Escape to the Movies: Cowboys and Aliens

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

i saw it at the midnight showing. i quite liked it.
and i don't know why he is talking about shallow characters, since in westerns, aside from the main protagonist/antagonist, the characters tend to be pretty shallow.
overall, it felt like a western movie, the aliens did not feel out of place, and i would say it is worth a watch

Okay, I don't care what anybody says: the Clover-field monster's design is cool. Unique in the way it carries itself while giving off the appearance of a possible, real life creature (albeit significantly larger than what we'd expect to be possible).

That's really all I have to say on the matter... Except maybe this:

Also, does anyone else hate the new "captcha" ads?

Whoa Whoa Whoa. Hold all your horses buddy.......how in the name of all that is good or bad have I not heard of Attack the Block yet? Is it coming over the US? I'll fly to England if I have to...

OT: Crap, I hoped this movie would be awesomely fun. I'll still probably see it, maybe not till next week though

Let me guess, Olivia Wilde is an alien ?

Frybird:
It's probably said enough by now but: Indirectly blaming JJ Abrams on C&B being dull and bashing his stuff for the rest of the review.

Yeah...No...that's just kinda dumb.

I only watched out of a morbid sense of curiosity as to whether or not he was going to ramble about the genius behind this mashup. When he got to blaming Abrams for its failure I just started laughing hysterically.

Hmm...

Bob, since you keep on mentioning jj Abrams, I'm wondering what you thought of cloverfield.

Perhaps a another question you could answer for the junk drawer?

Isnt that a pip-boy 3000 on Craig`s hand?

I went to the midnight premiere and I rather liked it. Sure, it was cliche' as all hell, but that was half the fun to me. You can call it predictable and the same old thing all you want, but when it comes down to it, the acting was God-tier, the story was solid (even if it missed a big opportunity with the native American commentary) and I enjoyed watching the characters progress. Since when has going from an amnesiac with no purpose to a man avenging the death of his wife become a bad thing?

Oh yeah, and there was an Olivia Wilde nude scene. So it has that.

What a shame, I wanted to see it.
Maybe I'll skip :/

Godavari:
Oh yeah, and there was an Olivia Wilde nude scene. So it has that.

I've been waiting for this to happen since the first episode of Dr House she starred in. Yeah.

Uh oh, the studio didn't send the bribe check to Bob this week. This review sounds just like Bob wanting another opportunity to bash Abrams for some reason.

Serious, I don't get the reviews this guy does. This was the kinda of strange, campy, action stuff he normally gushes over. I just got back from it. I thoroughly enjoyed myself with the exception of one scene that creates a whole slew of questions about Ella. Was it as good as Captain America? Will it be a timeless action movie classic? No. But it sure wasn't boring as he's claiming.

It's his inconsistency and constant self-contradiction from week to week that makes his opinion worth nearly nothing. Remember, Bob said The Last Airbender was worth seeing.

Well that's disappointing. Hey at least we have Battleship.(*sarcasm)

Also you can not pay me to see the Smurfs movie.

I don't care how good the movie is.

I will go and see Olivia Wilde in anything.

Frybird:

With unneeded jabs and rants like this, it's hard to take Bob seriously.

Unfortunately, most people seem to agree on what he had to say about Cowboys & Aliens.
One would think a project like this is a massive labour of love, and maybe it is, but when the product in the end just feels dull to the very people immediately sold on the premise, something gone REALLY wrong.

Thing is, the people agreeing with him haven't seen it. Look at the responses of the people that agree with him. They saw the trailer, their mom said they thought it would bomb, they thought it sounded interesting, it looks cool, but they haven't seen it and are just blindly agreeing. Then look at the people who say they've actually seen it.

Ah, what a shame.
You should probably review The Smurfs anyway, Bob. I'd like to see that xD

I have a completely unrelated question. Where can I find the music to the bit at the end advertising escapist material being on iTunes?

I think part of what's wrong with this movie is that the people making it new it was a silly idea that would appeal to nerds. The silliness of the premise is carefully calculated, rather than stemming from genuine craziness on the part of the writers, and the end result lacks a soul because of that. It's alternatively trying and failing at both stock Hollywood melodrama and Quentin Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez style tongue-in-cheek genre piece, when what it really needs is the authenticity of Hobo With a Shotgun (shunned by critics for being an ACTUAL grindhouse exploitation flick instead of just making clever references to them).

I don't think it was quite as bad as Bob said it was (he tends to get a chip on his shoulder about certain things) it definitely wasn't memorable enough for me to recommend it to anyone not going with friends.

this summer has SUCKED. The only legitimately good movie has been Harry Potter as all other blockbusters have just been boring, formulaic, or badly constructed. Why couldn't Batman be out THIS year?

viranimus:
Im a little bit confused. Last week when Captain America had no hidden depth it was refreshing, but this week when a IP with no real lineage comes along having chars with no hidden depth is a problem.

Im not saying Captain America is bad, or this is good (I pretty much knew C&A would be pretty mediocre when I saw the first cutout for it) But seems almost double standard-ish to me.

No, you didn't get the point of the complaint. The characters in this movie are supposed to have hidden depth, but they don't. Thats why MovieBob (perhaps unfairly, but I get the connection) brings up J.J. Abrahm's "Lost" - that series is rife with that sort of crap.

If you set up the character's story so that they have some obvious dark secret, then the secret better be um.. dark and stuff. Or a secret for starters.

Well Bob Good or bad since I now work in a theater i will be seeing this regardless.

4 words:

"Snakes on a Plane"

nuff said

Still gonna go see it. I'm going with friends who have had its release date marked in their planners, so I'm sure I'll have fun regardless of its actual entertainment value.
Helps that I tend to enjoy movies with exactly-what-it-says-on-the-tin titles.

"...John Wayne versus the Predator..."

Hot damn now I wish the Duke wasn't dead and this movie was made...

OT: It looks fun enough, maybe once the DVD is out I'll go ahead and get it. Won't waste money on the German dubbed version, though.

I'll wait for this on dvd. I wanted to see attack the block but its not playing anywhere near me :(

I fuckin knew the premise was too good to be true. I mean I did have a glimmer of hope that the crew realized the geek-value of this movie and had tried to develop it properly, but no, the world is just as evil as we are all inclined to believe.

I guess I'll check it out anyway. Olivia is enough by herself, but with insect aliens, I'm fine with a rather dull movie. At least it doesn't sound retarded like the Star Trek reboot and most of other sci-fi production these days.

THat's a shame. I was thinking of seeing that. Also, Attack the Block came out in the UK about 3 months ago but I never got to see it because the people who run the cinema are dicks. I was 15 but I needed ID and I don't have any so I never got around to seeing it. :(

Sylveria:

Frybird:

With unneeded jabs and rants like this, it's hard to take Bob seriously.

Unfortunately, most people seem to agree on what he had to say about Cowboys & Aliens.
One would think a project like this is a massive labour of love, and maybe it is, but when the product in the end just feels dull to the very people immediately sold on the premise, something gone REALLY wrong.

Thing is, the people agreeing with him haven't seen it. Look at the responses of the people that agree with him. They saw the trailer, their mom said they thought it would bomb, they thought it sounded interesting, it looks cool, but they haven't seen it and are just blindly agreeing. Then look at the people who say they've actually seen it.

I actually was referring to critics, or better said "reviewers". Especially /Film and AICN gave rather lukewarm reviews.

Dis-a-pointing. Really, truly, crushingly so (dramatically speaking). I don't know why I wanted this to be compelling and awesome (besides it being great if everything was like that; so "in particular"), but I did, and hearing it's just a bit bland and underdeveloped... Le sigh.

Maybe it'll be a little better to my not-overexposed (or "hyper-refined" if you prefer) critical sensitivity, since I only see a couple of new films at the cinema a year (with rare exceptions for series I'm following, and when I'm paid to go).

Does anyone know where I can find a large image of the Avengers composite he shows in his credits? I want that as my wallpaper!

Just saw it today. It was a fun movie, possibly because I haven't seen a lot of Westerns in my time so I wasn't COMPLETELY dulled-out by the cliches.

What really struck me was the sci-fi stuff. I dunno, maybe I've just been spoiled by Mass Effect's really realistic races and all the science I've read about space-faring species. But damn, everything about the aliens in this movie was COMPLETELY unrealistic. See below for a brief list of some of the unrealistic BS I was able to pinpoint:

I agree with whoever mentioned the double standard involved with character development. Captain America no character development = good, Cowboys & Aliens no character development = bad? What gives Bob?

canadamus_prime:
Ah, I might go see it anyway.

See this is why Hollywood continues to make crap, you "might go to see it anyway". If we continue to support movies with hype and no substance, then Hollywood won't learn anything.

Dull is the perfect word to discribe this movie thanks Movie Bob.

therockdemon:
i was looking forward to this coming out, mabey i will give it a miss then

NaramSuen:
This was the first movie in a while that I was actually looking forward to. Cowboys Indiana Jones and James Bond fighting aliens is boring? They must have tried to screw this one up.

Armored Prayer:
Ah what a shame and I had high hopes for it.

I'll just skip this and wait for the eventual Netflix release.

Im sorry ladies and gentleman. I love movie Bob but he is wrong about this movie (for the most part). While they could have done a better job selling some of the plot lines, this was some of the most fun Ive had in a movie in a while. The action, punch lines, and characters were great( - Olivia Wilds character unfortunately). It even had moments that kept you at the edge of ur seat due to the suspense. I loved Captain America but the one thing the movie lacked for me was an action moment that you could leave with and say "That was awesome". Cowboys & Aliens had several. Trust me and see this.

General Vengeance:

canadamus_prime:
Ah, I might go see it anyway.

See this is why Hollywood continues to make crap, you "might go to see it anyway". If we continue to support movies with hype and no substance, then Hollywood won't learn anything.

Dull is the perfect word to discribe this movie thanks Movie Bob.

And yet if I avoided movies just because some douche with a stick up his ass says it's bad then I wouldn't see very many movies, and I already don't see very many movies.

Also:

Mister Linton:
I agree with whoever mentioned the double standard involved with character development. Captain America no character development = good, Cowboys & Aliens no character development = bad? What gives Bob?

I've really begun to question Bob's credibility.

Yes Bob, it's a real thing. That was apparent the last hundred times you brought it up in every other article or video. Thank goodness you kept this week's announcement relegated to a footnote.

Sucks to hear about the movie being boring. Crying shame. They shouldn't have gone wrong with a Western Predator hybrid. For goodness sake.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here