Unskippable: Sonic the Hedgehog

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The opening cutscene is the best part of this game, the rest can be summarized by a perpetual loading screen...

mjc0961:
Except other regions aren't Japan, and in other regions his original name is Robotnik and they later changed it to Eggman. It doesn't matter what he was called in Japan. He was Robotnik here, and then they changed his name to Eggman.

But why rename anything? It's pretty darn disrespectful to the people who made the original game. "Yeah, nice job, but let's change things around", it's no different from dubbing a film or series and changing the dialogue out of its original context because whoever was in charge of translating didn't like the sound or mood of it.

For all I care, that they refer to him as Eggman from Sonic Adventure onward is what I call "setting the record straight".

And don't any of you guys like the Beatles?

It's amazing how everything about the sonic world gets updated to next gen graphics and style.
Sonic however just stagnates looking like a 3-d version of the same solid blue sprite.

Talk about symbolism.

Its Pot Leaf the Headhog!

Also the running and jumping in the later scene looked just like that one Sonic DX game that came out on the Dreamcast (and then the Gamecube), so at least the dev team is recycling... their physics engine

He actually said "Dr. Eggman"?.. :(((((((((((((
robotnicrobotnicrobotnicrobotnicrobotnicrobotnicrobotnicrobotnic

why do they keep trying to mesh realistic looking humans with the overly cartoonish sonic (and friends). And why must they keep trying to make sonic look "badass and cool". really i think he'd be fine if they just stuck with cartoony (at least setting wise, gameplay would still have to be worked with).

There is nothing wrong with having a single giant eye with two pupils. Lots of people have that. It's a medical condition.

Am I the only person who can honestly not see the "eyeball with two pupils" thing?

What the HELL did I just watch? Seriously that's all I can say. Why do people buy these games anymore?

Pedro The Hutt:
Except his original name is Eggman, he's always been called Eggman in Japan, Sonic games are made by a Japanese developer, his Wing Fortress in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was branded with a giant E at several locations, the Death EGG, and one of his robots shoots eggs, how much more evidence do you need to be snapped out of your silly denial that Eggman is, and always will be, his original name that Sega of America changed for no good reason.

Hey, while we're at it, let's change Mega Man's name back to Rockman, since he was always Rockman in Japan, his cohorts have corresponding names like Roll, Bass, Treble and Beat, and since years of branding in the Western world don't matter!

Oh, and the rebranded board game adaptation is called Settlers of Catan: Rockman Edition.

Chicks like tall guys. With two eyes. And are human. Seriously, she must be a hardcore furry.

Jumped the shark? Sonic's beating the shark to a bloody mess.

The day that Sonic leaves DeviantART will be the day that progressive artists will get the attention they deserve on that site.

TheSchaef:

Pedro The Hutt:
Except his original name is Eggman, he's always been called Eggman in Japan, Sonic games are made by a Japanese developer, his Wing Fortress in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was branded with a giant E at several locations, the Death EGG, and one of his robots shoots eggs, how much more evidence do you need to be snapped out of your silly denial that Eggman is, and always will be, his original name that Sega of America changed for no good reason.

Hey, while we're at it, let's change Mega Man's name back to Rockman, since he was always Rockman in Japan, his cohorts have corresponding names like Roll, Bass, Treble and Beat, and since years of branding in the Western world don't matter!

Oh, and the rebranded board game adaptation is called Settlers of Catan: Rockman Edition.

I wouldn't oppose to that, personally. Since Capcom USA undermined the whole bloody pun behind the naming. Sadly, given that 8 years of Sonic The Hedgehog before giving the villain his proper name caused fans to ~still~ be unwilling to even accept that Eggman is his original name, I'd hate to imagine what the Megaman fans would do after more than two solid decades. But hey. I just have a thing against renaming things that are perfectly sound.

That said, I wouldn't worry about it since Megaman's currently dead/on hiatus anyway. His last two games got cancelled and Capcom's got nothing planned for him at the moment. Meaning that it'll probably be at least 18 months before we see anything about the blue bomber again, and that's ideal circumstances.

On topic: I see that Sonic still "enjoys" an unpleasable fanbase. I suppose I shall just refer you to Yahtzee's opinion on fans.

"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it.

I won't say that there haven't been bad Sonic games, there certainly have been several, but there've been various decent ones in recent years, and even a few good ones (like Sonic Colors, and in my opinion even Sonic 4, the latter of which perfectly illustrates Yahtzee's point about fans)

Is it just me that finds this a better Final Fantasy game than of late?
Or a crappier Sonic the Hedgehog game?

You decide!

PhunkyPhazon:
*Logs onto Escapist, sees link to this*

GAAAAAAAAHHHH!!! What is THAT fucking game doing here!? I hate it hate it hate it hate it I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG'S GAME! Nothing puts a smile on my face faster than seeing someone tear this game to shreds. I watched the opening cutscene intending to play a nice Final Fantasy game, but noooooooo.

Ugh. Maybe I'll go play some Sonic Colors to get this piece of crap out of my mind.

JWRosser:

I hope he and the Princess (I assume she is anyway) don't fall in love.

Oh God...they do, don't they?

You don't want to know.

You'll never unsee it.

I remember when I tried this game, I thought "Maybe, after all these years, now that I'm a more hardcore gamer, I can repair my broken relationship with such a classic game series!!!" and then I was wrong.

MowDownJoe:

GamemasterAnthony:
You know...Sonic probably WOULD have had a better RPG than Sonic Chronicles if Square-Enix was on board.

Hey, I liked Sonic Chronicles (downer cliffhanger ending aside)! And Bioware actually made Big likable. (Admittedly, they did that by making him an idiot that you can't help but laugh at.)

I liked Chronicles too...ESPECIALLY that one scene where Big made SONIC look like a fool! But...I didn't say Chronicles was a bad game. I just think from an RPG POV, S-E could probably do something awesome. They once DID do good RPGs before they started going linear and auto-battle. (Square-Enix...you did so well with FF12...WHY did FF13 suck so much?!?)

Blue streak, as his franchise dies!

Literally had me on my desk laughing my head off.

This one was pure gold! :D

This reminds me of a dream I had where every game I'd ever seen was meshed together with all of the characters, differing graphics and gameplay. Needless to say, it was a nightmare.

Seriously though, I thought for a second the title got mixed up as a joke.

Am I the only one who wants to play/see this, just because of how bizarre it is? I don't even...

wow, for the first two minutes I thought the title of the video was some lame joke. But no, it was not a Final Fantasy game, it literally was Sonic the Hedgehog.

Laaaaaadiesss.

What the fuck were sonic team smoking when they made that? CIA stash?

JWRosser:
Wow that looks....awful.

Neither Sonic nor Robotnik (I refuse to call him Eggman) look like they belong there at all. And at the end...why didn't Sonic just run up the buildings and gather enough speed to propel himself onto the ship like he has done so many times before?

As far as can remember (having found and read some of the original comics from the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series. Robotnik was defeated during a battle with Sonic when some machine malfunctioned and he was teleported into another dimension or something.

Later though an even more evil robotic version of Robotnik came to their dimension and took over again. He was defeated (kind of) but he activated some other robot version of himself (The latest Robotnik which is the 'Eggman' model) Therefore he is now Dr. Eggman. Confused? So am I.

XD

Sorry, still laughing at "Girls prefer tall guys.....with separate eyeballs"

FinalFreak16:

JWRosser:
Wow that looks....awful.

Neither Sonic nor Robotnik (I refuse to call him Eggman) look like they belong there at all. And at the end...why didn't Sonic just run up the buildings and gather enough speed to propel himself onto the ship like he has done so many times before?

As far as can remember (having found and read some of the original comics from the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series. Robotnik was defeated during a battle with Sonic when some machine malfunctioned and he was teleported into another dimension or something.

Later though an even more evil robotic version of Robotnik came to their dimension and took over again. He was defeated (kind of) but he activated some other robot version of himself (The latest Robotnik which is the 'Eggman' model) Therefore he is now Dr. Eggman. Confused? So am I.

Well that's the best I've heard it explained anyway so...my thanks!

You know, I really don't get this. Didn't Robotnik kidnap the... princess or whatever because she had the chaos emerald? Seemed that way. Then why is he completely unfazed when she throws it to Sonic? Why exactly did he kidnap her if not because of the chaos emerald?

That opener was tolerable right until Robotnic and Sonic appeared. Really? This is just sad. WTF is wrong with these people?

One imbecile was paid to come up with this idea. Another to produce it. And another to market it. And at no point did a spark of sanity appear and declare: No.

Team Unskippable hit this one right on the head.

Graham_LRR:
Everyone's favorite hedgehog teleports into someone else's game.

But my favorite hedgehog is Mr. Pricklepants, he wears leather pants and a tyrolean hat. And he's simultaneously voiced by James Bond, Mr. Skinner from Hot Fuzz, and the President of the Time Lords.

Good soundtrack, bad game. I stopped playing Sonic games after Sonic Adventure.

Solve Media - image

yes, someone else noticed that fact that Sonic has only 1 eye. That has always freaked me out in the games/ shows where he does that.

...What the hell is this?

Who thought a game like this would be a good idea?

And why the hell do so many games franchises decide to reset their naming conventions for no good reason, leaving us with two games with the same name?

Forget the eyeball(s), what the hell is wrong with Sonic's HANDS?! They're enormous! It looks like the inflated them to add the extra finger to make him look more 'human' ostensibly to make future princess humping less weird. *shivers*

yes,i forgot that i was sonic
yes,i cant unsee it

One of my favourites! Man that game is weird...
What troubles me is that no one want sonic team to be making sonic games, not even sonic team. So WTF sega, get off your ass and fix this!

I'm anything but a pessimist, but that was the worst thing I've ever seen in the history of ever. They took my childhood memories, molested them, curbed stomped them and left them to die in an alleyway.

I've never been so genuinely pissed off about something that doesn't actually matter. THIS GAME IS FUCKING WITH THE EQUILIBRIUM OF MY PERSPECTIVE.

Blur studios makes everything look cool, even Sonic.

Sonic Team didn't make the cinematic. Their handiwork shows up once things look bad.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here