Diablo III Hands On

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

mptothedc:

And to the Capt. ... yeah nobody is a "fuckin moron" because they don't agree with some of the games mechanics... it's just a playing preference.

I will point you to the newest post I made, please read it.

Captain Placeholder:

cursedseishi:

Captain Placeholder:

Oh it is 'Cool' to hate on things Popular. Blizzard is Very Popular. So is Activision. Therefore, popular is bad and any game that must come from either developer will be bad. All because it is the popular thing to do.

As far as I can tell they are just a bunch of fuckin' morons. However that is just me, they have yet to play it and are just bitching just to bitch. A normal mind would say 'Wait until the game has been released before using any Judgement or hatred upon the game' however that is called the brain. Most don't seem to have them nowadays.

Hi Captain Dickface, see I can talk just like a dumb fucker like you.

Unpleasantries aside, my issue with this game (and what has me not being as interested in it) isn't the gameplay. I simply do not trust this whole paid auction house system to work well. If people already trust some 3rd party site enough to use it, they'll likely keep using it even when this comes out. That's because no one wants to shell out some real money just to post an item that they don't know will sell or not. A normal-currency system would of been just fine, and if they really felt the need to use a real-$ AH, could of just used gold for the posting fees as well. Being allowed to buy gold with real money isn't going to go over to well on the normal Auction House side either, because there is a very real chance of this inflating in-game costs for items.
The only actual gameplay complain I really have right now, is the crafting portion. It wasn't necessary to begin with, and its almost useless based on what has been mentioned about it. Why turn 10 items into materials, if its only to make 1 new item that is completely random as well? You'd be much more likely to benefit from just outright selling the items, for either gold or cash if you can get away with the latter.

A "normal" mind wouldn't start calling others idiots and bitches just because their opinion differs from yours, no matter the reason, it would either just ignore them or respect their opinions and disagree civilly.

I didn't insult anyone because there opinions are different. I am just saying that it is moronic to go about saying the game will suck absolutely and saying that it will be bad just because it is being created by a single corporation aka making the 'opinion' and absolute truth. Nor was I calling anyone a bitch, all I was saying was that people (In general) were bitching, which they were. Much like you are doing now.

And much like the other person who had quoted me, the Normal thing was just a misphrasing.

And after saying something like, "Hi Captain Dickface, see I can talk just like a dumb fucker like you." you will most likely be reported and maybe suspended. Have fun :P

I fully intend to play Diablo 3 online so the DRM doesn't bother me at all in the same way that being unable to play a MMO offline doesn't bother me. I also won't be upset if Battlefield 3 ends up having this type of DRM for the same reasons; I'm buying the game to play it online. Now if Skyrim or Mass Effect 3 had this type of DRM then I'd think about being upset over it.

The optional real world money auction house seems like a really interesting way to combat the third party gold/loot selling market. I'm really interested in seeing how it goes.

As for the issue of skills and everyone being the same; I'm not seeing it. Loot is still going to be a huge factor in character/player uniqueness; everyone isn't going to be running around wit the same stuff. Each character will be able to equip 6 active and 3 passive skills at once; unless you're trying to suggest that each class will only have 6 total active skills (which I really doubt), there's still going to be differences between each character in which skills they use. Even IF everyone used the same skills, multiply those 6 skills by however many runes there are (I'm going to guess 6, don't know for sure), and you've got 36 different character build combinations per class. And, like I said, that's assuming there aren't more than 6 skills per class, which I doubt because it would defeat the entire purpose of having limited skill slots to begin with.

Odlus:

I agree with this entirely... Yes Blizzard makes some stupid choices with their games from time to time but they still end out being good. If I recall correctly there were also countless complaints about just about every design decision that was announced for Starcraft 2, and yes there are people who don't like it/hate it but it is still a solid game. Same thing will happen with Diablo 3 when it launches as well, plenty of people will complain but there are also plenty of people that will ignore what they don't like and just play the game.

So many acting so proud, so cock-sure, prancin aboot with their mouth full of some indie Diablo clone, a random JRPG, or some other crap like (insert anything from EA)

But lets meet in 6 months from now and see how many of them endured the hardships and the bullying in schools, at work, in kindergartens, and didn't end up buying evil Diablo.

I could get them full time job as a circus freak, or a cavemen no problemo.
So they can finally get that awesome $40 axe of slaying from the AH :)

Yeah, okay. "Forget everythin', dis game is awesome! Lolol!"

How about no. How about I disregard a game regardless for how good it MIGHT be, buy a game that is exactly the same and don't support a company that is full of scum that ruin this medium day by day. Blizzard makes good games. Well, big news there, aren't they? Funny thing though - Blizz makes good games, Activision kills them by milking its consumer base. We get sucked in by the first, the latter laughs in our faces out of victory.

Just putting some actual info into this thread because there's a lack of it so far.

By level 30, you will be able to choose 6 active skills (out of around 20ish) and 3 passive skills out of 15. (unknown if you will learn all the skills by level 30) As well as runes on each skill, of which there are 5 different types and 7 levels per rune (which go all the way up to hell difficulty). Those runes can completely change the effects of skills. There are more possible (and viable) character builds in Diablo 3 than Diablo 2 and that's a fact. People can bitch all they like, and hell they do, but its all bullshit.

I think the most shocking thing I've gleaned from this whole thing is that there are apparently MANY more "hardcore gamers" (or hardcore enough to complain about an upcoming feature of an unreleased game on a videogame blog/forum) that played Diablo 2 and want to play Diablo 3 singleplayer/offline.

seditary:
Just putting some actual info into this thread because there's a lack of it so far.

By level 30, you will be able to choose 6 active skills (out of around 20ish) and 3 passive skills out of 15. (unknown if you will learn all the skills by level 30) As well as runes on each skill, of which there are 5 different types and 7 levels per rune (which go all the way up to hell difficulty). Those runes can completely change the effects of skills. There are more possible (and viable) character builds in Diablo 3 than Diablo 2 and that's a fact. People can bitch all they like, and hell they do, but its all bullshit.

Where's this info from?

I'd be interested in having some elaboration to the whole "Those runes can completely change the effects of skills" thing.

Those who whine about lack of skill variety probably has not heard of Hammerdins.

D2 has a lot of skills per class, but there are just some "useless" skills that are not worth getting (point in them because they're prerequisites). Still holding out judgement on this one. Hope they deliver on the "all skills are viable" promise.

One the one hand, I am extremely dubious at the long Dev Time for D3, and I even wonder at its relevance in a post-WoW world. I am very worried the DN:F phenomenon is going to occur, and that the only thing that would draw me to it would be the nostalgia of a game I had been playing from the first installment when my facial hair was beginning to thicken.

On the other hand...it IS Blizzard, and they have proven that if there's one horse in the stable that you can bet on to not miss, it's them. Although I have to admit [braces self] that I didn't enjoy SC2 as ravenously as the original, I still think they can pull it off.

P.S.

Although the randomization has ALWAYS been a nice thing about D2, I see you mentioned a teleport from town to your fellows in an encounter...and I choose the word fellows as it seems D3 will be taking a few notes from LotRO, my favorite MMO through a tough process of distillation. Well done, D3, well done. Let's see what else ya got.

Good thing we have Path of Exile to look forward to. Closed beta starts 10th august AWW YEAH. Don't think I'll buy diablo 3 now that there's RLMAH and rainbows, as there's grim dawn and path of exile as better alternatives.

This shinning review just makes it sadder that they basically handing over the economy of the game over to RMT groups.

There is a lot of great games on the horizon and Diablo 3 won't be getting my money if the RMAH is implemented.

I'm simply not willing to play a game in which anyone can use real world currency to buy an advantage.

Olrod:
I'd be interested in having some elaboration to the whole "Those runes can completely change the effects of skills" thing.

Here's a video to explain how they work:

Basically, you equip runestones to the skills themselves, and it alters the skill. The runestones have varying levels, which in turn will alter the skill more and presumably make it more powerful.

OT: I'd rather not have the "always on DRM", but I guess I can always run through the SP online by my self. I'll be doing at least one play through for the story itself. Then it's on to character test builds, gear gathering, and PvP.

Oh, Diablo, you addictive bastard.

fundayz:
This shinning review just makes it sadder that they basically handing over the economy of the game over to RMT groups.

There is a lot of great games on the horizon and Diablo 3 won't be getting my money if the RMAH is implemented.

It won't be getting my money either, and the RMAH is not the only reason. The always on DRM, and the fact that no mods will be in the game. It's nice to know that Blizzard likes to ignore one of the very things that made D2 last so long.

animehermit:

It won't be getting my money either, and the RMAH is not the only reason. The always on DRM, and the fact that no mods will be in the game. It's nice to know that Blizzard likes to ignore one of the very things that made D2 last so long.

Not to mention that they are pretty much forsaking PvP too.

Not balancing PvP is bad enough, but allowing people to buy gear with real currency and then use it in PvP is downright ridiculous.

BirdieARPG:
Good thing we have Path of Exile to look forward to. Closed beta starts 10th august AWW YEAH. Don't think I'll buy diablo 3 now that there's RLMAH and rainbows, as there's grim dawn and path of exile as better alternatives.

Here's their producer's stand on buying items with real world currency:

Chris Wilson - "We won't be selling any form of power in the game, only aesthetic improvements, so if you're fighting someone you know they earned their place the hard way."

Personally, as a WOW player, I kinda wish Blizzard had started to sell gold themselves a long time ago, as I'm sick of the badly spelled scam whispers, emails, websites and spammy messages in the cities of the game.

However, I can foresee one big problem.

Anyone who's played WOW or even more so, diablo 2, knows there's a fairly sizable proportion of the player base who's more than happy to screw over an entire group after a few hours play just to steal an item they don't really need.

How much worse is this going to be if it's worth $10 or more? how often are you going to see an epic drop, know it's worth about $150 at the Auction House and see the whole group going 'no, no, you take it, I don't need it, it doesn't suit my class or playstyle'.

I just foresee it getting a lot harder to be the nice guy, hen it's costing you real money each time.

I'll play the game first (I am bound to know someone who will buy it) and then decide. I did the same thing with Diablo 1 and 2 so it should work out fine for me.

Just gonna put this out there, but pretty much everyone who wants D3 should be getting Torchlight 2 instead. LAN play, crazy high co-op numbers, no stupid DRM. It will basically be more Diablo than Diablo.

SenseOfTumour:
Personally, as a WOW player, I kinda wish Blizzard had started to sell gold themselves a long time ago, as I'm sick of the badly spelled scam whispers, emails, websites and spammy messages in the cities of the game.

However, I can foresee one big problem.

Anyone who's played WOW or even more so, diablo 2, knows there's a fairly sizable proportion of the player base who's more than happy to screw over an entire group after a few hours play just to steal an item they don't really need.

How much worse is this going to be if it's worth $10 or more? how often are you going to see an epic drop, know it's worth about $150 at the Auction House and see the whole group going 'no, no, you take it, I don't need it, it doesn't suit my class or playstyle'.

I just foresee it getting a lot harder to be the nice guy, hen it's costing you real money each time.

You only see the loot you can take. As in its yours, noone else can see or take the loot you see drop.

Ah yes, the perfect cash printing machine - Diablo 3. Real cash fee for putting an item on Auction House, real cash transaction fee for selling the item and real cash fee for cashing out once you gather a nice sum. Hurray.

The advertised PvP aspect of the game? Well, it just went to hell and snug itself between devils buttcheeks. You can't have competitive PvP if You "buy power" through RMT. Diablo is not and never was a game of skill, it's game of gear. Want to win in PvP - shell out few hundreds bucks. Hurray.

Playing for enjoyment? Sucks to be You. Because everyone and their stuffed hamster will be just playing for items they hope to sell. Voluntary slave labour to make Blizzard more money, plus a big "welcome" sign for all the Asian gold-farming companies. After all the AH even allows for selling/buying in game gold. Hurray.

Then again, the dream of many rabid fanbois will come true, after all they will all be "working' for Blizzard, grinding their butts of trying to get a sweet epix for sale. Win-win isn't it?

Xzi:

cursedseishi:

Xzi:

Oh god. Oh god. I think I'm going to be sick.

Clarify please. For the love of all that is holy, please tell me that you don't just automatically acquire all the skills and spells for your class as you level up. And if so, please tell me that you at least gain ranks in each of these skills/spells to grow them in power the more you use them (ala Morrowind).

And please, please don't tell me that this isn't the case, and that all of the characters of the same class will end up exactly the same at end-game save for some simple rune choices. I might just burn down an orphanage.

Yep, classes just gain skills on level up, no powerups or anything besides the "rune" system. The skill tree wasn't complicated, it wasn't hard to understand, Blizzard is just serving the lowest denominator of IQ.
Which is why they removed the ability for Witch Doctors to interact with their summonable minions with spells, because the people who wouldn't give a rats arse about it and wouldn't use it anyways, wouldn't immediately catch onto it. Never mind the fact that they could of put that functionality into the skill description, hell that's what they are doing in WoW now. Because clearly "Heal" needs to be clarified as a spell you use to heal people.

Christ sake. Hold on a second while I go get a barf bucket.

Okay, back. Well, guess it's time to pre-order Torchlight 2 then. I can't believe I had any faith left in Blizzard after they were acquired by Activision. All of my favorite developers are fast circling the drain thanks to these mega-publishers. The soul of the gaming industry is being mercilessly ripped out. >:(

"Sucked in" my ass. Diablo 2 sucked me in because there was some depth there, along with all the stuff that supposedly makes Diablo 3 great.

Blizzard functions separately from Activision. Any and all decisions relating to the game's design is solely on Blizzard's part.

The change to character customization blows, big time. The difference in skill effects based on runes (as seen in the rune video) is not large enough to re-roll a character (heck you can switch runes at will anyway) and it takes away a HUGE part of the game for those of us who liked playing through it as different characters and builds.

There were not just a few viable builds in D2....there were a ton!! I personally came up with a few unique (when I came up with them) builds like the hybrid trap/kicker assassin etc, and the number of fun builds that could make it through the game was quite large. I played for thousands of hours building different characters and rarely if ever bothered with PvP.

D3 seems to be taking almost any reason to replay a character class over again out of the game. Basically get a character to max level and you'll have the skills but will just have to choose which ones you have active, and what runes you'll use....all of which can be changed at will in game. No reason to ever make two different witch doctors for instance. 1 character of each class is all you'll ever need which DRASTICALLY reduces the longevity of the game. Even pvp involved trying different builds and setups in D2. Perhaps equipment might give some incentive to keep playing but it shifts the focus from building characters and trying new combo's to just looking for loot.

I LOVED the character customization in d2. Heck almost every skill could be used as a primary means of killing, or at least used through normal and nightmare difficulty. I finished Nightmare with ravens as my main method of killing for instance, with inferno etc etc. That was a large part of the fun in d2 for me, getting each of the skills to be as effective as possible and attempting to go as far as possible using it as a primary method of killing.

I really, really hope they don't ruin d3 by taking out all the customization. It's not WoW....a game that to me is pointless because your just following the exact same path as thousands of others before you. I enjoyed finding my own path in D2, creating my own set of powers and augmenting them with equipment etc. Don't take away my choices or I'll feel like I'm just walking through a game and will have almost no reason to replay it (just once as each character type basically). You'll make the game go from entertaining me for thousands of hours to probably less then 100....and I will be very very sad.

Did I just read a commercial - normally I change the channel when commercials come up in the TV...

I have a very simple rule when it comes to buying games that have controversial features: does it effect my enjoyment of the game? My computer is always connected to the internet, the auction house is completely optional and i've never liked D2's PvP (Diablo has always been a co-op multiplayer game to me) so other players purchasing items for real money doesn't effect me at all. So far, there is nothing negative that will stop me from enjoying the game just as much as if they weren't there. (not that i'm saying PvP players and people without access to the internet at all times shouldn't be upset)

After reading this, i'm more excited to play this then ever. Please, Blizzard, just hurry up and release it! (although not too close to Skyrim, or I think my friends and family might miss me after I don't leave the house for a few months.)

Xzi:

cursedseishi:

Xzi:

Oh god. Oh god. I think I'm going to be sick.

Clarify please. For the love of all that is holy, please tell me that you don't just automatically acquire all the skills and spells for your class as you level up. And if so, please tell me that you at least gain ranks in each of these skills/spells to grow them in power the more you use them (ala Morrowind).

And please, please don't tell me that this isn't the case, and that all of the characters of the same class will end up exactly the same at end-game save for some simple rune choices. I might just burn down an orphanage.

Yep, classes just gain skills on level up, no powerups or anything besides the "rune" system. The skill tree wasn't complicated, it wasn't hard to understand, Blizzard is just serving the lowest denominator of IQ.
Which is why they removed the ability for Witch Doctors to interact with their summonable minions with spells, because the people who wouldn't give a rats arse about it and wouldn't use it anyways, wouldn't immediately catch onto it. Never mind the fact that they could of put that functionality into the skill description, hell that's what they are doing in WoW now. Because clearly "Heal" needs to be clarified as a spell you use to heal people.

Christ sake. Hold on a second while I go get a barf bucket.

Okay, back. Well, guess it's time to pre-order Torchlight 2 then. I can't believe I had any faith left in Blizzard after they were acquired by Activision. All of my favorite developers are fast circling the drain thanks to these mega-publishers. The soul of the gaming industry is being mercilessly ripped out. >:(

"Sucked in" my ass. Diablo 2 sucked me in because there was some depth there, along with all the stuff that supposedly makes Diablo 3 great.

Sigh... Did ANY of you read/listen to any of the reasons why they did it?

Captain Placeholder:

WabbitTwacks:
I don't understand the whining. The auction house is optional and this game will have more active skills than D2. so what's the big deal?

Oh it is 'Cool' to hate on things Popular. Blizzard is Very Popular. So is Activision. Therefore, popular is bad and any game that must come from either developer will be bad. All because it is the popular thing to do.

As far as I can tell they are just a bunch of fuckin' morons. However that is just me, they have yet to play it and are just bitching just to bitch. A normal mind would say 'Wait until the game has been released before using any Judgement or hatred upon the game' however that is called the brain. Most don't seem to have them nowadays.

Let me get two things straight.

1. Is information that is released about any given game not to be judged? Is everyone supposed to like it or fuck off?

2. Is "they hate it 'cause it's popular" the best thing you could come up with? Because if it is, I have to say, it doesn't reflect on your level of intelligence all that positively. And neither do the uncalled for insults, by the way.

The Human Torch:
Blizzard functions separately from Activision. Any and all decisions relating to the game's design is solely on Blizzard's part.

They started 'functioning' this way suspiciously soon after the Acti/Blizz merger, so something likely went wrong there. And in any case, this changes the actions not one single bit. In fact, it reflects on Blizzard even worse.

bakan:
Did I just read a commercial - normally I change the channel when commercials come up in the TV...

I don't think I've read a single preview on The Escapist that wasn't a commercial.

Azure Sky:

Rule number one. The staff of Blizzard entertainment is not obligated in any way to tell the truth. You go by what you see, not by what they tell you, otherwise you'd believe that Battle.net is the best thing since sliced bread and it's way better for custom content compared to the older iterations, the change in Diablo 3's art style was so you could see the monsters better and that the fight against piracy has no sacrifice they aren't ready to make. So don't hold it against people when they don't follow all that closely what Blizzard says, after all, they're full of shit to the largest extent.

Now, when it comes to this particular case, Jay seems to be making perfect sense with the skill system. As much as I hate uniformity, it may very well work better than it did in Diablo 2, however little that sounds.

Unless someone misspoke, I've heard people say the talent system is getting axed completely aswell. Why's that?

Hammeroj:
They started 'functioning' this way suspiciously soon after the Acti/Blizz merger, so something likely went wrong there. And in any case, this changes the actions not one single bit. In fact, it reflects on Blizzard even worse.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Also, Blizzard were nickel and diming way before the merger. Paid character transfer and name changers at RIDICULOUS prices, vanity pets etc.

Everyone likes hating on Activision, understandably so because they are a pretty awful company. I do too. But using them as a scapegoat for Blizzard's stupid decisions is a bit silly and somewhat fanboyish.

This "dumbing down" doesn't seem like a problem to me as RPGs are about immersion not filing paper work. If something can be done intuitively rather than picking where to put arbitrary numbers, then I'm all for it. Anyone who insults my intelligence for this opinion is actually the dumb one and can fuck off.

My biggest problem with the game is the real currency auction house pretty much legitimising slave-trade farming in China. Seriously. The fact that they charge you to list and item, take a cut of the winning bid and charge you to withdraw your money will literally will print money for them and I'm worried that they won't feel obliged to expand on the game because its not worth it financially.

And the removal of mod support :(:(:(

The Human Torch:

Lol I'm surprised that anyone still buys that shit. They're owned by Activision. They answer to Activision's shareholders. So of course Activision is going to have a voice in what they do. Anyone telling you otherwise, Blizzard included, is pure PR speak.

mptothedc:

blackdwarf:
excuse me? are they destroying the thing that made diablo II my favorite game of all time? they have chopped down the talents tree??!?!?! whhhhhhhyyyyyy!!!! diablo II was a great game because of that. there was not ONE good build, there were serveral. each character had like 25 abilities, but you only focused on 2 or 3. there was huge customasation in gameplay and they took it away? please don't let it be. i'm already waiting for a diablo III for years, but now they are raping it.

I agree. I've made so many Diablo characters BECAUSE I wanted to try out all of the talent tree builds.

Limitations in this area are probably going to severely limit replayability for Diablo. Hell, it's one of the reasons why Dialbo II is still very populated years after it's initial release.

I'm going down on record as not being a fan of the over-simplification of video games that we are experiencing. I blame consoles, I really do - they've shown developers that a sure way to a bucketload of cash is to cater to the lowest common denominator, and let's be honest, the big developers only really care about making cash. Hand over fist if possible.

Azure Sky:

I don't object to them taking the skill trees out. I just figured they'd replace it with some other method of acquiring skills rather than just giving them all to you as you go along. Hell, even Diablo 1's system of finding tomes and such was better than that.

That said, I cooled off a bit after I saw this video:

With any luck, this means that people will have some variation in the skills they choose and the runes they choose to equip to those skills. Character builds won't be ENTIRELY samey, and the way runes change ability effects is pretty cool.

However, if they were going to do it this way, I would have greatly preferred more around 20-30 different runes rather than just 5. And I can't help but feel like they've had ample time to do something like that, given that their previous games have included AT LEAST that much customization.

dillinger88:
snip

Oh I don't disagree. I got done trying to defend them a long time ago.

SoopaSte123:
DEATH BY SNU SNU.

I haven't been very interested in Diablo 3 ever since I learned it was online only. Guess I'll just wait and see how the reviews turn out.

This is blizzard and Activision were talking about... Are you sure that youre going to find a single review thats unbiased?

I just want this game to be awesome ... but hey, itīs Blizzard, they have yet to release a bad game.

Blatant cash-grab auction house, mods prohibited, always-online DRM and now no actual skill trees? Is Blizzard trying to piss people off?

Hammeroj:

The Human Torch:

Blizzard made dubious decisions even before the merger ($25 server transfers in WoW?). They are a company out to make money, just because everybody seems to purview them as a charity, doesn't mean that they are. Has Blizzard taken a few money making advises from Activision? Sure, but it's BLIZZARD that has the final say on what they implement in a game. It's all them.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here