Escapist Podcast: 011: Upcoming Games of 2011 & Diablo 3

011: Upcoming Games of 2011 & Diablo 3

This week, we talk about the upcoming games of 2011 and the two big news stories related to Diablo 3.

Watch Video

The New York Baseball Giants, Steve?

And an obligatory boo Red Sox, go Yankees! As I watch the game at his moment...

Argh, every time someone mentions "Sword of Truth", in any context, I boil with rage.

Eh.. it seems to me that they didn't really get the idea of why someone would be upset with on disc DLC. I guess that's just the result of having a one way communication stream with the submitted questions but it still ended up with basically a non answer to a reasonable question.

I would imagine that in 10-20yrs people who grew up with games today will want to replay them(in the same way I replay my snes games. Nostalgia and all that stuff).
The problem for them is that eventually the authentication servers for always-online single player games will shut down(if the company goes under) or are used for more recent games because the owners no longer want to support the servers with a small user base.

I hold no hope the owner's would patch the game to not require authentication as it would limit the sale of their eventual re-release of the same game with minimal updates(think of the Disney Vault releases applying to video games).

This is already happening with Origin's use of expiring licenses.

I think things like this will spur people into a proper boycott.

Or not, people can be quite complacent with what they're willing to put up with.

I'll wait 6 months to see how Diablo 3 turns out, deciding on a boycott before a game comes out doesn't make sense to me. Just don't buy it day 1, it's not hard.

As for the problem with dlc on the disk, it stems from the idea that we bought a license to experience all content on the disk. To say that the license doesn't apply to parts of the content on the disk devalues the product in the eyes of some/most people(I can't really say what amount of people agree or disagree with this).

EDIT: Welcome back Podcast, definitely missed you the last couple of weeks!

Yeah Podcast is back!

In regards to the dlc sitting on the disk; if you have gone out and physically purchased this disk then you should be able to access all content on the disk just because you have already purchased the disk.

If you bought a bag of cookies from me, you shouldn't have to pay me to eat the last 3 cookies in the bag.

Online only, not a fan, but I can't deny that this is definitely where a branch of the industry is heading, same with digital distribution. I think this dispute comes from how you view games as a medium, to some people it's very social, to others (myself included) it's more of a solo experience, like reading a book, only one person reads a book at a time but then you go and discuss it with people, what aspects of the game-play you liked, what worked what didn't, characters, plots points, favourite/ despised levels yadda yadda yadda. but I don't game online anyways and I'm one of these sad losers resisting the inevitable cloud invasion so my opinion may be invalid.

Ooo. Tabletop RPG talk! Wish I could play. ;_; If you folks wouldn't mind trying another type of TRPG, I'd recommend any three of Fantasy Flight Games' Warhammer 40,000 ones. Each are different from each other in how they play and all that!

And man, so many games I wanna get, but to save money am reduced to renting. Though I will be buying Space Marine (Go Grimdark!) and Skyrim (Purty dragons).

I actually commend Blizz in how they're trying to do the Real Money Auction House. Gotta admit that it'll be fun to watch it either soar high as a good thing, or crash and burn as a bad thing.

THANK YOU I have been awaiting for like 2 weeks for the pod pod.... Why you take my crack away WHY YOU TAKE MY CRACK! ಠ_ಠ

Anyone know why I can't seem to download podcast episodes anymore? I go to the RSS feed thingy, click to save the link, it downloads an mp3 file, but it's just a 20 byte file with nothing on it :\

IIRC, regarding the extra character of Shale in DAO, if you bought the game new you were given a code unlock the character/quest (not sure if it was on the disc or not as I got it from Steam), if you bought it used then you had to buy Shale seperately.

Vrach:
Anyone know why I can't seem to download podcast episodes anymore? I go to the RSS feed thingy, click to save the link, it downloads an mp3 file, but it's just a 20 byte file with nothing on it :\

Same problem here.

The RSS file points to an empty mp3, it's a problem on their side. Weird too, since publishing a podcast ain't exactly rocket science.

I've got the same problem if anyone finds the answer please post it on this thread or message me.

I can't wait til Susan comes back so we don't have to live through the "do do", "you have huge clap" and other assorted jokes. (Aw, who am I kidding, I snickered)
Love the podcast, guys, look forward to it every time!

Regarding Diablo 3, and games in general that require a permanent Internet connection, I think it's something that we, as a gaming community, cannot condone (and yes, I won't be buying Diablo 3, but that's besides the point). Not everyone has broadband, (even in 2011, yes, don't look so shocked), and even those who do can sometimes have trouble with it, like I did back in June. Our ISP is a great big bunch of doofus (or is the plural "doofi"?), and they killed their own DSLAM while working on it (of course, they would never admit that), which left a whole bunch of us consumers without phone, TV or Internet for nearly a week (thank goodness I had a connection at work, or I would've gone into withdrawal). Say I wanted to play a game like Diablo 3 during that week, what was I supposed to do then? And there's the other issue @-Dragmire- raised, and with good reason, what if someone wants to play that game 5, 10, 15 years from now? I still play Dune every now and then, and that was released in 1992 (and it's not even the oldest game I own), nearly twenty years ago (oh gosh, it hurt to type that in).

Bottom line, I'm with those who argue that requiring a permanent Internet connection in the case of single player games is ridiculous (I'm not talking about multiplayer here, obviously), and I won't be a party to it.

Edit: Also, IIRC, when I got my retail copy of Dragon Age, I only had the code, and had to download Shale content separately.

For some reason my internet cut out before i could fully stream this episode and it ended right after the line "Alright this podcast is over" at 19m20s. What bizarre timing!

The most anticipated game for me has to be Journey but triple-A-wise I can't wait for Dark Souls, especially for that Limited Edition version.

PS. "kidditch"?

Vrach:

Spud of Doom:

Viruzzo:

ElmerGlue:

Unless this page is out of date, podcasts are pub club exclusive.[1]

[1] Never watched/listened to this before so I could be wrong

qwerty19411:

Vrach:

Spud of Doom:

Viruzzo:

ElmerGlue:

Unless this page is out of date, podcasts are pub club exclusive.

Publishers Club membership lets you download podcasts on every show. There is a podcast download link available to everyone for this. For the people having trouble, it does appear to be downloading correctly now.

qwerty19411:

Odd, as I could download them before just fine. If that's the case though, shame, guess I won't be following the podcast anymore, I never listen to them from the player, always on my phone when biking.

Slycne:

Publishers Club membership lets you download podcasts on every show. There is a podcast download link available to everyone for this. For the people having trouble, it does appear to be downloading correctly now.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up, but still having problems downloading the podcasts using direct links and iTunes. With iTunes and the xml from the player I receive this error for all podcasts:

Vrach:

qwerty19411:

Odd, as I could download them before just fine. If that's the case though, shame, guess I won't be following the podcast anymore, I never listen to them from the player, always on my phone when biking.

I was wrong about this podcast series being downloadable only to pub club members, so it's probably/hopefully just a server blip.

If there's no offline mode for Diablo 3, then it's a no buy for me.

qwerty19411:

Vrach:

qwerty19411:

I was wrong about this podcast series being downloadable only to pub club members, so it's probably/hopefully just a server blip.

Doh, I should read the next post before replying :)

But nope, still doesn't work. It's been like this for a while now actually, I remember trying to download a few podcasts when I was coming back from my vacation to have something to listen to on the bus (was over a week ago) and having the exact same issue (different PC, different connection, I might add)

Slycne:
For the people having trouble, it does appear to be downloading correctly now.

When/where? Still doesn't work from me through any mean, as it's been the case for the last few weeks.
Couldn't they just upload it somewhere on the site instead of trying to tie it in with the file the flash player accesses? BTW with DownloadHelper on Firefox you can still download it easily, as with any other video, but it's annoying (I mean, we have RSS for a reason).

ciancon:
PS. "kidditch"?

You think after 7 books, 8 films and a few games, they could get that right...

StriderShinryu:
Eh.. it seems to me that they didn't really get the idea of why someone would be upset with on disc DLC. I guess that's just the result of having a one way communication stream with the submitted questions but it still ended up with basically a non answer to a reasonable question.

Actually, I thought it was a pretty reasonable answer as to why they do it. Having explained even better that on disc and day one DLC exist(because you can't really waste resources you criminally underpay) to an answer that I am satisfied with. The underpayment of programmers is another story though.

StriderShinryu:

-Dragmire-:
As for the problem with dlc on the disk, it stems from the idea that we bought a license to experience all content on the disk. To say that the license doesn't apply to parts of the content on the disk devalues the product in the eyes of some/most people(I can't really say what amount of people agree or disagree with this).

I agree with these chaps. Yall seem to think the complaint about on-disc DLC is that it's on the disc. There are lots of reasons people complain about on-disc DLC (note: "it's on the disc" isn't one of them). Some examples are the implication that you do not own what you hold in your hand as you walk out of the video game store. That has massive potential for abuse if it becomes commonplace, which it has. Another is the perception that content that once would have been included in the purchase price of the game is now being sold separately as premium content, resulting in a loss of value to purchasers. You seemed to mention this but then either overlooked it or just dismissed it without explanation. It's not that it's on the disc. Putting it on the disc causes or increases the perception that it should have been in the original game. To convince me that fears about on-disc DLC are baseless, you need to convince me that I am not getting less for my money because of the hope to nickel-and-dime me through on-disc DLC. And you're never going to convince everyone because that is very subjective and no one who didn't work on the game has all the facts. Personally, I think several developers do this, Bioware included. But I don't recall anyone complaining because they didn't have to download something.

[EDIT]: I made a smart ass comment, but decided to edit it out and offer this apology.

vxicepickxv:
Having explained even better that on disc and day one DLC exist(because you can't really waste resources you criminally underpay) to an answer that I am satisfied with.

Could you put this another way, please? I am not sure what you are saying.

Haven't watched it yet (saving for m ritualistic League of Legends PODCAST Sunday morning, but I just wanted to say I'm happy the podcast is back!

Im guessing this has been asked a thousand times but is there any way to download these? I cant get it to work :(

I'm disappointed. My question was side stepped. I'm hoping it's being filed away for a future response in a more appropriate episode.

Yes, game trailers, updates, the hype can give away far too much. Then you get the game, and this isn't a deep novel, you have already bled out a lot of the experience and lapped it up previously.

I'm not sure the diablo trading system will improve the gaming experience. An obsession with accounting can take so much away from standard dnd, players weighing the return value of an axe of whatever, is not deep in the game and surging ahead. I can see the scaled pulled out now. It is a bit of a sad way for Diablo to go. Perhaps this was always doomed to happen.

On Disk DLC - This only upsets people who believe that they own everything on the disk.
You don't own anything on the disk, you own the disk AND a license to play the game.
The disk is just a convenient way to get the paid for content to your console/PC. This has always been the case.

It is perfectly fine to include Premium content on the disk which must be paid for separately for it to be made available.

It is entirely the same as a shareware game offered for download for free which also contains the content for the full game - content which is locked until the game has been purchased.

There is no difference between DLC and ODDLC.

There is an issue of freedom however which has appeared (which many people may not have noticed or perhaps haven't considered the impact of) due to the online-ification of games.

In older disk based games on PC or Console, as long as you had the means to play the game, you could play the game. Many years from the day the game was initially purchased. That freedom could not be revoked (accidentally or deliberately) while the player had the tools needed to play. As long as you have a working console or PC of that generation and the disk, you're good to go.

Now there is a change in how games are played. By requiring on-line authentication, you need permission to access the licensed content.

The difference here is that this permission can be revoked and the game may not be playable in the future due to conditions not of your own making.
This can be a deliberate act on the company's part or an accidental outage.

An outage can be from a number of factors:
The state of the economy,
The health of the company,
The health of the authentication system,
Changes to the company's business model,
The company's willingness to support the authentication of a game long past it's usefulness.
Any of these factors can affect your ability to play.

No matter how benevolent the company seems, in 10 years you won't be playing any game you're playing today which needs on-line authentication to play and your DLC will no longer be supported unless there is a solid business reason for the company to do so.

The 100% offline disk based freedoms are now gone.

Who is breathing into the mic... I can't... un... hear it. lol

Boo I wish there was more podcasts, they are entertaining me on night shift at work :<

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here