Escape to the Movies: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

A great blend of drama, sci-fi and apes attacking helicopters.

Watch Video

Gorilla beating up an helicopter, interesting premise.

A gorilla beating up a helicopter!? I might see it for just that! I thought it looked good from the trailers, this review sold it to me though.

I Think i might really watch this movie now

good review

I've read mixed reviews, but I enjoy the original Planet movies, and I agree with Bob more often than not. I'll probably give it a look.

Gorilla beating up a helicopter = EPIC WIN!

Might go see this on Monday(since I work today and the whole weekend).

I'm still looking for an answer to my question. Why don't they just shoot the fucking apes? We endangered them once we can do it again. This should be a pretty no contest fight.

Damn, I thought it would be the other way around, Cowboys & Aliens being the surprise hit and this bombing.

Hmmm I remember all the hate this movie was getting from people last month, I wonder what they will be saying now that one of the escapist gods approves of it.
But yes a gurilla beating a helicopter could be a whole film in itself

if i have an extra 5 bucks sure i'll take a look at it

i had a good feeling about this film and now i cant wait till it comes out in the uk

I'll skip it. Never been an Apes fan. Glad to hear it doesn't suck, though. Good news for fans.

I'm glad that this is good. I was really looking forward to it. I'm surprised that there's still no Attack the Block review though.

Huh, this one seems really good. I've never seen any of the original films (I saw the crap one with Wahlberg) but I'll make sure to give this one a look.

I just don't think I can get into the movie as a whole. I never really did like "The Planet of the Apes."

Ehh.... my main reason to hate on it was the demonization of science and Bob reports its not there, gonna wait for some more reviews on this one.

I could not disagree with Bob more. In fact, I wish I had seen the movie he reviewed, because it sounded great. Instead of a nuanced, thoughtful and interesting take on the idea of a chimp learning to be a better man than even Man can be, I saw a movie about an abused dog taking an overly complex route to escaping the pound. This movie lacked all the heart, mind, and other necessary body parts to really become a sci-fi classic.

Oh, and also, how tired are we of the whole "man creating his own doom through hubris of science" plot? Seriously, this thing is Deep Blue Sea but with reasoning skills. The whole thing has a long wind up that feels as though it suddenly remembered it had to be somewhere and then rushed to the conclusion.

I'm not sure I can really get over the fact that they have enough apes to really start up a revolution in just one city for this movie. But I can still give it a try and know that it can never happen in real life because their will never be that many apes or monkeys in one city that can start a revolution and beat all of the assault rifle carrying SWAT teams, police officers, and Animal Control.

But like Bob said its a fun movie that isn't serious so I will watch it because it actually seems pretty good.

Monkeys rule! Also, humanity is ruled because on douchebag cared too much about his car, lol.

I didnt see this movie yet but had already decided that no matter what it was going to be my favourite this summer. Now im super pumped

I can't bring my self to watch this movie for 2 reasons
1. Its kind of stupid because theres about 7 billion humans and less than 1 million primates and it's not like he had access to like every jungle in shit so the idea as a whole is just dumb.
2. This isn't how the origional story went and i'm a massive nerd and dislike the massive story change

Ok I'm interested to hear more.

My main problem is that I am a BIG fan of the originals, and still have a bad taste in my mouth from Markey-Mark's turn in the franchise. What I love of the originals is the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) allegory of the day. I.E. xenophobia and racism in a nuclear society.

The first few trailers struck me as 'Evul science... DURRRRR. Monkey fight go!'. The one before Captain America though gave me hope there might be more brains behind it, and seemed to emphasise the subtle meanings behind everything.

So my question is, does this movie have those deeper layers? Cause if not, I'm going to hate it fiercely.

hmm, Im surprised it was that good, the ads for it make it look like crap

I guess I'll give it a rent.

I do find it bit annoying though that the apes look kinda fuzzy. No, not "that" kind of fuzzy, but CGI fuzzy. They don't seem to look like they occupy actual physical space, in the same way that Gollum or Peter Jackson's Kong did.

Crazy_Man_42:
I'm not sure I can really get over the fact that they have enough apes to really start up a revolution in just one city for this movie. But I can still give it a try and know that it can never happen in real life because their will never be that many apes or monkeys in one city that can start a revolution and beat all of the assault rifle carrying SWAT teams, police officers, and Animal Control.

But like Bob said its a fun movie that isn't serious so I will watch it because it actually seems pretty good.

chunkeymonke:
1. Its kind of stupid because theres about 7 billion humans and less than 1 million primates and it's not like he had access to like every jungle in shit so the idea as a whole is just dumb.
2. This isn't how the origional story went and i'm a massive nerd and dislike the massive story change

In the original story Apes had become the new black people. Domesticated to the point of being slaves of use and in every house hold... hell, think "AI" but with monkeys... and they win in the end.

chunkeymonke:

Yes, and all zombie movies are stupid because we would easily beat them before the infection has spread. Also the Harry potter movies are stupid because they didn't use guns. These sort of films are unrealistic, yes, but that's part of the charm. I'm betting most sci-fi films you like has inconsistencies with reality far greater than Rising of the Planet of the Apes.

A group of monkey/gorillas run riot and take over America and the world. How? I cant get past that. The police have guns and the criminals. The army would get involved. More guns. How many monkeys are their? No country can conquer america as their is to much space, it would take millions of soldiers to accomplish that task. So this movie i can not take seriously. The monkeys would be killed in seconds. I want to watch this movie, but the idea of monkeys taking america is retarded. I just cant look past this obvious fail.

Fuck yea. I knew he would like it. All you haters out there. I don't know how many times in the last week I had to correct people on the fact that this isn't a remake of the Charlton Heston move Planet of the Apes, but a remake of Conquest for the Planet of the Apes.

Really the only major plot differences are that in the original Cesar was born intelligent from his parents who came back in time and monkeys were kept as pets/slaves. Instead of being lab rats like in this one.

This is actually decent? I am surprised! I will consider seeing it.

Someone once mentioned this, why don't they just shoot the monkeys? With like, bullets? This is more or less why some species of apes are going extinct.

monnes:

chunkeymonke:

Yes, and all zombie movies are stupid because we would easily beat them before the infection has spread. Also the Harry potter movies are stupid because they didn't use guns. These sort of films are unrealistic, yes, but that's part of the charm. I'm betting most sci-fi films you like has inconsistencies with reality far greater than Rising of the Planet of the Apes.

No. A zombie kills and makes another zombie. It spreads. Or does a monkey killing a human in this film turn them into another monkey?

Plus you can put a monkey down by shooting them in any part of their body. A zombie its the head. Have to be realistic to the rules of the movie. Monkeys are monkeys. Zombies are zombies.

Maybe a film about Zombie Monkeys taking over the world? That would be awesome.

So Tom Felton makes his next movie debut by being a complete ass again. Well he's good at something at yes, it does appear he is good at it. But I'm not going to be surprise if someone, somewhere I going to yell "POTTA'!!!" as he enters the screen.

So it's like Splice, or come to think of it, the original Frankenstein, where it's not "evil science" that's responsible for the monster, but abuse and prejudice. Maybe we're finally over Michael Crichton's destructive influence on Hollywood science fiction?

I was prepared to write this whole film off in disgust. My godfather was physically and socially active and constantly exercised his mind with books, chess and crossword puzzles and still ended up with Alzheimer's, and the implication of the trailer that it's "playing God" (two words that are one of my rage triggers) to seek a cure really pissed me off. But if you're telling me that's not the message--and in fact, Franco's character seems to have personal motivations to develop a cure besides--maybe it's worth a look.

Draconalis:

Crazy_Man_42:

chunkeymonke:

In the original story Apes had become the new black people. Domesticated to the point of being slaves of use and in every house hold... hell, think "AI" but with monkeys... and they win in the end.

I remember that part of the story and it was a better explanation then this movie for how The Planet of The Apes started. It's also more likely as long as we don't get hit with some kind of bacteria that kills cats, dogs and other pets and then we have apes for pets as a replacement for them.

Zombies or vampires. They are not real. A monkey. We all know what a monkey is. Its a real world creature and thus we see it that way. An in the context of the film, no way could it happen. Ever. Its a real world animal vs humans. It would fail.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here