Catherine Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

KaosuHamoni:

Genre: Family/Puzzle

What? Since when is a game that's main theme is sex and adultery, a family one?

xD

That's not that weird. There's a lot of "family" entertainment like that.
You never saw Muppet Caligula?
It's why the terrorists hate us.

It's a shame this game isn't coming to PC any time soon, I seriously want to play this game.

I think I have to buy a PS3 right now.

Wasn't a big fan of the blocks, but liked the story even though it took a left and 9 and Bananas towards the end

Catolf:

I think that without Vincent cheating on C/Katherine is all the game's about, without it, there wouldn't be any story at all, it's like saying that in The Lord of The Rings, if Isildur should've thrown the ring in the first place, there wouldn't be any story at all.

If you want a perfect world, then don't play the game and go play something else.
I can see from miles away that the game isn't for everyone and that's a good thing, because it wasn't it's intention in the first place.

SupahGamuh:

Catolf:

I think that without Vincent cheating on C/Katherine is all the game's about, without it, there wouldn't be any story at all, it's like saying that in The Lord of The Rings, if Isildur should've thrown the ring in the first place, there wouldn't be any story at all.

If you want a perfect world, then don't play the game and go play something else.
I can see from miles away that the game isn't for everyone and that's a good thing, because it wasn't it's intention in the first place.

Exactly. It just seems like a silly thing to complain about.

I'm torn on whether or not to get this. On the one hand I usually avoid hard games, I don't have fun playing them and when they are hard enough I end up only playing them out of an angry form of being stubborn instead of any sense of genuine enjoyment. On the other hand this game looks like something really interesting and different and there is a strong chance I'll be missing out on something by not playing it. Though to be fair if the reports of this game being released in the UK are false and I can't import it this may end up being all a moot point anyway.

i am scarred for life with butt monster! x.X

Curse exclusives!Damn them all to hell!

It's going to be a long week, waiting for it to arrive in the UK. Especially considering the copy hasn't shipped yet.

Hristo Tzonkov:

Exclusives? It's on both the xbox and ps3..

Catolf:

Hristo Tzonkov:

Exclusives? It's on both the xbox and ps3..

Didn't notice it was for xbox as well...Still doesn't help me as there's no PC in the title :D.

woooo got my special edition today and after looking at all the extras Im finally sitting down and playing the game....Im excited!

I had to move the player back to make sure I really did see a butt monster, and I sure wasn't seeing things!

I'm super excited that Catherine is finally here, quirkiness and all! I've been waiting for this game for quite a while and I'm definitely getting it right after work.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
I had to move the player back to make sure I really did see a butt monster, and I sure wasn't seeing things!

I'm super excited that Catherine is finally here, quirkiness and all! I've been waiting for this game for quite a while and I'm definitely getting it right after work.

Shooting love out her vajayjay, yep. Creepiest goddamn thing I've seen in years.

Susan Arendt:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Shooting love out her vajayjay, yep. Creepiest goddamn thing I've seen in years.

I was thinking about getting this game, but that statement...coming from someone who has a vajayjay...makes me have second thoughts.

Susan Arendt:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

I don't know if I should laugh or weep.

I think there should be a drinking game with this, every time you see something creepy or too weird, take a shot! But I fear my liver might be a casualty in this.

CrazyCapnMorgan:

Susan Arendt:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

I was thinking about getting this game, but that statement...coming from someone who has a vajayjay...makes me have second thoughts.

Well, be fair...Vincent is fighting monsters in a nightmare, after all. They should be creepy, no?

Get the game, it's brilliant. Totally effed up, but brilliant. :)

Susan Arendt:

CrazyCapnMorgan:

Susan Arendt:

Well, be fair...Vincent is fighting monsters in a nightmare, after all. They should be creepy, no?

Get the game, it's brilliant. Totally effed up, but brilliant. :)

I would expect nightmares of this caliber coming from Suda51. Atlus, usually, doesn't take things THAT far. On another note...

I have to wonder why game companies don't use these lines to sell their product, because that bolded sentence right there...sold me. Thank you, Susan!

CrazyCapnMorgan:

I would expect nightmares of this caliber coming from Suda51. Atlus, usually, doesn't take things THAT far. On another note...

Dude, did you play Persona 4? Seriously wacked out monsters in that one. The stripper with a satellite for a head? Distuuuurrrrbbbiiiinnnngggggg.

Susan Arendt:

CrazyCapnMorgan:

Dude, did you play Persona 4? Seriously wacked out monsters in that one. The stripper with a satellite for a head? Distuuuurrrrbbbiiiinnnngggggg.

Yes, I did, and here's why, to me, that...thing...in Catherine is more disturbing than anything in Persona 4:

In Persona 4, the imagery used represents certain things about monsters and characters. For instance, that stripper you just mentioned? Satellite = attention getter, and that, basically, is what a stripper is. And let's not get started about Kanji's imagery...that could seriously freak people with a lesser willpower out.

Now, in Catherine you have that vajayjay/butt monster. This game revolves around choices made in relationships, sexual and emotional feelings. When I see that chasing after someone...in a nightmare setting...I'm almost embarrased to say this...

That could freak me out to the point where all I'll ever do is buy plastic vajayjay and forego burning that image into every woman I will ever meet again.

Got my 'Love is Over' edition today. I just beat the 4th set of puzzles and I'm really enjoying it. Little features like the morality bar changing Vincent's actions in cutscenes has helped to sell it for me.

And yeah after seeing the monster Susan mentioned...my god. I'm gonna be creeped out by that thing for a while.

Oh and my brother and his friends have made me play the game wearing nothing but the boxers. Good stuff.

Yeah I've heard the VA from Persona 3 + 4. Good stuff, I myself prefer Japanese though so meh.

and i still have to wait for this to be released in Europe...

I'm pretty sure I'll be picking this game up this week too - Its looks too interesting not to play, and I'm a sucker for an Atlas game I can get my hands on since I played my first Persona!

Hrm, I'm probably going to go through Easy difficulty first, and then go another playthrough on Normal difficulty. Is there a substantial difficulty gap between the settings or does either mode have its own fair share of hair-pulling moments?

Huh, so they just decided in the past few days that it'll be getting an official release over here. Now I don't know whether to wait or just go ahead and import it.

I'm not usually a fan of games that come with warnings such as "frustrating" and "really hard" but in this case I suspect it'll be over-ruled by the sheer uniqueness of the thing. I like me some crazy.

Jumplion:
Hrm, I'm probably going to go through Easy difficulty first, and then go another playthrough on Normal difficulty. Is there a substantial difficulty gap between the settings or does either mode have its own fair share of hair-pulling moments?

The difference is massive. Not to the story, of course, but I actually found the Easy settings to be extremely unsatisfying. They were SO easy that the puzzle sections felt pointless.

Admittedly, I didn't play through the entire game that way, but I wouldn't have wanted to. A steep incline of difficulty would bring Easy up to "mildly vexing" at best.

Krinku:
Yeah I've heard the VA from Persona 3 + 4. Good stuff, I myself prefer Japanese though so meh.

People like you remind me that when a time machine is invented, the first thing to go will be 4kids, since everyone watched one of their crappy VA jobs, and now have a massive hatred for English VAs.

OT: I love Atlus, I love Anime, I love psycho sexy women. I would hate this game. Because I don't like puzzle games. Sad but true.

Didn't like the Tomb Raider series (which for the early part was a puzzle game)
And this will come as a shocker to everyone on here: I didn't like Portal or Portal 2's gameplay. The humor was side-splitting. But I don't like puzzles. I play every other genre, especially Turn-Based RPGs and Hack and Slashers. But not puzzles.

Sad, this looks so good too.

Augmented Conscious:
Here's hoping ZP gives Catherine a run through...

Yahtzee will hate the shit out of it. It's got anime. He'll hate it. Period. Wouldn't matter if the game dispensed blowjobs (not to say that it isn't going to inspire a massive hentai following). He hates anime with a flaming passion. Therefore, he will hate this game.

So. After reading this... well... what is there to say?

This review are bias.
You are bias.

Well, seems interesting enough to import, if also a bit tamer than I'd have thought. Although I suppose with the effect of nightmares weaving into reality, and the apparent overall weirdness factor of it, it could approach something like Chaos;Head.

Being used to visual novel gameplay (i.e. text game choices), and not much of a puzzle player anyway, I'll probably go with the easy setting initially and see if it's satisfactory. I can appreciate the idea of it adding tension and frustration to deepen the understanding of the protagonist's state of mind - which is some solid mixing of story and gameplay that we need to see more of - but from what I've seen the gameplay in itself doesn't seem inspired enough that'll I'd want to have to go through endless retries of it.

I think Catherine is scary.. No no, not the game, the girl! Why? Have you seen THAT HAIR!?

Jumplion:

The demo only let's you play on easy mode and it's still a challenge even if you play the demo a few times. Although to die you kinda have to really fuck up before the boss will get to you.

Imperator_DK:
Well, seems interesting enough to import, if also a bit tamer than I'd have thought. Although I suppose with the effect of nightmares weaving into reality, and the apparent overall weirdness factor of it, it could approach something like Chaos;Head.

Being used to visual novel gameplay (i.e. text game choices), and not much of a puzzle player anyway, I'll probably go with the easy setting initially and see if it's satisfactory. I can appreciate the idea of it adding tension and frustration to deepen the understanding of the protagonist's state of mind - which is some solid mixing of story and gameplay that we need to see more of - but from what I've seen the gameplay in itself doesn't seem inspired enough that'll I'd want to have to go through endless retries of it.

Funny you should mention retries, on easy mode (in the demo anyway) you only start with 10 retries. They aren't limitless.

hazabaza1:
Sounds good. Any sign of an EU release yet? I've searched on the google-tubes, and it seems every other result gives a different answer.
Shame, I've been looking forward to this for quite a while. It seems really good!

If this Joystiq article is to be believed, then Deep Silver will be publishing it, however there is no concrete release window yet. Which sucks.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/22/catherine-heading-to-europe-with-deep-silver/

OT: Catherine looks...um...interesting to say the least. If the puzzles are good, together with that amazing animation and crazy storyline, then I might have just found my next 'definite game to buy'. Provided it gets an EU release before next year anyway...

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Augmented Conscious:
Here's hoping ZP gives Catherine a run through...

Yahtzee will hate the shit out of it. It's got anime. He'll hate it. Period. Wouldn't matter if the game dispensed blowjobs (not to say that it isn't going to inspire a massive hentai following). He hates anime with a flaming passion. Therefore, he will hate this game.

I'm inclined to believe he'll be somewhat sympathetic towards it. From what I've seen, it's a game with an emphasis on characters and storytelling built with a single-player experience in mind. Yahtzee also favors originality and games that tackle unusual subject matter. I don't think he hates anime itself as much as he hates the anime-derived JRPG character designs (especially regarding angst-ridden teenagers in ridiculous clothing, which this game doesn't seem to have). He also likes horror (especially disturbing imagery) and surrealism, both of which this game has in abundance. Finally, he enjoys puzzles (he even liked Peggle, although grudgingly).

I mean, I can hear some of the criticisms he might have in my head already (possibly about the two types of gameplay being separated by a "wrought-iron fence made of tigers" and the "douche-bag" protagonist) but I can't see him hating it outright.

Oh yeah, I'm personally really excited to play this game myself.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here