No Right Answer: Most Deserving Remake

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Most Deserving Remake

Battletoads vs Tie Fighter - both clearly works of art above all other works. But which one deserves to be remade? Post or tweet your picks below, and the top three will get posted.

Watch Video

Yes, remake Duke Nukem Forever so that Yahtzee can review it again!

"Zero Punctuation: Duke Nukem Forever (Are you shitting me?)"

Regardless of the game choices, I am in shock that the other guy won; he actually managed to finish his drink this time.

Sorry guys, but this time there was a right answer, and it was TIE Fighter. I've been wishing they'd rerelease that for years. Or put it on Steam or GOG or something. What a game.

TIE Fighter was amazing. I'd love to see a remake of it or at least a digital release, like bojac6 said.

So why not "Battletoads vs Tie Fighter"
Anthropomorphized toads in the Star Wars Universe fighting in space ships.

I do miss the Xwing/Tie Fighter games. More so than Battletoads.

Then they can reboot Megaman, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star, and Dark Forces.

TIE Fighter needs to be remade. Metal Warriors could use a remake as well. Why not remake Day of the Tentacle while they are at it.

Do yall remember when Lucas Arts made really good games not set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?

Of the two, definitely Tie Fighter.

Nevertheless, of all games ever, definitely Final Fantasy VII. Why? Because the graphics are in the period between "charming sprites" and "nearing realism," making the whole thing quite terrible to try and play anymore.

I say neither of those games needs to be remade. Now I'd like to see Lucas Arts rerelease Day of the Tentacle on, say, Steam.

I think a remake of the old Metal Gear games for the MSX would be cool.
Mostly because with such villians as "The Machinegun Kid" (a midget with a machine gun), "The Running Man" (a guy who runs around in circles), "The Shotmaker" (a guy who... makes shots at you) and "Black Colour" (some sort of ninja) it would be hilarious, and everyone would finally shut up about how weird the Cobra unit is...

As much as I appreciate the work, the concept, and the overall effort on this show, its really hard to get past the irrevocably bad acting and missed jokes this show staggers through. I want to like it, I really do, but i twinge every few seconds at the amateur delivery of lines and jokes.

Still, at least its not the Jimquisition. (Oh look a cheap shot!)

I think they both already got their wish.

The World Ends With You. Love that game.

I think what this episode showed is that Chris needs to find something he can chug less quickly. Reasonable question, but obviously only Tie Fighter makes sense of the two as a remake.

Also, yep. In the back of my mind I was definitely thinking that DNF needed to be re-made.

They'll never get diabetes at this rate, all that water...

GonzoGamer:

Phantasy Star Online 2 is coming soon to Japan, don't know if that counts as reboot for you. Either way it looks fantastic, but as always with those japanese MMOs.. it might or might not come to the EU and US.

Battletoads? Really? I'm sorry, but that game was awful and wouldn't have a place in modern day gaming. The X-Wing games on the other hand are something that was popular and doesn't have an equal experience now that the Rogue Squadron games are basically done.

Heh, great Bruce Campbell & Nathan Fillion callback

Star Control.

I know, you've never heard of it. That's why it needs to be remade. Fantastic writing. Top notch characters. Awesome game. Has not aged well. Needs a remake.

DogOnDrugs:

GonzoGamer:

Phantasy Star Online 2 is coming soon to Japan, don't know if that counts as reboot for you. Either way it looks fantastic, but as always with those japanese MMOs.. it might or might not come to the EU and US.

I could never really get into the PSO games. Not in the same way I got into PS 1-4. If they could reboot those games with a 3d world and more interactive features (almost like Fallout 3 but with anime characters in a fantasy/sci-fi whatever you call that setting) I would be most satisfied.

Ever play Phantasy Star 4? It puts a lot of todays RPGs to shame. Those were the days when it could take you a year to finish an rpg.

As much as I like Kyle; I gotta go with Chris on this one.
Battle toads is an AWESOME game and MORE than deserves a remake.

The only other game that I can think of, would be "Leisure Suit Larry 3".

TIE Fighter, hands down. A simple release on GoG would do to be honest (along with X-Wing vs Tie Fighter). The last Star Wars flight game made (that I remember) was Jedi Starfighter back before Episode II came out. It was good, but lacked the "realism" of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games.

thenumberthirteen:
TIE Fighter, hands down. A simple release on GoG would do to be honest (along with X-Wing vs Tie Fighter). The last Star Wars flight game made (that I remember) was Jedi Starfighter back before Episode II came out. It was good, but lacked the "realism" of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games.

Yeah, it seems that LucasArts got away from the "Space Sim" market because it's an admittedly small market.

X-Wing Aliance was the last one in the series, that I'd consider on-par with the older ones. (I'm not sure when it came out, 2000 maybe?)

You played as the son/daughter of a merchant. You eventually join the rebellion, but I'd say about half of the missions were with a mini-millennium falcon (auto guns, or you could man the turrets). I liked that one way better than XvsT, because there was a story. Both could run on WinXP.

Oh yeah, the final mission has you flying the Millennium Falcon on the Death Star II run, complete with Acbar saying "It's a trap!" :-)

As for TieFighter, I recall it having a lot of settings, actually. There were even different cockpit maps for each one. I recall there not being much in the way of texture improvements for going high-res, but the models became smoother.

Does Final Fantasy 7 need to be said? Do I really need to say Final Fantasy 7?? Or is it such a Right Answer that it had to be omitted from this discussion??

I'm going to say none, there are plenty of old games that I love and would happily play through again but they don't need to be remade in order to do that. To be quite honest I'm sick of this whole taking an old franchise, remaking it, doing a sequel and rebooting the whole thing again, I just want new, original experiences.

Although I will make one concession and that would be a console game going to a handheld but even then it's not always necessary as the NES classics on the Nintendo eshop prove.

It's really not even close, TIE Fighter is one of the first and best space sims I've ever gotten into. Battletoads is just another side scrolling beat em up. I would add that the space sim genre is virtually dead, a TIE Fighter remake could really turn things around, all the kids know Star Wars, give em a chance to play one of it's best games.

Your intro music is my favorite of any show on The Escapist. Where can I download it and is there a full version? Thanks.

Can we PLEASE, PLEASE get rid of the captcha ADs? They are SUPER OBNOXIOUS, and I use all caps to show you just how horrible, horribly OBNOXIOUS, they are. Thanks.

How about Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons?
Seeing the time travel and season changes in 3d would be nothing short of mindblowing.

Moot arguments because the most deserving remake is Final Fantasy 7. I hopelessly wait for the day SquareEnix pulls their head out of their ass and remembers how to make GOOD games or at least redoes the one that was arguably their masterpiece.

misterprickly:

The only other game that I can think of, would be "Leisure Suit Larry 3".

You sir deserve a cookie.

Morrowind or Final Fantasy 7.

I miss the Jones sodas.

How about a Remake of Dino Crisis, I mean what's with all the survival horror with zombies these days, give me dinosaurs! They can drop out of vents, hunt you in packs and of course the boss has to be the T-rex! Plus the Main character was hot.

I'd love Tie Fighter to be remade but the problem is the game only works on the PC. It was not an arcade shooter like Rogue Squadron, it was supposed to be a simulation of how a fighter would work in Star Wars. From what I recall it used every damn button or close to it on the keyboard, no Wii accessory is going to let you match that. It's insane now to think of all the options it gave you while flying but it was very intuitive once you got it down, double layering your shields in front for a head on assault, then throwing all your weapons power into engines to fly away, using your targeting computer to attack specific systems while telling your wingmates to cover you from fighter support. All that is only doable with PC controls and there's little hope of Lucasarts funding a AAA quality PC only title in this day and age.

That said if it were to get remade, I would like the higher graphics and a better integrated story with voice acting for the player character like the video mentions. The game could also do with some balancing here and there, more AI flight routines, stronger capital ships where you can't blow up 3 turrets and then sit in a blindspot whittling them down with tiny fighter lasers, fighter ion cannons that can't disable a Star Destroyer in a minute. But it's a rock solid game still and it's always awesome to play a bad guy.

A remake of Oregon Trail

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or