Trailers: Rift - Legacy of the Fallen PvP Trailer

Rift - Legacy of the Fallen PvP Trailer

The latest update for Rift brings new PvP maps and quests to Trion World's fantasy MMO.

Watch Video

AOE spam FTW?

Hokay. Even the world looks a little too much like WoW. I guess it's a good game, but . . .

Whitefal Steppes is an old Warfront by the way, my least favourite too. (I hate capture the flag with a passion)

Still, I played the game at release and I re-subscribed last month by accident (Don't ask) so I played the game some more so as to not waste the money I didn't have and I gotta say, the devs really care about their community, all the things people asked for have been getting added to the game and it's only been a little while since release, it takes other MMO developers such as Bizzard years and entire expansions to fix bad content so Rift is definitely something to check out.

Still haven't tried any of the PVP content... Then again, I haven't hit the level cap yet, either. Once I've dinged 50, I'll have a look.

Ickorus:
Whitefal Steppes is an old Warfront by the way, my least favourite too. (I hate capture the flag with a passion)

Still, I played the game at release and I re-subscribed last month by accident (Don't ask) so I played the game some more so as to not waste the money I didn't have and I gotta say, the devs really care about their community, all the things people asked for have been getting added to the game and it's only been a little while since release, it takes other MMO developers such as Bizzard years and entire expansions to fix bad content so Rift is definitely something to check out.

I thought there was a fucking bug on my monitor. While I thought Rift was pretty good it is hard to pay for any MMO anymore with all the amazing F2P games available nowadays. With that being said I still pay for my wifes EQ2 addiction. :/

The animations look so choppy.

Bags159:
The animations look so choppy.

rift doesnt record well its kinda the same deal that wow had for the first year.

You know that a game is crap when even in the trailer they won't show you anything.

I'll wait til it goes f2p like most MMOs these days. I doubt Rift can compete much longer with WoW.

Rifts numbers are actually steadily going in the opposite direction to WoWs

(and that's UP btw)

and they are also currently producing content patches at the rate of one every month or two . . .

It was fun enough while it lasted. I might have stayed longer if any of my friends played. I just wish it had been a little more bold in executing its designs and concepts. The Rift idea has a lot of potential, but I feel like they didn't take it very far beyond the typical public event style of quest. So it ends up feeling like uninspired high-fantasy in the end. That's just my personal perception though; I'd hate to be that guy that rains on someone else's parade. I hope Rift fans enjoy the new content.

rsvp42:
It was fun enough while it lasted. I might have stayed longer if any of my friends played. I just wish it had been a little more bold in executing its designs and concepts. The Rift idea has a lot of potential, but I feel like they didn't take it very far beyond the typical public event style of quest. So it ends up feeling like uninspired high-fantasy in the end. That's just my personal perception though; I'd hate to be that guy that rains on someone else's parade. I hope Rift fans enjoy the new content.

The "typical public event"? I guess because one game(Warhammer Online) did it first (and implemented it statically and poorly) that games should forever abandon any such idea?

Rift does it and does it well. I quit the game for personal reasons - I disliked the to my mind unwarranted nerfing of the warrior class post release. But the game world's only sin in my mind is being too small.

Still, it beats the hell out of WoW. Having played WoW for five years, I get to make that comparison.

KaiusCormere:

rsvp42:

The "typical public event"? I guess because one game(Warhammer Online) did it first (and implemented it statically and poorly) that games should forever abandon any such idea?

Rift does it and does it well. I quit the game for personal reasons - I disliked the to my mind unwarranted nerfing of the warrior class post release. But the game world's only sin in my mind is being too small.

Still, it beats the hell out of WoW. Having played WoW for five years, I get to make that comparison.

What I meant is that underneath the lore, the Rift mechanics weren't all that exciting once I'd played for a while. I never played Warhammer Online, so I can't speak for how that game handled it and I definitely think it's the type of content that MMOs need more of, I'm just saying that Rift's implementation failed to inspire me. To be blunt, it often felt like the same repeating content with different color tints. That's not to say that it was bad, it just didn't do much for me personally. And that alone would have been perfectly fine, had the world been larger and more open-ended, but as you mentioned, it wasn't.

It's still a solid game and it ranks highly among MMOs I've played because of the polish and care that Trion displays. I may pick it up again because the combat was at least more fun on it's own than WoW's, but unless some friends really want to play, I'll probably just bide my time until TOR and/or GW2 release.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here