Escape to the Movies: Cowboys and Aliens

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Cowboys and Aliens

This movie should be more fun than it is.

Watch Video

i was looking forward to this coming out, mabey i will give it a miss then

Crap, I took one look at this movie and also thought, "How could Han Solo and James Bond fighting aliens as cowboys possibly be boring?" I'm a little disappointed to learn they found a way.

But, eh, they can't all be great. At least we've got three really good superhero movies to comfort us.

Honestly, I didn't have any expectations. Sure it had Harrison Ford, but the trailers have been very 'meh'.

Skipping it for Cap tomorrow, then.

Stupid "Sold Out" showing last weekend.

Shame. I was really looking forward this one, considering it's James Bond and Indiana Jones fighting aliens while riding horses.

I remember reading this as a graphic novel and thinking it was pretty boring. I guess making it into a movie didnt improve it.

Ah what a shame and I had high hopes for it.

I'll just skip this and wait for the eventual Netflix release.

Hmm, I'll give it a look-see. In my experience, if MovieBob says it's "not bad", it usually has some kind of redeeming value.

But whether I like it or not I'll leave up to the movie to decide...

What the hell, how have I not heard of Attack the Block?

Well, anyways, I guess I'll go see this movie anyway, I mean, it's got Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig in it. How bad can it be?

Hm, I was kinda on the edge about this one. James Bond Daniel Craig & Indy Harrison Ford are awesome, but it didn't look that amazing.

It's looking like a renter now, thanks for the review.

I blame the film's writers for this.
Also, I REALLY wish I could see Attack the Block, but I don't think it's ever coming to Mexico.
Because I know that if it is, it will probably be a year from now. Trust me, it's happened.

I'm torn. On the one hand, it sounds like a bit of a snooze. On the other hand, two hours of Daniel Craig in chaps.

Hmmm....

When it stops being considered surprising movies involving the Old West are usually gonna suck, perhaps the sucky ones will stop being made. As it stands, the fact that people are age get so excited about concepts like these, that do sound like a hell of a lot of fun mind you, is way too easy to exploit. You can bet that as long as people keep going to the movies with titles this cheesy, they will just keep shoveling them out at this quality.

Aw, too bad, seemed like a winner. At least I still have cpt america.

Simply put: I don't care and I'm seeing it anyway.

What's Movie Bob's deal with the cloverfield monster, I thought it was awesome simply because it had nothing of what earth creatures would call normal. If he didn't like that he is wrong (I know I'm saying he has his own opinion, I have mine and mine is better but it's true).

Susan Arendt:
I'm torn. On the one hand, it sounds like a bit of a snooze. On the other hand, two hours of Daniel Craig in chaps.

Hmmm....

I'm in the same boat but replace Craig with Wilde. Perhaps just see the movie for the eye candy and call it a day?

This was the first movie in a while that I was actually looking forward to. Cowboys Indiana Jones and James Bond fighting aliens is boring? They must have tried to screw this one up.

marioman360:
Simply put: I don't care and I'm seeing it anyway.

This, many times this. I imagine that Bob isn't much of a western fan anyways, so he wouldn't feel as much of the magic as a devotee would .

Frank_Sinatra_:

Susan Arendt:

Hmmm....

I'm in the same boat but replace Craig with Wilde. Perhaps just see the movie for the eye candy and call it a day?

Eh, that's what On Demand is for. I'll wait. For a Wilde fix, I'll just watch Tron again. (Not that I need much excuse to do that.)

Wow, as soon as I saw the title of this movie, I knew it was going to be bad.

Faerillis:
When it stops being considered surprising movies involving the Old West are usually gonna suck

3:10 to Yuma
True Grit
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
The Proposition
All recent western films...
Westerns are awesome if done right

Also..."Then I'd have to review the Smurfs and fuck no I'm not doing that" LOL

Ah, I might go see it anyway.

Conner42:
What the hell, how have I not heard of Attack the Block?

Well, anyways, I guess I'll go see this movie anyway, I mean, it's got Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig in it. How bad can it be?

It isn't in wide release here. I had tickets to an advanced screening, but then work happened, so I couldn't go. Needless to stay, I was EXTREMELY disappointed that I couldn't see it, as it looks amazing.

Im a little bit confused. Last week when Captain America had no hidden depth it was refreshing, but this week when a IP with no real lineage comes along having chars with no hidden depth is a problem.

Im not saying Captain America is bad, or this is good (I pretty much knew C&A would be pretty mediocre when I saw the first cutout for it) But seems almost double standard-ish to me.

Well bob, I would see Attack the Block, but no movie theater listed within 50 GODDAMN MILES from me is playing it >.<

It looked really cool too, but I guess I'll be waiting for DVD release.

OT: I was hoping that cowboys and aliens would be good. Shows me for being optimistic

Eh, I let the audience speak for itself when the trailer for it first came out.
They thought it was slightly cool until the title came up then the entire theater roared with laughter and from there I decided I wouldn't see it. Nice to have your point of view though Bob.

This is the second time Attack the Block's been mentioned as a superior film to the one actually being reviewed in a given week. And yet it's without a review of its own?

On an entirely unrelated note, Captain America came out in the UK today. It was awesome

Probably worthwhile to see anyways if you were interested in it, Movie Bob's review seemed pretty subjective this week. A whole lot of 'I saw it coming', 'this character's dull', 'that wasn't interesting', etc. Nothing wrong with that as it was his experience but it leaves a whole lot of room for someone else to enjoy the movie, unlike many other reviews were there's more substantial rather than subjective flaws to point. Especially if you don't watch a lot of Westerns and aren't that familiar with the genre's character archetypes.

I was hoping for the smurfs :(

But I prefer a *living* Moviebob as opposed to a suicided one, so it's probably for the best

My mom had a feeling this would fail. Guess her spider senses haven't failed her yet.

It's probably said enough by now but: Indirectly blaming JJ Abrams on C&B being dull and bashing his stuff for the rest of the review.

Yeah...No...that's just kinda dumb.

Especially since Kurtzman and Orci are not really as much a part of Abrams' Posse but rather the Go-To Guys for just about every big blockbuster thats more about concept including, you guessed it, Transformers.

With unneeded jabs and rants like this, it's hard to take Bob seriously.

Unfortunately, most people seem to agree on what he had to say about Cowboys & Aliens.
One would think a project like this is a massive labour of love, and maybe it is, but when the product in the end just feels dull to the very people immediately sold on the premise, something gone REALLY wrong.

Sad, though.

Aw what a let down, great idea, good actors, creepy aliens, and it all gets ruined by a meh script. Shame.

Is there a reason that the "Intermission" link always seems to have to lead to LAST week's column for the first couple hours the video is up on the site?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here