Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I really wanted to like zelda back on the SNES but I just found the game thoroughly unlikeable. I have never understood the hype around them.

Wasn't the water temple redesigned for this game to make it less hard. So sorry Yahtzee, my twelve year old self is still smarter than you. But don't feel bad, he's probably also smarter than me.

Rapelay is the 3rd title that you put on your games pedestal? Oh Yahtzee you cad.

Skyward sword should piss you plenty since you have no option for a regular controller.

Yay! Finally! A review that doesn't give the game ample amounts of praise and instead highlights its flaws!

No, that wasn't sarcastic. Yes, I am serious.

I loved OOT as a kid, still do, but everything good needs to have negative sides to it and people saying it's not as good as it should be. I find this review rather refreshing, partially because I didn't like TP as much as everyone else.

Thank you Yahtzee. Just to reiterate, I am still not being sarcastic. This was 100% sincere.

Having just witnessed the Robin Williams advert (thanks for pointing us in it's direction) I can honestly say WTF?! He named his daughter after a video game character? I'm surprised she doesn't just punch him in the face and say "thanks dad! For the years of abuse I suffered at school..."

Well you saying that the Water Temple was easy Yahtzee means that Nintendo succeeded in doing what they said they would - make it easier. In the original I guess it's MUCH more tedious.

Fuck me, it's cold in here!

Ah, lols were had

While I respect your reviews, I don't see a problem with Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time being so similar. Every game with a library of squeals does the same thing, but so few had something promising to begin with like Zelda has. The only good qualities of Twilight Princess that were good were the qualities that were similar to OoT, so how is it a bad thing?

I don't see how the DS games were connected at all, I absolutely despised both of them because they were so inferior to the traditional formula.

SuperShadowAce:
Skyward sword should piss you plenty since you have no option for a regular controller.

If there is a god, he won't come ten feet within Skyward Sword. It's already been proven countless times that Yahtzee can't properly work a Wiimote for shit.

I also played ocarina of time and never finished it. I got stuck someone and never returned to it. Actually that happened again in a recent playthrough of a newer Zelda game. I keep telling myself to finish it but. I guess it's just the interest. There really isn't much of an incentive to play a Zelda game other than it being a Zelda game.

Kids are really picky about graphics so I don't think too many of them will buy ocarina of time if I had to guess. In fact do kids even play the Zelda games? They have always been fairly convoluted which is a turn off for a kid.

I want to see this robin williams ad now. I heard about it but I never saw it so now i'm curious.

Richardplex:

cassiebearRAWR:
I guess I do agree with Yahtzee on the "bland character/story" front, but then again, if Nintendo tries to give Link even more of a personality and back-story than in Wind Waker, we could wind up with another Other M. And I'd personally rather run around as a boring mute than have another classic Nintendo franchise so badly mishandled.

Actually, they already tried giving him a personality, and it's worse than that.
Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me....

Haha, good point.

Oh man, what a terrible show.

It's been a long time since I watched ZP and rushed for the pause button to laugh out loud, and I did that twice in this review. Good stuff.

JokerOfSpades:
Incidentally, you shouldn't knock Skyward Sword yet. Nintendo has noted that Twilight Princess would be the last game to follow the typical (OoT) formula.

In Skyward Sword:
- Dungeons are larger
- Puzzles are harder (and have more solutions)
- Combat is more puzzle-esque
- Difference between a dungeon and field is blurred
- Zelda isn't a princess
- No Ganon
- An actual stamina meter (not that big)
- You don't always have to use the dungeon item to beat the boss (huge change)

Etc.

Because all of that most definitely sounds like "whole new game" instead of "improvements on long-established formula", eh? It's a bit more like "slight variations" than full on "different formula".

That's not to say that I thought OoT was bad. I recently played the first six hours or so on a Wii. Yes, the classic version, with a Gamecube controller and those blocky craptastic graphics and audio that sounds like it was played through a toilet bowl. So the fun that I did have was not seen through nostalgia goggles. OoT definitely shows its age, but I thought the bit of it I played actually stood up really, really well. It's also the first Zelda game, 2D or 3D, that I've played for any decent amount of time, so it's quite a good game. I agree with most of what Yatzhee said about it, too. I just wish that locking on had gone through some more work to make it better.

Sooo I take it Yahtzee did NOT turn the L target into a toggle? Because yeah...that would hurt...

Lordofthesuplex:

Finally saying Call of Duty 4 is better than Goldeneye is assinine. To be honest, I wasn't that big into Goldeneye, I prefered Perfect Dark. But even I can tell you CoD isn't better than it because CoD has done nothing spectacular or innovative to deserve it's praise. It's no different than any other FPS out there or even before it. (Don't hate me for being honest)

I think it isn't fair to say X game is better because it introduced new elements and revolutionized gaming.

Do you want to know why most people think previous generation's titles were much more creative and fresh and junk? Because video gaming was younger back then, it was a new medium with rapidly growing technology and developers, and there was a lot of untouched ground. DOOM and Wolfenstien 3D were considered revolutionary because FPSes have never even been done before that point, now they're all over the place.

The games don't hold up that well today though.

It isn't like that anymore. Most of the general, broad concepts have already been established. No one's going to reinvent the wheel anymore, they're going to make automobiles.

Call of Duty 4 is better than Goldeneye because its graphics are better, its sounds are better, its gameplay is more refined, and its multiplayer component is much more compelling. This isn't opinion, its fact, and trying to convince yourself otherwise in some misguided belief that the golden age of gaming has already passed is just silly. Now, was Call of Duty 4 better than Goldeneye was back when it was released?. No, it wasn't. People need to stop clinging onto old habits purely for the sake of nostalgia and a refusal to accept change. Games are improving, building on games past.

Its quite unfortunate, but most games don't age like wine. I found a lot of difficulty going back to Deus Ex, for example, simply because... well, lets face it. That game is outdated as bollocks, and for all it introduced, many video games have already taken that concept and ran away with it. There are much better experiences today offering the same thing, and much more.

On a side note, gauging how good a game is by how much it introduced and influenced video games afterwards isn't very fair. I could tell you by that logic that Halo: Combat Evolved was one of the greatest games ever made, for example, and you would be a hypocrite to refute that.

On another side note, I think most of the praise for Call of Duty's single player campaign was its high octane, fast paced set pieces. Its been sort of done before, but never that well. Also, people fell in love with its multiplayer component. It had a similar skill reliance to games like counterstrike, and games that are valid in the competitive gaming scene gain a lot of merit with gamers.

And a last side note, I don't like that Call of Duty much either, but I can get why people do.

Delicious Anathema:
Zelda is so tired by now, even Skyward Sword seems like the same old thing over again.

They should remake Majora's Mask with a decent gameplay and flow, instead of the frustrating mess it was, because the story was there.

QFT. I think the Majora's Mask was still one of the best Zelda games, largely because it wasnt the same tiring old "save Zelda, Kick Ganon's ass" formula.

This probably has been said like a dozen times but here goes:
The water temple wasn't hard not even confusing, it was tedious, why? Beacuse on the N64 you had to pause the game every two god damn seconds to change boots or check the map, that is all there is to the water temple.

I never played any Zelda games when I was a kid. So I tried a couple of years ago with "Ocarina of time" and I was bored out of my mind.

SteelStallion:

On a side note, gauging how good a game is by how much it introduced and influenced video games afterwards isn't very fair. I could tell you by that logic that Halo: Combat Evolved was one of the greatest games ever made, for example, and you would be a hypocrite to refute that.

Halo 1 and maybe Halo 2 but not every other Halo game since then. Halo 3 pretty much jumped the shark.

Call of Duty 4 is better than Goldeneye because its graphics are better, its sounds are better, its gameplay is more refined, and its multiplayer component is much more compelling.

Really? Because I played CoD4 and other the nuke scene, I didn't see what the big deal was. But whatever I'll give you that. Can't say that applies to every CoD after it though. People go on and on about how every Mario and Zelda game is the same thing (which is bull) but they never wanna call out CoD's yearly sequels now do they?

Sober Thal:
Yes, that Robin Williams ad was a bit creepy...

I can't wait till my friend with his giant tri-force tattoo on his back watches this... he may cry.

Her name really is Zelda Williams and for that same reason. It's on Wikipedia.

OT: I agree with Yahtzee, I beat the water temple in a little bit more time than Yahtzee, and found it easy. I really don't see what everyone had trouble with xP

I guess he didn't find out you can change the L-Targeting to "switch" instead of "hold" in the options menu.

Lordofthesuplex:

SteelStallion:

Halo 1 and maybe Halo 2 but not every other Halo game since then. Halo 3 pretty much jumped the shark.

Call of Duty 4 is better than Goldeneye because its graphics are better, its sounds are better, its gameplay is more refined, and its multiplayer component is much more compelling.

Really? Because I played CoD4 and other the nuke scene, I didn't see what the big deal was. But whatever I'll give you that. Can't say that applies to every CoD after it though. People go on and on about how every Mario and Zelda game is the same thing (which is bull) but they never wanna call out CoD's yearly sequels now do they?

I only mentioned Halo: Combat Evolved and Call of Duty 4. Their sequels and spin offs are a bit mundane, yeah. Also, regardless whether or not its a big deal or not, saying Goldeneye still is to this day a better game is just silly. It's outdated, and while it was loads better than Call of Duty 4 was when it came out, that doesn't apply anymore.

Also, everyone criticizes the CoD's yearly sequels, infact I'm half expecting to wake up tomorrow to 10 people quoting me, attacking me with extreme fervor and fury towards the series. I'd actually say the same thing about Mario and Zelda.

But guess what, people still play the new Mario iterations, and the Zelda ones, and the Halo ones... Call Of Duty, everything!

People put too much weight behind "this game isn't presenting anything new, it isn't innovating, it's the same old thing etc etc."

I mean, if you expected every game to innovate, we wouldn't be getting very many games. What's wrong with a game that has almost entirely new content, but slightly refined gameplay/graphics? Granted, this is coming from someone who's probably going to buy Halo 4 on release day, but still.

Besides, its games like these that make those rare, standout titles that do actually innovate, all the more compelling :D

Lordofthesuplex:
Oh and I can name plenty of N64 games that have aged well you drunken douchebag: Sin & Punishment & Conker's Bad Fur Day for starters.

I would add Banjo-Kazooie. The popularity of the XBLA re-release after ten years demonstrates that it has aged quite well.

And what's wrong with the N64 controller, Yahtzee? Just the right number of buttons, IMHO, not like contemporary controllers that have to compensate for not being keyboards. Having the trigger underneath feels much more natural, in terms of hand position, than triggers on the shoulders. The analogue stick suffered quite badly from wear and tear, but that's more a flaw of construction than design.

What stood out to me most was the whole "Twilight Princess = Ocarina of Time +1" bit. That was the exact feeling I had playing through the game, and while it's technically better, TP just wasn't as magical to me. Though I do think OoT had better dungeons and pacing, and the final boss is still one of my favorites ever.

EDIT: crap. Accidentaly made this post again, but better.

Like Nintendo.

HEY EVERYONE, GIVE ME 60 BUCKS!

Rocketboy13:
So this was okay? I found "TP" to be taking its sweet time getting to the part to actually play, this kinda threw you into the deep end of the pool and let you swim. It isn't superior to modern gaming, but it is still good, and for its time it was game defining. Should Nintendo not sell good games of genre signiffigance?

REsell, you mean.

And no, they shouldn't.

This review gets bonus points for calling out people who say Goldeneye holds up.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but the Water Temple is far easier in the 3DS version since you switching out boots is a lot more convenient. Most of the bad rep from that dungeon is: A) Because of boot-switching, or B) becasue of Dark Link, who's arguably the hardest boos if you don't know the tricks to beat him.

I guess I'm the only one who finds the 3D on the 3DS genuinely impressive. Then again, I'm also the only one who saw Avatar several times and never pissed and moaned about the derivative story.

Finally! Someone who doesn't wrap their lips around the latest Zelda's game cock because:

"OOOH IT'S A ZELDA GAME!! LOADS LIKE THE ONE I LIKED WHEN I WAS 5!!! WOOO GIVE IT A 10/10 'CAUSE IT'S NINTENDO!!! YAY, NOSTALTIA TRIP!"

SteelStallion:

I mean, if you expected every game to innovate, we wouldn't be getting very many games. What's wrong with a game that has almost entirely new content, but slightly refined gameplay/graphics? Granted, this is coming from someone who's probably going to buy Halo 4 on release day, but still.

Then why don't you tell that to Yahtzee himself because he clearly thinks every game needs to innovate nowadays. Or at the very least, all of the Nintendo games he keeps reviewing.

We live in the age where people will complain about anything regarding video games no matter how trivial, even if it makes them look like hypocrites in the process and I can't help but think cynical assholes like Yahtzee are partially in fault for that.

I would add Banjo-Kazooie. The popularity of the XBLA re-release after ten years demonstrates that it has aged quite well.

Probably because every time I mention Banjo-Kazooie on a forum or website, it eventually downspirals into a flame-war about how much Nuts & Bolts sucked. (Yeah screw the haters, if it weren't for Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, I wouldn't even consider buying a 360 in the first place)

Ah yes, the weekly flood of people coming to the escapist and slowing it down to a snails pace.

I've never played a Zelda game though for some reason.

I've played Ocarina of Time a dozen times on the Gamecube. I recently played the original N64 version on the Wii and it is soooooooooo slow. Yes even though Zelda is my favourite series I still love to critise it.

I never had nostalgia for Ocarina of Time, but my nostalgia for Wind Waker is still strong. :D

Dfmlege:
I agree that the water temple level isn't that hard, for the exact same reason that Yahtzee mentioned. Pausing the game constantly for the iron boots was annoying, but really, that was it. Personally I found Level 7 in Oracle of Ages to be my least favorite water dungeon in the series, because of the painful swimming controls and some annoying backtracking.

No kidding. Every time some one complains about the Water Temple in OoT, I want to slap them and call them a pussy.

I never thought I'd hear Yahtzee say that word. Kinda blew my mind. You'll know what I mean when you watch the video.

Anyway, yeah I won't lie part of my love for OOT is nostalgia related, but I still think it's just simply a fun game. But maybe I'm just a thick twat ;P

I will say, though, Majora's Mask was a more interesting game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here