Diablo III Hands On

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Diablo III Hands On

There's something about this game that just clicks.

Read Full Article

Sweet. This isn't my thing, but it makes me very happy about the near future for RPGs.

They're Blizzard. Somehow, they do this thing.

Every time Snu Snu leveled up she gained access to skills like "Cleave" and "Ground Stomp." Soon I had four or five different abilities, but only three slots to equip them in.

Oh god. Oh god. I think I'm going to be sick.

Clarify please. For the love of all that is holy, please tell me that you don't just automatically acquire all the skills and spells for your class as you level up. And if so, please tell me that you at least gain ranks in each of these skills/spells to grow them in power the more you use them (ala Morrowind).

And please, please don't tell me that this isn't the case, and that all of the characters of the same class will end up exactly the same at end-game save for some simple rune choices. I might just burn down an orphanage.

Snu Snu? Really?

grimner:
Snu Snu? Really?

I found it clever in a cheesy, pelvis crushing, mind is willing but the flesh is spongy and bruised kinda manner.

Xzi:

Every time Snu Snu leveled up she gained access to skills like "Cleave" and "Ground Stomp." Soon I had four or five different abilities, but only three slots to equip them in.

Clarify please. For the love of all that is holy, please tell me that you don't just automatically acquire all the skills and spells for your class as you level up. And if so, please tell me that you at least gain ranks in each of these skills/spells to grow them in power the more you use them (ala Morrowind).

And please, please don't tell me that this isn't the case, and that all of the characters of the same class will end up exactly the same at end-game save for some simple rune choices. I might just burn down an orphanage.

Yep, classes just gain skills on level up, no powerups or anything besides the "rune" system. The skill tree wasn't complicated, it wasn't hard to understand, Blizzard is just serving the lowest denominator of IQ.
Which is why they removed the ability for Witch Doctors to interact with their summonable minions with spells, because the people who wouldn't give a rats arse about it and wouldn't use it anyways, wouldn't immediately catch onto it. Never mind the fact that they could of put that functionality into the skill description, hell that's what they are doing in WoW now. Because clearly "Heal" needs to be clarified as a spell you use to heal people.

Gus Mastrapa:

There's something about this game that just clicks.

ahaha. I'm a sucker for terrible puns

DEATH BY SNU SNU.

I haven't been very interested in Diablo 3 ever since I learned it was online only. Guess I'll just wait and see how the reviews turn out.

cursedseishi:

Xzi:

Yep, classes just gain skills on level up, no powerups or anything besides the "rune" system. The skill tree wasn't complicated, it wasn't hard to understand, Blizzard is just serving the lowest denominator of IQ.
Which is why they removed the ability for Witch Doctors to interact with their summonable minions with spells, because the people who wouldn't give a rats arse about it and wouldn't use it anyways, wouldn't immediately catch onto it. Never mind the fact that they could of put that functionality into the skill description, hell that's what they are doing in WoW now. Because clearly "Heal" needs to be clarified as a spell you use to heal people.

Christ sake. Hold on a second while I go get a barf bucket.

Okay, back. Well, guess it's time to pre-order Torchlight 2 then. I can't believe I had any faith left in Blizzard after they were acquired by Activision. All of my favorite developers are fast circling the drain thanks to these mega-publishers. The soul of the gaming industry is being mercilessly ripped out. >:(

"Sucked in" my ass. Diablo 2 sucked me in because there was some depth there, along with all the stuff that supposedly makes Diablo 3 great.

EH, I am not sold on D3. The impression I get is that there are more amusing new and old games out there. Maybe not as polished but much more lively.

I would be happy to be proved wrong but this is not a buy at launch title for me.

Yeah, no. Every little bit of info on this game I hear, the further I am removed from wanting to play it. 3 skils? Hahahahaha.

Great.. more of a reason not to buy this T.T" like the legal chinese gold farmers wasn't bad enough.

The wait for Diablo III drives me crazy!

Metalhandkerchief:
Yeah, no. Every little bit of info on this game I hear, the further I am removed from wanting to play it. 3 skils? Hahahahaha.

In the full game you will have accsess to 6 active skills at a time and 3 passive ones.

I understand people not liking the Auction House and the DRM thing but this is no reason to hate the whole game.
Personally, If this game will not be the best Hack & Slash RPG so far in term of gameplay I will be very suprised.

Edit: Also I want to point out that Diablo 2 have a massive market for buying in game items for real money, the only difference is that in Diablo 2 the buyer had to go to sites unrelated to Blizzard that might steal his money while in Diablo 3 its a safe deal.

Oh, so all the customization I was actually praising (yes, for fuck's sake, praising, one of the rare times I do this) Blizzard for is now gone. Now ain't that a surprise. Now nobody can say pandering to the lowest common denominator doesn't affect the gameplay.

NooNameLeft:
Personally, If this game will not be the best Hack & Slash RPG so far in term of gameplay I will be very suprised.

Um, yeah. That's because topping Diablo 2 in terms of gameplay is not a hard target to shoot for.

If this manages to suck gameplay wise, it's going to be the last Blizzard buy for me. I'll be damned if I never get to experience another good hack'n'slash.

I don't understand the whining. The auction house is optional and this game will have more active skills than D2. so what's the big deal?

I wonder if the enjoyment to be had in this game will still be about finding party members. The past Diablo games had interesting mechanics, but it really wasn't worth playing to me without friends.

Considering me and my friends are much older now and have other responsibilities, part of me wonders if there is any worth in getting this game if it follows the same hitch as its predecessors...

Trine and Left 4 Dead are party oriented too, but they are the sort of games that you can just have some random guy jump in with you if need be...Diablo is a more intimate month long trek...least thats how I remember it...

The only clicks I'm hearing are those of people canceling preorders.

WabbitTwacks:
I don't understand the whining. The auction house is optional and this game will have more active skills than D2. so what's the big deal?

Yeah, that's the problem. Everybody will have all of the active skills for the class they're playing. Which means your Witch Doctor will be 100% indistinguishable from random dude #3864's Witch Doctor at max level.

While there may have only been three or four truly powerful builds per character class in Diablo 2, it's still a damn sight better than that.

WabbitTwacks:

Oh it is 'Cool' to hate on things Popular. Blizzard is Very Popular. So is Activision. Therefore, popular is bad and any game that must come from either developer will be bad. All because it is the popular thing to do.

As far as I can tell they are just a bunch of fuckin' morons. However that is just me, they have yet to play it and are just bitching just to bitch. A normal mind would say 'Wait until the game has been released before using any Judgement or hatred upon the game' however that is called the brain. Most don't seem to have them nowadays.

paketep:
The only clicks I'm hearing are those of people canceling preorders.

Exactly what I did. Going for Torchlight 2 instead-- the always on drm and lack of mod support is what turned me away. I don't object to the market, but I wonder how useful the in-game gold market will turn out to be.

Not to say I won't buy it, but not the Collector's Edition I had pre-ordered, and after release.

Kahunaburger:
Sweet. This isn't my thing, but it makes me very happy about the near future for RPGs.

Why?

Sorta like saying that playing soccer on concrete made out of spikes isn't your thing cause you don't like soccer but are happy for its direction.

I mean, his general message was "Diablo was great, therefore I don't care about the system flaws" (or whatever you want to call DRM and such), you're saying that Diablo isn't your thing. Which is understandable, but I don't get your perspective if you say it makes you happy for the near future of RPGs, unless you're stocked for the DRM and micro transactions maybe?

(I'm sincerely confused. Not just being a dick)

Captain Placeholder:

WabbitTwacks:

Oh it is 'Cool' to hate on things Popular. Blizzard is Very Popular. So is Activision. Therefore, popular is bad and any game that must come from either developer will be bad. All because it is the popular thing to do.

As far as I can tell they are just a bunch of fuckin' morons. However that is just me, they have yet to play it and are just bitching just to bitch. A normal mind would say 'Wait until the game has been released before using any Judgement or hatred upon the game' however that is called the brain. Most don't seem to have them nowadays.

Other than your mistake calling it 'normal' to be tolerant (which was clearly just misphrasing), I very much like you good sir.

Kurokami:

Kahunaburger:

Why?

Sorta like saying that playing soccer on concrete made out of spikes isn't your thing cause you don't like soccer but are happy for its direction.

I mean, his general message was "Diablo was great, therefore I don't care about the system flaws" (or whatever you want to call DRM and such), you're saying that Diablo isn't your thing. Which is understandable, but I don't get your perspective if you say it makes you happy for the near future of RPGs, unless you're stocked for the DRM and micro transactions maybe?

(I'm sincerely confused. Not just being a dick)

Because I like other RPGs. Diablo III being a good game and doing well means two things to me:

A) Inspiration for other RPG devs in terms of mechanics and gameplay*,

B) The suits see RPGs making money and are more likely to okay RPGs in the future, especially if other RPGs coming out this year are also successful.

So even if it isn't my thing and I have absolutely no intention of playing it, I can still root for it because a year from now if successful it will be part of a "RPGs sell" narrative being aimed at developers.

*Edit: and I don't see the concept of micro-transactions being that workable for someone who isn't Blizzard and doesn't already have the infrastructure to handle it.

I don't understand why people NEED to have every character different from one another, the reality there are only a few builds that are the best for any class. Thus they only way you can have a "different" character is to have an under powered one. What your makes your character in Diablo was never the skills but the equipment you had on it. And from the description it lets you reset those skills whenever so no more grinding forever and forever to perfect a build.

Kahunaburger:

Because I like other RPGs. Diablo III being a good game and doing well means two things to me:

B) The suits see RPGs making money and are more likely to okay RPGs in the future, especially if other RPGs coming out this year are also successful.

So even if it isn't my thing and I have absolutely no intention of playing it, I can still root for it because a year from now if successful it will be part of a "RPGs sell" narrative being aimed at developers.

*Edit: and I don't see the concept of micro-transactions being that workable for someone who isn't Blizzard and doesn't already have the infrastructure to handle it.

But that's Kurokami's point.

If Diablo 3 does well, then what will be OK'd will be more Diablo-clones. If Diablo is not your thing, then a Diablo-clone will also not be your thing. Therefore, you should be unhappy about the future of RPGs... lol.

Must. Have. Beta. Key.

EdwardOrchard:

Kahunaburger:

But that's Kurokami's point.

If Diablo 3 does well, then what will be OK'd will be more Diablo-clones. If Diablo is not your thing, then a Diablo-clone will also not be your thing. Therefore, you should be unhappy about the future of RPGs... lol.

Except it's not just Diablo doing well - in the best-case scenario, it's Diablo, Skyrim, Witcher 2, Human Revolution, Mass Effect 3, etc doing well. That paints a different picture from a publisher's perspective than just Diablo doing well.

excuse me? are they destroying the thing that made diablo II my favorite game of all time? they have chopped down the talents tree??!?!?! whhhhhhhyyyyyy!!!! diablo II was a great game because of that. there was not ONE good build, there were serveral. each character had like 25 abilities, but you only focused on 2 or 3. there was huge customasation in gameplay and they took it away? please don't let it be. i'm already waiting for a diablo III for years, but now they are raping it.

blackdwarf:
excuse me? are they destroying the thing that made diablo II my favorite game of all time? they have chopped down the talents tree??!?!?! whhhhhhhyyyyyy!!!! diablo II was a great game because of that. there was not ONE good build, there were serveral. each character had like 25 abilities, but you only focused on 2 or 3. there was huge customasation in gameplay and they took it away? please don't let it be. i'm already waiting for a diablo III for years, but now they are raping it.

I agree. I've made so many Diablo characters BECAUSE I wanted to try out all of the talent tree builds.

cursedseishi:

Captain Placeholder:

WabbitTwacks:

Hi Captain Dickface, see I can talk just like a dumb fucker like you.

Unpleasantries aside, my issue with this game (and what has me not being as interested in it) isn't the gameplay. I simply do not trust this whole paid auction house system to work well. If people already trust some 3rd party site enough to use it, they'll likely keep using it even when this comes out. That's because no one wants to shell out some real money just to post an item that they don't know will sell or not. A normal-currency system would of been just fine, and if they really felt the need to use a real-$ AH, could of just used gold for the posting fees as well. Being allowed to buy gold with real money isn't going to go over to well on the normal Auction House side either, because there is a very real chance of this inflating in-game costs for items.
The only actual gameplay complain I really have right now, is the crafting portion. It wasn't necessary to begin with, and its almost useless based on what has been mentioned about it. Why turn 10 items into materials, if its only to make 1 new item that is completely random as well? You'd be much more likely to benefit from just outright selling the items, for either gold or cash if you can get away with the latter.

A "normal" mind wouldn't start calling others idiots and bitches just because their opinion differs from yours, no matter the reason, it would either just ignore them or respect their opinions and disagree civilly.

They DO need to reconsider inflation...
The crafting portion seems like fun to me. It works much like the horadric cube from D2 except you don't have to gather a bunch of specific items. You just break down items you have to make new ones. The crafting would keep me entertained in the long-term and during leveling as a peripheral. Besides they may release unique items that can't be sold on AH by crafting. Who knows? too early to tell.

And to the Capt. ... yeah nobody is a "fuckin moron" because they don't agree with some of the games mechanics... it's just a playing preference.

I never doubted that the game was gonna kick ass(say what you will, Blizzard makes good games), but I'm still not gonna get it. Constant internet connection and no mods was an ass move.

cursedseishi:

Captain Placeholder:

WabbitTwacks:

Hi Captain Dickface, see I can talk just like a dumb fucker like you.

Unpleasantries aside, my issue with this game (and what has me not being as interested in it) isn't the gameplay. I simply do not trust this whole paid auction house system to work well. If people already trust some 3rd party site enough to use it, they'll likely keep using it even when this comes out. That's because no one wants to shell out some real money just to post an item that they don't know will sell or not. A normal-currency system would of been just fine, and if they really felt the need to use a real-$ AH, could of just used gold for the posting fees as well. Being allowed to buy gold with real money isn't going to go over to well on the normal Auction House side either, because there is a very real chance of this inflating in-game costs for items.
The only actual gameplay complain I really have right now, is the crafting portion. It wasn't necessary to begin with, and its almost useless based on what has been mentioned about it. Why turn 10 items into materials, if its only to make 1 new item that is completely random as well? You'd be much more likely to benefit from just outright selling the items, for either gold or cash if you can get away with the latter.

A "normal" mind wouldn't start calling others idiots and bitches just because their opinion differs from yours, no matter the reason, it would either just ignore them or respect their opinions and disagree civilly.

I didn't insult anyone because there opinions are different. I am just saying that it is moronic to go about saying the game will suck absolutely and saying that it will be bad just because it is being created by a single corporation aka making the 'opinion' and absolute truth. Nor was I calling anyone a bitch, all I was saying was that people (In general) were bitching, which they were. Much like you are doing now.

And much like the other person who had quoted me, the Normal thing was just a misphrasing.

And after saying something like, "Hi Captain Dickface, see I can talk just like a dumb fucker like you." you will most likely be reported and maybe suspended. Have fun :P

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here