Gaming Ghost Towns

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Gaming Archeology ftw. This was proper interesting, cheers :)

surprised this hasn't been posted yet

This is exactly the reason I like STALKER 1 better than 3 (never played 2). It was much more open and abandoned feeling, exactly how it should be.

And also why I think Daggerfall was the best elder scrolls game. People complained it was a big empty world but I think it was the most immersive because it really drew you into the world exploration.

I did this with Tribes 2 a while back. I got nostalgic, and I decided to fire up the game and see who was online. To my surprise, there are still some active servers. I roamed my favorite (empty) map for a while, rehashing some of my more awesome moments.

I miss that game!!!

rembrandtqeinstein:

Ha that's so true. So many re-installs on my end. Play the Statue of Liberty level, that gets me my fix and I don't carry on.

OT: I loved this article. It really makes me sad that I wasn't part of the 90s multiplayer scene. It just never interested me at the time, and for the most part it still doesn't interest me today. I much prefer single player as I enjoy the overall experience of the game and the messages that they provide whereas 99% of multiplayer is deathmatch/CTF/King of the Hill.

Furthermore, it's nice to know that in 50 years I could theoretically load up Deus Ex and have a similar experience to what I had when I first played it... hmmm... 10? 11? years ago.

Sounds cool, loads more people should be doing that...wait...

Somewhat pretentious article aside, it's an odd idea. I mean, games always (ALWAYS) feature intentionally deserted areas, the concept of the Abandoned Buildings becoming abandoned is sorta cool. All sorts of thing scome to mind, except that if you did anything with them, people would want to see an un-abandon it.

thaluikhain:
Sounds cool, loads more people should be doing that...wait...

Somewhat pretentious article aside, it's an odd idea. I mean, games always (ALWAYS) feature intentionally deserted areas, the concept of the Abandoned Buildings becoming abandoned is sorta cool. All sorts of thing scome to mind, except that if you did anything with them, people would want to see an un-abandon it.

It's not just games featuring the interesting juxtaposition of abandoned buildings having a steady stream of visitors because they're abandoned.

Urbex is pretty popular nowadays.

Senor Smoke21:
I logged onto Guild Wars recently after a long time away from the game. Pretty much never saw anyone outside of the major cities. Not so much ghost towns due to the npcs but still very lonely.

I remember the outposts were like that 4 years ago, right before my old laptop lost all data and I forgot my login info. However, that only applied to low-level outposts.

As for my own little take on reliving the past, I bought Grand Theft Auto III today and played for a little while. It's uncanny how similar it is to IV, besides the poor graphics and unpolished gameplay. Cars still crash and cops still yell, so it's still fun, despite being only $10. It's like playing a Nintendo 64 classic knowing full well of the newer games on the Wii.

That was haunting. I've always held sympathies for the things that time has left forgotten, but I don't think I could intentionally do something like this. It just seems too depressing.

Quake 3 Servers were never empty.

I somewhat enjoyed that in Second Life, wandering the massively empty areas (Mainly since the populated ones would crash me) or staring at the map and seeing a lone dot somewhere and wondering what they where doing, or just who they are.

Counter-Strike 1.6 is still one of the most popular multiplayer shooters.

10 or 20 years down the line... people will still play. Just not as many.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here