Escape to the Movies: Captain America

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Captain America

Pretty much perfect in every way.

Watch Video

So it's awesome, eh?

Screw that! I'm gonna go watch the Reb Brown movie!

Totally agree with the sentiment that the lack of irony made this movie. I've rarely seen a more earnest or sincere film, nor seen it handled this well since... well, The Rocketeer.

Actually, I agree with this review on just about every level, which is rare for me when it comes to Bob. However, this film is note perfect, and Bob nails every reason why it is awesome, as well as the quite sad reason some people might not like it.

Regardless, this movie should be seen by everyone. Twice.

See this movie. Now.

marioman360:

Screw that! I'm gonna go watch the Reb Brown movie!

Wait... the guy from Space Mutiny was in that old Captain America movie ?! FFFFFFFFFFFFF

On Topic: This is the second time in a row that a Marvel film has caught me wishing I was seeing it as a kid.

Not that it doesn't have universal appeal (Hayley Atwell) but had I been 10 or 11 years old seeing Thor, or especially Captain America, I could see them being literally life-altering moviegoing experiences.

And while on the topic of the Avengers, all I can say is that I'm really, really glad someone who has experience in both directing AND writing Marvel comics is at the helm of the most ambitious comic book movie perhaps ever.

Wow, he really laid out the praise in this piece. It's a refreshing take from his normal cynicism.

I might go see this on Saturday, or when I more free time.

Bah! This movie isn't out for another WEEK in New Zealand. WHYYYYY?!

Well, I look forward to opening night here in Zuu Zullind :P

Hmmm, interest in this flick...rising. Plus, was that Tommy-Lee Jones? Never knew he was in this, only adds points to overall interest.

Doctor Brobotnik:

It's the same in the UK. Oh, come on! I can't wait for this.

I hadn't thought about The Rocketeer in years and now I have to see it again. And this. And I'm likely to continue not seeing the Reb Brown movie.

good to hear its good. still have to wait till the 8th next month, here in hong kong.

Ugh, I have to wait until Sunday.

Better hand to hand than Blade *.*?! Let me see that, this weekend.

too bad its not out in the uk for another week

Good to see there's hope for the future.

I'm probably going to watch that one.

Nice review, Bob. Irony can be a great tool, but it often turns into lazy cynicism. Thanks for defending the un-ironic.

Really glad this turned out good. If Marvel fumbled the ball here the Avengers Initiative would've been dead in the water.

Well it's good to see Moviebob happy.... for once.

Saw it at the midnight showing last night, probably going to see it again this weekend. I want to contend your statement that it was perfect, but I can't think of anything to say against it. Not that I don't want it to be perfect, I just don't think anything is perfect.

And yes, it was nice seeing a complete lack of irony attached to such a patriotic character. Usually "jingoistic" is the word you usually hear thrown around for patriotic characters -- not here. Unlike most patriotic characters, Steve is proud of his country, not himself, making him not the jerk most are. I really think the whole movie is summed up by his line to Red Skull: "What makes you so special?" "Nothing. I'm just a kid from Brooklyn."

Doctor Brobotnik:

Oh please, it's not out for nearly a month where I live.

And from that, its opening night is on my birthday. Perhaps I'll watch this one.

I'm glad to see this movie is about a good guy. Not just a costumed superhero, but a genuinely good person. I am so stoked for this movie and I'm glad to hear it really was knocked out the park. Can't wait.

meh, still not interested. Marvel's films have been painfully lackluster ever since Iron Man 2 was revealed to be a directionless bore due to Marvel being far too much in love with the Avengers.

And no Bob, the Avengers is not working. Hate to break it to ya, but not explaining something in a movie with the hand-waving of "oh, it was explained in ANOTHER movie!" is unacceptable. Films will never be comics and your love of comics refuses to admit that. Here's an analogy: this is like if they had a vitally important scene for a comic mini-series explained in a tie-in issue without TELLING YOU.

It's THAT good? Damn, I need to find a movie theater somewhere... like, NOW...

doing anything but playing the movie straight could not have possibly worked with the character. unfortunately i have to wait a month till the movie is released in Germany.

bartholen:

Doctor Brobotnik:

Oh please, it's not out for nearly a month where I live.

And from that, its opening night is on my birthday. Perhaps I'll watch this one.

Sheez, you got it rough :\ where do you live?

(Capcha - 'i see'. Maybe life isn't so tough after all.)

I'm glad you said all those things Bob. Do I like snarky, edgy, or heroes with a bit of darkness to them? Sure I do. But after 20-30 years (and especially the post-Pulp Fiction era) where those were the only protagonists onscreen, I'm starving for an inspiring, capable, unapologetic Good Guy. I'm dying to see a Lawful Good character portrayal that doesn't degenerate into Lawful Stupid. And I'm glad there finally is one.

I'm generally not a fan of ultimate good vs. ultimate evil storylines and characters, but then I'm not a fan of attempts to add complicated morality but simply making it gritty and ambiguous. I'll certainly give this one a shot.

Sounds interesting... But will anyone care outside America?

Hey Bob, can you stop trolling your community please? "Batman Who?" Really? You have to know by now that people are crazy about this movie and saying stuff like that has no purpose, but to incite people. Also, no superhero movie has surpassed The Dark Knight, and I doubt this one will either.

OT: I doubt it is as good as you say it is going to be, but I am glad it's getting such high praise.

I can't wait to see it.

I have little to no interest in this movie.

I'm just here to say that it's surprisingly nice to hear Bob sounding happy about a movie.

Wow, I had expected this to be the worst of the avengers setups, awkwardly trying to avoid alienating international viewers while still keeping true to the patriotism that is needed by a character named captain america.
I still have doubts about the Avengers movie, mainly about how all these heroes' chemistry could possibly work together, but this has given me hope.

I've been waiting for this movie eagerly ever since it was announced, because Cap and Iron Man are my two favorite Marvel Heroes (besides Deadpool) because they provide superb contrasts. They got Tony Stark the snarky alcoholic self-loathing narcissist right, can they get Steve Rogers sincere sweet golden boy right as well? (I'd argue that it'd be harder to get Cap done right then it was for Iron Man). And I was desperately waiting for you to put up this video all week to assure myself that they could do it right, also because I'm scheduled to see it thrice this weekend with three different groups of people.
And I'm so happy they did.
Also, your comments as to why you loved the movie just assure me further that you're my perfect geek reviewer since I agree full-heartedly with how you describe the character and the setting as being exactly what Cap needs.
I'm so excited to see this, and even more so for the Avengers Movie, man I hope it's half as good as it could be.

wooty:
Hmmm, interest in this flick...rising. Plus, was that Tommy-Lee Jones? Never knew he was in this, only adds points to overall interest.

Not only is he in it, he steals every scene he's in.

So yea, really good movie. And it goes without saying, but stay after the credits.... more so this than any other marvel movie to date, STAY AFTER THE CREDITS.

So I have to see Thor before I see Captain America?

EDIT: Okay, magic exists, I can deal with that.

wooty:

Yep. A whole slew of stars are in this movie, but not in an overly obnoxious way. I was so worried about how well they would do on Captain America, just because its a lot to live up to.

Most seem nowadays to attempt to spin the ironic type of screenplay in with the movie. Adding too much comic relief, or in awkward places, which makes the movie seem like its trying too hard. It just seems like...strong, and optimistic to me. Its no superpolitical movie. Its something that can resonate with most patriots, and doesn't throw patriotism at you like a brick.

Its a more humble movie in ways. Like Capt. America.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here