Extra Punctuation: Mixing Single and Multiplayer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

I think co-op definitely can't work with horror, but for other games, it doesn't have to ruin a plot-driven game. It's all just a matter of you and your partner having an interest in following the story. If one of you is just trying to blitz through the game as fast as possible, teabagging enemy corpses and doing the squat-thrust dance on an NPC's head while they're trying to tell you about your next objective, that's going to break the immersion.

Avaholic03:
Surely there are some games with decent co-op focus, but still playable single player. I like what Gears of War did with co-op...sometimes separating the players so they could deal with separate issues, or tackle the same fight from different angles. Sure, only one player could go each route so you might "miss out" on one of the experiences, but it was an interesting idea. Now, if only that story had a little more depth...

GoW did a pretty descent job. The whole game isn't much more than a bunch of swaggering brutes spewing bullets and "comedy" but I had a lot of fun in single-player and split-screen. Same with L4D. Don't make these games out to be more than they are and you'll be fine. I NEVER play online anymore - way too many jerks. I got hand cramps making fists of rage all the time. Going to fire up Deus Ex: HR in a couple of hours for the first time. Happy single player gaming :-D

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here