Catherine Review

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Catherine Review

As difficult and fascinating as the woman in the title.

Read Full Article

My game is about to arrive! :D
Good review. It seems to repeat some common themes I've heard from reviews. Hair pulling difficulty, branching cutscenes and endings, and a morality meter that really wasn't necessary. Seems to be a theme in games. *cough*Mass Effect*cough*

Edit: Also, Catherine being high pitched, but not totally annoying? Sounds familiar. The voice actor for Rise from P4 voices her.

I can't wait to go pick this game up today. I've been anticipating it for a while. Obviously not as much as RedEyes up there. ^

Good to know that this game is doing well. Further increases my chance of getting it.

I can't get interested in a game where I have to play a male character.

God I wish I had a PS3. I love me some batshit insane imagery.

manythings:

It's also for the 360.

Genre: Family/Puzzle

What? Since when is a game that's main theme is sex and adultery, a family one?

xD

What I don't get about this game is the apparent lack of relation between story and gameplay. On the one hand we have a guy with commitment issues... okay, cool, got my attention. But then on the other hand we have the same guy climbing a block tower... uhh, what?

It would be like, I dunno... having your Grey Warden defeat the blight by playing Breakout, except the blocks all look like various kinds of darkspawn.

Ok deffinately gotta import this one

RedEyesBlackGamer:
Also, Catherine being high pitched, but not totally annoying? Sounds familiar. The voice actor for Rise from P4 voices her.

Not only that but Troy Baker who voices Vincent also voiced Kanji in P4 so there's top notch voice acting all around

Zhukov:
What I don't get about this game is the apparent lack of relation between story and gameplay. On the one hand we have a guy with commitment issues... okay, cool, got my attention. But then on the other hand we have the same guy climbing a block tower... uhh, what?

It would be like, I dunno... having your Grey Warden defeat the blight by playing Breakout, except the blocks all look like various kinds of darkspawn.

It is a little bizarre, granted. But you get past that pretty quickly.

KaosuHamoni:

xD

We got a chuckle out of that here, too. Our genres are pre-determined based on criteria that I won't bore you with, and for some weird reason, family and puzzle games got lumped together. I supposed because they're both harmless.

KaosuHamoni:

xD

You said exactly what I was thinking xD

OT: I cant wait for my Deluxe Edition to arrive :3

CD-R:

manythings:

It's also for the 360.

Don't have a 360 either but on balance the PS3 has more stuff I want that I can't just get a PC version.

stupid game being only on consoles that are broken for me

A friend of mine is getting this game and as soon as he finishes it, I'm borrowing it from him. The funny part was that he was afraid that it would be too easy. And I told him, "Easy game? From ATLUS? Sure, and I like Metal Gear Solid for the gameplay and not the story."

copperbird:

This... This boggles my mind. I don't even know how to respond to this. Can you elaborate?

Oh wow, great score and great review to boot? *o*

Catherine is definitely not a game for everyone, and your making me re-think playing easy mode and going for normal, which is both intimidating and crazy to me, but dammit.. I think.. i can do this.. lol

Great review! Can't wait to give this a try.

Susan Arendt:

KaosuHamoni:

xD

We got a chuckle out of that here, too. Our genres are pre-determined based on criteria that I won't bore you with, and for some weird reason, family and puzzle games got lumped together. I supposed because they're both harmless.

I am not sure I want to see the family that would sit down together to play this, yet I cannot stop trying to imagine them.

Catherine is giving me horror vibes before I have even played it! Impressive.

I'm so happy that this will be getting a European release, I can't wait to play it :D

Catolf:

Catherine is definitely not a game for everyone, and your making me re-think playing easy mode and going for normal, which is both intimidating and crazy to me, but dammit.. I think.. i can do this.. lol

Stick with it! I promise you, you'll get better as you go. I struggled for aaaaages on the second boss, and then went back and did it in one try when capturing footage for this review. I was like "Huh...I can't remember what I found so hard about this."

Susan Arendt:

Catolf:

Stick with it! I promise you, you'll get better as you go. I struggled for aaaaages on the second boss, and then went back and did it in one try when capturing footage for this review. I was like "Huh...I can't remember what I found so hard about this."

Okay, I'll play it on normal.. i hope I don't pull my hair out. lol

Catolf:

Susan Arendt:

Catolf:

Oh, well...you will. :) Just grab as many pillows as you can! (They're extra lives.)

Having not played the demo, but read part of the review, I'm going to assume this is Echochrome with sex appeal. This pleases me.

Susan Arendt:

Catolf:

Susan Arendt:

Oh, well...you will. :) Just grab as many pillows as you can! (They're extra lives.)

Random question: Why didn't John review it? He seemed to always be the one posting Catherine articles and loves the Persona team. Not cracking on you, I'm just wondering why John didn't jump at the chance to review it.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Susan Arendt:

Catolf:

Random question: Why didn't John review it? He seemed to always be the one posting Catherine articles and loves the Persona team. Not cracking on you, I'm just wondering why John didn't jump at the chance to review it.

Seniority has its privileges, and I've been looking forward to this game for ages. Also, John is no longer with The Escapist. He's off to China to teach English.

copperbird:

well thats kinda sexist :s

Don't think I'll ever play this game.

I have an irrational hatred for cheating and the spineless bastards who do it.

Vincent sounds like a guy who I'd genuinely hate, and there aren't many of those.

Susan Arendt:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Susan Arendt:

Seniority has its privileges, and I've been looking forward to this game for ages. Also, John is no longer with The Escapist. He's off to China to teach English.

Awwwwww. ):
Him and Logan are my favorite News Room contributors. Well, I wish him luck.

Here's hoping ZP gives Catherine a run through...

Normal it is.

Time to sit back and enjoy the strange tale of Catherine.

RedEyesBlackGamer:
My game is about to arrive! :D
Good review. It seems to repeat some common themes I've heard from reviews. Hair pulling difficulty, branching cutscenes and endings, and a morality meter that really wasn't necessary. Seems to be a theme in games. *cough*Mass Effect*cough*

Edit: Also, Catherine being high pitched, but not totally annoying? Sounds familiar. The voice actor for Rise from P4 voices her.

And doesn't the VA for Yoskue voice the blond haired guy (Vincent's friend)?

copperbird:

Then I guess humanity is just so boring for you.

ice1985:
Having not played the demo, but read part of the review, I'm going to assume this is Echochrome with sex appeal. This pleases me.

Um, no it's not? Echochrome has to do with visual illusion. Catherine is about climbing towers.

I should hopefully be getting Catherine today with the art book and CD. I sadly slept in one day and couldn't pre-order it so hopefully no humans walk into a Gamestop today.

Well...UGH. You suckered me into Normal. I know I need to start playing tougher difficulty to get some of my old-school mojo back, but man; I'm going to dread this. That said, if any game is going to get me out of a rut, it'd be a game from Persona Team.

Played the demo and sadly its one of those games where I hate the gameplay and speed through it just to see the next cutscene because the story is very good.

Not to say its an overall bad game I mean its definitely good, but if it wasn't for the interesting story I'd completely skip it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here