The Big Tease

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Big Tease

It's the summer of superhero movie teaser trailers, and Bob takes a look at the three latest offerings.

Read Full Article

I think that you summed up the Spider-Man trailer pretty well, drab. More dark and gritty it would seem. Any interest I had in this reboot evaporated when I saw the trailer.

I agree on all of these. The only thing that saved the Batman preview from being mediocre was the fact that it was a Batman preview.

Look closely at the Spider-Man pic on page three...look at his left foot (his left foot: right side of the pic) Doesn't it look like the Spidy-costume looks like the leg/foot splits away in a style similar to a pair of stockings/ leggings? It looks like he's wearing a brown pair of Vans under the costume!

Anyway: saw all three trailers (legally) and I'll feel cheated if I Selina Kyle is in the movie as Selina Kyle and nobody else. I don't think the WB would be dumb enough to do something like THAT though.

Just saw the avengers teaser (and Captain America) about an hour ago. Having a hard time shutting down my inner fanboy for long enough for me to work out if it was any good...
Same on the Dark Knight Rises teaser.
Spiderman (sorry, The Amazing Spiderman) looks pretty meh. But now I kind of want a first person Spidey game, a la Mirror's Edge. Probably wouldn't work, but the idea seems interesting.

Shoggoth2588:
Anyway: saw all three trailers (legally) and I'll feel cheated if I Selina Kyle is in the movie as Selina Kyle and nobody else. I don't think the WB would be dumb enough to do something like THAT though.

You'd hope not. But (sadly) it wouldn't be too much of a surprise to see her become Catwoman at the end of the film just in time for a spin-off. WB need more money now that Harry Potter's done, remember? What else are you meant to fill the executive swimming pool with?

Glad I wasn't the only one who got a "cheap Mirrors Edge" vibe from that Spiderman trailer. Watching that whole thing, I can't help but say "meh" to it. It didn't exactly inspire any confidence of it being good to me.

As for the Avengers Trailer? Well... I think the fact that there is proof it exists is hype enough alone for plenty of people, so they don't mind it being a little basic. It is afterall, just a teaser, not a true trailer. That "Gods walking among us" vibe you were hoping they'd go for is most likely going to be seen with the true trailers when they are ready.

What gives me hope for The Amazing Spider-man is his goofy smile when he's talking to Gwen Stacy.

Good read. I agree with the Avengers one. It was epic.

You know what would be the best twist ever for the Avengers film

My take on the teasers:

Dark Knight Rises: This seemed more of a teaser for the first movie than the new one. And please make bane like he's supposed to be, not some drugged up version of the hulk.

Spider Man: Looks like all the issues I had with the previous movies crop up here as well. It's just doesn't feel like spider man, more like "whiny emo kid with spider powers".

Avengers: Haven't seen all the teasers (let's be honest here, that's what all those "stay for the credits" parts are. But yeah, they (and Warner as well come to think of it) REALLY need to drop the "intense/ominous music" crap out. And please, PLEASE make Hulk more like the one in the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon. He's so much more likable than the "Hulk SMASH!" that we've become accustomed to.

*sigh* The Tool song was thematically and lyrically appropriate for Steve Rogers crossing his Shadow. It was a trailer music choice that nailed a major theme of the movie and might have drawn some otherwise-uninterested kids to see this great movie. Yes, it was somewhat dissonant with the 40s throwback atmosphere of the movie. We get you don't like that. You can stop harping on it now.

People have problems with the Spider Man trailer? I thought it was fine. Although then again, I've never been a big fan of the character or any of the previous movies.

So...in otherwords.
Raise an eyebrow at no fetish clad Catwoman ad.
Laugh at the horrible reboot.
And wish for a God walks on Earth aura with trailers.

I really like Batman Begins, it's a shame no one really watched that one.

As for The Amazing Spider-man, I think they're going for the origin story again because when you think about it, that's the most interesting Spider-man story. They probably just want to take another whack at it, hopefully it'll be a good whack.

Considering the number of heroes in The Avengers I would have thought it would make sense to have only one villain.

And bloody hell, Andrew Garfield has big hair, that hardly makes him an Edward Cullen clone.

The Parker parents aren't going on a shadowy mission. They just happen to be attending the opera. With their good friends the Waynes.

Sorry, Bob, but I'm not too excited for the Avengers movie. Maybe it's because I don't read comics, but I think it's just been more fun to see each of the Avengers in their own worlds. Having a whole bunch of superheroes on-screen at once seems like it'd make things either too easy or too hard. But, like I said, I don't read comics, so maybe there's a good example of this working out perfectly that I just haven't seen yet.

And also, if no one liked the Spider Man movies, and no one liked the Spider Man musical, why are they trying to bring back Spider Man again?

The Batman one didn't bother me, mostly because it at least had a memorable visual cue in the crumbling city being shaped into the bat symbol.

Spider-Man looks AWFUL. Sony's attempts to alleviate worries also come off as half-assed. Anyone who complain about 3 also needs to realize that all of that film's problems were from the producers bullying Raimi, producers who half almost complete control over THIS project.

With the Avengers unless the villain turns out to be Deadpool just doing an epic act of trolling for lulz my interest is still nil. None of the Marvel Films movies except for the FIRST Iron Man were any good and if none of the Avengers prequels/feature-length trailers/tie-ins can interest me than the Avengers automatically doesn't.

Wow...they made Reboot Spider Man even more emo than Symbiote Spider Man. I'm impressed. Not going to see the movie. But impressed.

Incidentally, I don't care how appropriate or inappropriate it is, I cannot complain about the inclusion of Catwoman in just about any movie (except for the Halle Berry Catwoman movie, good gods that was awful, though for other reasons). I may be biased. Just possibly.

MovieBob:
Granted, it's not as obnoxious as Tool grinding over the credits of a WWII movie, but still.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way.

Batman Begins was amazing, way better than the Dark Knight, IMHO. So it's only good if the third movie returns to the roots. After all, you can't really make another DK anyway, if for nothing else, than because you won't have another Ledger getting a post-mortem Oscar. So looking back at BB actually makes sense.

Yeah the Spidey trailer wasn't great, but I'm still hopeful that it will be great. Yeah it does seem to be following the same path as GL, but to be fair, Garfeild is a huge Spidey fan, Renolds wasn't a big GL fan.

And The Batman trailer was kinda meh, okay, just nothing special. But again, Still hopeful.

Finally I haven't seen The Avengers trailer yet, but that cause I still haven't seen Captain America. SO PUMPED FOR THAT!

People tend to forget that Batman Begins wasn't a huge hit for Warner Bros. at first,

Batman Begins:
Domestic Gross: $ 205,343,774
Foreign Gross: $ 167,366,241
Total Worldwide: $ 372,710,015

Bob, for the second time, I say: you either need to stop pushing this "Batman Begins wasn't a big hit" bullshit, or explain what obscure voodoo you're using to redefine the term "hit".

Callate:

People tend to forget that Batman Begins wasn't a huge hit for Warner Bros. at first,

Batman Begins:

Bob, for the second time, I say: you either need to stop pushing this "Batman Begins wasn't a big hit" bullshit, or explain what obscure voodoo you're using to redefine the term "hit".

I think what he means is it wasn't a pop culture paradigm shifting movie the way Dark Knight was, but a lot of that can be contributed entirely to Heath Ledger, both because he played an amazingly compelling joker, to the fact of his death just before it launched. Dark Knight sort of hit the mainstream like a huge tidal force

Callate:

Batman Begins:

It was a hit, it wasn't a HUGE hit. It especially didn't do what Warner Bros. wanted it to do; i.e. being an all-encompassing smash like the Tim Burton one had been in 1989. You also have to remember that the "big story" of that year was that the whole movie season was in a "slump" where for the first time in awhile average grosses week-to-week were lower than comparable weeks the previous year, and "Begins" was widely-touted as the blockbuster that would break that streak... it didn't. In fact, the streak wasn't broken until "Fantastic Four" months later.

I've been wondering why Edward Norton isn't still the Hulk in this. Can anyone tell me why?

Wait, there was supposed to be an Avengers preview at the end of Captain America? NOW I feel ripped-off. I waited till the end and just thought they had put the after-credits before the credits this time (let's face it, when Rogers woke up it did look an awful lot like an after-credits scene).

I'm looking forward to Dark Knight Rises and Avengers, and the trailers did exactly what they were supposed to do for me: Get my little fangirl heart excited and pumping.
Spider-man is actually a tough sell for me, mainly because I never found him interesting, and the trailer did not inspire me into anything beyond tepid acknowledgement.
(I never could understand my distaste for Spidey, because I like him when he's in the Avengers titles, I really dig his supporting case, and Spider-Gil if fun, but he both in the comics and movies always bores me to tears.)
When they release their full trailers (along with Nolan's Superman Reboot), I'd be interested to read a more thorough piece on them. After poking through the archives of your blogspot, I see a lot of analysis on things here and there and a lot of geek theorizing, but a fair bit extremely outdated. If (and probably when) you do more on the upcoming movies, a bit more of that with what we know now would be fun.

I dunno Bob; in my book Tool fits for anything.

Holy crap, sleeveless Thor looks better than I expected. Very much the classical look (minus helmet which would be silly) perfect.

chinlamp:
I've been wondering why Edward Norton isn't still the Hulk in this. Can anyone tell me why?

The story going around is apparently he's can be quite difficult to work with, not sure what exactly that means but it was enough that Marvel doesn't want to work with him again.

The Camera angels on Spiderman started making me feel sick, it's like watching someone else play a video game it can be somewhat disorienting.

I thought Proto-Goblin was one of the villains for the new spider-man, and that'swhy the oscorp branding shows up. Proto-Goblin was even listed on the imdb. As the second cast member even, which makes it seem like he'll be a more major villain than the lizard

chinlamp:

I don't think he wanted to do the movie, or one of the producers didn't want him, one of the two

chinlamp:

Officially? "Creative differences and scheduling conflicts."

UN-Officially? Edward Norton, in spite of supposedly being a decent guy and a fine actor, has a reputation for being damn near impossible to work with for most productions - he's known to have a temper, to not take direction well, to insist on rewriting portions of the script (which happened on "Hulk") and otherwise involve himself with the production side whether he he's been hired to do so or not. Even at the time of his casting, it was a running industry joke that Marvel had to be nuts trying to lock him into a franchise model where stuff HAS to happen as-written and on-schedule.

Interest in spider man has indeed evaporated. In fact, getting a bit tired of super hero films and super heroes. Captain America provided a bit of entertainment, but fell down pretty heavy later on, see redlettermedia. I'm also quite tired of American super soldiers or American super men. There are some non-Americans (Thor), but it's all just getting so bland now, so predictable, the goose has been locked away and starved.

Also ads in the captcha? What a horrrible and time wasting idea. Too much advertising around here now.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here