Escape to the Movies: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

ok i have no doubt that this movie would be fun to watch the only problem i have is if apes took over San Fransisco do you think there would be any hesitation when we bombed the hell out of the city and them with it?

Nice to see that at least one Harry Potter character can play a strong role outside of the franchise. Daniel Radcliffe will always be remembered as "the boy that played Harry Potter".

Sojoez:
Nice to see that at least one Harry Potter character can play a strong role outside of the franchise. Daniel Radcliffe will always be remembered as "the boy that played Harry Potter".

I dunno..he's already done two successful broadway shows, and he's already filmed The Woman in Black. Just sayin'

Anyway, this movie does interest me, although I still can't see a reasonable way in which I can see primates taking over the whole freaking world, to the point of turning it into some kind of ape world.

I'm pretty sure guns > spears.

Also Felton's character's fate is so predictable.

I love the animation of the chimps especially the trick they did to help us understand their intelligence; chimps do not have whites in their eyes like we do but they were given them in the film to make it easier to see what they were thinking. Most of our emotion is shown through our eyes so giving them more human eyes gives us a much better understanding of their psyche.

The only thing that bugs me is how does 1 city's worth of apes armed with sticks beat troops armed with machine guns?

RevRaptor:
This movie is just too Implausible for me. I mean really how are a bunch of smart apes supposed to be a army that has attack helicopters, jets and tanks. Just one napalm strike and it's all over for the monkey uprising. I just don't get how a handful of primates are supposed to herald the end of mankind.

Guess I have 2 movies to go to this month, Captain America and this one. Thanks, Bob.

"Alzhimers suffering father being caretaker of an ape"

So they took a 3rd Rock From The Sun episode and made it into a movie?

I'm learning about evolution in school. Applied characteristics cannot be passed on to descendants, and since these monkeys are only hyper-intelligent through some form of medicine, their offspring will be the poo-flinging screaming dumbasses all monkeys are.
Scientifically implausible at intermediate levels of scientific understanding? Yes.
Gorilla attacking a helicopter? I'll support Creationism to see that.

Jailbird408:
I'm learning about evolution in school. Applied characteristics cannot be passed on to descendants, and since these monkeys are only hyper-intelligent through some form of medicine, their offspring will be the poo-flinging screaming dumbasses all monkeys are.
Scientifically implausible at intermediate levels of scientific understanding? Yes.

Chemicals and/or foriegn substances like medicine and certain forms of gene-therapy CAN, however, be passed directly from a mother to a child during pregnancy, which can cause the same or similar effects to occur in the child as were intended for the mother; hence why women are generally advised not to drink, smoke or take drugs during pregnancy. The film implies that this is also the case for the "smart monkey drug" in it's story.

Goofy monkey uprising? Uuuh, I think not. It's gonna happen guys. It's. Gonna. Happen.

Hah, seriously speaking, I gotta see this.

Mmmm I guess I'll give it a try... I watched the trailer and wasn't overly impressed with it. The film looked a little, I don't know, me'h. Even without knowledge of the previous movies I could already make a decent prediction on what I imagine will happen in the film. Just seemed so... cliched and unoriginal.

That and I wasn't impressed with the cgi at all. Now before people get on at me about "CG sucks" or calling me out for being petty as having that for the reason but well... This film is basically a CG movie, thats the central effect of it all and I imagine the apes are going to be on screen for a good amount of the movie... SO if the effect doesn't work it becomes distracting.

The main problem with the effect is the lighting... The lighting on the models don't seem to match their surroundings and thus it creates a jarring effect. I don't know it just looks off and distracting.

That being said, my brother and I are looking to see a movie and I guess this one might be a decent pick.

Also, up until further inspection I thought the H.P kid was Edward Norton.

Jailbird408:

As has been said it's viable to pass it on. You should take more issue with an Alzheimer's cure spontaneously causing hyper intelligence. Anything spontaneously causing hyper intelligence, actually.

Anyway, I honestly thought this was going to be a write off from the get go...might go see it now after Captain America. I did like the look of it, the ape's expressions and their movements were great but I thought it was going to be good CGI and rubbish story.

You know what I really appreciate about you as a film critic, Bob? You don't have to be so highbrow. You don't beat me over the head with how Rise of the Planet of the Apes isn't a serious, Best Film Oscar contender. It's a movie about apes. In which a gorilla attacks a helicopter. And I can get behind a premise like that. I enjoy the art house stuff, too, but sometimes you just want to see a gorilla attack a helicopter. You don't make that seem like a bad thing. I don't have to try to sort out if you hated the latest over the top summer blockbuster because it wasn't Schindler's List or if it genuinely stunk. Thanks for helping me spend my money wisely this summer.

Phlakes:
Damn, I thought it would be the other way around, Cowboys & Aliens being the surprise hit and this bombing.

i thought the same, or maybe even both bombing

MovieBob:
Chemicals and/or foriegn substances like medicine and certain forms of gene-therapy CAN, however, be passed directly from a mother to a child during pregnancy, which can cause the same or similar effects to occur in the child as were intended for the mother; hence why women are generally advised not to drink, smoke or take drugs during pregnancy. The film implies that this is also the case for the "smart monkey drug" in it's story.

Hugga_Bear:
As has been said it's viable to pass it on. You should take more issue with an Alzheimer's cure spontaneously causing hyper intelligence. Anything spontaneously causing hyper intelligence, actually.

Well, I wasn't really paying attention to the specifics of the cure so I just thought it was some sort of medicine. May I be excused to wipe the stupidity egg off my face?

MovieBob, I am honored to have been corrected by an Internet Superstar.
And Hugga_Bear, Caesar did not spontaneously become hyper intelligent. It was a gradual process that left him, at most, as smart as the average human. If you call that hyperintelligent then where's the time machine at?

What's wrong with Patrick Dempsey playing Doctor Strange? I think he could pull it off.

John Lithgow! You could almost picture this is a bizarre sequel to Harry and the Hendersons

yay? i'd kinda forgot about this movie till today :p not an fan of anything monkey/ape related

I'm probably going to see this tomorrow for kicks, I'm somewhat disappointed with the story changes that have occurred since the first movie though. I thought the first movie was really effective because it wasn't the result of some man vs. ape event, humanity instead destroyed itself and apes took their place gradually as a product of evolution (then again, evolution wouldn't occur in less then two thousand years, but I'll let that slip as movie science). It wasn't about the apes overthrowing humanity, it was about humanity's self-destructive nature and the end result (the late movies somewhat changed this however). It defeats the moral of the story to have it as an ape vs. man story (although they do replace it with some racial commentary in the older movies). I agree with the late Charleton Heston, the story should have ended with that iconic scene of the Statue of Liberty.

I'm just hoping that the movie won't be one of those cliched 'WHAT HATH MAN CREATED WITH HIS TERRIBLE SCIENCE, TRESPASSING IN GOD'S DOMAIN' stories that the trailers seem to be presenting. Because finding the cure for Alzheimer's is just wrong, right? (Wasn't that also the plot of Deep Blue Sea?)

samaugsch:

PunkRex:

summerof2010:
Simian super intelligence aside, is anyone else not just immediately turned off from this movie by the sheer implausibility of the entire thing? Not only is the science behind the Altimeters mega brain serum softer than a pedophile's dick in a retirement home, but as far as I can tell, the pinnacle of primate weaponry is a freaking spear. I mean, yeah, the local police force is going to be flabbergasted at first, and the city where they first strike is going to get steamrolled, but are you trying to tell me that by the end of this the entire might of the world's standing armies can't contend with a legion of monkeys maybe a few thousand strong? Because frankly, that's ape-shit bananas. Pun intended.

I basically said that minutes after you. Im all for the Sci-fi aspects (I love fantasy and sci-fi) but spears, REALLY!? I hope Ceaser pulls some serious genocide, like a new strain of small pox.

I don't see why the apes had to use spears. If they're so smart, why don't they break into the gun stores and start using the guns in there? Heck, they could even have the gorillas use detachable miniguns. xD

...And now we suddenly have an idea for more awesome movie.

Littaly:
I had no idea that the ending of Planet of the Apes was considered an OK spoiler. I had it spoiled a few months ago by a podcast when the trailer for this movie was released, which got me pretty annoyed but since then I've heard it both left and right from pretty much everywhere. I should probably give that original movie a watch...

The DVD cover literally spoils the whole movie.

EDIT: Double post, my bad.

Looks fun, but I'll still wait for DVD. Andy Serkis doing motion capture is worth that much at least.

MovieBob does enjoy some bad stuff now and them, like with "Piranhas" and "2012". So there is a chance that this is just another one of these cases. I'm preety skeptical that this will be any good. BUT, I may give it a shot because of Bob's favorable review.

Maybe Patrick Dempsey should play a villain. He's so hot but he's in such awful movies. Maybe he could turn his crappy career around if he's change his typecast a little bit.

Hmmm wasn't going to watch this movie...but I might now although maybe I might just wait til it comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray.

I can't take John Lithgow seriously though now. Whenever I see him act in something all I think is that hes the 'Trinity Killer' and think hes a serial killer who deserves to die.

The movie was actually way better than I expected.

SonOfVoorhees:

monnes:

chunkeymonke:
I can't bring my self to watch this movie for 2 reasons
1. Its kind of stupid because theres about 7 billion humans and less than 1 million primates and it's not like he had access to like every jungle in shit so the idea as a whole is just dumb.
2. This isn't how the origional story went and i'm a massive nerd and dislike the massive story change

Yes, and all zombie movies are stupid because we would easily beat them before the infection has spread. Also the Harry potter movies are stupid because they didn't use guns. These sort of films are unrealistic, yes, but that's part of the charm. I'm betting most sci-fi films you like has inconsistencies with reality far greater than Rising of the Planet of the Apes.

No. A zombie kills and makes another zombie. It spreads. Or does a monkey killing a human in this film turn them into another monkey?

Plus you can put a monkey down by shooting them in any part of their body. A zombie its the head. Have to be realistic to the rules of the movie. Monkeys are monkeys. Zombies are zombies.

Maybe a film about Zombie Monkeys taking over the world? That would be awesome.

Well there are a number of reason why a zombies uprising wouldn't make it.

They Have Too Many Natural Predators
Biting is a Terrible Way to Spread a Disease
Weapons. (This applies to apes as well though)

These gorillas are more intelligent, which makes it about equal plausability for both these events.

I also would like to mention that I would pay big money for a film about zombie apes taking over the world.

MovieBob:
Rise of the Planet of the Apes

A great blend of drama, sci-fi and apes attacking helicopters.

Watch Video

Bob, considering the recent movies of the past, oh, I dunno, 10 years "OMG X even killed the helicopter" seems like a really, really tired trope.

Whenever you have the one-man-killing-machine character, having it kill a helicopter is a very VERY common 'shit just got real' moment.

In fact, it has gotten to the point where almost any movie that includes scenes of strong looking helicopters, will make sure one bites the dust to something you don't expect. It's the same thrill as seeing ewoks trash ATST in Jedi.

But... now it's just boring and hackneyed.

I still think it looks like a major waste of time, but whatever.

twilinova07:

MovieBob:
The problem with movies today, in a nutshell - instead of approaching a ridiculous premise with "It seems highly unlikely that this could happen, therefore I'm interested to see how the film finds a (hopefully) creative solution to that unlikeliness;" you get "Why don't they just shoot them? The trailer isn't telling me exactly how, therefore it's stupid."

This is why we can't have nice things.

God Damn right. There is a reason you didn't reveal anything about the last act besides "they win."

Doesn't anyone want to see their expectations turned around? To be surprised by a creative twist? What else are you people going to see? The smurfs? Captain America again?

I want nice things.

We have nice things. Bob's perspective is perplexing. Ya wanna know what I thought this movie was about? a villian origin. Namely gorilla grodd. I don't know anything about his history but wouldn't have been a nice thing to hear a origin story about a super villian than a good guy for once? Hmph. You and bob. there is always nice things to have but there is also always nicer things we will never have. But that is all subjective.

Andy Serkis is awesome! I wish there were more things with him in them. I'll just have to wait for Tin-Tin to come out to see him in action again.

After I see this film of course...

Huzzah, more 'lol F&F sucks' hate. Gee, that doesn't get old, Bob. Got a grudge or something? Seriously, let it go. If you can make peace with Michael Bay movies, I don't see why you can't accept F&F stuff too.

I probably won't see the movie, just not interested. I did like Splice, though, and I'm surprised that John Lithgow is in it. I love him as an actor.

Having seen every continuity of this franchise, I am totally looking forward tho this.

The critical consensus on this movie seems to be that it's quite good, which frankly surprised me - when I saw the trailer I thought that it looked really stupid. I'll check it out if I get the chance. Plus, Andy Serkis is awesome, so that's another reason to give it a look.

That said, I'll probably end up watching it on DVD instead of seeing it in the theaters.

You seem to be stuck on this Helicopter thing. Bob, I have a feeling you would like King Kung Fu

For everyone wondering how can apes take over a city and start a revolution, they don't. They are just trying to escape to the woods. Also, the gorilla attacking the chopper scene is a pretty touching scene once you know the reason for it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here