Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Review

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Review

The Boy Who Lived finally hangs up his wand.

Read Full Article

Umm...he didn't hand up anything. He went on to be an Auror,sort of an elite police man for the Ministry that captures Dark wizards or witches, as it says in the book. :/

I remember having the first Harry Potter game on my old Playstation, and to my memory it seemed like a pretty good game. That may just be because I was a kid though.

Also it would be pretty cool if someone decided to make a massive Harry Potter game that covers all of the books and get people that actually know how to make games to do it.

Griffin Herod:
Umm...he didn't hand up anything. He went on to be an Auror,sort of an elite police man for the Ministry that captures Dark wizards or witches, as it says in the book. :/

I think he was just referring to the games, meaning there probably wont be anymore new stories coming from them.

I liked Philosophers stone. That's about it. I always felt if the movies get to do over the book, the game itself should be standalone as well, not a tie in. But alas. We do not live in such a world yet -sigh-

LobsterFeng:
I remember having the first Harry Potter game on my old Playstation, and to my memory it seemed like a pretty good game. That may just be because I was a kid though.

Also it would be pretty cool if someone decided to make a massive Harry Potter game that covers all of the books and get people that actually know how to make games to do it.

in order for that game to be "good" it would have to be really really really really long!
and games that are that long are not good at all.

in order to make it a reasonable length to play they would have to cut out most of the book.
it would just be a guy with a wand running around yelling stuff at trolls and other wizards with out you really knowing why.

Huh. Sounds like the usual minimum effort tie-in game. Though I guess they at least tried to improve the gameplay somewhat.

I know someone who was involved in making the 4th harry potter game. I spent some time talking to him on a game development forum anyway.

He was responsible for the potions minigame back then.

Still, I agree this has merit as a shooter with an alternate theme...

Speaking of which, does anyone here remember Hexen? Back in the days of doom, and the original Duke nukem, that was essentially a shooter with all the usual weapons replaced by things such as magic wands and the like.

Although, to be honest at the time I felt it seemed to be a little flat. It was just too much like a shooter with a 'magic' theme tacked onto it. Right down to the way you needed 'ammo' for the various weapons.

It does still make me wonder why we haven't seen more inventive adaptations of various ideas though...

A magic themed space combat game anyone? (or maybe floating island based, which in terms of gameplay would work quite similarly, assuming you can't reach ground level.)

But nostalgia tells me that the second Harry Potter game was awesome...

epikAXE:

Nay! The first one was best!

My nostalgia's better than yours!

EDIT: Looking at these screenshots, I found myself reading the subtitles in exactly the right voices...

Who else thinks a Harry Potter RPG would kick ass? Just a thing where you go to Hogwarts and depending on how you want to play you get sorted into one of the four houses. It has the potential to suck but i think it could work

The lego game is going to be better which is kinda sad I guess.

LobsterFeng:

I still have both the Philosopher's Stone and the Chamber of Secrets on PS1 and I can say that, even today, they are two of the BEST Harry Potter games ever made. It's just a shame they didn't continue to make Prisoner of Azkaban as well.

The ONLY game that lets you fly Arthur Weasley's flying Ford Anglia. Hell yeah!

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Harry Potter. Warner Bros won't give up the license that easily. Besides, games based on a huge franchise that are developed without being tied to a specific film have got a bigger chance at being good.

I concur with the Hogwarts RPG game. Someone get Bethesda on that!

Tharwen:

epikAXE:

EDIT: Looking at these screenshots, I found myself reading the subtitles in exactly the right voices...

I loved that game so much XD

I loved the first 2 games on PC, and 3 was ok on Xbox. Though I'll admit that I didn't like any of the other ones except the LEGO Games. Nostalgia, Nostalgia...

LEGO Harry Potter 2: Years 5-7, then the tie in games will stop.

I freaking love HP LEGO, playing it right now, as I type this.

Chamber of Secrets was awesome. All the others were meh.

The first two games were pretty good, although aimed at a more lenient target audience

EDIT: I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt Molly's moment of awesome was a tad short

imnotparanoid:

Tharwen:

epikAXE:

"It's Potty Wee Potter!"

So did I. I think I must have spent a long time restarting the game over and over again because I can't really remember the end...

Where's Sectumsempra in this game? I wanted to see Harry chop up some Death Eaters, but Petrificus Totalus is the best spell in the game? Weak.

i tried the last game just because it was uber cheap and i has an xbox but even at a fiver i took it back it was just baaaaaad. more media slutism and selling out for a quick buck

I had the first game on my shitty old PC. I remember it being pretty good, but I was also 7 sooooo.... yeah.

Perhaps I'm an überfanboy of the HP universe, but I actually tire of "real" gamers constantly lamenting that all the HP games were a shameless cash grab and of zero artistic merit. Not everyone prefers twitch style FPS gaming, and I think the ones that focused on platforming and exploration over combat were mostly done quite well. With the exception of the two Deathly Hallows games, I've played them all. Here's how I'd rank them, from best to worst:

1. Order of the Phoenix (they basically hand you the keys to an authentic Hogwarts and say, "Go nuts.") Terrific title.
2. Lego Harry Potter years 1-4 - a lot of craftsmanship and a real sense of fun went into this. A lot of the cutscenes are laugh out loud funny.
3. Sorcerer's Stone. An HP game before they started having to conform to the movies. This let them take a few more liberties with the art style (albeit PS1 at the time) and include minor characters like Peeves.
4. Chamber of Secrets. More of the same.
5. Prisoner of Azkaban. Odd stylistic choices and uneven pacing make the title appear a bit slapdash. This is the first one where the game characters resembled their film counterparts, which was done poorly.
6. Quiddich World Cup. The first one I would have called flat-out bad. Poor mechanics, cultural insensitivity, and repetitive, annoying commentary made this one a loser.
7. Goblet of Fire. A total waste of time. Devs shat upon their core audience by trying to make Harry "edgier," abandoning their successful platforming/exploration model and going for a (badly done) combat angle.

I loved the first two Harry Potter games for the PS1, so awesome.

Tharwen:

imnotparanoid:

Tharwen:

"It's Potty Wee Potter!"

So did I. I think I must have spent a long time restarting the game over and over again because I can't really remember the end...

Thats because it was bloody hard, I won it once in 5 years, my freind who I borrowed it off never did.

You know, considering the films are all over now, anyone else think there might be a chance that someone is gonna make a really good game based on the events of all 7 books?

Between all of them, it would make a kickass game, if done right.

Hopefully they can make a good set of games that follows the events of the books better.

A harry potter RPG would be nice. When the game starts it could give a personality quiz and from those results they could tell you which house you are in.

It really saddens me that we can't get a real Harry Potter game because every movie absolutely must have a cheap videogame cash-in. It's a disgrace to the industry. Why can't the videogame be the best form of the adaptation?

The Harry Potter universe is rife with videogame potential, just like the Star Wars universe. Though half of the Star Wars games are shameless cash-ins, we've also gotten a lot of really awesome games that take advantage of what that universe can offer. Harry Potter could easily manage the same thing. Get on it videogame industry.

Hey the first 3 games, especially chamber of secrects, were pretty damn good! The others were pretty meh (it was kind of cool in order of the phoenix that you could explore hogwarts). But the deathly hallows ones are complete shit, I don't know why they would make the TPS.

Griffin Herod:

You really could have added a spoiler you know...

I'm still laughing over, "2hours and 52 minutes!?"

To me, Wands being used as AK-47's is just dumb. Wands are suppose to be magical tools, not weapons used to slaughter people in War.

Yeah, I know this is a war... but seriously, this makes wands seem like AK-47's they hand out to kids when they're 11. Sure, you can stop and arrest the kid or put warning's, but you're still handing an 11 year old a weapon of death.

~.~ Stupify!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here