Escape to the Movies: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

chunkeymonke:
I can't bring my self to watch this movie for 2 reasons
1. Its kind of stupid because theres about 7 billion humans and less than 1 million primates and it's not like he had access to like every jungle in shit so the idea as a whole is just dumb.
2. This isn't how the origional story went and i'm a massive nerd and dislike the massive story change

I just came back from watching the movie and so I need to tell you that they don't use brute force to beat humanity. They just beat like a dozen cops and a few SWAT guys.

I love this movie. I kind of consider this to be the ROCKY BALBOA of the series.

Which Heston movies make cameos at the shelter? Is there a list?

The main premise of this movie relies on a lot of completely impossible faux science explanations. I really couldn't take this serious in any way and it kinda makes the entire movie seem like a hollow and worthless waste of time.

P.S. A gorilla beating up a helicopter is the single stupidest thing I've seen on film this entire year.

Hammeroj:

Jimbo1212:
I just can't take this film seriously due to the gaping plot hole - apes beat mankind with spears >.<
Sorry, but that is just dire. For the last 3000 yrs mankind has perfected killing each other, so how can some apes beat 6.7 billion people?

Have you watched the movie? It wasn't overplayed, but in case it wasn't clear enough, they put an additional scene after the beginning of the credits. The LHS-113 (or whatever it was) wipes humanity - or at least most of it - out.

They call it ALZ-112 and ALZ-113 because it's a drug/retro-virus used to treat Alzheimer's Disease. Another wink-wink at the Original movie? A little crass, but the movie is full of them.

Just got back from seeing it a few hours ago.

Loved that it is a "reboot" instead of a "remake". The ending sequence? So much better than the originals.

Seriously, what's with all the people talking out of their....?

The film covers its bases pretty well. There's a reason critics are recommending it, and the viewers love it. Stop assuming things, and go see it.

Oh noooooo! The monkeys have heightened intelligence! If only we had some sort of lead throwing device with which to Swiss cheese them with, since all we have are these feeble explosive weapons and other interesting ways to maul living organisms.

Actually this movie does a much better job of explaining how the apes end up in control and also showing how "We really did it" so to speak. I don't want to ruin the ending but basically we are responsible for our own destruction and the apes just happen to take advantage of that fact.

I don't totally agree with Mr. Bob's review, at least that the movie doesn't focus on "Science is bad" so much....since uncontrolled science is basically what mostly wipes out humanity (not to mention making another species intelligent enough to move in and enslave us afterwards), but I do agree that it focuses more on how the actions of individuals (or people just being jerks) can have such a large influence and ultimately lead to our doom as well.

I really liked the originals and to be honest I'm more jaded now then I was back then, but I did enjoy this movie and I think it's well worth seeing. I certainly thought it was better then the 2004 planet of the apes movie (Which I've seen twice...only 2 parts I really liked in that...Heston cursing the humans and the ending).

I'm a marvel fan, but not a huge fan of DC or Captain America....so for me this has been the best movie of the summer so far.

Seems like everyone's problem is that it seems unfeasible for the apes to take over humanity just by getting smarter, but the end credits of the film explain that the virus spreads all over the planet killing humans and making apes smart.

So if humans are dying by the truckload from a virus and the very same thing is making apes capable of beating humans, then it seems reasonable to me that they could take over the earth.

i was kinda eying this movie weird because they've done so many reboots of stuff recently,but it looked good, and this review seems to agree.

Question tho,(not sure if this was asked/answered or what) what was the original premise of the first film? i know he was a space traveler that crashed on the planet, but was it supposed to be that he traveled through time and ended up back on earth, or was the planet of the apes a different planet?

i saw a remake with Matt Damon that seemed to favor the time travel thing, except when he left it was like he had been in the past, and had caused the earth he returned to to be full of apes.

i think the first film had him travel to a future earth inhabited by apes, but i'm not sure. its been kinda bugging me, so i'd appreciate a response.

Zetsubou^-^:
i was kinda eying this movie weird because they've done so many reboots of stuff recently,but it looked good, and this review seems to agree.

Question tho,(not sure if this was asked/answered or what) what was the original premise of the first film? i know he was a space traveler that crashed on the planet, but was it supposed to be that he traveled through time and ended up back on earth, or was the planet of the apes a different planet?

i saw a remake with Matt Damon that seemed to favor the time travel thing, except when he left it was like he had been in the past, and had caused the earth he returned to to be full of apes.

i think the first film had him travel to a future earth inhabited by apes, but i'm not sure. its been kinda bugging me, so i'd appreciate a response.

Yes, in the original you think it's another planet for most of the movie...or an alternative reality etc, but towards the end he finds party of a buried statue of liberty and realizes that it's earth in the future and humanity destroyed itself.

In the Mark Walberg (not mat damon) remake they tweaked it a bit but still when he arrives on the planet humans are enslaved and the apes know about their superior technology in the past. At the end of the remake though it looks like the rift sends him to alternative realities though because when he gets back it's a planet run by apes with technology....and the leader ape he just defeated when he left....is celebrated as a hero (taking the place of abraham lincoln.

In the original though it was all basically done in one timeline/reality pretty much and they covered many points in the timeline (The creation of the smart apes, their revolution etc).

This newest movie though is VERY different then the originals in that smart apes were never used as slaves like in the original (which is probably why they in turn used the humans as slaves). It would be a bit more difficult to incorporate how the super smart apes end up enslaving humans (since they would probably fight to the end) in this new version.

Good to hear. I wanted to see this movie but I was kind of worried that it would be a bit rubbish given the premise of the plot, but to see it's handled well is a relief. I'll try to see it when I can.

The movie bob is pretty much wrong with half of his review because, as the writers said, this movie is meant to be as a reboot and not a prequel. And the apes had nothing to do with the exinction of the human race as this job was done by the virus. So actually the movie bob is completly wrong with is review except that the movie is really good. That kind of shatters my world...

Despite the stupid, STUPID title, this is definitely a great film. Andy Serkis is an absolute gem in this. If there's one reason to watch this, it's him.

jumjalalabash:
I'm still looking for an answer to my question. Why don't they just shoot the fucking apes? We endangered them once we can do it again. This should be a pretty no contest fight.

This. 100 times this. There can be no suspension of disbelief for me without some sort of explanation for how the apes are immune to bullets. It's just ridiculous.

It would really be funny if it was an anti-gun control message. We don't use guns because we abolished them, thus evening the playing field for the apes who are resistant to our non-lethal crowd control weapons. Then it could have a shout out to Charleton Heston that would work on multiple levels. Something about prying something from someone's cold dead hands or "get your dirty hands off my gun, you damn dirty hippie!" Of course the premise would cease to make sense once the National Guard was called in, but whatever.

No way a predominantly liberal Hollywood would go for it though. Too bad.

ReiverCorrupter:

jumjalalabash:
I'm still looking for an answer to my question. Why don't they just shoot the fucking apes? We endangered them once we can do it again. This should be a pretty no contest fight.

This. 100 times this. There can be no suspension of disbelief for me without some sort of explanation for how the apes are immune to bullets. It's just ridiculous.

It would really be funny if it was an anti-gun control message. We don't use guns because we abolished them, thus evening the playing field for the apes who are resistant to our non-lethal crowd control weapons. Then it could have a shout out to Charleton Heston that would work on multiple levels. Something about prying something from someone's cold dead hands or "get your dirty hands off my gun, you damn dirty hippie!" Of course the premise would cease to make sense once the National Guard was called in, but whatever.

No way a predominantly liberal Hollywood would go for it though. Too bad.

Ya know we really don't have enough hippie beats in movies that are played straight. There is probably a huge market in that, because that sounds much more interesting of an idea then people fighting apes with riot batons and police horses. Even weirder being that most producers and upper management of Hollywood are pretty Right-wing and old timey.

This calls for a song!

TARZAN SUPER APE An Origami Rock Opera

TARZAN: Aah aah aah ahh

CHORUS: Big white man from out of the sky (x4)

TARZAN: My name's Tarzan and I am an ape man
Yes I really am

JANE: His name's Tarzan and he is my love

BOMBA: He's my Daddy and I love him too
'Cause I'm Bomba the jungle boy
And I love you too, I really do

WITCH/DR: I, I am the Witch Doctor
And I hate them so

TARZAN: As I fly through the trees again si boo ba boppa
I got my wife and Bomba by my side
As we swing we go ohh ah ooh ooh ah ay
We go aaaaaahhhhhh!

WITCH/DR: As I see them fly through the sky
I tell you I feel like a mere mortal man
Standing here upon the ground
While he and Jane and Bomba in the sky
I wonder why

TARZAN: Evil witchdoctor come on here
I've got something to tell you
'Bout the woman I love

WITCH/DR: But you said you loved all the animals

TARZAN: I know I said that

WITCH/DR: Now they're made 'cause you've left them
For a woman of her kind

JANE: I'm not that kind of woman!

BOMBA: Mommy doesn't like you, daddy doesn't like you
And I don't like you much at all
Evil witchdoctor you're really small
Compared to daddy, isn't he daddy

WITCH/DR: Well you know, that's not a nice thing to say to me
Bomba gonna getcha

BOMBA: Help me daddy, you know I can't swim
Evil witchdoctor's gonna throw me in

TARZAN: Put down mah son, don't throw him to the alligators

WITCH/DR: I will

JANE: But we're happily married with four hairy children
His furry black hair it just brings out the animal
In me, I go bananas, I go bananas for him

WITCH/DR: She goes bananas for him

TARZAN: Oh, he's dying

CHORUS: As we see the boy

BOMBA: Can you see me daddy, I'm still here

JANE: I see my boy

BOMBA: Well come on will ya, come on

TARZAN: As the alligator drags him down to drown

BOMBA: Hey quit singing and do something will ya!

TARZAN: This looks like a job for Tarzan
How do you spell it?
You take a T and an A and an R and Z
And an A and N it spells Tarzan
Spell it!

CHORUS: You take a T and an A and an R and Z
And an A and N that spells Nazrat

TARZAN: Aint that sweet
Here I come on my way to save yer
Bomba baby, my sweet baby

BOMBA: I can see you comin' daddy
I can see you comin'

CHORUS: Big white man from out of the sky
Big white man it was Tarzan

WITCH/DR: But to me he's still brave
Gone to his watery grave
All the live he could save
He was Tarzan

JANE: And the elephants

CHORUS: They're cryin' for the love of you Tarzan

JANE: Hey yeah

I loved a man, not just any superman
He was an ape to me
And we'll miss you so, in the Jungle Book you know
We'll miss you Tarzan Super Ape

CHORUS: Super Ape, Super Ape (repeat)

TARZAN: Oh I was the king of the animals
Please forgive me I was wrong
I should've married oen of my own kind
But I hate gorillas

WITCH/DR: Well know he's gone, I don't know why
To that great waterhole in the sky
And we'll miss you in the Jungle Book of Life

ALLIGATOR: Tarzan sure tastes great!

Played as a clip on this show originally, from around the same times as the Goodies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQQuWre6CJk

Now my friend will probably be drawing everyone as a chimp in his weekly comic strip for the next six months like last time.

I never saw the original Planet of the Apes, and I thought this was a fantastic movie. One of the best I've seen all year in fact

Also, to everyone asking why they didn't just shoot the apes, here's what happened:

Of course, if you guys actually saw the movie, I wouldn't have to spoil it for you.

Just saw the movie. And I gotta say - Caesar is one hell of a badass mofo.

This is the most retarded movie premise I've seen in a long time. There just aren't enough chimps in the world for this. Next, just how many can you gather in one spot? I find it completely unbelievable enough that suspension of disbelief isn't possible. There just aren't enough many chimps and apes to do this. We're talking species in danger of extinction due to deforestation, and these scientists just happen to have several hundred in cages? Never mind the breeding needed to generate a world dominated force (assuming the drug affects the children as well).

Oh and one last thing, being given the ability to be smart |= being smart. Just look at our own children, it takes decades. The bigger and most complex brains take years to develop.

SPOILER¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
for some reason, everyone in the cinema burst out laughing when caesar said "caesar is home"

Wasn't really interested in this to begin with, but hearing that its main message seems to be 'humans are bad, animals are good' has diminished that interest even further.

It was nice enough of a movie. The how apes win is explained very well, I actually saw it coming miles away, they give hints as to how it goes down along the line.

But really Bob? They dont depict science as the evil here?
"Somethings arent meant to be controlled." -quote from the movie. Said on the face of a guy trying to cure his dads alzheimer. Classy. They should totally say this to people with huntingtons as well. And people with other, as of now, incurable diseases. You know, because its fun to watch other people suffer. I get it. And they propably deserve it.

Bitch.

I went to see it and to me it pretty much sums up why I hate PG13 movies. I was sat next to some kid who was brought by there parents and had to listen to what's that who's that why is there words on the screen (subtitles), although it did make me laugh during the scene with the horse back cop with the biggest balls ever starts waling on the gorilla and is about to be deboned when the protagonist ape basically says with one yell hey throttle back man kids are watching this you know. Now directors throttling back on some themes to get adults to bring there kids and thus get an extra ticket sale isn't a horrible thing in-fact it can cause directors to have to put on there creative cap with things like violence and character deatt. usually however it just means adult viewers will see the safe for kids stamp justifications in every scene aimed at adults and the kid will be board with plot points they don't understand and all the dynamic drama pro points you mentioned will have just shot over there heads. witch leads to my point can we stop lowering the bar just to get ticket sales plase?(listen to me being the pretentious idiot expecting directors to circumvent and jeopardise the very reason they are in a job) or maybe all these extra sales tickets where needed only to pay for the fancy CGI.

Anyone know why this review isn't on Youtube?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here