I remember at least one of them was a case where I had cleared their board, was sitting on one or more buffed creatures, hand advantage, etc and you still loose because you didn't beat them in one turn. Even if it was "oh look I pulled a Blaze, haha you loose" at least then there is no second guessing if you would win or not on the next turn.

Nicol Bolas is an Elder Dragon and a Planeswalker. It's Sorin Markov that's the Vampire.

And those three challenges were some of the easier ones. The Archenemy ones really had me scratching my head...

I like the challenges but having played a lot of Forge and the physical game I found them pretty obvious. Not boasting or anything, it's just always easier to see a solution when you KNOW there's a solution in there somewhere.

For the Record, Nicol Bolas is not a dragon nor is he a vampire. He is a dragon-planeswalker and if he was to be considered a dragon (as in a normal dragon0 then he would be considered one of the five elder dragons (six arguably because there was supposed to be a cousin of one of them that was erased from existence or enslaved or something).
The challenges are really fun, but I would love for them to tell me how to do the archenemy ones.

I did have an issue with one challenge where I had to

, but once I found the "hold priority" option that was fine. It'd be easy to execute playing in real life, but the timer kept screwing me up with the video game.

Susan Arendt:

Leonhart321:
Two points:

I can live with this XD

This is a great idea for a video and yes I would like to see more. I'd really like to know if there's more than one right answer for some of the challenges. I was able to beat one (a medium challenge) without really knowing what I had done. Pure lucksack there. So it was really cool to be able to watch your solution and go "Yeah, I'm pretty sure I didn't do that...." So I'm glad that this isn't like the back page of the old Duelist where you had to beat it "their way."

Thank you for also parsing out the video so that it's easy to tell if you're looking at a challenge you have done or not so nothing was spoiled for me. What I'd really love to see though is the one thing not in this great game, which is a definition of some of the new mechanics (such as exile, and whatever the mechanic is that makes you discard instead of lose endurance, etc.) for those of us who started giving Magic the miss as soon as we saw our first "Snow covered swamp." It would also be great if there were articles on the Escapist for beginning or returning Duelist tips. Maybe an overview of the new strategies for the colors? For instance, White did not make for great equip decks before, but I love Wielding Steel.

I have also seen cards in this game that I have been hoping they would reprint forever but I'm not sure if they are just using them to increase the challenge or if they really are in the 2012 core set. I.E. Icy Manipulator, Moxes, and Time walk. Are they really back or is this just for the sake of DotP 2012?

Slow down there, Tito! You could've done the narration after recording the gameplay! Hope you do more of these, and there are multiple ways to do other challenges as well.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here